EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » COMPETITION (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: COMPETITION
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura I can give you a couple of DELICIOUS ideas for tomorrow and after tomorrow. I'll start with the ingredients of the first meal. If you like what you see I'll continue ok?

2 Oignons
6 garlics
2 lemons
6 eggplants
6 zucchinis
4 green peppers
4 tomatoes
Olive oil
3 teaspoons of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
2 teaspoons of oregano (spice)
Salt and pepper at the end

Beef stew meat, to be fried first and then cooked as I will explain later, on the side, with cumini as its principal herbal spice, and 3 spoons of tomato paste, 1 oignon, and salt and pepper at the end.

If you like this so far i'll elaborate.
the second meal's idea was Macarona Fil forn bel beshamel. If you're still around let me know and I'll give you the recipe, if not I'll do it tomorrow.

Served on a rice! ya salammmm!

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
This post moves to fast for me..LOL..am an old lady you know...slow down min fadlik..hahaa

First my birthday is in April also and a national holiday if that helps any.

Monica..is yours on the 14th by any chance

MsJen, Germany is famous for lots of great things, 2 come to mind immediately..Cuckoo clocks and German Chocolate Cake

Tarah I am part Cherokee also...Tsi Tsa la gi.. My great grandmother was Cherokee who married a French Canadian fur trader..wohooo!! lol what a delightful combo

Monica...HELP...am running out of menu ideas...I broke down yesterday and made Molykia for first time for my husbands son who is staying with us for while and he was sooooooooo appreciative of a break from my regular "american cuisine". He calls it that only because I put mozzarella cheese on top of the Moussaka..haha Koshari was on tonights menu so any ideas for tomorrow?

Laura

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 03 November 2003).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for msjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This post moves to fast for me..LOL..am an old lady you know...slow down min fadlik..hahaa

MsJen, Germany is famous for lots of great things, 2 come to mind immediately..Cuckoo clocks and German Chocolate Cake

Tarah I am part Cherokee also...Tsi Tsa la gi.. My great grandmother was Cherokee who married a French Canadian fur trader..wohooo!! lol what a delightful combo

Monica...HELP...am running out of menu ideas...I broke down yesterday and made Molykia for first time for my husbands son who is staying with us for while and he was sooooooooo appreciative of a break from my regular "american cuisine". He calls it that only because I put mozzarella cheese on top of the Moussaka..haha Koshari was on tonights menu so any ideas for tomorrow?

Laura

the only holiday in april i can think of is 1 april, don't tell me that ...

and monica's b*day must be either 2nd or 14th or 29th ... monica can you give us a clue?

regarding kraut-land, actually i can think of a few more things that are very nice about this very country i currently reside in ...

germany of course has the obvious benfit that people are quite straight forward here, (other cultures call it rude sometimes ...) and the mulled wine on the christmas markets isn't bad either ... our forests are famous and the education system is good.

and that's germany in a nutshell ...

the food one can get here is OKish, better since influences from other cultures have been integrated (especially turkish and italian cuisine, but thai and indian and mexican food are becoming ever more popular).
our traditional dishes are still full of cream and butter - commodities that were rare after the war (as you may know once germans perceive something as good or valuable it stays valuable for the rest of their lives) but that are not the best for ones health (very health-conscious folk we are, too!). But to be honest some of these dishes are quite nice (in MODERATION).

but enough of germany, would be nice to hear some more of these DID YOU KNOW posts about egypt which i find 1000 times more interesting (and i'm sure you do, too ... )!after all this is the site of egypt lovers ...

actually, thinking about it, i could share a few bits of information about england (lived there for a looooong time):

DID YOU KNOW that 1000s of people specified their religion as 'jedi' (STAR WARS) in the annual UK census form? (now which other country displays this sort of brilliant sense of humour ...)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,895334,00.html

Posts: 661 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for msjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Will you become a sales rep for IBM or something after this???

If Isabella posts her picture I'm afraid we will have to post ours...and I have absolutely no intention as I said before to do so...

I think this thread is great Jen, especially for intelligent people with a sense of humour, that want to be online 'friends' and share information about Egypt and their daily life ( he he he) and be creative and all!!!

Don't you think?
Here is a piece of info for you out there eager to learn more about EGYPT!!!

DID YOU KNOW that the University of Cairo was inaugurated in 1925? at the time it was called Fouad I University.

monica why do we have to post our pic if isabella posts hers ...??? no siz iz not tru!

but thinking about this thread as being intelligent, yep actually i can see your point, after all we are attracting more and more intelligent people here - but i am waiting for adoula or newcomer to join as final proof ...

Posts: 661 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant message funny girl.

My b.day is the most romantic day on earth he he he!!!

Here is one more interesting info related to Egypt:
DID YOU KNOW that The first Egyptian Feminist, Huda Sh'arawi founded the Egyptian Feminist Union, serving as President from 1923 until 1947, was a member of the International Alliance of Women for Suffrage and Equal Citizenship, serving as vice-president in 1935. was founding President of the Arab Feminist Union (1945-1947) and supported the founding of al-Mara al-Arabiyya, [THE ARABIC WOMAN] which was the newsletter of the Arab Feminist Union (1946). As well she founded the magazines l'Egyptienne (1925) (THE EGYPTIAN in French) and al-Misriyya (1937) (The Egyptian in arabic). Huda was also a speaker throughout the Arab world and throughout Europe.

She synthesized western-style feminism, Egyptian nationalism, and her country's customs and culture, to create a unique blend of Egyptian feminism which was later adapted by other Arabic women to fit their own cultures. She influenced the lives of millions of Arabic women, men, and children, bringing the blessings of feminism to the Arab world.
he he he ...I bet you did'nt know that!

and monica's b*day must be either 2nd or 14th or 29th ... monica can you give us a clue?

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Laura I can give you a couple of DELICIOUS ideas for tomorrow and after tomorrow. I'll start with the ingredients of the first meal. If you like what you see I'll continue ok?

2 Oignons
1 garlic head
2 lemons
6 eggplants
6 zucchinis
4 green peppers
4 tomatoes
Olive oil

Monica what is oregano spice (only know the herb) and how do you combine the ingredients?

(maybe we can start a recipe thread if this is successful... but then we need to register under different names and call it 'the houswife thread') (i made myself laugh with this last sentence, i think i should STOP next time before i get carried away like this) (but i can't stop laughing now, imagine you, tarah, laura and i posting under different names - eg monica1, tarah1, laura1, and msjen1, just so that no-one recognises us - and posting RECIPES!) (ok i think it's bedtime for me now as not more than a bunch of rubbish will be typed by my hands for the reminder of the day ...)
(good night)

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
I added stuff on my recipe post check it out again.

You're funny Laura;-))

Oregano is the equivalent of
ZAATAR, you have it in Egypt for sure. It's a powdered herb, I called it spice, sorry!

quote:
Originally posted by msjen:
Monica what is oregano spice (only know the herb) and how do you combine the ingredients?

(maybe we can start a recipe thread if this is successful... but then we need to register under different names and call it 'the houswife thread') (i made myself laugh with this last sentence, i think i should STOP next time before i get carried away like this) (but i can't stop laughing now, imagine you, tarah, laura and i posting under different names - eg monica1, tarah1, laura1, and msjen1, just so that no-one recognises us - and posting RECIPES!) (ok i think it's bedtime for me now as not more than a bunch of rubbish will be typed by my hands for the reminder of the day ...)
(good night)

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Brilliant message funny girl.

My b.day is the most romantic day on earth he he he!!!

Here is one more interesting info related to Egypt:
DID YOU KNOW that The first Egyptian Feminist, Huda Sh'arawi founded the Egyptian Feminist Union, serving as President from 1923 until 1947, was a member of the International Alliance of Women for Suffrage and Equal Citizenship, serving as vice-president in 1935. was founding President of the Arab Feminist Union (1945-1947) and supported the founding of al-Mara al-Arabiyya, [THE ARABIC WOMAN] which was the newsletter of the Arab Feminist Union (1946). As well she founded the magazines l'Egyptienne (1925) (THE EGYPTIAN in French) and al-Misriyya (1937) (The Egyptian in arabic). Huda was also a speaker throughout the Arab world and throughout Europe.

She synthesized western-style feminism, Egyptian nationalism, and her country's customs and culture, to create a unique blend of Egyptian feminism which was later adapted by other Arabic women to fit their own cultures. She influenced the lives of millions of Arabic women, men, and children, bringing the blessings of feminism to the Arab world.
he he he ...I bet you did'nt know that!

NOW WE'RE TALKING INTERESTING INFORMATION! I think i read her biography about 10 years ago but can't really remember, it'll get back to me tomorrow ... i think it's either bcause i'm tired or because i'm not overly intelligent ... good night

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
I added stuff on my recipe post check it out again.

You're funny Laura;-))

Oregano is the equivalent of
ZAATAR, you have it in Egypt for sure. It's a powdered herb, I called it spice, sorry!

and wot on earth in zaatar

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Good night to all of you Intelligent but tired people !!!

Tomorrow I'll post more interesting info.

PLUS I'll be adding another recipe for Laura.
And before the weekend Laura's family will be all smiles !!!

quote:

NOW WE'RE TALKING INTERESTING INFORMATION! I think i read her biography about 10 years ago but can't really remember, it'll get back to me tomorrow ... i think it's either bcause i'm tired or because i'm not overly intelligent ... good night

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
;-))) Zaatar is an herb mixture composed of savory, thyme, sumac, and sesame seeds.

quote:
and wot on earth in zaatar

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Good night to all of you Intelligent but tired people !!!

Tomorrow I'll post more interesting info.

PLUS I'll be adding another recipe for Laura.
And before the weekend Laura's family will be all smiles !!!

Goo night you tired person ... just a quick note that there is as yet no recipe ... only a list of ingredients ... but still making myself laugh so now i'll really go ... otherwise i'll be all grumpy when i go to work tomorrow .. good night

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
;-))) Zaatar is an herb mixture composed of savory, thyme, sumac, and sesame seeds.

... and wot are savory and sumac ...

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
I'm laughing, but nevertheless very willing to answer your questions !!!

Lauraaaa, I'm not a 'housewife' but a passionate cook!!!

Jen, here is some additional info in regards with Za'tar and sumac and savory herbs.

:-))))))DID YOU KNOW that:
Sumac is a very popular condiment in Turkey and Iran, where the ground fruits are liberally sprinkled over rice. Mixed with freshly cut onions, it is frequently eaten as an appetizer.

In Jordan, a spice mixture called ZAATAR(za'tar) is extremely popular, it took its name from a local species of marjoram which is one of its main ingredients. Since this West Asian marjoram is hardly available outside of the region, it is substituted by a mixture of marjoram with some thyme or oregano.

Zaatar is, then, made by combining the dried marjoram herb with nutty sesame seeds, acidic sumac, salt and optionally some pepper.

Zaatar is mostly used to spice up fried meat or vegetables, up to taste. Combined with olive oil, it can also be used as a bread dip like the closely related EGYPT spice mixture DO'AH.

SAVORY has a strong aromatic flavour which could be compared to thyme!
Et Voilà!
Tomorrow the recipes!!!!

Monica

quote:
... and wot are savory and sumac ...

Tarah
Member # 2793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Laura

Laura, you know some of the Cherokee language? Impressive! About a year ago I was taking online Cherokee language lessons and learned quite a bit including how to count to twenty and your basic greetings and questions, but I've forgotten them all! I remember Tsa la gi and Wa do. That's it.

Gotta go to bed now...be back tomorrow! I'm going to think of something interesting to share for "Did you know"

Posts: 120 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarah
Member # 2793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the reason I won't post a pic of me is that I can't....I do not have a scanner! That's why I described myself. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas if I'm a good girl....
Posts: 120 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Time for the recipe before Iftar!! or maybe for tomorrow's Iftar. Here it goes:
Ratatouille - à la Monica!

It's an original Mediterranean recipe enjoyed in France and North Africa.

Slice all your vegetables first.

- Heat the olive oil, add the oignon and the garlic at the same time, bring the oignons and the garlic to a golden colour.
-Add the vegetables all at once, sprinkle them with the herbs, you can also use mixed herbs that you usually have, that would bring out the flavour of the veggies, and by the way you can also use lemon pepper if you have it handy, or add the lemon juice and the pepper to taste, and also add some hot pepper, or hot sauce if you wish, and cook at a high temperature for a few minutes while watching.
-When your vegetables start to brown a little bit, turn them around and add your tomato paste with a little bit of water, put the temperature at low, cover your veggies and let it simmer for at least 45 minutes.
-Check them out after 20 minutes to make sure they are simmering in their own juices and add the vinegar, salt and pepper at that time.

The meat:
-Fry the oignons first to a golden colour, in a little bit of olive oil, then add the meat already cut in cubes, to give it a great colour.
-Add the cumini (at least 4 teaspoon) and the pepper ( add the salt only at the very end) and the tomato paste - 3, 4 teaspoon- while it is getting browned, at high temperature.
-Lower the temperature to less than medium, and add water, almost covering the meat
-Cover and let it simmer for at least 1 hr and 30 minutes at low temperature.
-Check it every 15, 20 minutes and add a little water if needed.

-Make your white rice and a nice mixed salad

Bel hanah wel shefah
Enjoy!
Monica

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Monica:
[b]Laura I can give you a couple of DELICIOUS ideas for tomorrow and after tomorrow. I'll start with the ingredients of the first meal. If you like what you see I'll continue ok?

2 Oignons
6 garlics
2 lemons
6 eggplants
6 zucchinis
4 green peppers
4 tomatoes
Olive oil

Beef stew meat, to be fried first and then cooked as I will explain later, on the side, with cumini as its principal herbal spice, and 3 spoons of tomato paste, 1 oignon, and salt and pepper at the end.

If you like this so far i'll elaborate.
the second meal's idea was Macarona Fil forn bel beshamel. If you're still around let me know and I'll give you the recipe, if not I'll do it tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 04 November 2003).]

freeman
Member # 2671

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jEN ,
are you still competing with Monica , come on try me I will post once a day and you won't be able to reach me , you know the secret is ..... na won't tell you

Posts: 482 | From: EGYPT | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Freeman hello hello!

quote:
Originally posted by freeman:
jEN ,
are you still competing with Monica , come on try me I will post once a day and you won't be able to reach me , you know the secret is ..... na won't tell you

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
We KNOW how you look...Isabella...;-)) Bella for sure...and if by Xmas you get the scanner, great!~

quote:
Originally posted by Tarah:
Oh, the reason I won't post a pic of me is that I can't....I do not have a scanner! That's why I described myself. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas if I'm a good girl....

freeman
Member # 2671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a guy ask his friend: how are you managing fasting in Ramadan.
he answered: It's good , I really enjoy it.
so he ask again: and what about El Iftar
(breakfast) you also enjoyed.
the friend replied : in Fact I enjoy the Iftar so much more than fasting , so I decide to continue aftar(eating)for the rest of the month

Posts: 482 | From: EGYPT | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAHAHAHAHAH.....maybe he had my recipe!!!
Freeman you're a breath of fresh air!

quote:
the friend replied : in Fact I enjoy the Iftar so much more than fasting , so I decide to continue aftar(eating)for the rest of the month

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
And since we're on the subject of IFTAR and Ramadan, DID YOU KNOW that:

Magically, MOST Egyptian women are able to divide their tasks over the day, and manage the little time they are given in Ramadan. They do such a good job that the men do not even have to go OUT OF THEIR WAYS or change their plans. The house is run just as well, the children are well-taken-care-of and the month of Ramadan is perceived as a month filled with warmth, joy and good memories.

Those women should be congratulated!!!

Monica [appreciating 'those' women ;-)]

quote:

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello again ladies,

Monica, your recipe is very similar to one I do and you are right, it is DELICIOUS!!
My hubby made the dinner tonight I will share his recipe with you.

One Telephone
50LE

Pick up telephone and dial 5022200. Amira usually answers. Order 2 dijaj ala mashiwy fahm, Extra Salada , la Torshi, tineen tomeya.

Hang up telephone and wait one hour.
Tip Driver 5LE

By the way Tarah if you really want to post your pic here a scanner is not needed. Just go to your local all night printing place and they have scanners there and will put any picture on a disc for you. Since Monica and MsJen are a team want to be my "scalping partner"? LOL

As for my birthday its in April but not the first. It's a holiday that was created recently (but definitely not a Hallmark one)if that is of any help.

Would love more recipes of any kind if anyone wants to share.

Laura

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 04 November 2003).]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Hey Laura, lovely husband you have there, I'm impressed;-)) he contributes to the meal preparation!
Jen and I and You and Isabella ( Tarah) and Freeman and Adoula ( when he comes out of hiding) and the more the merrier: are all a team Laura!!!! As long as we're all happy! Why not?

I can share some of my recipes every now and then, but let's make sure they are 'different' than yours he he he'

Last DID YOU KNOW of the day:

DID YOU KNOW that Artichokes are wonderful when cooked this way:

-Cut the hearts in 4 pieces. Wash them.
-Saute 2 chopped oignons and 1 lb ( half a kilo) of meat cubes - stewing meat - over medium heat. Then add 1/4 cup of water.
- Add the 8 artichokes, 2 cups of water, salt, seasoning and lemon juice to the meat mixture and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Lightly brown 1 table spoon of flour over medium heat. Then add 1/4 cup of water, stirring constantly.
- Add the flour mixture to the artichokes and let simmer for 10 minutes
- Add salt and pepper and 'shatta, hot spice to the meat mixture, to taste
- Serve hot with rice...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Laura:
[b]Hello again ladies,

Monica, your recipe is very similar to one I do and you are right, it is DELICIOUS!!
My hubby made the dinner tonight I will share his recipe with you.

One Telephone
50LE

Pick up telephone and dial 5022200. Amira usually answers. Order 2 dijaj ala mashiwy fahm, Extra Salada , la Torshi, tineen tomeya.

Hang up telephone and wait one hour.
Tip Driver 5LE

By the way Tarah if you really want to post your pic here a scanner is not needed. Just go to your local all night printing place and they have scanners there and will put any picture on a disc for you. Since Monica and MsJen are a team want to be my "scalping partner"? LOL

As for my birthday its in April but not the first. It's a holiday that was created recently (but definitely not a Hallmark one)if that is of any help.

Would love more recipes of any kind if anyone wants to share.

Laura

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for msjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
talk about pictures, and freeman's back ... think i'm developing psychic capabilities ...

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
jEN ,

freeman
ok i'll try you and the winner can post a picture
say cheeeeese

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:

(good night)

(girls should we do this housewife thread now or what?) (we could also post other handy clues) (but thte thing is that i'm laughing already again as the last thing one would normally connect with me is housework) (so maybe such a thread would be dangerous for me, too many wrinkles from laughing, imagine people really starting to add some good old household tricks...)(hehe i guess freeman and mido would add a few magic spells that would be good)

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
I'm laughing, but nevertheless very willing to answer your questions !!!

Lauraaaa, I'm not a 'housewife' but a passionate cook!!!

Jen, here is some additional info in regards with Za'tar and sumac and savory herbs.

:-))))))DID YOU KNOW that:
Sumac is a very popular condiment in Turkey and Iran, where the ground fruits are liberally sprinkled over rice. Mixed with freshly cut onions, it is frequently eaten as an appetizer.

In Jordan, a spice mixture called ZAATAR(za'tar) is extremely popular, it took its name from a local species of marjoram which is one of its main ingredients. Since this West Asian marjoram is hardly available outside of the region, it is substituted by a mixture of marjoram with some thyme or oregano.

Zaatar is, then, made by combining the dried marjoram herb with nutty sesame seeds, acidic sumac, salt and optionally some pepper.

Zaatar is mostly used to spice up fried meat or vegetables, up to taste. Combined with olive oil, it can also be used as a bread dip like the closely related EGYPT spice mixture DO'AH.

SAVORY has a strong aromatic flavour which could be compared to thyme!
Et Voilà!
Tomorrow the recipes!!!!

Monica

sounds yummy! thank you.
hungry jen

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 'humble' opinion:
We're home here, don't you think? we can chat and add interesting stuff on any decent subject we want...

We are able to discuss general issues, travels, ideas, new information, jokes, differences in cultures, crazy creative stories, worries and concerns if we ever bump into those...and mostly EGYPT ;-))

Plus we are healthily competing to win an award that is an elegantly written piece on Egypt dedicated to the board...what more can we ask for?!

Am I right? it's a great thread, I find...thanks to the founder (msjen) of course!

BUT of course if a recipe thread is started I will certainly contribute too!

very flexible Monica...

quote:
(girls should we do this housewife thread now or what?) (we could also post other handy clues) (but thte thing is that i'm laughing already again as the last thing one would normally connect with me is housework) (so maybe such a thread would be dangerous for me, too many wrinkles from laughing, imagine people really starting to add some good old household tricks...)(hehe i guess freeman and mido would add a few magic spells that would be good)

Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiiiiii,
I have enjoyed this competition, I have tried a couple of the recipes, and they do taste well.

But again as I am very patriot to Egypt, I'll stick with local dishes like bamia (stewed okra).

300g lamb chops and boneless lamb cubes
500g frozen okra (ready trimmed)
4 whole peeled garlic cloves
1, 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons tomato puree
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon oil, for frying
2 litre boiling water

Brown the meat without oil until it absorbs all its liquid. Add the
onions, then the spices and garlic. Mix well and add the chopped tomatoes.
Cover and let cook on medium heat. Add the water when the tomatoes appear
to soften. Let it simmer for 15 minutes, then add the okra, tomato paste
and salt. Let the stew cook slowly and towards the end add the strained
tamarinds.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Adoula this is marvellllllooooouuuus...

Laura, there you go you have some ideas for 2 more days!

Thanks Adoula for the bamia recipe, we were actually waiting for you to join in...

Jeeeen see...I told you this thread attracts intelligent people!!!

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by Adoula:
Hiiiiii,
I have enjoyed this competition, I have tried a couple of the recipes, and they do taste well.

But again as I am very patriot to Egypt, I'll stick with local dishes like bamia (stewed okra).

1, 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 litre boiling water

tamarinds.

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Hiiiiii,

1, 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 litre boiling water

tamarinds.

Adoula you just saved my belief in our intelligence. Thank you.

Monica we got confirmation now!

Sorry Adoula, I meant to say nice to have you back !

But how on earth did you manage to try a few already???

[This message has been edited by msjen (edited 04 November 2003).]

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Adoula this is marvellllllooooouuuus...

Laura, there you go you have some ideas for 2 more days!

Thanks Adoula for the bamia recipe, we were actually waiting for you to join in...

Jeeeen see...I told you this thread attracts intelligent people!!!

Monica

2 people 1 thought, see my post at the same time as yours ...

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
That's super isn't it?
Since this a great occasion to celebrate our confirmed intelligence..hihihi ...why don't you my dear msjen, contribute with a Did you know piece today?

quote:
Adoula you just saved my belief in our intelligence. Thank you.

Monica we got confirmation now!

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
My 'humble' opinion:
We're home here, don't you think? we can chat and add interesting stuff on any decent subject we want...

We are able to discuss general issues, travels, ideas, new information, jokes, differences in cultures, crazy creative stories, worries and concerns if we ever bump into those...and mostly EGYPT ;-))

Plus we are healthily competing to win an award that is an elegantly written piece on Egypt dedicated to the board...what more can we ask for?!

Am I right? it's a great thread, I find...thanks to the founder (msjen) of course!

BUT of course if a recipe thread is started I will certainly contribute too!

very flexible Monica...

i guess i would agree with you 100% ... i think my imagination just went WAYYYYYYY to far off this time ... I sometimes picture these funny scenarios in my head and then i have to laugh about myself ... i had this vision of us putting a housewife thread and posting silly (yes one could also call them unintelligent) remarks, and then come a few people who really think that we are keen on exchanging housewife wisdoms and add to the thread and get into serious discussions about how to best remove stains from white tops etc... i think that would be so funny. but now i put my thoughts into words it won't work anymore .... what a shame
never mind i'm sure i'll have another idea in a minute

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Come up with a 'did you know' Contribution please he he he...TAKE YOUR TIME....

BUT come back with something...

Seriously, it was just an idea...the importance of this thread is the 'connection' and the 'keep in touch' factor, revolving around Egypt type of thing! which reminds me...;-))

DID YOU KNOW that very decent Egyptian men take great pride in providing for their families, and do it very generously too? They actually Absolutely refuse to even look at their wife's own money, wether it came from inheritance or from their own career that is.

Bet you didn't know that!

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be like a long running episode of "FRIENDS" except the gender split is a little uneven hmmmm lol...IDEA .. I will volunteer to be Joey (since he never really had anything serious going on). I can just watch the chicken and duck while enjoying pizza in my recliner while you guys have fun hahaha.

Joey hehe

PS Any volunteers for the chicken and the duck?

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 04 November 2003).]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating can be a pleasurable act or a burdensome duty -- cinema has understood this duality, and taken it to every possible extreme. Virginia Woolf puts it in a nutshell: "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

Ok, here it goes:
I love good food, so I love to cook when I’m not too lazy.

So it will be the Fattah night....lol

1/2 kg Veal,cubes
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1 Onion,medium size
2 Margarine,or oil
2-3 loaves Balady Bread (Mehamas is preferred)
2 pieces Cardamom
1 Bay Leaf
Salt and Pepper

Put meat in a bowl with water and boil until semi-tender (about 20 minutes). Occasionally skim off the foam layer that rises on surface.

Remove meat and from broth. Strain and reserve 2 cups of broth.

Then, in a skillet, fry the meat in margarine or oil until just golden.

Add lemon juice to the broth and cook for about 15 minutes or until meat becomes tender. Add onion, and little salt and pepper and bring to boil over medium-high heat.

Cut Balady bread into squares (2.5 x 2.5 cm) using scissors.

Put bread squares in a baking dish. Add broth and stir until bread absorbs the broth. Arrange meat cubes over bread.

Yalla bye, as I must eat it hot.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
seriously this Adoula is a mind reader...I was thinking of Fattah today, great stuff friend!
BUT I have a question what about the vinegar and garlic? Or that would be another recipe in regards with FATTAH BEL KHAL WEL TOM ( fattah with vinegar and garlic?

Laura....as Joey ...that's a thought...how are YOU dooin'?
Cool idea...watch TV girl we'll take care of business he he he...

quote:
Eating can be a pleasurable act or a burdensome duty -- cinema has understood this duality, and taken it to every possible extreme. Virginia Woolf puts it in a nutshell: "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

Ok, here it goes:
I love good food, so I love to cook when I’m not too lazy.

So it will be the Fattah night....lol

1/2 kg Veal,cubes
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1 Onion,medium size
2 Margarine,or oil
2-3 loaves Balady Bread (Mehamas is preferred)
2 pieces Cardamom
1 Bay Leaf
Salt and Pepper

Put meat in a bowl with water and boil until semi-tender (about 20 minutes). Occasionally skim off the foam layer that rises on surface.

Remove meat and from broth. Strain and reserve 2 cups of broth.

Then, in a skillet, fry the meat in margarine or oil until just golden.

Add lemon juice to the broth and cook for about 15 minutes or until meat becomes tender. Add onion, and little salt and pepper and bring to boil over medium-high heat.

Cut Balady bread into squares (2.5 x 2.5 cm) using scissors.

Put bread squares in a baking dish. Add broth and stir until bread absorbs the broth. Arrange meat cubes over bread.

Yalla bye, as I must eat it hot.

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Come up with a 'did you know' Contribution please he he he...TAKE YOUR TIME....

BUT come back with something...

Seriously, it was just an idea...the importance of this thread is the 'connection' and the 'keep in touch' factor, revolving around Egypt type of thing! which reminds me...;-))

DID YOU KNOW that very decent Egyptian men take great pride in providing for their families, and do it very generously too? They actually Absolutely refuse to even look at their wife's own money, wether it came from inheritance or from their own career that is.

Bet you didn't know that!

Well, well, sorry, had to get some food, was really getting hungry then ...

please tell me that the below isn't true ...

Did you know?...The Ramses brand condom is named after the great phaoroh Ramses II who fathered over 160 children.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
OK Ok Ok...you came up with some info...fair enough!

BUT, let me check the validity of that piece of - to say the least - interrrrrresting info, and get back to you!

;-)

Soooo... I checked and the info comes from the El LAFFO link...jokes !!!
the only info I could dig out is the following:

Ramses is the American brand name used by the London International Group responsible for the Durex brands.

Good night funny girl!

quote:

Well, well, sorry, had to get some food, was really getting hungry then ...

please tell me that the below isn't true ...

Did you know?...The Ramses brand condom is named after the great phaoroh Ramses II who fathered over 160 children.

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:

As for my birthday its in April but not the first. It's a holiday that was created recently (but definitely not a Hallmark one)if that is of any help

LAURAAAAAA in which country???

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
OK Ok Ok...you came up with some info...fair enough!

BUT, let me check the validity of that piece of - to say the least - interrrrrresting info, and get back to you!

;-)

Soooo... I checked and the info comes from the El LAFFO link...jokes !!!
the only info I could dig out is the following:

Ramses is the American brand name used by the London International Group responsible for the Durex brands.

Good night funny girl!

well, actually some other weird site ...

but check this out http://www.kingtutone.com/pharaohs/ramses2/
looks as if it's true ...

Laura
Member # 879

Monica, am doooooooooin fine

Will add my first and last "Did you know" info just so I can't be called a slacker haha

Drummmmmmmm rolllllll

Did you know:

Ancient Egyptians produced the first zodiac

Lettuce was considered an aphrodisiac by ancient Egyptians

Cleopatra was Greek

Taking a bow and exiting for the night

Joey

Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, here is one:
Adornment (jewelry), hair coloring and makeup were developed and refined by the Egyptians. Egypt was always hot and dry, and makeup was first used by men and women to protect their skin. Much of the makeup they invented had anti-bacterial properties and Eqyptians were very innovative with scents and perfumes.

Jen, a funny one about Ramses, but what U will do if U know that Ramses used to use this condom, but he got some other children even after using such.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok friends, although it's just a minor little observation but, he he he, I noticed that our thread is one of the longest ones ...not that it matters, but... just noticed that, while quickly checking the popular others...

BUT...

I still wonder what on earth happenned to a member called Eternity???? anyone knows???

Hope she re-appears...everytime we called on someone they magically did a rea ppearance act ;-))... She was 'briefly' a member in the summer...August, September I think...and seemed very intelligent too!

Oh yes, and another member : Man_kind??? where are you kind man???

Adoula, Laura ( A.K.A Joey) thanks for your fabulous contribution...keep it going...really smashing (as msjen would say)

Good night Isabella, g.n Jen, g.n baba-mido, g.n Adoula, g.n Freeman, g.n Joey (!!) g.n man_Kind, g.n Eternity!!!!!

It's snowing here, people... I better go to sleep too!

G Night everyone...

Monica ;-)

quote:
Monica, am doooooooooin fine

Will add my first and last "Did you know" info just so I can't be called a slacker haha

Drummmmmmmm rolllllll

Did you know:

Ancient Egyptians produced the first zodiac

Lettuce was considered an aphrodisiac by ancient Egyptians

Cleopatra was Greek

Taking a bow and exiting for the night

Joey

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:

Jen, a funny one about Ramses, but what U will do if U know that Ramses used to use this condom, but he got some other children even after using such.

well actually that's what i'm thinking about ... i mean how silly can a condom manufacturer be to name their product after someone who did exactly what they're trying to prevent???

Let me give you my theory - it was a man who decided on this name ...

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
ok friends, although it's just a minor little observation but, he he he, I noticed that our thread is one of the longest ones ...not that it matters, but... just noticed that, while quickly checking the popular others...

BUT...

I still wonder what on earth happenned to a member called Eternity???? anyone knows???

Hope she re-appears...everytime we called on someone they magically did a rea ppearance act ;-))... She was 'briefly' a member in the summer...August, September I think...and seemed very intelligent too!

Oh yes, and another member : Man_kind??? where are you kind man???

Adoula, Laura ( A.K.A Joey) thanks for your fabulous contribution...keep it going...really smashing (as msjen would say)

Good night Isabella, g.n Jen, g.n baba-mido, g.n Adoula, g.n Freeman, g.n Joey (!!) g.n man_Kind, g.n Eternity!!!!!

It's snowing here, people... I better go to sleep too!

G Night everyone...

Monica ;-)

ohhhhhh good night ... snow, how beautiful! sweet dreams ...

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Ok, here is one:
Adornment (jewelry), hair coloring and makeup were developed and refined by the Egyptians. Egypt was always hot and dry, and makeup was first used by men and women to protect their skin. Much of the makeup they invented had anti-bacterial properties and Eqyptians were very innovative with scents and perfumes.

adoula you have this talent to touch on intetesting topics (make-up, etc ... ) where can i find more info on this?

good night,
jen

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
ohhhhhh good night ... snow, how beautiful! sweet dreams ...

Enough snow to build a snowman with a carrot nose ...?

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com