EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Working as a dive instructor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working as a dive instructor
TS
Member # 2596

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for TS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm considering leaving my highly paid job in the UK, selling my house and looking for work as a dive instructor in Sharm El Sheikh.

Having spent some considerable time looking at messages on here I am having second thoughts.

It's ok visiting on holiday but what would it be like to live there? As a single European female and having read some of the messages on here I am beginning to have reservations.

Any advice would be gratefully received as I don't want to give up everything I have to live in a country which might be hostile towards me. I'm hoping there's some scare-mongering going on and it is, as I remember, a beautiful, friendly environment.

Thanks

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moshko
Member # 2498

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by moshko (edited 30 August 2003).]

Posts: 143 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomas
Member # 1946

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I am moving there next week after having lived in London for 23 years so I can give you some advice.

I know notinng about diving but I know that many europeans love it and can get paid fairly well!! There are many italians and russians doing this.

Will you be going alone? I am sure you have read abouut the men in egypt but I am very very happy with my egyptian boyfriend and let's face it they ate hotter than english guys! you will be chatted up all the time but all you have to say is halas and that means enough and say you are staff as they won't hassle you to buy things.

I am not sure I can live in sharm all the time as i need selfridges and marks and sparks.!!!!!

well hope I have helped and let me know if you need more info on places to stay etc

quote:
Originally posted by TS:
I'm considering leaving my highly paid job in the UK, selling my house and looking for work as a dive instructor in Sharm El Sheikh.

Having spent some considerable time looking at messages on here I am having second thoughts.

It's ok visiting on holiday but what would it be like to live there? As a single European female and having read some of the messages on here I am beginning to have reservations.

Any advice would be gratefully received as I don't want to give up everything I have to live in a country which might be hostile towards me. I'm hoping there's some scare-mongering going on and it is, as I remember, a beautiful, friendly environment.

Thanks

Posts: 121 | From: lomdon | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS
Member # 2596

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thanks guys, that's encouraging! I'm back to Sharm tomorrow and am going to go all out for an internship.

I'm hoping there's a network of ex-pats and a good social circle. Any comments would be welcome about where to go to find work, accommodation, friends! I am going on my own but have found the people at Ocean College so friendly I'm sure I'll be ok.

Thanks for your comments!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomas
Member # 1946

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

Delta Sharm village is a nice place to stay. they have 3 simming pools, nice restaurant and suermarket etc ! there are many european women living there so I am sure you will have no problem meetimg many people.

good luck

QUOTE]Originally posted by TS:
Well thanks guys, that's encouraging! I'm back to Sharm tomorrow and am going to go all out for an internship.

I'm hoping there's a network of ex-pats and a good social circle. Any comments would be welcome about where to go to find work, accommodation, friends! I am going on my own but have found the people at Ocean College so friendly I'm sure I'll be ok.

Thanks for your comments![/QUOTE]

Posts: 121 | From: lomdon | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habibi
Member # 232

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habibi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For jobs in Sharm check out:
www.sinaitimes.com

Posts: 78 | From: Switzerland, Thusis | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS
Member # 2596

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for TS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Thomas, the website will be useful. Some of the divemasters at Ocean College live at Delta Sharm and have told me rent is around £160 a month.

It seems I need to become qualified before I go out to Sharm, otherwise I'd have to use savings to put myself through the training there. Jobs are scarce and the work is hard I'm led to believe.

How do you know so much about Sharm and, if you live there or have lived there, do you have any more useful tips...

Many thanks again

thomas
Member # 1946

Rate Member
hello

I am married to an egyptian and live in delta sharm. I know that you can work at a diving center and you can start off by helping out cashier etc and you can make good money.

I will check out the website. are you still in london then?

quote:
Originally posted by TS:
Thanks for that Thomas, the website will be useful. Some of the divemasters at Ocean College live at Delta Sharm and have told me rent is around £160 a month.

It seems I need to become qualified before I go out to Sharm, otherwise I'd have to use savings to put myself through the training there. Jobs are scarce and the work is hard I'm led to believe.

How do you know so much about Sharm and, if you live there or have lived there, do you have any more useful tips...

Many thanks again

TS
Member # 2596

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for TS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to popular belief there is life outside London! I live in the North of England, near Sheffield lol

Since going back to Sharm a couple of weeks ago I've become more realistic. I now know that there are many many Europeans looking for work in diving and that, unless I am a qualified Divemaster, I will struggle to find work. That is unless you know where I can find work in admin or hospitality so that I can earn whilst I train..

Also, how much should I expect to pay for rent at Delta Sharm and are you enjoying it!

aischa
Member # 2661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aischa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TS,
try to contact some tourist companies in England. Some of them are searching diving masters or trainers for egypt. They can give you a contract under the law of england with all social advantages and the security if you want to go back to england, that you are free. I know, that in Germany are some companies and diving school sending there diving trainers to Sharm and Hurghada. Guess, you can find them in the web.
Good luck - blessing
Aischa
quote:
Originally posted by TS:

Thanks

Posts: 143 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS
Member # 2596

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that I will get on the case with some tour operators in the UK!
lanner
Member # 2839

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lanner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
i'm interested in finding out what it's like living in Egypt - are you English? i am coming out tomorrow for a holiday with a view to living with my egyptian boyfriend. I am realistic and know its a different culture but wondered if you could tell me if it is very difficult out there.

He works away a lot and so i would be on my own most of the time. Are there English groups i could meet up with and how difficult is it to find work as i would go mad with nothing to do.
As i am not going to be around to pick up messages - my email is angelina@freenet.co.uk

i would really appreciate it if you could help me put my mind at rest as it is such a big decision to make without any knowledge

thank you

quote:
Originally posted by thomas:
hello

I am married to an egyptian and live in delta sharm. I know that you can work at a diving center and you can start off by helping out cashier etc and you can make good money.

I will check out the website. are you still in london then?

Posts: 1 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peers Cawley
Member # 2879

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peers Cawley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought an appartment in Delta and studying to become a divemaster at moment.

I have freinds out there at moment, things can be a little tricky at beginning byt as soon as people get to know you you soon get recognized.

Good luck

Remember that Sharm has a high season and a low one jobs are harder to come by in the low season. Also rents are higher in Delta unless you sign uo to 12 month lease. They will want large deposit.

When you qualify as a divemaster you will get access to Padi pro website where many jobs are advertised.

I am doing all theory here and doing practical out there. Get hold of instructors CD as soon as you qualify because it has much PADI clipart for you to use to make business cards etc.

If you want any secific information then I am sure I can help

Thanks Peers

[This message has been edited by Peers Cawley (edited 24 September 2003).]

Posts: 1 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnilGriffin
Member # 3743

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for AnilGriffin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

Has anyone heard of the Delta Sharm Hotel?
Is this the same as the Delta Sharm village?

I am due to fly out to Sharm el Sheik on the 25th April for 14 days and I am looking for cheap accomodation. Someone I know recommended the Delta Sharm hotel, but they cannot remember anymore details.

Does anyone know prices etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Miss Anil Griffin

Posts: 1 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannochka
Member # 3813

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannochka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thomas:
Hello

Delta Sharm village is a nice place to stay. they have 3 simming pools, nice restaurant and suermarket etc ! there are many european women living there so I am sure you will have no problem meetimg many people.

good luck

QUOTE]Originally posted by TS:
[b]Well thanks guys, that's encouraging! I'm back to Sharm tomorrow and am going to go all out for an internship.

Thanks for your comments!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 1 | From: Russia | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com