EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Marriage in Mosque or Ministry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marriage in Mosque or Ministry
traveller
Member # 3907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I am a Muslim and British Citizen. I shall be marrying my Egyptian fiance this summer and wanted to know the process that I will have to go through. We would prefer not to marry in Lazoughly, but rather in al-Husayn mosque which has an 'aqd al-qiran' section that marries people. Is a foreign Muslim woman allowed to marry an Egyptian there, or must they get married in Lazoughly. Also, how does the Mahr/dowry work, is it necessary, does the man give it to the woman during the writing of the marriage contract. Is a woman allowed to marry herself, or does she need a wali/guardian?
Also, does anyone know about marriage in neighboring countries, like Libya, Syria, Jordan, Turkey, etc. can foreigners marry in these countries. Thanks very much

Posts: 8 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianHeart
Member # 1217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Hope my experience can be of some service. I'm a Muslim woman of Canadian nationality (I converted a couple of years ago). I was officially married two weeks ago in Egypt to an EGyptian man. The legal ceremony was held in Cairo at Lagoughly square (the Department of Justice), and I doubt that there is any other place to registered the marriage other than there when a foreigner is involved. It took an entire afternoon in that office to get things sorted (they're not very organised), but everything went well. There is a mazoon there and he asks you to repeat certain sentences in arabic after him stating that you give yourself to your husband in the name of Allah, etc. We never had a ceremony at a mosque, and I'm not sure if this option was possible. I did not have a guardian with me, especially since I'm a convert and no one from my family is Muslim. I don't think that the mazoon really asked about this and it should not be a problem. About the Mahr, it is a MANDATORY part of an Islamic wedding. However, it can be token, as in my case, it was one Egyptian pound! lol (I think my husband got a good deal!! )
The Mahr will be included in the marriage contract to be signed.
Well, best of luck to you. Hope your plans work out soon.
Asalam alekoum

Posts: 66 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveller
Member # 3907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
thanks for sharing your experience. I guess Lazoughly is the only place a foreigner can marry an egyptian in Cairo, how about outside of Cairo. Could one go to Alexandria or somewhere and get married there? thanks

Posts: 8 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's the only place you can marry if you are a foreigner who wants the marriage to be recognized outside of egypt. if you want to remain "single" you can marry anywhere else...LOL

i think that in addition, you can have a regular religious ceremony, as this is like a "civil" marriage for muslims/non-muslims alike.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com