EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Teaching English in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teaching English in Cairo
bigmac182
Member # 3575

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmac182   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I am new here so please be patient with me. I am graduating with a BA in Arabic and want to teaching English in Cairo to work on my collquial. I am looking for a position that would allow me enough money to support my wife and two kids. Any information would be helpful. I plan on completing a CELTA right after a graduate in May. Thanks.
Andrew

Posts: 3 | From: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aishazahran
Member # 2559

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for aishazahran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Andrew,
Tell me about your English language, and teaching experience.

Can U teach a 7 years old guy?

Where do U live?

------------------
in love with Misr.
Aisha

Posts: 15 | From: Alexanderia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmac182
Member # 3575

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmac182   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a native english speaker and will be taking a training course in June to certify as a EFL teacher. I am in America now and am looking for more of a class room setting to teach in. I wouldn't mind private lessons on the side but my main focus would be class room teaching. As far as age goes, I don't think any age would be a barrier.

Posts: 3 | From: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sallyally
Member # 3426

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sallyally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Andrew

It is important when applying for a job in Egypt not to mention that you hope to learn more Arabic as some schools may think that your learning needs will interfere with those of your students.

International schools in Cairo and Alexandria only hire qualified teachers. There are, however, some good language schools where the pay isn't too bad and they would probably enrol your children for a significantly reduced rate. For example, I have heard good things about Narmer school.

There are also many opportunities to teach adults through language institutes like ILI.
Also, a few years ago, there was a lot of money to be made in tutoring privatelyand I knew many teachers who lived on this alone.

I would suggest that you research the different schools and then send out your CV soon as schools are hiring for September now. Hopefully, someone with more recent teaching exerience in Cairo will share their opinions.

[This message has been edited by sallyally (edited 12 February 2004).]

[This message has been edited by sallyally (edited 12 February 2004).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skully
Member # 3464

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skully     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bigmac which school in America are you studying Arabic at? I am a student at Georgia State University, and I am looking for a university that offers Arabic as a Major? thanks
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmac182
Member # 3575

Rate Member
I am at the University of Utah. The program is pretty good. It could use a better colloquial aspect of the program but other than that it is good. In your area, you have Georgetown, Middlebury, one of the Michigan schools located in Ann Arbor but I can;t remember if it is university of or Michigan state, I think new York UNiversity does Arabic, There should be a few back east, especially now. There is always the military adn the DLI, but they end up coming out of there with wierd accents, I dont knwo why. good Luck.
Andrew

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com