EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Justice!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Justice!
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
300 lashes for wife-beater
RIYADH

A husband who severely battered his wife, a popular TV presenter, has been sentenced to six months in jail and 300 lashes, a newspaper reported on Monday, after a national outcry in Saudi Arabia.
Muhammad Bakar Yunus Al Fallatta repeatedly smashed his wife’s head into the walls and tiled floor and dumped her unconscious at hospital on April 4, Arab News said.

Rania Al Baz, who suffered 13 facial fractures and is still having reconstructive surgery, agreed to have photographs of her injuries published in the press in a campaign to raise awareness of a kingdom-wide problem.

Fallatta, who surrendered to police on April 19, was found guilty on May 29 of severe battery after an attempted murder charge was dropped.

Baz, who is seeking divorce and custody of the couple’s two sons, said she did not wish to comment on the outcome.

Her lawyer said a private claim would likely follow the public case. Under Sharia law, if Baz seeks compensation, her husband could either be ordered to pay damages or be given a beating of equal severity to the one he inflicted on his wife.

Fallatta is reportedly refusing to agree to a divorce, which leaves the court with the option of revoking the marriage contract.

AFP

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptianambition
Member # 4376

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for egyptianambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was terrible ,i have seen the tv presenter in one of the magazines which was publishing the accident and oh my God!!!! she was completely different before and after the accident and what he did to her,i think if there it is not enough the 6th months for him this is completely injustice to the much damage he caused her not only physically but also emotionally and in the end when the 6 months ends and as he is not willing to divorce her so he will be out again to repeat the same thing again cause 6 months is nothing.
it is not safe after what happened to live with such character again

Posts: 74 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he should have been convicted of attempted murder or whatever the Saudi equivalent is. However, the possibility that he may receive an equal beating through the private claim is something to hope for. Lets keep our fingers crossed!
Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amin.
Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sallyally
Member # 3426

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sallyally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder...

How effective is it (in the long term) to respond to violence with more violence? Will this man learn anything by being whipped? Would it not make more sense to have him undergo some sort of intensive therapy? Or is this still not an option in Saudi Arabia?

Don't get me wrong-I find such behaviour appalling! I just question whether the punishment will do anything to change his behaviour in the future.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sallyally:
I just question whether the punishment will do anything to change his behaviour in the future.

I don't think so

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptianambition
Member # 4376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptianambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do agree with u sally and remo,facing violence with similar violence wont make any benifit ,i think it can bring side effects cause it wont help neither parties the man who beated his wife nor the wife ,i do agree with sally this man should be dealt with as a sick patient and try to put him under psychlogical therapy and see the underlying causes for what he had done to his wife so as to help this violent acts not repeated again.this is my humble opinion
Posts: 74 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lashes will do nothing to stop violence but any treatment should be administered while he is locked up in jail. He should not be able to wslk free from what he has done and he must be kept away from his wife. I wonder is having him lashed makes his wife feel any better?
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course the lashes will act as a deterrent from him doing this again. 300 lashes with a whip on your bare back is a lot.

Also keep in mind that the possibility is open for an equiavelent beating when she pursues a private claim. This is seperate from the 300 lashes.

The lashes work as negative reinforcement for the actions he took. Anyone here read Pavlov?

Although I cannot claim to be an expert on the matter, I think most battered women would opt for an equivalent beating instead of jail time.

I just asked a friend at work and she said that if she were in the same situation, she would opt for the equivalent beating, 300 lashes and 6 months in jail, as opposed to any kind of psychiatric attention.

[This message has been edited by Saladin (edited 10 June 2004).]

Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com