EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » meeting someone online

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: meeting someone online
liza-m27
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for liza-m27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know how to start. well first thing is first. well i am a first timer here, and the reason i decided to post something here is because i am totally miserable.8 months ago i met this really nice guy in a chat room who lives in egypt. he is a wonderful guy and all. now the problem is this, i live in the States and of egyptian origin, my parents are pretty traditionalist and all, and totally TOUGH! this egyptian guy would love to meet me and see me and if things go well would like to marry me, and i am for it too. but as i know my parents they would neverrrrrrr hear of it.....but i really want the guy so much. what do i do?how to i convince them? they are really hard headed......
and please people let's not go through the age factor and that it's 2003 not 1800s and that a woman has the right i mean ok ok but i would love my parents to be happy with it and i would love their blessings. i don't want it to end up where i'd leave them and still marry the guy.
plz i need some really go advice or ideas on how to convince them.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wizza
Member # 2320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wizza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi liza,
I might be able to offer some advice for your problem. If you like, you can email me wizza202@yahoo.ca

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I don't get it. If you are Egyptian (of Egyptian origin) then what beef do your parents have with the guy? I would think they would be happy that you met a real Egyptian to marry. Are you just barely of Egyptian origin.... I mean a great great grandmother somewhere in your past was Egyptian or are your parents first generation immigrants? That would make a big difference I suppose.

You talk about an age difference, but you don't tell us what ages you are. Why not think of convincing your mom or dad (who ever is of Egyptian origin) to take a vacation to Egypt with you and meet this boy. The holiday can be more for looking up family and all of that (which I think parents would be more willing to accept) but the possibility of meeting this boy in real life should be your focus and to introduce him to your parents.

Good luck.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liza-m27
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for liza-m27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks wizza202 i would love to hear some tips/ideas from u. i will email u later today but not at the moment as i am at work. yes saturday but my coffee shop is busy.
Debbie there is no age gap between me and the guy, he is a few months older than me. i just ment that being 27 or 28 u've got to be independent but i don't wanna do anything without my parent's approval and blessings.and yes my parents are 1st generation immigrants. they just see that meeting someone online is a great risk and it is not worth it

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liza-m27
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for liza-m27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wizza202,
here is my email would love to hear from you.
liza_m27@hotmail.com

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see that they would think meeting someone on line is risky, but the fact, again, that he is Egyptian should be in your favor. Hey, it was them that took you away from Egypt and gave you little hope of meeting Egyptian men in America that would be proper to marry.

Use that as your tactic....tell them all the boys in America are such pigs and all of that, and that you really want a "nice Egyptian boy" as a husband, and see if that doesn't make them feel better. And, hey, what about making a trip to Egypt? Have you ever been here? Don't they have relatives you all should be visiting? I think you can swing this your way, if you play your cards right. Egyptian parents will always be Egyptian parents, and I just can't believe that your father thinks that the boys you have access to there in the states are better for you than one in Egypt. LOL

Good luck.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momo_bone
Member # 2018

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for momo_bone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
liza-m27,
Hm....in fact, there are egyptian guy who pretend they are so nice, lovely & friendly. For them, it is so easy to say I love you, dont rush thing, because you still didnt meet him yet, who knows you both are suitable for each other or not?

Posts: 16 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liza-m27
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for liza-m27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhhhhhhhh totally lost. thanks wizza202 and debbie for ur advice and help, however believe me it won't help, i mean been there done that, they are just so dam hard headed. i mean if ur of egyptian origins u'd know how egyptian parents are, a no is a no......and i wish my brother and sister were helpful and supportive.my bro just wants to make my parents happy and my sister is darn scared of my parents and me in the middle lost. but all i know is i won't give up the guy for that. i just hope that one day i'd go to egypt and my parents would come and see him. he truely is a wonderful guy.my parents are worried that he would be interested in the Visa only, but really he doesn't wanna leave egypt at all,he is one of those people that thinks that egypt with all it's problems is still a nice place to live in, and i believe in that.i've been in the States for 14 years and i really hate it and my dream would be able to go back to egypt, i feel i don't belong here. anyways i guess i bored u with all my chit chatting.
peace

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, of course you haven't bored us with your chit chatting.

That's what these boards are for - people looking for advice, giving advice or just wanting to get things down in text as a way of thinking out loud to themselves or just to get something off their chest.

If it wasn't for message boards on all sorts of websites, I'd have cracked up long ago.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
I have to get more nosey now. Is this guy from a significantly lower class than your family? That is the only reason I can see them behaving this way. I wonder because of the comment you made about the parents being worried that all the boy wants is the visa. I think that is kind of weird if everything else is equal. I mean, isn't that sort of the pot calling the kettle black? I mean, they managed to get their family visa's somehow, and although I have NO idea how they did that, they should understand better than most people in America how important that is to some. Why they won't even meet him or talk to him is a mystery, unless you and he are from different social levels and/or your parents perceive this since they have made the trip to America and he hasn't. Are they that way to everyone in Egypt or just this boy? Does he have as good an education as your father has, or, let's say, your cousins in Egypt? If he is uneducated or lower class for any other reason, that explains everything, I think.
ayman2
Member # 1722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ayman2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
liza-m27,
1) You have to meet that person in the flesh to assess the situtaion of this relationship. After that meeting, if you are still convinced then he has to meet your family and you have to meet his family.

Healthy relationships can not develop between persons who have never met in real life.

2) There are hundreds of thousands of perons in US of Egyptian origin who share closer circumstances to you. Why aren't you pursuing that route?

best wishes.

they managed to get their family visa's somehow, and although I have NO idea how they did that

Debbie,
1) Most Egyptians (same as other nationalities) who reside in the US had arrived to study (F visa) or work (H visa). Within 5-10 years they get a permenant residence status (green card). 5 years later they get citizenship.
That means it is very normal for anyone who has resided in US for 10-15 years to be a US citizen. It is clear from the message that liza-m27 family have been residing in the US for more than 15 years and they are US citizens.

2) liza-m27 said she is of Egyptian origin. That means she has spent all her adulthood and at least most of her life in the US. Why do you assume then that she would be automatically compatable with a person who lived all his life in another country and they have never met and their only communication is the internet?
She probably has better chance of compatability among the hundreds of thousands of persons in the US of Egyptian origin who share closer circumstances to her.

3) Her family's fear of his motive is no different from any of the other fears expressed in this board from relatives of women involved in an internet relationship with Egyptians living in Egypt who might be using her and have their motive getting a very quick and easy way to immigration to US/Europe. As I said before, the normal sincere way takes at least 10-15 years.

thanks

Ayman

[This message has been edited by ayman2 (edited 26 June 2003).]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ayman2:

Debbie,

Why do you assume then that she would be automatically compatable with a person who lived all his life in another country and they have never met and their only communication is the internet?

I'm not assuming anything of the kind, but I'm not assuming that the relationship is doomed either, and I am still surprised that her mother and father are so adamantly against her meeting a boy from Egypt, whether they met on the Internet or not.

ayman2
Member # 1722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ayman2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
and I am still surprised that her mother and father are so adamantly against her meeting a boy from Egypt, whether they met on the Internet or not.

Ofcourse I do not condone their position either.
however, I am not surprised. I have known at least one case of a well educated well to do person who tried marrying an Egyptian-American only to be interrogated by her father about his "real motive of aquiring citizenship thru marrying her".

Some persons who have made the american dream "citizenship, a large suburbian house, two family cars, family income in five digits ...." are very suspicous of anyone living all his life in egypt even though they used to be in his same economical/social level before they immigrated to the US. I am suspecting that this is the case in liza-m27 parents and thus an Egyptian-american husband would be much easier route.

If she wants the more difficult route, then she has to go to Egypt and meet that person face to face inspite of her parents objections.

[This message has been edited by ayman2 (edited 27 June 2003).]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viria
Member # 2376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
liza-m27
Why don't you try to meet an egyptian guy here in the States, my guy is egyptian and is a perfect gentleman, I also met him online three months ago, but you see: we see eachother every other day, talk on the phone every day and IM the night he does not come here. And, on top of that he is a lawyer, fly planes and plays the base in a rock group. he is so talented! After searching for so long, looking for just white guys, I was blind, and all of the sudden, he emailed me, he didn't even have a pic of him on the site, but he was funny and really sweet (are all egyptian guys like that? lol) Now I feel very content with how things are going. I suggest you to meet a guy near you, somebody you can reach easily, to go out to the movies, roller blading, to the park, or just cuddle in the couch and watch a movie or listen to music like I do with my guy. That helps make a relationship stronger, caressing and kissing is very important too....just think about how many things like this you have done with your guy!

Posts: 19 | From: Springfield, MA, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viria
Member # 2376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayman2:
You are very wise, gentle, and polite person, thanks for all your advises.
Viria

Posts: 19 | From: Springfield, MA, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meagain
Member # 6767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 30 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com