EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Don't wear bright red in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't wear bright red in Cairo
Bilqees
Member # 786

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bilqees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was the advice I was given by a friend who spent one year in Cairo (about 6 years ago). She said not to wear bright red trousers or shirts.Didn't get a chance to ask her reasons. Is this true? Any reasons why?
Thanks for your help!
B xx

Posts: 14 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talal
Member # 827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for talal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not true. its the sillliest thing i have heard about in living 60 years
Posts: 21 | From: cairo, cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talal
Member # 827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for talal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not true. its the sillliest thing i have heard about in living 60 years
Posts: 21 | From: cairo, cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Civil Disobedience
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Civil Disobedience         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that if you're wearing red you might stop traffic but that's probably not true either, as the red and green traffic lights here are just for decoration.
Posts: 252 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bilqees
Member # 786

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bilqees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Ok I know its a stupid question. Just what I heard maybe my mistake - and I suppose as I am just about to move out to Cairo I am just being extra cautious and paranoid about doing the wrong thing! But I've heard so many different stories about the city and its people its getting harder to know what to believe and what to ignore...In future I'll trust my own common sense and wait for the rest to see what Egypt is like for myself!
But thanks! B xx

Posts: 14 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sarajevo
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sarajevo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what she meant. haha You can dress one day all in red, (shirt and trousers) and u will see what reaction u will get. Just make sure its really bright red. LOL

I think u would be visible to the people who are flying in the plane above of Cairo.

Posts: 1590 | From: Usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flupke
Member # 725

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flupke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people will actually like it when you are wearing red because it's the colour of the soccerteam El Ahly , so they will appreciate it !

quote:
Originally posted by Bilqees:
This was the advice I was given by a friend who spent one year in Cairo (about 6 years ago). She said not to wear bright red trousers or shirts.Didn't get a chance to ask her reasons. Is this true? Any reasons why?
Thanks for your help!
B xx

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sky drummer
Member # 1064

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sky drummer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
miss sarajevo.. that's so funny LOL
Posts: 22 | From: egypt | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sarajevo
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Sarajevo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL sky,

Oh we have so many jokes about "bright red" clothes,,,,especially "yellow", hehe....

Posts: 1590 | From: Usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CheckThisOut
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CheckThisOut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Moderated Forum http://www.youregypt.com/forum/index.php

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flupke:
Some people will actually like it when you are wearing red because it's the colour of the soccerteam El Ahly , so they will appreciate it !

Flupke is right!

There is one day you can’t wear red. The day of the Ahly and Zamliek soccer match especially if Zamliek won because they will run after you to kick ur ass.

LOL

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of red clothing in a photo sure makes the colour composition better.

But I can't guarantee U what will happen if U'll wear a bright red clothes in the streets, may be other guys can tell U..lol

If I will be sure that bright red shirt will attract guys to U, so tomorrow may be I will go work with a bright red tie...........lol

N.B. for those who may will think bad, a bright red tie to attract girls not guys........lol

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
like2bactive
Member # 4755

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for like2bactive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bilqees, u r not asking silly question, and ur friend is right in her advice 2 u not 2 wear red cloth, as WE Egyptian guys r well known of being like bulls or oxen when a spanish Matador is trying 2 agitate by the red fabric he is holding, do u know what is his punishment 4 that? r u cleaver enough 2 avoid our horns without hurt? or maybe we r well known as being sharks that red color make their appetite 4 blood high..so r u ready 4 a bloody day? ..girls u r driving me crazy..is this the kind of ideas and questions about Egyptian society in 2004? so what would be ur inquires about Egyptian people if u were intending 2 visit us 1800s or 1900s? .. please ladies we r not those Arab bedouin riding camels, ask Egyptian girls about red-colored cloth and underwear they r wearing all day and night ..God bless their souls, and ours too..cheers
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asiaq
Member # 4323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asiaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by like2bactive:
Bilqees, u r not asking silly question, and ur friend is right in her advice 2 u not 2 wear red cloth, as WE Egyptian guys r well known of being like bulls or oxen when a spanish Matador is trying 2 agitate by the red fabric he is holding, do u know what is his punishment 4 that? r u cleaver enough 2 avoid our horns without hurt? or maybe we r well known as being sharks that red color make their appetite 4 blood high..so r u ready 4 a bloody day? ..girls u r driving me crazy..is this the kind of ideas and questions about Egyptian society in 2004? so what would be ur inquires about Egyptian people if u were intending 2 visit us 1800s or 1900s? .. please ladies we r not those Arab bedouin riding camels, ask Egyptian girls about red-colored cloth and underwear they r wearing all day and night ..God bless their souls, and ours too..cheers

LOL the question is from year 2002!!
but that's rigth you are liek bulls that's why she ask so she ditt't waste money for read g-trousers

Posts: 363 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliGirl
Member # 4409

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for CaliGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Bilqees,
After reading your question I had to answer with this information I read in another post recently. Read this in gayegypt.com in which they encourage "gay and straight tourist brothers and sisters" to "wear RED as a sign of unity with Egypt's repressed gay community". Also states the more red the better!! So, I am not sure if your friend's advise was due to this (since it was a while back) but maybe now there is a new meaning to wearing this color. Hope this helps you.
Salam

quote:
Originally posted by Bilqees:
Thanks for your help!
B xx

------------------

Posts: 62 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com