EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egypt Search in the Old Days

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt Search in the Old Days
niledoc
Member # 313

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for niledoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you want to see what this board was like when it first started?
http://web.archive.org/web/20001022045751/http://www.egyptsearch.com/foru ms/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

And the month after Debbie had just joined?
http://web.archive.org/web/20010406145127/http://egyptsearch.com/forums/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

And the month after I joined?
http://web.archive.org/web/20010806182448/http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Sure is a very different place...

[This message has been edited by niledoc (edited 16 November 2002).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dhbolton
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for dhbolton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually find that somewhat comforting. Out of the eight replies to posts:

1 is a baseless, nasty attack
2 pickup attempts
1 is a helpful political tirade

so...it's not just the current members.

Dan

Posts: 529 | From: Falls Church, Virginia, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sarajevo
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Sarajevo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with dhbolton.

Another thing I noticed. The threads from the past did not have even close number of replies. Today, almost every thread is "Burning" with replies, some of them reach over 100....while in the past....you get 1, 2....maybe 10 and thats it.

Pretty boring....

Today this board is changing into WORLDWIDE place where people dont have to LIVE in Egypt to participate...but they can be a members living in any country and having 1 thing in common "Egypt", either is future point of visit or simply "the favorite country of interest".

So, I like it now better.

Except that, we are arranging the gatherings not just in Egypt but in other parts of the World as well, and all of us have again 1 common interest "Egypt"...so its more fulfilling. It fulfills all members, not just ones who LIVE in Egypt...

The Egypt is not just about "Tourism". There are people who are intersted educationally, professionally, charities, marriages, children connections, research, friendships, relationships, writtings, books, newspapers, investments, business, fun etc.....

[This message has been edited by Miss Sarajevo (edited 16 November 2002).]

Posts: 1590 | From: Usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Debbie and Niledoc,
I posted a message at one point during the mudslinging days of last week under this new alias- and everyone got on my case about it. No, I'm not commonsense, carefully plotting my spelling mistakes and disguising my gender And yes, I did post a few times under a different name in the "history" days but I cannot for the life of me remember my password and the email account I used to register has long been closed. Anyway, my tone may have been too familiar as a newbie but I guess I didn't consider myself one as I've been reading the board on/off for a couple of years now (which is probably why it seems like I know everyone and people thought I was someone else). Though in the last 6 months, it's more off than on (you can guess the reason I bet).

Anyway...I just wanted to say a big, big thank you to you both. Your numerous posts really helped me when I was planning my move to Cairo and both of you provided the kind of invaluable expat advice and viewpoint that even my egyptian friends couldn't help with. I think I only found the need to post one or two questions ever on this forum. Unfortunate how the place has changed and most of the active members have no experience in the topic of the forum nor are interested much in discussing it. I was looking forward to sharing my experiences with others once I found my bearings in Cairo, and becoming a regular. Unfortunately the tone of this forum has been a real discouragement. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to you both. I, for one, am dissapointed that the uniqueness of this board has been dilluted by the overwhelming, irrelevant, psychological babble by a few attention-seekers.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sarajevo
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Sarajevo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its so funny how people reffer to me in many occasions but they dont mention my nickname. Psychological "babble"..is what this board was missing, and anyway the reality shows its in DEMEND.

I think some ladies here are old and ugly, and getting jealous on young pretty girls who are drawing more attantion even with "bubbling" than some dry boring information which has no depth...and its repeated again and again...in search to make a few dolars here ot there (eventually).

10 more years and they will become "NANA"...in Bosnian...and "BABA" in Serbian...there is no equivalent in English so far to describe it.. and they will be in need for personal assistence to get to a computer...or maybe just find a "maid" and let her keep her nickname alive. LOL!

As far as myself, I am full of energy and has plans to bring the Tourist expert for Egypt, highly educated, speak several world languages, not jealous and mostly very friendly and non disrciminatory person..... to become a member of the board and eventually show you what you havent seen yet.
Just to add some quality for the people interested in Tourism...

Posts: 1590 | From: Usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Its so funny how people reffer to me in many occasions but they dont mention my nickname. Psychological "babble"..is what this board was missing, and anyway the reality shows its in DEMEND.
I think some ladies here are old and ugly, and getting jealous on young pretty girls who are drawing more attantion even with "bubbling" than some dry boring information which has no depth...and its repeated again and again...in search to make a few dolars here ot there (eventually).

10 more years and they will become "NANA"...in Bosnian...and "BABA" in Serbian...there is no equivalent in English so far to describe it.. and they will be in need for personal assistence to get to a computer...or maybe just find a "maid" and let her keep her nickname alive. LOL!

As far as myself, I am full of energy and has plans to bring the Tourist expert for Egypt, highly educated, speak several world languages, not jealous and mostly very friendly and non disrciminatory person..... to become a member of the board and eventually show you what you havent seen yet.
Just to add some quality for the people interested in Tourism...

Well, Miss Sarajevo, it didn't last long, did it? The new, kind, respectful Miss S who doesn't say things 'insulting, hurtful or hateful'.? It was only three days ago you said that. And it's so funny how you refer to people without mentioning their nicknames...

You deride those younger than you for their ignorance and inexperience and you deride those older for... their age and ugliness...oh and jealousy!

1. Age: I don't know how old you are, but you're not getting any younger and you will be as old as the older members of this board one day. Do you have a fundamental contempt for anyone older than you? What is it about older people that arouses your hostility exactly?

2. Ugliness: you may have heard the expression 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. Well beauty is certainly NOT just a physical thing. To use some of your own psychobabble it's in the heart, and I see precious little of it in your own heart sometimes. This is an internet forum where we know very little about each other in real life. One of the wonderful advantages of anonymous communication is that WE ARE ALL EQUAL; we do not prejudge each other by looks, age or any other physical characteristic. Everyone's ideas are welcome and valid. NOBODY is superior by virtue of beauty, youth, education, wealth, gender, class, race etc. We enjoy the diversity.

3. Jealousy. Jealous of what exactly, Miss S? This is a theme you repeat frequently. Since most people know almost nothing real about you, nor you about most people here, what could anyone possibly be jealous of? You repeatedly say how pretty, smart, successful etc you are. This self-aggrandizement may or may not be justified, but do you think this makes you a more valuable human being than the rest of the members? Does this make you superior in some way?

I am totally shocked by your blatant ageism in this post and sheer nastiness.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss S, why did you reply to this? You post rude remarks to all else who even dare post a reply on a topic which you deem as private yet you feel you're exempt from your own rules?

This stuff about jealousy and me being old was kind of amusing since you're just an alias on my computer and you've no idea if I'm 18 or 58, let alone what I look like. (But here’s a hint to my age…most old people don’t move half way across the world for fun & adventure). Really, this was a lovely thread and I was thanking a couple of really generous, kind people who helped me out. If you feel that providing valuable information on how to settle and live in Cairo in a forum called Living in Egypt is dry and boring and people would prefer to see more of your posts...well, that's your opinion and I leave it at that. I would appreciate if you allowed me the same courtesy in expressing my opinion.

I apologize for the bit of cynicism at the end of my previous post to the rest of the members - I didn’t realize Miss S was going to jump all over it and decide it was referring to her specifically or exclusively.

Please, Miss S, show us the "good person" and edit out the nastiness and I will too. Let’s not start another embarrassing thread full of insults.

Thank you.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dunes
Member # 703

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dunes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, now citizen chill out! Don’t make this more than it is :-). You said a lot about your how you feel about your age, I guess this has to do with the way you see yourself and the relationship you are involved in. If I’m not mistaken you are the 39 year-old with the 23 year old boyfriend? Some posts are as personal as you want them too be, chill out and relax. Enjoy the board! :-)

I personally have been an active member since February and I must admit it was real boring and dominated by repeated questions and repeated answers when I first joined. It was more like a travel guide and if I wanted that I would just go to www.lonelyplanet.com! In my opinion the past summer was the best this forum offered. Who knows maybe it is a summer thing. I kind of like new members, look at CarFax, he started the picture thingie! The more the better, we can’t rely on the same old(member wise) guard because if we did, it wouldn't be as diverse.

dunes

[This message has been edited by dunes (edited 16 November 2002).]

Posts: 972 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Ahem. On behalf of Niledoc, I would like to point out that she's identified herself as 31 yrs old. Not exactly a grandma.
dunes
Member # 703

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dunes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NileDoc is a babe with a PhD! And the most intelligent, down to earth member on this Forum!

And if you don't know, now you know!

[This message has been edited by dunes (edited 16 November 2002).]

Posts: 972 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sarajevo
Member # 999

Rate Member
LOL!

[This message has been edited by Miss Sarajevo (edited 17 November 2002).]

D Advocate
Member # 537

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for D Advocate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dunes:
If I’m not mistaken you are the 39 year-old with the 23 year old boyfriend

You are mistaken.

Posts: 376 | From: El Minia, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Dunes, you are definitely mistaken. I've never mentioned my age, nationality or relationship status on this board. And I won't, as IT or YOU or someone else would obviously come back to haunt me if I did.

Suffice it to say its VERY FAR from what you think.

I'm a very chilled out person, but I seriously think that anyone who calls another member old or ugly or uneducated or stupid is way out of line. Wouldn't you agree? I mean ExptinCAI was THANKING members for their help, I didn't see any reason why Miss S should then pour such venom over them. I think she was jealous that she wasn't being thanked herself.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moll
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am totally shocked by your blatant ageism in this post and sheer nastiness. [/B][/QUOTE]

Citizen, you and me both!

Miss S, I think you're digging a hole for yourself.

Posts: 561 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
Hi Debbie and Niledoc,
Anyway...I just wanted to say a big, big thank you to you both. Your numerous posts really helped me when I was planning my move to Cairo and both of you provided the kind of invaluable expat advice and viewpoint that even my egyptian friends couldn't help with.

You are more than welcome. As one "old ugly jealous woman to another", (as I'm sure I qualify in that catagory, if you do...LOLOLOLOL) that's what we're here for and if we can help, we will.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Good to hear from you, Debbie. And hats off to you for your classy conduct. I admire the way you never lower yourself to the level of the people who try to insult you on this web site and manage to conduct yourself with dignity, grace, and a touch of humanity at all times. That's what Egyptians would say is being decent and "coming from a good family".
UnkownOne
Member # 1532

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for UnkownOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone im new and i have only two questions ! 1. What is this site about?
2. Where can i find some things for a shool report?On the old kingdom.

Posts: 5 | From: Kingston, Pa, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnkownOne
Member # 1532

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for UnkownOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you all live in egypt? what is it like there? I only live in the US. lol ->
Posts: 5 | From: Kingston, Pa, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Advocate
Member # 537

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for D Advocate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey UnknownOne,

If you are looking for information on the Old Kingdom, try these sites:
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/EGYPT/OLD.HTM
http://www.touregypt.net/ehistory.htm

This site is not about Old Kingdom or any other kingdom.

quote:
Originally posted by UnkownOne:
Do you all live in Egypt? what is it like there? I only live in the US. lol ->

Many of us live in Egypt. Others live in the U.S., Europe, China and other countries. But what is so funny that makes you laugh out loud?

Posts: 376 | From: El Minia, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
niledoc
Member # 313

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for niledoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boycott touregypt. They are blatant violators of all copyright laws and they have ripped off most of the text and images on their website from books without permission. So much for an American company that has permission from the Egyptian ministry of tourism to call themselves their official site.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eszter
Member # 1397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eszter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I took a minute to look at Egyptsearch in old days... LOL! What was goin on??? I couldnt believe my eyes. 1-2 posts per forum? Now its a bit better...
Posts: 89 | From: Hungary, Budapest | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW

niledoc

Registered: Jul 2001 ----> i guess this guy must be dead by now. lol!

[This message has been edited by BahYBasha (edited 15 July 2004).]

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niledoc was a female Egyptologist who used to post here. I wonder what happen to her. She is alive an kicking.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BahYBasha:
WOW

niledoc

Registered: Jul 2001 ----> i guess this guy must be dead by now. lol!

[This message has been edited by BahYBasha (edited 15 July 2004).]

She was working on the Theban Mapping Project until that completed. i wonder what she is doing now.

amusing to see all the old names though

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She posts around an Egyptology message board called the Guardian.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
Member # 2262

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Carmen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She left after Miss Sarajevo. They were good friends and I guess they didn't feel comfortable with the 'environment'then which was a bit hostile.

------------------
Visit our community for women only at: http://pub163.ezboard.com/bthenewtreehouse

Posts: 119 | From: Spain, Madrid | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Debbie and Niledoc,
I posted a message at one point during the mudslinging days of last week under this new alias- and everyone got on my case about it. No, I'm not commonsense, carefully plotting my spelling mistakes and disguising my gender And yes, I did post a few times under a different name in the "history" days but I cannot for the life of me remember my password and the email account I used to register has long been closed. Anyway, my tone may have been too familiar as a newbie but I guess I didn't consider myself one as I've been reading the board on/off for a couple of years now (which is probably why it seems like I know everyone and people thought I was someone else). Though in the last 6 months, it's more off than on (you can guess the reason I bet).

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

LOL Sodomon. There is a huge difference when you come on a board once, post. Then you come on the board half a year later and you have no idea what your password is, so you have to use another nick.

Are you too thick to get that using double identities means AT THE SAME TIME AND PRETENDING YOU ARE NOT THE SAME PERSON.

No, you can't be because it's obvious from the writing style (you so desperately try to vary but fail to) that you do know how to do this.

You SERIOUSLY had NOTHING BETTER TO DO than to do a search on my nickname and read all these old posts from years back?

That is seriously pathetic.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You SERIOUSLY had NOTHING BETTER TO DO than to do a search on my nickname and read all these old posts from years back?

That is seriously pathetic.

My thoughts exactly. She has been digging up old posts like she has NOTHING else to do with her day. She's supposed to be a student, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to buy into that story. Students need to spend some time studying, don't they? And she is married...so she says. Doesn't she spend any time with her husband. I think I spend too much time here, but there is NO WAY I could sit here at ES long enough to dig through 4, 5 or 6 year old posts to find something I wanted to bring to light for everyone.

Sad! Sad! Sad! A bit unbelievable and unreal too. Too bad really that MS and Sonomod weren't here at the same time...they would have enjoyed each other a lot.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
My thoughts exactly. She has been digging up old posts like she has NOTHING else to do with her day. She's supposed to be a student, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to buy into that story. Students need to spend some time studying, don't they? And she is married...so she says. Doesn't she spend any time with her husband. I think I spend too much time here, but there is NO WAY I could sit here at ES long enough to dig through 4, 5 or 6 year old posts to find something I wanted to bring to light for everyone.

Sad! Sad! Sad! A bit unbelievable and unreal too. Too bad really that MS and Sonomod weren't here at the same time...they would have enjoyed each other a lot.

I don't use this forum to promote my business.

I have some unpopular views of how foreigners live their lives in Egypt. Basically khawagas do things in Egypt they would never to in their home countries. What does that say about their level of respect for Egyptians?

I spend alot of time online due to 2 classes being totally online includding the textbooks.

I combine these forums, blogs, websites with webcrawlers or 'spides' so when I need certian info I can get it quick so me and my husband can discuss the next planning level of our move.

Sour grapes Debbie. Sour grapes. Some of the threads you had deleted ended up on more than 2 archives.

The more you bash me the more your deleted agenda seems believable.

What do I do with my day, I sleep no more than 3-5 hours and always have. I do too much.

yirja' rujuw li madfan madaafin, saagiT a iyn Gawwaad.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com