EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Any experiences of Egyptian lawyers please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any experiences of Egyptian lawyers please
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be interested to hear anyone’s experiences or opinions on Egyptian lawyers.
We were talking about this in another thread yesterday and I am now a little worried about my own lawyer who handles property matters for me because I know he also, as part of his business, makes ORFI marriage contracts. I have had no problem with him so far but the fact that you have to give them a power of attorney to act for you in the court now worries me.
Does anyone know in what way lawyers are regulated and are you able to make any checks on them with a society that monitors codes of conduct and maintains standards of working practices.

We were also talking about what the lawyers position was if he makes an ORFI contract for two people knowing that one of them is already married. Is he legally required in anyway to check the marital position of the man and woman. Is the lawyer breaking any laws or legal code within his own profession.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, i don't have much info but your embassy in cairo should be able to explain regulations, etc.

i have heard of the Egyptian Bar Association (EBA) and their contact info is listed as:
Egyptian Bar Association, 49a Ramses Street, Cario, Egypt, Tel: 10(202) 451-360, Fax: 10(202) 747-488 in this web site - http://www.hg.org/ Hopefully it's still a working number. If not, this site seems to list the personal contact info for the members of the board (?!) http://www.arabdecision.org/inst_brows_3_14_8_1_5_0.htm

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not have a 'personal' experience myself but members of my family did as well as dear friends. The general opinion is unanimous, many lawyers can be bought, in Egypt as elsewhere in the world.

It is always safer that your lawyer - anywhere in the world - is referred to you by friends or relatives that you trust, that ideally have dealt with him/her.
The way it works in Egypt is by 'reputation' and that is how my family and friends hire a lawyer.

I know for a fact that some ES members here can assist you with a name or two. Give a chance for another few days... I will also ask in the meantime.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
I would be interested to hear anyone’s experiences or opinions on Egyptian lawyers.
We were talking about this in another thread yesterday and I am now a little worried about my own lawyer who handles property matters for me because I know he also, as part of his business, makes ORFI marriage contracts. I have had no problem with him so far but the fact that you have to give them a power of attorney to act for you in the court now worries me.
Does anyone know in what way lawyers are regulated and are you able to make any checks on them with a society that monitors codes of conduct and maintains standards of working practices.

We were also talking about what the lawyers position was if he makes an ORFI contract for two people knowing that one of them is already married. Is he legally required in anyway to check the marital position of the man and woman. Is the lawyer breaking any laws or legal code within his own profession.

Penny

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good question penny. The state does not recognize ORFI marriages (and hence you can't get a Family ID with a ORFI contract. Orfi marriage is only legal in that the two people cannot be arrested for engaging in sexual activities.

The Orfi marriage is something someone does simply for physical pleasure. They don't want the rest of the world to know they are married, and at the same time do not want to anger god or society by sleeping together without being married.

I don't see how the Orfi marriage relates to the property case, except in that you are using that as a judge of his character. I would rate a lawyer drawing up Orfi contracts at the same level as those OB/GYN's who perform operations to restore a girls virginity. Both actions are not exactly illegal, but a lot of people would be pissed off if they found out.

From my experience, my family has been part of several property cases and trials, and in none of those instances did the lawyer need power of attorney. We did make all the court appearances though. Maybe he needs power of attorney if you don't want to show up in court.

Its a risky thing though, once he has power of attorney he can do whatever he wants with your assets.

Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Saladin... yes I guess I am judging him by the fact that he does this ORFI contract work but maybe that is normal for any lawyer trying to make a living ??

Now I am even more worried about the power of attorney .. yes it was because I was not going to go to the court but I understood it just gave him the authority to deal with that particular case. Of course it is in arabic. As the case is finished I will now see if I can get it back and that should answer my fears. But then am I not up against the age old problem that I am then saying to his face ..I don't trust you to leave this on your file?.. am I going to wound his pride... god I hate stepping round this male pride thing all the time.. why can't we just get business done in a professional manner?

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Penny it is difficult to make a general judgement about all the members of any profession.. I mean in each profession and society ,, there is the god and there is the bad.. for instance .. my personal experince that they are good .. as my father himself is a one of the good . famous and honest Lawyres in Egypt ( I am not trying to promote for him as he already verey busy with his private office ) but at the mean time there are so many bad lawyres there ... it is difficult to find out who are the good ones.. but there is one point .. most of the bad ones are the clever ones.. I mean they can get you out if you are charged by commetting crimes ..dealing with drugs..etc and they do that for high fees.. but they are not the sort of the lawyres you can trust.. now the important thing.. if you live in Egypt then you can find the good ones through your friends.. and you can monitor their performance .. but if you are far .. then will be hard... and as I said before do not trust any one who bend the law or who cheates.. good luck

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny you need to worry about this less. A lawyer, much like a doctor or shrink is privy to personal details of their clients. You need to be able to dicsuss this with him in a professional manner.

Also I think I need to note that we have been using the term 'power of attorney' too loosely here. This term covers a broad range of powers, all of which may or may not be included in the power of attorney. For instance I know people who have a power of attorney that only allows them to purchase (not sell) on behalf of a person. It could be that the power of attorney you signed only allowed him to act as your representative in the said case.

If you are suspicious, here's an idea. Say you need a copy of the power of attorney you signed for your personal records (if you already don't have it) and then take it to another lawyer (recommended by a friend you trust) and ask him what the details are. Or just take it to a professional translation office (which is what you should have done to begin with) and have them translate it for you. I'd refer you to my cousin but his law firm does civil courts and not property.

Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Saladin. I will do as you advise.
Hope to sleep a bit better tonight now!

Thanks Penny

Angelfire
Member # 4426

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angelfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>I would be interested to hear anyone’s experiences or opinions on Egyptian lawyers.

See my story below.

>>as part of his business, makes ORFI marriage contracts.

I think that this is normal. And that it isn't the burden of proof of ORFI-giving lawyers to research the marital status of the persons signing the contract. That is my 'feeling' not a professional opinion.

>>I have had no problem with him so far but the fact that you have to give them a power of attorney to act for you in the court now worries me.

This worried me too - in fact, I was concerned that I never *signed* a power of attorney (such as I understood it) but that he simply 'had it' by virtue of the employent contract I signed.

>>Does anyone know in what way lawyers are regulated

Well, they are reguluated, presumably, under the Ministry of Justice.

Here is my story: I orfi married a guy. In the course of our relationship, he got money from me, that he was supposed to pay back (detailed omitted for legal reasons). I found he had married another woman, unbeknownst to me. I knew a guy in the Office of the Court of Hurghada, who helped me to: 1) Find a reputable lawyer and 2) Take him to court. I won. I even got a legal judgement against him (my lawyer is very powerful).

Problem was that the guy I knew who worked in the court, he started trying to pull crap on me. First he told me my lawyer wanted more money - and I didnt give it at first. Then I gave him a little. Then he told me that a deposit was needed with the court to have my husbands case finish - Id get the money back. I didnt have time to check on it, and I gave it to him. Then he said that someone was blackmailing him at work, because of my case, and he was going to lose his job. He claimed that my lawyer was involved in the blackmail.

At this point, I still believed him - things like that happen in Egypt. I work with governments, and I was considering writing the Ministry about this.

I had been going through my "friend" in the court, because my lawyer's english wasn't good.

Then I finally called the lawyer, and spoke to him. It turns out that none of the money I gave my "friend" ever went to him. My "friend" had collected about 500 dollars himself.

So I asked "friend" for the money back - and he (who is also a lawyer, but working for the City Court) sneered "no one will believe you or help you" and "you need me to get the money from your husband".

Fortunatly, the lawyer he referred me to was honest (!) and offered to help me, but said I had to fly down there.

Not wanting to waste time and money doing that, I sent evidence of the "theft" (or fraud) of the "friend" to the Office of the Ministry of Justice.

The "friend" was suddenly being told he was going to prison, and losing his job.

"Friend"'s family paid me back the 500 dollars he owed me.

My lawyer sent it back to me, via western union. Actually, it had to go through my Egyptian girlfriend, in Cairo, since Western Unions in the small Red Sea cities don't send money.

So in the middle of all the scammers, I found really good people.

I still expect money back from my ex-husband. If he doesnt send it, he is going to prison. My lawyer is working with him.

If anyone needs a lawyer in Hurghada, I know the name of a good one. Just write me at: tenderheart@loveable.com

Angelfire.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Angel fire.

Thank you so much for posting your experience. It is good to know there are good honest people out there you can trust, and also that the law does work to protect you.
Several things happened this week that also showed me I can trust my lawyer and I am more than happy with him now that he is working in my best interests. It gets hard sometimes when you are not sure if you can trust your own judgement of people.

Thanks again and I am so glad for you that you got justice in the end. It must have been a very hard time for you

All the best Penny

roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny,shop around for a lawyer,most of them will do there work in a coffee shop or in the stret, no there are no hard and fast rules, there are very few that you can trust if you are not egyptian then they will ask you for a great deal of money they are very seldom checked on and who checks them anyway they all work under the same umbrella its all money under the table, if you want a good and honest one let me know ,it took me 2 years to get mine, marrianne why all the questions are you having problems let me know..
Posts: 120 | From: clevedon..uk | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had terrible problems with my lawyers and in the end had nightmares about the proxies that were in operation to the three lawyers that had worked for me. But they can easily be cancelled if you have a copy and know the number. Cancel the lot and then issue a limited proxy for a specific purposes only if you have to. Trust nobody - check everything - get everything translated independently. Lawyers often represent both sides and work hardest for whoever pays the most. It is better if the lawyer has a permanent office rather than a table in the local coffee shop. Ask the Tourist Police what their experience of a particular lawyer is. They will give you an honest and reasoned answer. Good luck
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fridaies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that there r good and bad in every profession..but of course, use the Egyptian proverb: 7arras wala te7'awensh!..that is"be careful but not act as if the other is a traitor"..
The power of attorney is a very lengthy document divided in paragraphs into what sort of power u will hand over to your attorney..there is a special section (either written down or u have to fill it in) where u say "it is power only relating to that case in court"..or all cases in courts...Actually when u go to th office "shahr 3akaree"and u want to sign a power of attorney (complete one) u will find the employee there looking at u in amazement and he/she will keep asking u: r u sure? r u sure?...they r busy buddies but it is beneficial to show u the gravity of the situation!!
Another matter of the gawaz orfi!...it gives no credibility/ loss of credibility if a lawyer does that! coz most of the big names engage in such contracts...because whom do u think a famous person would go for such a marriage, but the highest of his profession..There r all sorts of dealings in a lawyer office..
By the way, this contract is not compelety illegal..because for a woman if it is proven that she is married Orfi, then she cannot be married legally in the same time! and she has to get a divorce from the normal courts first..weard, heeee?

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Thank you Saladin. I will do as you advise.
Hope to sleep a bit better tonight now!

Thanks Penny

Posts: 63 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com