EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Travel Advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Travel Advice
Janine@Scotland
Member # 10161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janine@Scotland   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am travelling to Egpyt next week with my 12 year old son, can enyone give me any advice re safety.
Posts: 4 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet
Member # 9451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Janine, where are you going to be in Egypt? I live in Luxor & it's very safe here, feel much safer than UK, where I lived up to 8 months ago. You will have to get used to hassle from all the people trying to sell things, ask you to take taxi or caleche. But they are only trying to earn a living & if you are polite & friendly they will appreciate it. Just be careful & make sure you are not 'ripped off', it does happen sometimes. If you would like to send me a private message we can discuss things further. Be happy to give you any help or advice. Enjoy Egypt when you get here, it's a very special country.
Take care, hope to hear from you soon.

Posts: 33 | From: Luxor | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are going to Cairo, prepare him by explaining about the extra security measures..i.e. police and lots of soldiers with guns...he will probably think all the guns are cool since he is 12...only drink bottled water..no matter what! and a prominent member of egypt exploration society gave me the best advice..only eat it if it's cooked or has to be peeled..stick with that rule and you will be fine..i had no problems...as janet said many people will bother you for everything from taxis to selling little packs of tissue everywhere and they really are only trying to make a few pounds..they live on very little ..definitely have toilet paper everywhere you go..it is not provided..even at the cairo museum...have fun!

--------------------
life life long, for it is short...pandora

Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Janine
WET WIPES are a must!! Get a big tub and then dispense into smaller container for your bag when you go out.
Great for toilet, and wiping before and after eating. Some toilets are filthy!!
Very friendly, safe place to visit night or day. Loads of tourists around and most locals speak the lingo.
I drank bottled kept to the rules and was sick , and had shits!!every time. Last 3 times I drank from the tap, ate in local restaurants and never a problem!!
Cant explain, maybe I have built up immunity???
Take lots of pens, coloured, fancy for the kids who bother you for baksheesh . They love pens. You will see desperate poverty but they are happy and friendly. Have a great trip.
[Wink]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janine@Scotland
Member # 10161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janine@Scotland   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again thanks to everyone who has replied, I have felt quite dubious about the trip all week but I am now really excited. Your advice has been great and i have passed information onto my son Dylan. I'm sure we will have a great time and be respectful of Egypts culture and people.

Thanks X

Posts: 4 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boy, did i have jet lag!..but i live 10 hours time difference from Egypt and my flight home took 34 hours with layovers and the flight there took 24!!
I forgot to mention..for the stomach...if you eat yogurt everyday..the beneficial bacteria can keep you from stomach problems..Have fun!! Let me know how it goes...

--------------------

Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janine@Scotland
Member # 10161

Rate Member
Hi folks, my flight is only 5 1/2 hours and a few hours time difference so hopefully no probs with Jet Lag. Will remember the yoghurt.
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
yeah, when i got to egypt i didn't feel the jetlag..but did have a bad cold..it was when i went home...i did research and traveled changing towns every three-four days for a month..so, by the time i left at 1 am (cairo) and arrived 2 days later at 10 pm San Francisco....even though it was only 1 day according to the calendar..(i still had a 6 hour drive home!) i was tired...hahaha..i just probably pushed too hard while in egypt...between the language difference and the culture difference..i was up to meet my driver/take a bus or train/boat at 7 am egypt time-5pm my time every day because i had so much to see in a short time...i met so many great people along the way, tough..i look forward to my next trip in may to luxor when i will just holiday and do it your way...sounds so much more relaxing that way...i am not sure i can sleep after sunrise though..i will have to work on that ne..

--------------------

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madame Mohamed:
You and your son will have a great time I'm sure.

I was speaking to one of my girlfriends last night who's been wanting to visit me in Cairo for a long time. The problem is she has a ten year old daughter and doesn't want to take her with her because she's afraid the girl will be bored to death and not enjoy the holiday at all. In a way she's right, Cairo is not really a city for kids to enjoy and there isn't much you can do with them as a tourist. If anyone has ideas or suggestions on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

[Cool]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should always check with the British Embassy and Commonwealth Office in the UK about travel to Egypt. The official line is "There is a high threat of terrorism in Egypt"

In the past two days there have been open demonstrations in the streets of Cairo and Luxor, and there has been more trouble in Sharm and possibly Hurghada concerning these cartoons of the Prophet. Religious tension is therefore running high. Posters have been put in some shops to tell the Dutch to go home. Presumably, the problem will escalate before it gets better. So if you are worried go direct to the Foreign Office Travel information office and take your advice from them.

Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs D...... you're spouting crap AGAIN!!!
These cartoons were common knowledge in Hurghada weeks ago.... there is no trouble there at all!!!
If you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to DON'T TALK!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Doubtfire:

In the past two days there have been open demonstrations in the streets of Cairo and Luxor, and there has been more trouble in Sharm and possibly Hurghada concerning these cartoons of the Prophet.

The demonstrations in Cairo got reported in US papers as being peaceful -- no incidents.... [Confused]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Doubtfire:

In the past two days there have been open demonstrations in the streets of Cairo and Luxor, and there has been more trouble in Sharm and possibly Hurghada concerning these cartoons of the Prophet.

The demonstrations in Cairo got reported in US papers as being peaceful -- no incidents.... [Confused]
I highly doubt that any protest in Cairo could be peaceful.

US newsmedia said that there was little harm done to the Sudanese after their protest. That the Sudanese were mainly hurt by the push of their own demonstrators.

Then I saw the water gun in a posting over on EM.

I don't trust what I read in the US papers because of that an many other lapses in reporting. [Mad]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia, What about Dreampark for her? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been to Egypt a few times now and returning Easter to Al Menya. I absolutely love the country and have always been made very welcome by the people and have felt safe everytime I have visited more than I do in London. I have never suffered with my stomach and have eaten with the locals and even drank the tap water. I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your son. Enjoy your holiday.
Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karena:
I have been to Egypt a few times now and returning Easter to Al Menya. I absolutely love the country and have always been made very welcome by the people and have felt safe everytime I have visited more than I do in London. I have never suffered with my stomach and have eaten with the locals and even drank the tap water. I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your son. Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks on behalf of the Egy people [Smile]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
i loved el minya as well..less touristy..did you go to tell el amarna?

--------------------

Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pandora, I read your earlier post's and sounds like you had a fab time in El Minya, been to Egypt a few times now but it will be my first time in El Minya and am really looking forward to a less touristy destination. Last time I was in Egypt we stayed with friends in Sharm, beaches and the Old Town really loved. Nema Bay!! not Egypt at all more like Ibiza.
Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

"Thanks on behalf of the Egy people"

Any time Corv

ahmadsoufy
Member # 304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahmadsoufy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs doubtfire u looks like that u came from isreal. so u have be not stuoped julouse bec we are save here in egypt more than ur stuoped isreal
Posts: 107 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Doubtfire, as you know I live here in Hurghada and I'm sorry but this time you are very very wrong. There have been absolutely NO demonstrations here.

ahmadsoufy - you are way out in thinking Mrs. Doubtfire comes from Israel. It's interesting that you jump to that conclusion though!

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahmedsoufy should never be taken serious - his apperently just a kid...

I was in Hurghada with my family when all the fuss about the cartons started. Even though we are from Denmark we never felt unsafe. People was very polite and nice to us. At least the hotel staf was very nice - we did not go out much because of the situation. But we had a blast of a holiday - Hurghada is recommended :-)

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that is a pity you did not go out. If you ever come back again, let me know.

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was in sharm when the whole thing kicked off... only thing we ever saw or heard was on the telly in the hotel. i felt safer there than london!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahmadsoufy
Member # 304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahmadsoufy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corvinous .kossmak ya bin allabwa slamly 3ala koosmak
Posts: 107 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com