EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Im going to egypt in 2 months what do I need to bring/learn thanks :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Im going to egypt in 2 months what do I need to bring/learn thanks :)
icecrystal_mlp
Member # 10324

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for icecrystal_mlp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, im 21/F/Canada going to egypt in two months what kind of things should I bring from home and what should I purchase there? and what should I learn is there alot of english speaking people or should I try and learn the language
Thanks so much for any advice [Smile]
Laura

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shell2Core
Member # 9189

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shell2Core     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st u didnt tell where r u gonaa stay in egypt..Cairo,hurgaa,Sharm or Luxor also u r gonna rent a flat or stay in hotel or stay with a fiend..also r u gonna stay for 2 months or u r coming after 2 monthes or what..
but in general u can use ur english here woithout main problems,alot of people here can speak it,also
1- try to take some medicines with u which u usualy feel comfort with when u catch a cold.
2- take some crames or gell for sun because weather is started to be hot in egypt.
3- try to ask someone in the hotel u staying in or someone u know before u take a Taxi ,about the cost and so on,an make the deal with the taxi driver before u take it.
4- ask some one to write the adress u r going to in a small pare in arabic before u go to that place.
5- dont keep alot of cash in ur pocket or in ur bags ,use visa or master cards to withdraw ur daily needs of money,also keep some egyption cash with u.

Posts: 54 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shell2Core
Member # 9189

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shell2Core     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sun Creams i mean
Posts: 54 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaza
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you dont need to bring anything excpet for your personal things , you can find everything here in Egypt and you dont have to learn arabic as most egyptians understand english althuogh it depends where you are staying during your visit to Egypt, what is the reason for your trip ? and for how long are you staying here and where ? if you need any help let us know , welcome to Egypt in advance [Smile]
god bless

--------------------
HandsUpHandsDown is that american woman who used to be known as "ana huna" in ES! Strange but true.

Posts: 1123 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icecrystal_mlp
Member # 10324

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for icecrystal_mlp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, again im coming to egypt april 27th, I will arrive in ciaro and spend my first 10 days on a tour of egypt then arrive back in ciaro and have the last 20 days free to explore on my own id like to see the red sea and maybe even petra in Jordan if the cost isnt too much I dont really have anything else planned but I really want to absorb the culture. I have been saving for 7 years to go and I have always been in love with your history and culture and this will be a trip of a life time for me.
thanks so much for any help [Smile]
Laura

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaza
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are most welcome and hope you enjoy it here in egypt , stay well and take good care of your self byee [Smile]

--------------------
HandsUpHandsDown is that american woman who used to be known as "ana huna" in ES! Strange but true.

Posts: 1123 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful trip! As Luxor prince said, take sun cream and medicines, that's the most important. Try not to wear short things, try to cover both your legs and shoulders, you will feel more comfortable, it will protect you from the sun, and you will show some respect to the locals, by dressing like that. You could buy now a small book with the most useful Egyptian words and expressions, so you can understand and speak a little, it's lways helpful. But most Egyptians speak English anyway.
Enjoy your time there!

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are making a connecting flight through Europe you might want to get some Euros from your bank so you can buy food, reading materials, and souvenires at the airport.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comfortable flat shoes or trainers, light clothing long sleeved or such
A good Mosquito repellent and after bite
A good sunscreen and lip screen
Windbreaker type jacket
Your fav. pain relief med..tylenol or Advil which ever you prefer
A good thermos or thing to keep water cool that isn't bulky to carry on you
Your favorite walkman or Ipod
Imodium or pepto

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by icecrystal_mlp:
Hi, im 21/F/Canada going to egypt in two months what kind of things should I bring from home and what should I purchase there? and what should I learn is there alot of english speaking people or should I try and learn the language
Thanks so much for any advice [Smile]
Laura

Bring small value bills (I took 1USD bills as it was not possible to get anything less than a 50LE egyptian note in the UK) to tip at the airport and enough toilet paper to tide you over for a few days while you suss it out, your favourite sun cream and a light weight long-sleeved cover up - everything else you can get by. Shorts and strapless tops are really not appropriate so pack lightweight trousers and tops with sleeves.

As soon as you can, amass a pile of small value notes (50piastras, 1LE) for the continual tips you will have to pay. (and a wallet with lots of dividers for the millions of different denomination notes you will acquire would be useful! Coins are very rare.)
In Cairo use the metro rather than taxis if you can - its 75piastras to go anywhere - its pretty easy and the front carriages are reserved for women only (but its not compulsory to get in there).
Also if you are in Cairo invitations on the street to practice english and to visit 'uncles/sisters/aunties small art gallery - just nearby' inevitably end up with 'egyptian hospitality' and a deep wound to the credit card... Given your youth, you are probably not wealthy enough to fall for it too many times!
But take it all in good spirit - and commit the words 'La shokran' to memory (means No thanks).

PS - don't forget now you know about this forum if you do get in a mess and can get on the internet you can always post up here asking for help while you're there!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icecrystal_mlp
Member # 10324

Member Rated:
thanks so much more all the Advie [Smile]
Laura

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hair conditioner
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tenngirl9
Member # 9948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenngirl9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get the Pimsleur Egyptian arabic Cd ( you can purchase online) You will be speaking egyptian arabic very quickly. I found it not too difficult. It teaches language like a child learns language and breaks it down. Im going to egypt for 1st time and i bought the audio book it had 30 lessons on it. After listening to it, i have learned so much and can half way understand what people are saying and somewhat join in conversation. Just go online and type in Pimsleur Language courses, and choose Egyptian arabic as it is different than other Arabic. I have a question too about money, If you change ur money over to LEs can you change it back what you have left to American money before you come back?
Posts: 96 | From: usa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tenngirl9:
get the Pimsleur Egyptian arabic Cd ( you can purchase online) You will be speaking egyptian arabic very quickly. I found it not too difficult. It teaches language like a child learns language and breaks it down. Im going to egypt for 1st time and i bought the audio book it had 30 lessons on it. After listening to it, i have learned so much and can half way understand what people are saying and somewhat join in conversation. Just go online and type in Pimsleur Language courses, and choose Egyptian arabic as it is different than other Arabic. I have a question too about money, If you change ur money over to LEs can you change it back what you have left to American money before you come back?

If you keep the receipt that you are given when you exchange the money, my understanding is you can exchange this amount back before you leave.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try to see black/white desert...if you have the time, you can arrange for a safari/tour company to pick you up in luxor and drive you up via the desert (the bahraia oasis/black/white d is half way btw luxor and cairo, apx. 5-6 hrs from each). typical 3 day trips in oasis include driving on dunes, overnight camping under the stars, etc. it's beautiful! petra/wadi rum is also beautiful and very different from egypt. it's also a much more relaxing place compared to luxor in that vendors there are very polite people and don't hastle you at all.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
hair conditioner

More appropriately leave in hair conditioner with sunscreen.

I went from being a mousy brown/blonde to a light golden blonde within 6 days on my first trip.

In two months back home I had 8 inches cut off due to breakage and damage! [Embarrassed]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amrssnowangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also suggest buying sample or travel packs of toilet paper as they don't give much in public restrooms. And always carry extra money to tip the bathroom attendants. One of the best things I did was to hire a taxi with an arabic speaking friend for a few hours and have him take me through the different sections of Cairo. One of the best things I did!! So many out of the way shops. The bazaar is more expensive to, try to find out of the way shops and be sure to haggle.
Posts: 100 | From: Fredericksburg, VA, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zahra
Member # 8943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zahra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi laura

u r most welcome .....hope to enjoy ur visit

--------------------
zahra

Posts: 44 | From: cairo | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com