EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Why is ORFI allowed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is ORFI allowed
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In another post Egyptian doctor wrote :-

ORFI MARRIAGE IS ALMOST ALL TIME A WAY TO DO THINGS UNDERCOVER AND HIDE A FAULT..COZ IN ISLAM A REAL MARRIAGE NEEDS PUBLICITY FOR MAKING IT CLEAR AND SAVING BOTH PARTIES RIGHTS

And Raymon wrote :-
By the way, I dont even consider an Orfi marriage a marriage for the beginning. Cmon its just a paper.

Time and time again we read here such sad stories of heartbreak in relationships between western women and Egyptian men. These relationships are so often based on deception and lies. The stories seem to get worse and worse.

In all the tourist areas sex tourism is now escalating at such a rate that Egypts reputation is being tarnished abroad.

The ORFI marriage contract, that can be taken from any lawyer for about LE100 ( the price says it all) is allowing all of these problems to happen. Why does the Egyptian government allow in its laws such a contract. I know of no other country that has a two tier system of marriage. You are either properly married under the customs and conventions of a country or you are not. Egypt is an Islamic country with strong traditions of family and religion. So why does it allow this cheap form of marriage and leave those that come here and who do not understand that it is possible to have two forms of so called marriage, so very vulnerable to these situations. Is Egypt not morally responsible to protect not only its citizens but also those that come here innocently to see this wonderful country. And yes, also there are those men and women that do not come here innocently but without the ORFI it would be very much harder to achieve their aims and they would go elsewhere, or better stay in their own countries.

I think it is time for the sake of the reputation of Egypt and its Islamic principles that the law is changed, and the ORFI is made illegal. If men and women want to marry then let there be one system for everybody, that everybody understands, and that should be according to the principles, religion and customs of Egypt.
If you cannot accept those customs and principles then do not get married.

Can the government not wake up to the fact that if it puts an end to sex tourism then a better class of people will come to the country and from an economic view point these people will probably have more money to spend to match it's own investment in tourism.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I so agree with you. Having these different classes of marriage makes it so complicated. And why do they make a marriage with a foreigner so difficult and only in Cairo. A friend of mine recently got married and it took three days and she said she thought her husband was going to hit the man at the ministry at one point.

Public acknowledgement is the biggest thing of course. And even if they had only one form of marriage they should make sure that always happens otherwise you still have different classes secret and open.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penny:
[B]In another post Egyptian doctor wrote :-

ORFI MARRIAGE IS ALMOST ALL TIME A WAY TO DO THINGS UNDERCOVER AND HIDE A FAULT..COZ IN ISLAM A REAL MARRIAGE NEEDS PUBLICITY FOR MAKING IT CLEAR AND SAVING BOTH PARTIES RIGHTS

And Raymon wrote :-
By the way, I dont even consider an Orfi marriage a marriage for the beginning. Cmon its just a paper.

Morning all

well its true that egypt is an islamic state and so does our copt brothers live in with peace and i believe whenever it comes to an important issue like marriage or zawaj its a very important aspect to realise that marriage is no game or fun, its something really much important to consider and wisely...The word "zawj" is used in the Qur'an to mean a pair or a mate. In general it usage refers to marriage. The general purpose of marriage is that the sexes can provide company to one another, love to one another, procreate children and live in peace and tranquility to the commandments of Allah (God)

Marriage is "mithaq" - a covenant (agreement). It is not a matter which can be taken lightly. It should be entered into with total commitment and full knowledge of what it involves. It is not like buying a new dress where you can exchange it if you don't like it. Your partner should be your choice for life. One should be mature enough to understand the demands of marriage so that the union can be a lasting one. For a marriage to be valid certain conditions must be met and here they are friends:

1)Mutual agreement by the bride and the groom.
2)Two adult and sane witnesses.
3)Agreed-upon mahr (marriage gift) to be paid by the groom

4)Legal guardian (wakeel) representing the bride.
5)Written marriage contract signed by the bride and the groom and witnessed by 2 sane adult witnesses.
6)Ma'zoon (a responsible person [Muslim] officiating the marriage ceremony.
7) The marriage should be publicized, it should never be kept secret as it leads to suspicion and troubles within the community.

A man, however should not marry if he or she does not possess the means to maintain wife and future family, or if he has no sex drive or if dislikes children, or if he feels marriage will seriously affect his religious obligation.

there is much more about giving the wife her rights and making eachother happy which i will not get into details, but what i wanna mention here is that marriage is no game and certainly as i said why orfi???? why does the question of orfi arise ??? simply and mostly to hide something or do something undercover, apparently it would look like a marriage but logically its an escape which doesnt guarantee any part full legal rights or social or even family rights..

this topid is inteersting and good enough and from the requierements i mentioned u can figure out why orfi isnt a part of practicing the sacred rituals of pure marriage..

yeah it true like penny says much of broken heart stories are built up on lies and dishonesty and faking and etc... but still marriage is a bi gaffair and i believe if people stick to their religeous values, whether islamic or christian or whatever heavenly it is, i think they will understand that there are rules for a marriage ( iam no texempting women married by orfi from this coz they also should not run after their emotions only but take their guardians consent too, coz i believe its stated in all heavenly books)...

hope to see much of the feedback in here and may god bless u all

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy
Resident Doctor of Dermatology & Andrology

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you EG Doc for your post and stating so clearly and beautifully what the commitment of marriage means. I agree that we should all be true to our religion whatever that may be and it is up to each man and woman to be honest in their commitment to each other.

What I also really want to understand is why the ORFI is allowed in Egypt and what people think can be done to put an end to it because clearly it is leading to all sorts of unpleasant relationships and is promoting sex tourism that is giving Egypt a bad name. Why can't there be just one system of marriage?. How can it be possible to go to a lawyer pay a fee and walk out being legaly married but with no rights or commitment to each other. Why will that marriage be recognised in one part of the country but not in another. It just does not make any sense. Why if the government is unhappy with sex tourism does it not use its power to strike out of existence the ORFI contract that makes it all possible.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by

[Unofficial marriage(orfi marriage)] are legal if the couple and two witnesses sign the paper and if there are two copies of the contract.

And according to sharia law, it is legal. It is considered a non-notarized marriage. Orfi, however, in order to be legal, is a signed contract by two parties and two witness. In orfi marriages, Once you have a baby, there are no rights for it under law.

The unregistered [orfi] marriage is not against law yet it is not admitted in court.

Most of those married in unregistered orfi have the intention to divorce their wives after they get what they want from them I mean sexual enjoyment. But the law does not punish for intentions.

thats same debate exists every summer of what we call summer marriages here in egypt.The reason for the debate, is that temporary marriages are being abused in Egypt by Gulf Arabs. They come to Egypt, marry low- and middle-class girls for a specific period of time, pay a dowry and then divorce at summer's end.

well in my opinion thats some way of " legalised prostitution unfortunatelu"

and one more thing i believe since the intentions are being hidden for the lie and abuse , yes there inshallah shall be someway of limiting those unregistered way of mostly abusing marriages. If at a time they were legalised it was for a reason or another which shouldnt have abused, but nowadays with many changes and financial situations and corruption they are mostly a way of abuse...

believe me i hate to read all those stories but again these issues are of much debate among islam and fatwa scientists and the more this problem fulminates i wish they will take a legal decision and a certain ban or a certain rule to put limits to this..

lastly i believe one should be a guard upon himself and realise that what he does for abuse, will certainly be repaid to him one day but unfortuantely not many understand this and for that i believe there should be a limit and a legalisation

and god knows the best

be well

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy
Resident Doctor of Dermatology & Andrology

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nesrine
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nesrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penny:
[B]In another post Egyptian doctor wrote :-

very good subject intersting penny

Posts: 47 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 23 May 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
What does it exactly mean? it is not quite clear. Coud you please explain this?

If you get married it should be automatically publised so that everyone knows about it. If it is secret i.e. only you and the officials know about it then you have a two tier marriage system again.

There should be only one kind of marriage and it should be announced to all and sundry.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by katrina:
[B]"And according to sharia law, it is legal.

I spoke about this with our local sheikh. He told me a secret ORFI marrage is haram.

[This message has been edited by Penny (edited 26 March 2004).]

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by katrina:
[B]"And according to sharia law, it is legal.

I spoke about this with our local sheikh. He told me a secret ORFI marrage is haram.

[This message has been edited by Penny (edited 26 March 2004).]

Penny, it was not my quote.... It was Egy Doc's comment. THanks for the clarification as far as religion's opinion on it.

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 26 March 2004).]

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Nesrine
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nesrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Penny, it was not my quote.... It was Egy Doc's comment.

i will tell you katrina
look he write the rules for islamic wedding above and mashallah all are right..and so orfi does not continue all the rules

so it is haram

then he say legal system allow it. this is a real thing because the legal system is not only following islam teachings,
did you understand?

Posts: 47 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I did not want to go back to Islam as a religion, but if under it, a man can have more than one wife, how does he do it, orfi way or legal way?

The qustion is phrased wrong since you have already established that Orfi=Legal.

So let's say it is Orfi vs. Regular

A man in egypt can have up to four wives in a through regular marriage(according to islam) or in a combination of Orfi and Regular(one Regular and one Orfi)

quote:

And if legal system does not follow islamic teachings, it should not thus recognize a poligamy marriage

You're assuming facts not in evidence.

Egypt sometimes follows Islamic teachings and it sometimes does not.
Egyptian law is not decidedly one way or another, its a mix ....this is another discussion in and of itself.

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have questions for those who know:

1- If Orfi marriage met all the requirement of an Islamic one, does that make it Islamic.

If it does, then wouldn't the Orfi wife be entitled to all the rights (alimony and such) as prescribed in Sharia'?( not necessarily by law)

2- Could an Egyptian legaly have more than four wives at the same time through Orfi or a combination of Orfi and Regular(Islamic)?

[This message has been edited by homesick2 (edited 26 March 2004).]

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by homesick2:
[B]I have questions for those who know:

1- If Orfi marriage met all the requirement of an Islamic one, does that make it Islamic.

I am so confused too. When I spoke to our Sheikh he told me secret OFRI is haram. Then he says an open ORFI is less haram but still haram. For the OFRI to comply with sharia law the marriage must be in accordance with the laws of the country. So the question is... is an ORFI legal. Well on the one hand yes it is a legal witnessed contract but then if the courts will not recognise it how can it be legal. So we can go round and round in circles on this one. Must talk this one through with my lawyer next time I see him. The point is the ORFI is absolute nonsence and there should only be one system ffor marriage that we can all understand.

Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because something is against the spirit of Islam does not make it Haram. Haram is a particular type of prohibition that is directly dictated by God, through the Qur'an. God *specifically* forbade certain acts and said that those who perpetrate them will be punished in the after life. Those things are haram, and if there is any question about an act and scholars (rather than God) determine it to be against the spirit of the word that act is discouraged; but cannot be haram unless called explicitly haram by God. Those that freely assign haram to one thing or another are actually committing a grave offense. Those types are serving their own agenda, going beyond what was set by God, and claiming to themselves what is a divine attribute of God.

[This message has been edited by Undead (edited 27 March 2004).]

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny,
Are you aware of Virtue Marriage in Iran?
The gov't there wanted to fight prostitution or adultery c so they came up with an idea. Let's legitimize them c so instead of men going to brothels, they instead seek any of those registered offices where you can find widowed or divorced women. You get a legal marriage to her, have sex as you wish, and divorce her at the end.

Can you believe it? What difference do Orfi Marriage and Virtue Marriage make than any other extramarital relationship c nothing again just a paper.

It is just one of the hypercritic stuff of our region.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymon:
Penny,
Are you aware of Virtue Marriage in Iran?
The gov't there wanted to fight prostitution or adultery c so they came up with an idea. Let's legitimize them c so instead of men going to brothels, they instead seek any of those registered offices where you can find widowed or divorced women. You get a legal marriage to her, have sex as you wish, and divorce her at the end.

Can you believe it? What difference do Orfi Marriage and Virtue Marriage make than any other extramarital relationship c nothing again just a paper.

It is just one of the hypercritic stuff of our region.

These people should not be in government if their minds can only solve a problem from back to front. How can legitamizing something that is wrong ever solve a problem. What a disrepectful attitude to the institution of marriage.

redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I am totally lost also.... how can it not be recognised by the courts, when in fact you can get married Orfi in front of 3 Judges who all sign the paper aswell as 2 witnesses? The Judges names are then on the top of the paper with the dates and stamps and so on. Then why does the women have to sign a register 5 times in the court office. Then why do they take your fingerprints and passport number? It certainly appears to be official if they go to those extremes, surely if this is the case it has to be recognised. Can somebody explain please.
Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also which I forgot to ask, if it is not recognised by the court how do you then get a visa for 5 years and able to work and have to agree to live as an Egyptian wife and by Egyptian law all due to this Orfi contract?
Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com