EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » why do they stay here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why do they stay here
pearce648
Member # 4059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pearce648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many english women in particular that are living in Luxor and have been for some years can anyone tell me why they stay,as all they do is complain about everything and everyone they say they hate the egyptians that they find them impolite and rude and dirty,they say they are fed up with being ripped off all the time so if it is so bad for them why do they stay?I have lived here now for nearly 8 years and i have been ripped off years ago but still love the egyptians and the way of life,if i hated it so much i would leave straight away without a doubt i cannot understand why these people stay can anyone enlighten me as to why?
Posts: 17 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it strange as well. i met someone the other day and all they did was complain and I thought they must live in a completely different town to me. I love Luxor, especially the West Bank.Today I went into an alabaster factory with some guests and mentioned I was hungry the next thing I knew they made me breakfast. Yes at an alabaster factory.

I find people here the salt of the earth and apart from the police oppression I love everything here.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. The women that stay in Luxor and openly complain about everyone and everything, what are their motives for being here?

Akshar you are very different in the sense that you are respectable , throw youself into the local culture, love the history and have integrated well into the local community. I see many foreign women that seem to have no concept of where they are living - AT ALL!!!!!

An example, one day I was enjoying a drink in Luxor and an English lady came in with a very loud voice talking about all and sundry to the waiters. She then proceeded to show them the underwear that she has just bought from the Lingerie shop at the bottom of TV street for a naughty night with her Egyptian Lover. The waiters were all Laughing but you knew that they had no respect for her and were laughing at her - not with her.
As soon as the people lose respect for you here there is no turning back. A lot of the time these women don't appear to know ANYTHING about the traditions here and probably don't care? It sometimes seems that they have moved here, love the sun and the male attention, think they are in Benidorm, have no understanding of what is acceptable here, show little respect for the locals and then wonder WHY they are being treatly poorly.

My guess is that despite their complaining they get far more attention here from the men that they would ever get at home. I think that maybe this is their reason for staying. Most women take little notice of the cat-calling in the street and the insincere flattery, treating it as a mild irritation. However, I often think that many of these women, who have perhaps not been complimented for years believe it!

I think that living in Luxor or anywhere else in Egypt, you get out of it what you put in. If you are prepared to learn about the Culture/traditions, are respectful and warm to the people, things can be fantastic.

If you come to Egypt expecting to create your own 'Mini Europe', knowing little of the culture and hence making many social faux pas,segregating yourself from the respectable community and complaining that this that and the other is not like at home then things will not be great.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoola
Member # 3192

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Asoola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo Claire, you hit the nail right on the head! It's very unfortunate that the type of women you described who have no understanding of/respect for the culture make a very negative impression on the locals, which makes it so much harder for the rest of us foreign female residents who are here because we DO love and respect the culture and are doing our best to make a living here! Damn them....
Posts: 22 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Pearce, Akshar , Claire and Asoola.

Akshar - I was on the west bank a couple of weeks ago and it was great. I went over on the ferry and had a cup of tea at a local place - it was great. Everyone was nice.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
Akshar - I was on the west bank a couple of weeks ago and it was great. I went over on the ferry and had a cup of tea at a local place - it was great. Everyone was nice.

I am really glad you had a great experience on the West Bank. I know some people are scared of it but I think it is much much less hassle than the East and you can get to meet real people.

Claire you are the second person to call me respectable I am getting worried about my reputation. I never got called that in the UK lol

Seriously you get out what you put in and I think if you make an effort to integrate then you see a completely different place and enjoy it much more.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pearce648
Member # 4059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pearce648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i was very glad that so many of you agree with me.you are right akshar and clair if you have respect for them you earn it back very quickly,i am a gay living here in luxor with my english partner and i think we are very well rspected having given the egyptians our respect over the past years in all ways we do not advertise he fact of our sexual preferences and no body egyptian or english for that matter can say we "get up to anything" some english think they know plenty but this is Luxor and you get so much gossip even if you never venture out of your home. We are no angels but if you are discreet and very sensible you are accepted and respected well i think we are after 8 years anyway. Would love to meet you sometime akshar being in business myself i meet many people who need flats to rent.
Posts: 17 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com