EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » How hard do you think a relatioship with a language barrier be?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How hard do you think a relatioship with a language barrier be?
marcydale454
Member # 3979

Icon 5 posted      Profile for marcydale454     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is Egyptian & I am American ... How hard is it to learn Arabic?

[This message has been edited by marcydale454 (edited 13 April 2004).]

Posts: 40 | From: Riverhead,NY ,USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ramystfaha
Member # 3968

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ramystfaha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DOES HE SPEAK ANY ENGLISH?
Posts: 18 | From: u.s. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marcydale454:

Arabic is a stinker to learn!! But it is such an acheivement when you can successfully say hello to a muslim and a Copt! lol

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawsar
Member # 3177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawsar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i´ve learned egyptian-arabic in my husbands family, where they dont speak any other language. so i never had a chance to replace other words in english or german instead of finding out what the arabic meaning could be.
that helped me a lot to learn it fast.
and i think the best way to learn a new language is to live within it.

but i have to say also: my sis in law was a great teacher!
slowly slowly she added the new words to our permanent conversation, to make it most easy to follow her.

but -hamdulillah- my husband speaks german very well. we have no language problems : ))

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
It is such an acheivement when you can successfully say hello to a muslim and a Copt! lol

GiggleGirl, what do you mean?

Marcydale454, I think you made half the way to learn a foreign language ... i.e. interaction with native speakers ... and I would recommend coming to Egypt if you want to learn in shorter time.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you are in a relationship and you are wondering what problems you'll have with communication with the man. Am I right?

Inasmuch as two people that speak the same language can and often do miscommunicate (especially when one of them is a MAN - yes, that was a joke folks.....sortof) there will be plenty of miscommunication between two people that don't have a strong command of the same language. You will use vocabulary he doesn't know, and he may resort to his Arabic when he really feels he wants to express himself, and it could be years before you have a firm handle on enough vocabulary there to communicate effectively in Arabic. It will take work, but consider all the couples, and there are plenty of them, that are using English to communicate and for both English is a second language. Those are the ones that amaze me. They must have wonderful patience with each other.

Good luck.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymon:

Marcydale454, I think you made half the way to learn a foreign language ... i.e. interaction with native speakers ... and I would recommend coming to Egypt if you want to learn in shorter time.

I used to get them mixed up!

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcydale454
Member # 3979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcydale454     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

He knows a litle english.... his friend translates to him.. & is teaching him englis. I am also trying to teach him too. I have a picture dictionary which is Arabic/ English I write Arabic words for him & english words. He is teaching me how to say some Arabic words & simple phrases...on voice/chat we have alot of fun on computer!! LOL! but he wants me to go there!!!Arabic seems Ok to learn..... But writing it is confusing elhamnd alallah!! thanks for your response

Posts: 40 | From: Riverhead,NY ,USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcydale454
Member # 3979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcydale454     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kawsar:
i´ve learned egyptian-arabic in my husbands family, where they dont speak any other language. so i never had a chance to replace other words in english or german instead of finding out what the arabic meaning could be.
that helped me a lot to learn it fast.
and i think the best way to learn a new language is to live within it.

but i have to say also: my sis in law was a great teacher!
slowly slowly she added the new words to our permanent conversation, to make it most easy to follow her.

but -hamdulillah- my husband speaks german very well. we have no language problems : ))

Thank you for reply!

marcydale454
Member # 3979

Icon 12 posted      Profile for marcydale454     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymon:

Hi! thanks for reply. I never expected to get this involved with this chat thing.... but now I am. I like to talk to people from Egypt. It is interesting to learn. Now I am learning just.... little Arabic.. & we find a way to communicate. It helps His freing is English teacher & translates.... He is teaching me Arabic & I am teaching him English... one word at a time.....LOL!!If nothing else happens it is nice to learn about another country...right??? Thanks!

marcydale454
Member # 3979

Icon 7 posted      Profile for marcydale454     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
It sounds like you are in a relationship and you are wondering what problems you'll have with communication with the man. Am I right?

Inasmuch as two people that speak the same language can and often do miscommunicate (especially when one of them is a MAN - yes, that was a joke folks.....sortof) there will be plenty of miscommunication between two people that don't have a strong command of the same language. You will use vocabulary he doesn't know, and he may resort to his Arabic when he really feels he wants to express himself, and it could be years before you have a firm handle on enough vocabulary there to communicate effectively in Arabic. It will take work, but consider all the couples, and there are plenty of them, that are using English to communicate and for both English is a second language. Those are the ones that amaze me. They must have wonderful patience with each other.

Good luck.

Hi! You are right about the man thing joke!! LOL It is hard enough when 2 ppl speak the same language!!! Oh My God!!! That is why I am am seriously wondering what it would be like!!1 Oh My God!!We are communicating pretty well with the help of his friend who translates... and I have an Arabic/ English picture dictionary...I show him things (on cam) like say my cat & I write it in Arabic & English & he will write it down. On voice/chat he tells me how to say it in Arabic. Cat is herra...Ok we are trying...but for real on daily basis I am wondering....HOW it would be???? Oh My God!! I see some problems here.......LOL!!! Thanks for your reply

marcydale454
Member # 3979

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raymon:

[/QU Maybe some day I will aah laan! kaif halaak?

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Debbie:
[b]It sounds like you are in a relationship and you are wondering what problems you'll have with communication with the man. Am I right?

Good luck.

Hi! You are right about the man thing joke!! LOL It is hard enough when 2 ppl speak the same language!!! Oh My God!!! That is why I am am seriously wondering what it would be like!!1 Oh My God!!We are communicating pretty well with the help of his friend who translates... and I have an Arabic/ English picture dictionary...I show him things (on cam) like say my cat & I write it in Arabic & English & he will write it down. On voice/chat he tells me how to say it in Arabic. Cat is herra...Ok we are trying...but for real on daily basis I am wondering....HOW it would be???? Oh My God!! I see some problems here.......LOL!!! Thanks for your reply[/B][/QUOTE]

That is sweet!! Good luck! Language can be a barrier though (I speak from a very limited experiance.) It was an issue in our relationship. He couldn't understand things I was saying and vice versa, of course that lead to rows. Very bad rows...lol..I think his temper was as bad as mine. Anyway, we spilt up. I don't think he liked my outlook on life. But hey! Good luck to you!!

Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If 2 persons have strong desire to understand each other they will. Language barrier is a problem of course but it is quite easy to overcome it, if u both really what it.

Maybe it is easier to lern words and how to pronaunce them by wrighting them in english? like.... Shukran.....and smth like that.....

Posts: 287 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
but consider all the couples, and there are plenty of them, that are using English to communicate and for both English is a second language. Those are the ones that amaze me.

Good luck.

That statment deserves a thread of its own Debbie....I was once talking to this german girl, she was wondering about that too....we were talking in English since my german was way worse than her arabic i.e non-existant....I myself wonder about it sometimes why do i find it sometimes easier using that language when my mothertongue is arabic? have you been to a place where young people hangout lately? almost not a single straight arabic sentence,,,,When we get menus in restaurants our parents open these on the right, we (our generation) start at the left..... Mebbe Egyptians in ES can help me figure this out? we teach our kids a word in English & Arabic in that order and we're very pleased with ourselves when they do.....

Uggghhh Nevermind, that's my insomnia speaking....

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]We are communicating pretty well with the help of his friend who translates... and I have an Arabic/ English picture dictionary...I show him things (on cam) like say my cat & I write it in Arabic & English & he will write it down.

As you say, "Oh my God!" When you get past the "This is cat", "This is dog" conversation and you need to discuss your feelings and hopes and fears for the future, let me know how you are going to "Pictionary" these phrases, and/or how embarrassing it is to tell his friend everything that is deep in your soul and let him try to translate it.

I think that is when the separate languages can beome a problem. He will only express himself best in Arabic, and you in English. Unless the translator is EXTREMELY good, there will always be something missing, I'm afraid. And there are just some things you don't want to discuss with a translator present, when you become serious with someone.

Good luck.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flupke
Member # 725

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flupke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lukoshko:
If 2 persons have strong desire to understand each other they will. Language barrier is a problem of course but it is quite easy to overcome it, if u both really what it.

Maybe it is easier to lern words and how to pronaunce them by wrighting them in english? like.... Shukran.....and smth like that.....

You are absolutely right ! Where there is a will, there is a way

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rimo.. You're right; I always wondered the same myself. Schooling? Identity crises? Despising our present? Loathing our future? Relating to another culture?
Ironically enough, it irritates me to listen to people communicating in a non-mothertongue language, however I do that most of the time. What is more dangerous: pondering in a non-mothertongue language.
So, I guess I have my own big time identity crises. However, I make sure I speak to my son ONLY in Arabic! Double Standards?? Guess so.

quote:
Originally posted by Rimo:
That statment deserves a thread of its own Debbie....I was once talking to this german girl, she was wondering about that too....we were talking in English since my german was way worse than her arabic i.e non-existant....I myself wonder about it sometimes why do i find it sometimes easier using that language when my mothertongue is arabic? have you been to a place where young people hangout lately? almost not a single straight arabic sentence,,,,When we get menus in restaurants our parents open these on the right, we (our generation) start at the left..... Mebbe Egyptians in ES can help me figure this out? we teach our kids a word in English & Arabic in that order and we're very pleased with ourselves when they do.....

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
That is sweet!! Good luck! Language can be a barrier though (I speak from a very limited experiance.) It was an issue in our relationship. He couldn't understand things I was saying and vice versa, of course that lead to rows. Very bad rows...lol..I think his temper was as bad as mine. Anyway, we spilt up. I don't think he liked my outlook on life. But hey! Good luck to you!!

Hey Giggle girl! so where are you from & where was your boyfriend from? If you do not mind me asking?& how long did the relationship last? what happened?? My guy wants me to go to Egypt.I think about every possible difficulty involved....the communication factor... I do not know arabic where would I work ? I do not know anyone there ...it is a totally different culture....ect..ect..ect...It would be different if we could at least speak to each other......but I can't even explain what I am thinking!!!He is way too serious!!!I do not know how to get out of this whole crazy thing!!! I tell him it is impossible......He says noo..... nooo. no impossible in love........!!!! So what I can do???? Thanks for listening. By the way I think you are cool!!! Thanks

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
quote:
[QUOTE]
Hey Giggle girl! so where are you from & where was your boyfriend from? If you do not mind me asking?& how long did the relationship last? what happened?? My guy wants me to go to Egypt.I think about every possible difficulty involved....the communication factor... I do not know arabic where would I work ? I do not know anyone there ...it is a totally different culture....ect..ect..ect...It would be different if we could at least speak to each other......but I can't even explain what I am thinking!!!He is way too serious!!!I do not know how to get out of this whole crazy thing!!! I tell him it is impossible......He says noo..... nooo. no impossible in love........!!!! So what I can do???? Thanks for listening. By the way I think you are cool!!! Thanks

lol thank you very much!! I am British, he was from Middle Egypt - a coptic christian. He was so lovely, stunningly good looking and very kind. We were only together 3 months. We met at I party. It was just my scene lol but not his I think. He'd gone with a friend. At first I just saw him and thought "phwoar!!" lol. He knew harldy any english, it was so sweet!! I always think it is wonderful when men can't speak fluent english, or their english is accented. The French for example...lol. Anyway, it was fine at first. We communicated using sign language and things and it made both of us laugh. But when it came to feelings and morals...different. No laughs then. By two months, he had got really quite serious. "You are my love...I will only ever love you..." and things like that. Now a flighty little thing like me does not want serious. I like fun. He also liked fun. But not my sort. He hated the parties I went to and my absolute devotion to fashion and looking good. I remember once, he met me before we went out to dinner. Conversation as follows: "Are you wearing that for dinner?"
"Yes....Don't you like it?"
"I like it, I like it a lot. But I don't want other men looking at you. You are mine to look at"
Incase you are wondering what I was wearing. It was a long red dress with a low cowl neck and a slit up to the mid thigh. Hardly indecent exposure! Anyway, I could sit and whinge about his possesiveness for a while but the short is. He was very possesive and serious. I am not. I didn't like it. Fights followed, including him telling me I had no morals and was not good enough for him anyway! lol I don't care. I'm going to have fun whilst I'm young. As for getting out of it. Be upfront and honest. If you don't want him. Tell him you are looking for something else. Tell him he is a lovely, wonderful man. But just not right for you.
I hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by GiggleGirl (edited 09 April 2004).]

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Learning the other's culture is usually a great help ...

Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 16 April 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
lol thank you very much!! I am British, he was from Middle Egypt - a coptic christian. He was so lovely, stunningly good looking and very kind. We were only together 3 months. We met at I party. It was just my scene lol but not his I think. He'd gone with a friend. At first I just saw him and thought "phwoar!!" lol. He knew harldy any english, it was so sweet!! I always think it is wonderful when men can't speak fluent english, or their english is accented. The French for example...lol. Anyway, it was fine at first. We communicated using sign language and things and it made both of us laugh. But when it came to feelings and morals...different. No laughs then. By two months, he had got really quite serious. "You are my love...I will only ever love you..." and things like that. Now a flighty little thing like me does not want serious. I like fun. He also liked fun. But not my sort. He hated the parties I went to and my absolute devotion to fashion and looking good. I remember once, he met me before we went out to dinner. Conversation as follows: "Are you wearing that for dinner?"
"Yes....Don't you like it?"
"I like it, I like it a lot. But I don't want other men looking at you. You are mine to look at"
Incase you are wondering what I was wearing. It was a long red dress with a low cowl neck and a slit up to the mid thigh. Hardly indecent exposure! Anyway, I could sit and whinge about his possesiveness for a while but the short is. He was very possesive and serious. I am not. I didn't like it. Fights followed, including him telling me I had no morals and was not good enough for him anyway! lol I don't care. I'm going to have fun whilst I'm young. As for getting out of it. Be upfront and honest. If you don't want him. Tell him you are looking for something else. Tell him he is a lovely, wonderful man. But just not right for you.
I hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by GiggleGirl (edited 09 April 2004).]

Hey Giggle Girl! How old are you anyway?? & him how old was he?? Do you live in Egypt? Travel alot??? Sounds like you travel...I do not think your dress ..by far inapproiate...!Cowl neck....c'mon!!!!Anyway I hear that women are supposed to dress conservative over there...I do not think I would fit in....by far... I have tattoos I smoke....( I hear that is no no for women) & I drink & curse!!!! Three strikes out 4 me!! ....I do not have a prayer !!!!Besides that He wants me to go there... at first to meet.... then get married...fat chance of that I am 43 & still have not maried!I do not think I can handle it! I am not willing to marry someone I do not even really know.... aside from living in a strange place where I do not know anybody do not speak the language.....& would be boo-hooed!!over there!! I like USA & do not want to leave it. He says he can not come here! so what we do..... It is imposible!! But if I could I would... He seems so sweet & he is gorgeous!!!!!!!!1 What U think!!!!

Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyway I hear that women are supposed to dress conservative over there...I do not think I would fit in....by far... I have tattoos I smoke....( I hear that is no no for women) & I drink & curse!!!! Three strikes out 4 me!! ....I do not have a prayer !!!!Besides that He wants me to go there... at first to meet.... then get married...fat chance of that I am 43 & still have not maried!I do not think I can handle it! I am not willing to marry someone I do not even really know.... aside from living in a strange place where I do not know anybody do not speak the language.....& would be boo-hooed!!over there!! I like USA & do not want to leave it. He says he can not come here! so what we do..... It is imposible!! But if I could I would... He seems so sweet & he is gorgeous!!!!!!!!1 What U think!!!!

Sorry, can I ask how old is he?

Posts: 287 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Marcy....you didn't get to be 43 and single by being stupid.... just keep on as you are, you'll be fine.
marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
Originally posted by Lukoshko:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcydale454:
[b] Anyway I hear that women are supposed to dress conservative over there...I do not think I would fit in....by far... I have tattoos I smoke....( I hear that is no no for women) & I drink & curse!!!! Three strikes out 4 me!! ....I do not have a prayer !!!!Besides that He wants me to go there... at first to meet.... then get married...fat chance of that I am 43 & still have not maried!I do not think I can handle it! I am not willing to marry someone I do not even really know.... aside from living in a strange place where I do not know anybody do not speak the language.....& would be boo-hooed!!over there!! I like USA & do not want to leave it. He says he can not come here! so what we do..... It is imposible!! But if I could I would... He seems so sweet & he is gorgeous!!!!!!!!1 What U think!!!!

[/B][/QUOTE]
He says he is 31. He says he will love me forever....he cant live without me he will die without me!.....Hw wants me to drop everything & go to Egypt... I am afraid to do that with the war going on and all that..... He insists it is safe to go there.... I think not!!!I do not understand how he can say these things ....We only know each other from computer...... CAN YOU REALLY LOVE someone from computer??????CRAZY!!The whole thing has gotten out of hand. I spend so much time on computer I have no time for anything else. A few times we have talked for 12 hours straight!!!!!!!!!!!! SILLY!!!!!!! Anyway I have to figure out some way to chill out..... Thanks!!!!!!!!

Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He says he is 31. He says he will love me forever....he cant live without me he will die without me!.....Hw wants me to drop everything & go to Egypt... I am afraid to do that with the war going on and all that..... He insists it is safe to go there.... I think not!!!I do not understand how he can say these things ....We only know each other from computer...... CAN YOU REALLY LOVE someone from computer??????CRAZY!!The whole thing has gotten out of hand. I spend so much time on computer I have no time for anything else. A few times we have talked for 12 hours straight!!!!!!!!!!!! SILLY!!!!!!! Anyway I have to figure out some way to chill out..... Thanks!!!!!!!!
Sorry for telling this, don't understand me wrong. But I would advice to u to be very careful with him. Many of the egyption guys on this forum told many times that it is not the way for a "good" egyption man to find a wife. They don't marry women older then they are and especially if they don't know her very very good they don't offer to mary. If he knows english so bad he can't even understand ur thoughts well and can't know u well. His behaviour (as u described it) is very similar to typical "egyption gigolos" behaviour.

Sorry if what i said is not pleasant, but it seems to me so. Take care and don't allow him to play with u.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you were afraid to go to Egypt with the war ongoing!

Are you talking about the war in Iraq? or the war in the Middle East in general that has been going on for over 50 years? or is it the war against 'sex tourism' that just started?

In all mentioned wars do not be afraid, carry a Helmet, and wear a chastity belt

Seriously, do not worry, Egypt is safe ~ but make sure you are too!

Sincerely,
Monica

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lukoshko:
[b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by marcydale454:
[b] Anyway I hear that women are supposed to dress conservative over there...I do not think I would fit in....by far... I have tattoos I smoke....( I hear that is no no for women) & I drink & curse!!!! Three strikes out 4 me!! ....I do not have a prayer !!!!Besides that He wants me to go there... at first to meet.... then get married...fat chance of that I am 43 & still have not maried!I do not think I can handle it! I am not willing to marry someone I do not even really know.... aside from living in a strange place where I do not know anybody do not speak the language.....& would be boo-hooed!!over there!! I like USA & do not want to leave it. He says he can not come here! so what we do..... It is imposible!! But if I could I would... He seems so sweet & he is gorgeous!!!!!!!!1 What U think!!!!

[/B][/QUOTE]
He says he is 31. He says he will love me forever....he cant live without me he will die without me!.....Hw wants me to drop everything & go to Egypt... I am afraid to do that with the war going on and all that..... He insists it is safe to go there.... I think not!!!I do not understand how he can say these things ....We only know each other from computer...... CAN YOU REALLY LOVE someone from computer??????CRAZY!!The whole thing has gotten out of hand. I spend so much time on computer I have no time for anything else. A few times we have talked for 12 hours straight!!!!!!!!!!!! SILLY!!!!!!! Anyway I have to figure out some way to chill out..... Thanks!!!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

We only know each other from computer...... CAN YOU REALLY LOVE someone from computer??????CRAZY!!The whole thing has gotten out of hand. I spend so much time on computer I have no time for anything else. A few times we have talked for 12 hours straight!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------

You have spent 12 hours straight talking to each others, is it becasue you have poor communication that you have to spent that much time to explain oneself?????

Cheers [/B]

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In all mentioned wars do not be afraid, carry a Helmet, and wear a chastity belt

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 12 April 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 28 May 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
quote:
He says he will love me forever....he cant live without me he will die without me

Oh, how familiar. You hear this all the time. Same for me, after 2 1/2 months and I suggested he cooled it, I had a similar response. Naturally, I was horrified! I am too young for serious. I like to be out having fun! Not being told without me he will drown himself! For god's sake! He was only 21, far, too young for such seriousness! Anyway, we didn't work. I think I am unacceptable in some social circles. LOL And I don't care, as the saying goes;
I am what I am, accept me or don't. It's up to you, I'm not changing.
A good saying!! Anyway, stay true to yourself. If you think you love him, then go. If you know you don't love him, stay. Personally I would prefer to be free and single and me in the USA! Than trying to be someone I'm not in Egypt.

marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
Oh, how familiar. You hear this all the time. Same for me, after 2 1/2 months and I suggested he cooled it, I had a similar response. Naturally, I was horrified! I am too young for serious. I like to be out having fun! Not being told without me he will drown himself! For god's sake! He was only 21, far, too young for such seriousness! Anyway, we didn't work. I think I am unacceptable in some social circles. LOL And I don't care, as the saying goes;
I am what I am, accept me or don't. It's up to you, I'm not changing.
A good saying!! Anyway, stay true to yourself. If you think you love him, then go. If you know you don't love him, stay. Personally I would prefer to be free and single and me in the USA! Than trying to be someone I'm not in Egypt.

Hi! Giggle Girl! How are You? Thanks for your reply again!What country did you meet "the guy" at the party? You sound like you are alot of fun! I like your quote.... "i am what I am" that is me 2.Yes I am pretty sure I would not fit in in Egypt. But who knows? I would stilll like to meet him & his friends though.... someday. When we talk on the computer ... we both have webcam..... it is just like having someone in your living room....just you can not touch them. We also have voice chat....... He is very funny & so is his friend.Anyway thanks for your reply... you are very sweet to take the time to respond. Everyone thinks I am crazy... you probably think I am crazy & I think I amm crazy too!... Whatever.... It is fun ... besides that I am learning alot of things about another country & it is very interesting. I always liked Egypt & always wantd to go there to see the Pyramids... Maybe this will be a better reason to actually do it.Anyway Enjoy yourself! Keep having fun! Bye..;0

anuna
Member # 4022

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Arabic is easy.. I have self taught myself.. and I read and write arabic as well... I speak correctly... It is not hard if it is in your heart to learn
Posts: 39 | From: West St. Paul, MN USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
Originally posted by anuna:
I think Arabic is easy.. I have self taught myself.. and I read and write arabic as well... I speak correctly... It is not hard if it is in your heart to learn

Hi Anuna! WOW! That is great! Can I ask what is your language?And how did you teach yourself? Thanks...Marcydale

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
quote:

Hi! Giggle Girl! How are You? Thanks for your reply again!What country did you meet "the guy" at the party? You sound like you are alot of fun! I like your quote.... "i am what I am" that is me 2.Yes I am pretty sure I would not fit in in Egypt. But who knows? I would stilll like to meet him & his friends though.... someday. When we talk on the computer ... we both have webcam..... it is just like having someone in your living room....just you can not touch them. We also have voice chat....... He is very funny & so is his friend.Anyway thanks for your reply... you are very sweet to take the time to respond. Everyone thinks I am crazy... you probably think I am crazy & I think I amm crazy too!... Whatever.... It is fun ... besides that I am learning alot of things about another country & it is very interesting. I always liked Egypt & always wantd to go there to see the Pyramids... Maybe this will be a better reason to actually do it.Anyway Enjoy yourself! Keep having fun! Bye..;0

I'm good thanks Marcy, hows you? I met him in England. Over visiting relatives with a view to emigrating. As for me being a lot of fun...that is a matter of opinion, I am too much for some people. LOL I don't care, they had too little substance for me! Boring in other words. You don't seem crazy to me, then again, I am regularly told I need to be sectioned so I can't say!! LOL And you are right it is nice to be eccentric..imagine if there were no individuals! It's like a nightmare!! Aaaarrgghh..a world with everyone being the same...atrocious! Egypt is a fantastic ambition, I myself am getting the chance to go this year (fantastic...watch out Cairo!! ) You keep having fun too lassie!!

marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
I'm good thanks Marcy, hows you? I met him in England. Over visiting relatives with a view to emigrating. As for me being a lot of fun...that is a matter of opinion, I am too much for some people. LOL I don't care, they had too little substance for me! Boring in other words. You don't seem crazy to me, then again, I am regularly told I need to be sectioned so I can't say!! LOL And you are right it is nice to be eccentric..imagine if there were no individuals! It's like a nightmare!! Aaaarrgghh..a world with everyone being the same...atrocious! Egypt is a fantastic ambition, I myself am getting the chance to go this year (fantastic...watch out Cairo!! ) You keep having fun too lassie!!

Hi Giggle Girl! How are you? If you do not mind me asking, where are you living now? I live on Long Island, NY it is a small island... It is not like Manhattan or the Bronx.. it is more "country-like" we have grass & trees.... in NY city they have only cement & Tall Tall buildings....Hustle & Bustle in NY city. I hate the city. Anyway you say that you are going to Egypt this year..... Have you ever gone to Egypt before?..And I was wondering how you began to talk on this site? or shall I rephrase that and say why are you so interested in Egypt?..Or you can say it is none of my buisiness.... I was just wondering. I am new to this site. I do not know what is appropriate to ask or not...I am just curious about everything about Egypt ... that is all.And yes I am a "little" Ha! Ha! eccentric myself... You would not like me any other way.... Ha! Ha!... ... So did you get any new shoes????

[This message has been edited by marcydale454 (edited 17 April 2004).]

marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
Hi Giggle Girl! How are you? If you do not mind me asking, where are you living now? I live on Long Island, NY it is a small island... It is not like Manhattan or the Bronx.. it is more "country-like" we have grass & trees.... in NY city they have only cement & Tall Tall buildings....Hustle & Bustle in NY city. I hate the city. Anyway you say that you are going to Egypt this year..... Have you ever gone to Egypt before?..And I was wondering how you began to talk on this site? or shall I rephrase that and say why are you so interested in Egypt?..Or you can say it is none of my buisiness.... I was just wondering. I am new to this site. I do not know what is appropriate to ask or not...I am just curious about everything about Egypt ... that is all.And yes I am a "little" Ha! Ha! eccentric myself... You would not like me any other way.... Ha! Ha!... ... So did you get any new shoes???? so when do you think you will go to Egypt?

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
quote:
Hi Giggle Girl! How are you? If you do not mind me asking, where are you living now? I live on Long Island, NY it is a small island... It is not like Manhattan or the Bronx.. it is more "country-like" we have grass & trees.... in NY city they have only cement & Tall Tall buildings....Hustle & Bustle in NY city. I hate the city. Anyway you say that you are going to Egypt this year..... Have you ever gone to Egypt before?..And I was wondering how you began to talk on this site? or shall I rephrase that and say why are you so interested in Egypt?..Or you can say it is none of my buisiness.... I was just wondering. I am new to this site. I do not know what is appropriate to ask or not...I am just curious about everything about Egypt ... that is all.And yes I am a "little" Ha! Ha! eccentric myself... You would not like me any other way.... Ha! Ha!... ... So did you get any new shoes???? And why should I watch out for Cairo?... Have fun lassie!

I live in England..English rose...lol. I've never been to Egypt before, and I discovered this site by accident. I have been interested in Egypt since I was about 4 years old...always drawing pyramids and hieroglyphs and bits and bobs. Egypt seems to be fantastic...as I have never been I cannot say, but I have read and heard so much about it. Get any new shoes? Not for a while now, but I have my eyes on a pair LOL I wasn't warning you to watch out for Cairo...I was warning Cairo to look out for me!! I don't mind cities...I don't live in one, but I go to the capital, London quite a lot. In the country side you can get away with walkingg round with no shoes, make up or underwear. I would not try that in NY or London!! lol

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemi:
[QUOTE]In all mentioned wars do not be afraid, carry a Helmet, and wear a chastity belt

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 12 April 2004).]
[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO!!!!! here too!!

Nice one Monica!!!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Giggle Girl! How are you? If you do not mind me asking, where are you living now? I live on Long Island, NY it is a small island... It is not like Manhattan or the Bronx.. it is more "country-like" we have grass & trees.... in NY city they have only cement & Tall Tall buildings....Hustle & Bustle in NY city. I hate the city. Anyway you say that you are going to Egypt this year..... Have you ever gone to Egypt before?..And I was wondering how you began to talk on this site? or shall I rephrase that and say why are you so interested in Egypt?..Or you can say it is none of my buisiness.... I was just wondering. I am new to this site. I do not know what is appropriate to ask or not...I am just curious about everything about Egypt ... that is all.And yes I am a "little" Ha! Ha! eccentric myself... You would not like me any other way.... Ha! Ha!... ... So did you get any new shoes????

Looking at your writing style I'd assume you already know Arabic quite well ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
delete

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 17 April 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noor-77X
Member # 3199

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noor-77X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tell him :
ANA AKTAR WAHED BEIHEBAK

Posts: 31 | From: italy | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kamar
Member # 4014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noor-77X:
tell him :
ANA AKTAR WAHED BEIHEBAK

for NOOR 77 : Hi,do you have an Egyptian boy?also me conoosco this sentence as my boy is of the cairo.are you married or you have distance history?us for the time being we are distant.if you va,raccontami your history.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kamar
Member # 4014

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for kamar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for MARCYDALE 454 :
you have to watch out a lot of because' you know that in egyptso many boys look for to marry a foreigner but not because' they love you but only for them convenience.you know that in the Egyptian tourist places by now is grown the sexual tourism,so many Egyptians promise love to the girls,fedeltas' and every week they change girl....how can you marry a man that you know only for computer?come you can leave everything without knowing where you go to end?i believe that you have to think well about this before taking decisions so' important.are you sure that he loves you? are you sure that its interest is not alone for your money?is not beautiful to say this but unfortunately so many boys contemplate only to that.before taking important decisions you owe you have to understand this,you must to know if he loves you.
if among you there is love the language I believe that It is notnot a big problem,with the wish' these obstacles are overcome.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
Originally posted by kamar:
for MARCYDALE 454 :
you have to watch out a lot of because' you know that in egyptso many boys look for to marry a foreigner but not because' they love you but only for them convenience.you know that in the Egyptian tourist places by now is grown the sexual tourism,so many Egyptians promise love to the girls,fedeltas' and every week they change girl....how can you marry a man that you know only for computer?come you can leave everything without knowing where you go to end?i believe that you have to think well about this before taking decisions so' important.are you sure that he loves you? are you sure that its interest is not alone for your money?is not beautiful to say this but unfortunately so many boys contemplate only to that.before taking important decisions you owe you have to understand this,you must to know if he loves you.
if among you there is love the language I believe that It is notnot a big problem,with the wish' these obstacles are overcome.

Hi Kamar! How are You? I know it is silly to think someone can fall in love on the computer... I told him that. I am not willing to leave everything I know and go to Egypt. I told him that I would not marry someone I really do not know. And you can not really know someone without spending time with them for real.Besides that a realionship between 2 people is hard enough when you speak the same language. I can imagine the problems when they don't!!! Oh my God! Thanks I have thought about every possible aspect in this matter.Thanks

marcydale454
Member # 3979

quote:
Originally posted by Noor-77X:
tell him :
ANA AKTAR WAHED BEIHEBAK

Hi Noor-77X ! What does that mean?? something about love? Him & his freind say that from what I can understand.... ANA BACH HABBEDDI means I Love you.... I do not know Arabic.... It sounds like this to me??? How do you spell it? Thanks

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com