EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving to Egypt with a baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving to Egypt with a baby
pompy
Member # 4341

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for pompy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has received an offer for a job in Alexandria or Cairo and we would like to move there in December 04. We are thrilled but we are also afraid because I am expecting a baby that is due on October.
Is it reasonably healthy for a newborn baby to spend his first months in Egypt? What are the medical facilities in Alexandria and in Cairo area (especially in 10th Ramadan and 6th of October). Any suggestion to help us to decide?
Thanks,

C.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is reasonably healthy yes...
The 70 million people were babies one day
Lots of medical facilities; private facilities rather....expensive....

Cut and Paste for you:MEDICAL FACILITIES:

There are many Western-trained medical professionals in Egypt. The U.S. Embassy in Cairo can provide a list of local hospitals and English-speaking physicians. Medical facilities are adequate for non-emergency matters, particularly in tourist areas. Emergency and intensive care facilities are limited.

There is a low risk of exposure to exotic diseases in Egypt such as Rift Valley Fever (RVF). RVF, which flares up in parts of the country from time to time, is a mosquito-borne disease of domestic animals that can infect humans.

It is safe to eat properly prepared, thoroughly cooked meat and vegetables in tourist hotels, on Nile cruise boats, and in tourist restaurants. Eating uncooked vegetables should be avoided because it can cause diarrhea. Tap water is not potable. It is best to drink bottled water or water that has been boiled and filtered. Well-known brands of bottled beverages are generally considered to be safe.

MEDICAL INSURANCE: The Department of State strongly urges Americans to consult with their medical insurance company prior to traveling abroad to confirm whether their policy applies overseas and if it will cover emergency expenses such as a medical evacuation. U.S. medical insurance plans seldom cover health costs incurred outside the United States, unless supplemental coverage is purchased. Further, U.S. Medicare and Medicaid programs do not provide payment for medical services outside the United States. However, many travel agents and private companies offer insurance plans that will cover health care expenses incurred overseas, including emergency services such as medical evacuation.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 19 May 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monica way to copy and paste without adding any substance!

The facilities are fine, and Egypt has a healthy supply of OB/GYN's.

Wash your vegetables before you cook/eat them (just as you would ANYWHERE in the world).

As for the water, I think its fine. Of course I have been drinking it for many years so I could be used to it. Just like in the US, many people will drink only bottled water or install filters. Its a matter of choice really. The water in the taps is filtered and treated with chlorine just like everywhere else.

Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right! Sorry about that.

http://travel.state.gov/egypt.html

That is where I got it. And it does give much more info including the one you added.

Thanks for the observation

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 20 May 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont worry to much..babys are much loved in egypt and i do believe that love to a child makes them healthy and wise...i visit friends on the west bank and they have a new baby and i have never seen such a happy child..they pass him around like a parcel and he loves it...rod
quote:
Originally posted by pompy:
My husband has received an offer for a job in Alexandria or Cairo and we would like to move there in December 04. We are thrilled but we are also afraid because I am expecting a baby that is due on October.
Is it reasonably healthy for a newborn baby to spend his first months in Egypt? What are the medical facilities in Alexandria and in Cairo area (especially in 10th Ramadan and 6th of October). Any suggestion to help us to decide?
Thanks,

C.

Posts: 120 | From: clevedon..uk | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightlegend
Member # 4349

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightlegend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello:

Rest assured about the medical facilities ,In Cairo there are alot of advanced medical centers and hospitals which offers excellent services ,Also in Alexandria there are alot of great medical centers and I can provide you with detailed information because I live there ,But also you have to consider something ,If you are looking for a healthy atmosphere and you will live in Cairo you have to consider to live outside of Cairo (like in 6 th october) or you can go to Alexandria ,That's because the wheather in Cairo are very hot and has alot of pollution unlike 6 th october and Alexandria.

Best Regards

quote:
Originally posted by pompy:
Thanks,

C.

Posts: 2 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our firstborn was two months old when we were in Egypt for 6 weeks. Breastfeeding and (boiled) tea kept him healthy. We had several good doctors over the years, even in the small village in Tanta we used to go, there are trained physicians. Some owners of drugstores are academic educated like pediatricians and such and just work in their own store for earning more money or being Christians.
You could consider to go to you're country just for the birth. I have been in hospital (not in Eygpt) for my second baby, and I believe it is very complicated to have effective communication in any of them, let alone in a hospital where you don't understand all of it. Let alone the germs in hospitals! Anywhere! But when everything works well I believe you can have you're homebirth if that is what you want. My Egyptian SIL had their babies delivered at home by a very knowledgeable physician. I had my first one at home in my homecountry.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com