EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Special Needs Children

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Special Needs Children
Iberis
Member # 10327

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iberis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a request to anyone travelling to Luxor in the future. Could you possibly find space in your luggage for some toys for a group of children with moderate to severe mental & physical disabilities. 11 children are resident in a home here run by one of the churches. Others attend the centre on a day care basis. The children are well cared for physically & emotionally but lack of funds means resources, toys & play materials are very scarce. These children require stimulation in lots of ways. Toys that make sounds, play music would be great. Also toys which help to improve eye/hand co-ordination, improve muscle strength & gross motor skills. I would be happy to collect any items from people at their hotels. Thanking you in anticipation,
Iberis.

Posts: 14 | From: Luxor | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are a wonderful person, Iberis...I can't help, but maybe others can...

Hey, guys, is on the board someone interested to help? I think it's a worthy cause...

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iberis
Member # 10327

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iberis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your support Sadeeqy even though you can't help in material ways. These children are such happy souls even though some of them have experienced great hardship & neglect in their short lives. Now they live in a safe, caring environment but in material ways they have very little. I was a teacher in the UK & hope to collect a range of toys & materials that will enrich their lives socially & educationally. Once again thanks for your kind words. If only a handful of people can help it's better than nothing!!
Posts: 14 | From: Luxor | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madame.E
Member # 9974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madame.E   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iberis, I have PM'D you

--------------------
Success......... is a journey

www.we-all-earn.co.uk (quote AMT)

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iberis
Member # 10327

Rate Member
Come on guys, there must be more people who can help. I've only had one real offer so far. Please think about it, any help, however small will be greatly appreciated by this hard working group of people. We need to provide activities & resources to enrich these kid's lives.
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also cannot help directly, but I d like to say that early intervention as your program provides is the key to an easier adult life for these kids.
I work in disabilities field , with adults with mild to moderate intellectual disablilty and autism spectrum,often with secondary psych. issues, placing them in work and supporting them.
The ones who have had good early intervention are the ones who will have a good chance at good quality life experiences.It is really exactly like an investment for a good community.

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iberis,
If you could mail me in private, I could send you're initiative to a friend of mine that does have a travelagency to Egypt. I could ask her to pass a text on to her clients.
What to bring and how to get in touch with you or the institution. I am sorry I am not going myself. We always go to Alex.

Demiana

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the message Iberis,

I have passed it on, hopefully you will get some response from people going to Luxor.

For others, you can also donate to SOSkinderdorpen, a originally German initiative that (together with an Egypt organisation, set up by different first ladies of Egypt) shelters and educates orphaned kids in a family- and communitylike surrounding. They have 3 villages in Egypt amongst other initiatives. I contribute to the Alexandrian village.

I am not sure if there is an English website.

http://www.soskinderdorpen.nl/cgi-bin/sos/jsp/wherewehelp.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0209906782.1142781198@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddheflgggicfngcfkmdhkhdffj.0&site=NL&lang=nl&nav=2.3&c=1155 7&ct=14359&v=0

Demiana

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
oke found it

http://www.sos-childrensvillages.org/

They work only with local people.

Demiana

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iberis, if you PM me more details about the charity I can leave a note on a Luxor based forum. That might reach more people that could offer practical help.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com