EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Anyone know how to prepare Molokhia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone know how to prepare Molokhia?
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, I'm in the US, but bought some frozen molokhia, however dont know how to prepare it...if anyone has any clue I'd appreciate it...

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NOxReducer:
Hello everyone, I'm in the US, but bought some frozen molokhia, however dont know how to prepare it...if anyone has any clue I'd appreciate it...

Well you have to have soup first, that's pretty much all i know

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love everything Egyptian except that stuff. I reckon it is the Egyptian equivalent of Marmite you either love it of hate it. My daughter loves it. I reckon it is like green slimet scrapped from the side of a pond. Make the stuff!!! No way

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChilliSnail
Member # 3757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChilliSnail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally have to agree with you Akshar. I love Egyptian food but just can't handle pond slime. Just looking at it all slimy in the bowl, bit of a cross between slime and snot. Yuck. Ohhhhh and if they tip it over a pile of rice, it is enough to make me leave the room. Yuck.

I have heard there is quite an export market for it at the moment to Japan, they seem to love the stuff. No accounting for taste.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
I reckon it is the Egyptian equivalent of Marmite you either love it of hate it.

LOL ... guess that's right. I happen to love it (but then I also love Marmite), and as far as I remember it's quite easy to prepare.

If you do a search on the internet typing in "recipe" and "molokhia" you'll find plenty of recipes for it.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 01 April 2004).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia, thanks found one and i'll give it a try....
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
LOL ... guess that's right. I happen to love it (but then I also love Marmite), and as far as I remember it's quite easy to prepare.

If you do a search on the internet typing in "recipe" and "molokhia" you'll find plenty of recipes for it.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 01 April 2004).]

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is molokhia??
Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey GG what happened to he he he first?? You make me laugh, I am as bad as you for laughing. It's soup and delicious, I adore it green slimy and lots of garlic, but it looks revolting. You are the adventurous type I am sure you will try it when you get here.
Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redsea:
Hey GG what happened to he he he first?? You make me laugh, I am as bad as you for laughing. It's soup and delicious, I adore it green slimy and lots of garlic, but it looks revolting. You are the adventurous type I am sure you will try it when you get here.

lol...I try anything once and if it will gave garlic in it, I will eat it!! What is it made of? I hope it is a thick soup. I hate them when they are all watery. Honestly, what is the point in having soup that is mostly water. They should just call it, 'soup flavoured hot water'!

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is not soup GG , it is just have a soupy style))) but it is recommended with rice or bread, but guys, it is fatal!!!

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BoBBoSS:
it is not soup GG , it is just have a soupy style))) but it is recommended with rice or bread, but guys, it is fatal!!!

Fatal? lol how do you mean?? I am intregued now. I will defiantely have to try it. lol

[This message has been edited by GiggleGirl (edited 01 April 2004).]

redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok it's not soup then... I have it in a bowl and dip bread in it.... I drink it out of a cup... I would have it anyway at all, I just love it. GG it's not watery I can guarantee that, I could describe it but think it's best not to LOL, when you see it and try it you will understand why I can't describe it on this forum!
Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redsea:
ok it's not soup then... I have it in a bowl and dip bread in it.... I drink it out of a cup... I would have it anyway at all, I just love it. GG it's not watery I can guarantee that, I could describe it but think it's best not to LOL, when you see it and try it you will understand why I can't describe it on this forum!

lol...is it that bad?? A bit like something I made once. There is no word on this earth to describe that creation!!! lol

egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOxReducer
I think all these nice replies didn't tell u how to make Molokhia, now let me tell u how..cooking is my hobby especially egyptian food..

u put some cooking butter in a pot on a stove, after some seconds u add grinded garlic (average 10 garlic pieces for a kilo of liquid) and use the spoon till the garlic becomes a bit brown..
then add some tomato juice..
add some spices,
follow up the ingredients in the pot with the spoon till they become thick (u can discover this when u find the butter appears on the face) then add some meat soup and let all boil.
add the molokhia and use the spoon in a rounded movement in the pot for 2 minutes...
wow..bon appetite

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
Fatal? lol how do you mean?? I am intregued now. I will defiantely have to try it. lol

The reason some people don't like it is that it gets a bit slimey, like ocras for example. Apart from that it kind of resembles spinach, with a different taste though.

I still haven't found a meatless recipe for it, so I improvise when cooking it.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egy_prince:
NOxReducer
I think all these nice replies didn't tell u how to make Molokhia, now let me tell u how..cooking is my hobby especially egyptian food..

u put some cooking butter in a pot on a stove, after some seconds u add grinded garlic (average 10 garlic pieces for a kilo of liquid) and use the spoon till the garlic becomes a bit brown..
then add some tomato juice..
add some spices,
follow up the ingredients in the pot with the spoon till they become thick (u can discover this when u find the butter appears on the face) then add some meat soup and let all boil.
add the molokhia and use the spoon in a rounded movement in the pot for 2 minutes...
wow..bon appetite

Nox, it's your lucky day, I asked my very own Betty Crocker aka mama here is what she said.....mmmm

You have the soup, (meat, chicken, rabbit whatever), you take the dead animal out of the boiling soup, you throw in the molokhia. Meanwhile in a frying pan you have garlic, and i don't know what that is in english but it's called Kosbara in arabic, (that's what gives molokhia that special aroma, it's the most important ingredient) well, you have them simmering in margerine or butter whatever you chose, then when they turn brown add them to the molokhia in the soup and stir gently. Make sure they don't boil or may be boil once. If you have some leftover for the following day when you reheat it make sure IT DOESN'T BOIL.
I hope that works.

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rimo:
and i don't know what that is in english but it's called Kosbara in arabic, (that's what gives molokhia that special aroma, it's the most important ingredient)

It's coriander.

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dalia:
[B] The reason some people don't like it is that it gets a bit slimey, like ocras for example.

What are you talking about bamyia (or Okras) are GREAT especially with tomatoes and bell peppers and chicken and lots of fresh chopped dill Miammmmmmm

------------------
In Love With Egypt

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Hey, I didn't say they were yucky, I'm a big ocra fan. But I know some people do have a problem with the consistency.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 04 April 2004).]

Nesrine
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Nesrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

ew3a tensa elshah2a...wel tashha. dol aham 7aga

Posts: 47 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
It's coriander.

Hey thanks Dalia i don't know what it looks like in arabic or english but I know what it's called in both now, thanks to you......I'll be one hell of a cook one day.

Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Molokheyya - or the Jew's Mallow

Ok, I will not be able to help on this, but U can check this:
http://chat.balooshy.com/wasfat/recipe.jsp?id=717

Enjoy

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Thanks everyone for the cooking tips...
I shall not forget the kosbara...we kolo tammam...thanks again...
Peace

Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha ... I had when Molokhia made its way into the Japanese kitchen there were ads saying "Egyptians have been eating molokhia for 5000 years."

I heard they invented many recipes there ... like 10 recipes or so.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW have you heard about shalawlaw ... it is cold molokhia that Egyptian Copts usually eat in commemoration of Virgin Mary.
It is dried shredded molokia leaves … mixed with cold water, sliced lemons and onion … it tastes wonderful and different

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com