EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Gifts for Egyptians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gifts for Egyptians
amiraah
Member # 10079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amiraah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in California. I will be visiting Egypt in March (Alexandria) with my fiance. What kind of gift should I bring for his family? They are fairly well off. I don't want to be too cheap, yet I can't afford to break the bank. I have a very good relationship with them (emails, phone, online chats...) The family includes women in their 60's, women in their 20's, babies, and various children under 7 (girls and boys).

Also, what is the weather like in March in Alexandria?

I appreciate your help.

Posts: 10 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try consulting fiance first. He has the best outlook on both you're sceneries. I would consider not-done things like giving figurative objects to strict muslims.

I am a bit jealous of you, I always wanted to visit Alex in March, but we did stick to summerholidays. Unless it rains it should be a perfect wheather.
I brought for my coptic orthodox FIL. Bunches of chocolates, souvenirs like ashtrays and plates on the wall (Dutch china with mills, farmers and cows!:-), personal stuff like hypo-allergene bodymilk for my MIL and mosquito-candles for those living on the farm. Black silk shawls for widows. Religious objects from Jerusalem and Rome.
Children: colourbooks and pencils. For more close relatives dolls with clothes, electric toys, a countingmachine for a schoolboy, whatever is 'cool' at the moment like 'Bidaman' now or a 3D picturebook of Harry Potter. I get my SIL several hairpins and alike.
Little golden sewingpurses for my MIL's with this handy thing to pull a thread through a needle. Several glasses who are very cheap here sometimes for MIL.
And always a photobook for my MIL with pictures of us and the children and my parents, brothers and sisters and daily life here.

Demiana

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, definately consult first!
I read on here somewhere that clothes were always acceptable so I texted my BF (who I had only met once before when we first met) to ask if he would like a football shirt (he's really into English football) and if so which team and the next day he said sorry he had deleted the text accidentally - so I texted again and no answer so I figured I had made a booboo of some sort.
When I saw him he explained he had felt offended but realised I didn't mean to offend him so he didn't know what to do so he pretended I hadn't asked.
He thought I was trying to say 'you're from Egypt you're too poor to buy your own clothes' whereas in England a lot of men rush out every year and buy the latest football shirt for £50 or whatever regardless of whether they need a new shirt!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com