EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What's acceptable as a topic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's acceptable as a topic
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it seems that moderators deleted two threads I found interesting, it raises a question: what's acceptable in a topic?

The cultural differences and resulting issues between foreigners and Egyptians seems to be a tabu topic.

On the other hand, the 99999999999th topic on foreigner woman in love with Egyptian liar / cheater but oh-so-sweet man seems to pass.

Has recently high IQ become a sin here on ES?

Given that one of the threads was aiming for a more reasonable, less slandering attitude of foreigners towards Egypt, I wonder whether this forum is not anti-Egyptian after all.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lori,

The posts that followed yours, were unfortunately only but insults towards other ES members and offending words. You would have not appreciated that at all.

It was removed by the moderators, because it was becoming a nightmare.

Cheers!

quote:
Originally posted by Lori:
Since it seems that moderators deleted two threads I found interesting, it raises a question: what's acceptable in a topic?

The cultural differences and resulting issues between foreigners and Egyptians seems to be a tabu topic.

On the other hand, the 99999999999th topic on foreigner woman in love with Egyptian liar / cheater but oh-so-sweet man seems to pass.

Has recently high IQ become a sin here on ES?

Given that one of the threads was aiming for a more reasonable, less slandering attitude of foreigners towards Egypt, I wonder whether this forum is not anti-Egyptian after all.

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Hi Lori,

The posts that followed yours, were unfortunately only but insults towards other ES members and offending words. You would have not appreciated that at all.

Cheers!

This did not answer the question - what is acceptable as a topic here.

And I really do not appreciate a moderator deleting the only two postings I have made that day.

Short of a personal apology from the moderator, I will not honor this website with my postings any more.

Cheers!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Lori, you didn't really see how that thread evolved so don't be so sanctimonious. Anyway *I* asked the mods to delete my thread. I started it with an intention of having a reasonable discussion and it evolved into a personal fight, which I am okay with but not on that thread, I wouldn't mind one bit if Dajjal rewrote all his gems on a separate thread.

I can feel your frustration at your posts being deleted. Hope you can understand mine when an attempt to hear what others think about something turned into that (which you obviously didn't see).

Sorry Lori for your deleted posts, but I don't regret having it deleted.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
Well Lori, you didn't really see how that thread evolved so don't be so sanctimonious. Anyway *I* asked the mods to delete my thread. I started it with an intention of having a reasonable discussion and it evolved into a personal fight, which I am okay with but not on that thread, I wouldn't mind one bit if Dajjal rewrote all his gems on a separate thread.

I can feel your frustration at your posts being deleted. Hope you can understand mine when an attempt to hear what others think about something turned into that (which you obviously didn't see).

Sorry Lori for your deleted posts, but I don't regret having it deleted.

Actually what I was mostly curious about was your reply to my post. I think your posts are among the most intelligent on this board, I took some time to think and write something and I was looking forward to your comments.

Perhaps you can use this thread to tell me what your opinion of my post was. This is what I wanted in the first place.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually what I was mostly curious about was your reply to my post. I think your posts are among the most intelligent on this board, I took some time to think and write something and I was looking forward to your comments.

Perhaps you can use this thread to tell me what your opinion of my post was. This is what I wanted in the first place.

Sorry Lori, I don't really recall the details of what you said. If you don't mind can you just write the gist of it again. You know I could mince words and say it was "sincere, well rounded, yada yada" when I honestly don't remember it but that wouldn't be fair.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
Sorry Lori, I don't really recall the details of what you said. If you don't mind can you just write the gist of it again. You know I could mince words and say it was "sincere, well rounded, yada yada" when I honestly don't remember it but that wouldn't be fair.

Do you mean would I spend another half an hour to think and write something that you ignore and delete?

You must think I'm really stupid or what?!?

Don't complain of the quality of posts here then, if you treat someone who respects your opinions and takes time to thoughtfully write to you in this awful manner, then kimo habibi, stupid postings is all you deserve!

Enjoy the drama, suspense and high emotional charge of a new episode of "Foreign Woman vs Egy Man". I am sure someone will post one soon.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Do you mean would I spend another half an hour to think and write something that you ignore and delete?

You must think I'm really stupid or what?!?

Don't complain of the quality of posts here then, if you treat someone who respects your opinions and takes time to thoughtfully write to you in this awful manner, then kimo habibi, stupid postings is all you deserve!

Enjoy the drama, suspense and high emotional charge of a new episode of "Foreign Woman vs Egy Man". I am sure someone will post one soon.

Oh come on Lori, don't be upset. Just try to understand how it went, I came to see responses and read through all of them (yes yours, Jane's, and Jutta's) but I don't recall every detail. All I remember is that all three were very good actually and had the same main thread: I love Egypt but cultural differences are mind boggling and can get me going! So no Lori, I didn't ignore you and I do respect your opinion. Biggest proof is I asked you to tell me just the outlines again so that I can write something reasonable instead of relying on my memory to write some generic sh*t. If I didn't respect your opinion all I'd have written was some praise for your response, nothing substantial really. But then I'd be fooling you.

Mashy?

nefertity's eyes
Member # 4331

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for nefertity's eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Lori,

Cheers!

i was looking for a topic about loving egypt ther was no insult it was a good one but it was removed how could i find it again

------------------
lamiaâ

Posts: 57 | From: casablanca.morocco | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
Oh come on Lori, don't be upset. Just try to understand how it went, I came to see responses and read through all of them (yes yours, Jane's, and Jutta's) but I don't recall every detail. All I remember is that all three were very good actually and had the same main thread: I love Egypt but cultural differences are mind boggling and can get me going! So no Lori, I didn't ignore you and I do respect your opinion. Biggest proof is I asked you to tell me just the outlines again so that I can write something reasonable instead of relying on my memory to write some generic sh*t. If I didn't respect your opinion all I'd have written was some praise for your response, nothing substantial really. But then I'd be fooling you.

Mashy?

What is Mashy?

Look, I don't remember word by word what I wrote. But like you, I've often wondered why people keep thrashing Egypt but returning to Her over and over again.

For me, I went to Egypt by myself after a difficult year which represented crossroads of my life (future husband dead by fast-moving cancer, mother with health problems, sister moved across the ocean etc.). I did go to Sharm because a friend of mine who went to Hurghada with her husband told me Hurghada was dirty and she heard Sharm was better. From the very first moment I had a very strange feeling of having returned home. I was lucky enough to make friends from among the tourists in my group so I did not feel alone. Because of my grief I was not interested in any men, I only took in the incredible red gold colour of everything, the desert, the sun, the sea, the feeling of being where it all began for humanity.

Cairo, where I visited for one day only, was fascinating if a bit of a shock. But I have not seen enough of Egypt, not by a long way.

When I left Egypt I felt a part of me stayed behind and is calling me there. At the moment I am job-hunting so I can return to Egypt in an honorable way. If I can not find a suitable job - because I do not speak Arabic and am a woman - then I will return to visit from time to time and learn more.

I do not feel a need to judge the Egyptians because at the moment I do not feel I understand them enough. So you see, I am still looking for answers about Egypt.

That's what I wrote, more or less.
Now you answer kimo! Mashy?

------------------
sandal_wood@hotmail.com

Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Lori,

Cheers!

Monica,

I agree with you, at least one of the thread which I replied to and wrote my opinion ( which people could agree with or not), was turned to a place where some of the honoured members started to make some assumption about my personal life and give some sexual advices. Something that have never happened before here, except after some people have joined!!!!!

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
What is Mashy?

Look, I don't remember word by word what I wrote. But like you, I've often wondered why people keep thrashing Egypt but returning to Her over and over again.

For me, I went to Egypt by myself after a difficult year which represented crossroads of my life (future husband dead by fast-moving cancer, mother with health problems, sister moved across the ocean etc.). I did go to Sharm because a friend of mine who went to Hurghada with her husband told me Hurghada was dirty and she heard Sharm was better. From the very first moment I had a very strange feeling of having returned home. I was lucky enough to make friends from among the tourists in my group so I did not feel alone. Because of my grief I was not interested in any men, I only took in the incredible red gold colour of everything, the desert, the sun, the sea, the feeling of being where it all began for humanity.

Cairo, where I visited for one day only, was fascinating if a bit of a shock. But I have not seen enough of Egypt, not by a long way.

When I left Egypt I felt a part of me stayed behind and is calling me there. At the moment I am job-hunting so I can return to Egypt in an honorable way. If I can not find a suitable job - because I do not speak Arabic and am a woman - then I will return to visit from time to time and learn more.

I do not feel a need to judge the Egyptians because at the moment I do not feel I understand them enough. So you see, I am still looking for answers about Egypt.

That's what I wrote, more or less.
Now you answer kimo! Mashy?

LOL, well, mashy = okay. mashy?
I think travelling to a (very) foreign country is a good way to deal with hard times like those you had. Did it help?

Well, let me tell you one thing, I know a lot of people will disagree with me but if you want to know the real Egypt you have to spend some time in Cairo. You're right, one day is definitely not enough to pass judgement. With all due respect to Luxor, Hurghada, and Sharm; these places are good for having fun but most of Egypt's population actually lives north of Cairo so that's where you have to go if you don't want to get the tourity experience.

Why was Cairo a shock?

But what do people mean when they say they left a part of them behind. What do you feel calling you back? Is it the people, the desert, the sea, or just a certain something in the air?

The fact that you are a woman in many cases is not as big a problem as some people seem to think. I mean Egyptian women DO work, and they are very respectable! But that Arabic thing can be a problem, maybe you can take courses (although I hear it's very hard to learn Arabic just from books).

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
Monica,

I agree with you, at least one of the thread which I replied to and wrote my opinion ( which people could agree with or not), was turned to a place where some of the honoured members started to make some assumption about my personal life and give some sexual advices. Something that have never happened before here, except after some people have joined!!!!!

Cheers

Look Mooly, I don't know if you mean me or soeone else. But if you mean me then I'll let you know:
1-I joined ES way before most people here. Actually no one that still posts here has been on ES longer or as long as me except for about five people.
2-I don't think I talked about your sex life or anything too personal.

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
LOL, well, mashy = okay. mashy?
I think travelling to a (very) foreign country is a good way to deal with hard times like those you had. Did it help?

Well, let me tell you one thing, I know a lot of people will disagree with me but if you want to know the real Egypt you have to spend some time in Cairo. You're right, one day is definitely not enough to pass judgement. With all due respect to Luxor, Hurghada, and Sharm; these places are good for having fun but most of Egypt's population actually lives north of Cairo so that's where you have to go if you don't want to get the tourity experience.

Why was Cairo a shock?

But what do people mean when they say they left a part of them behind. What do you feel calling you back? Is it the people, the desert, the sea, or just a certain something in the air?

The fact that you are a woman in many cases is not as big a problem as some people seem to think. I mean Egyptian women DO work, and they are very respectable! But that Arabic thing can be a problem, maybe you can take courses (although I hear it's very hard to learn Arabic just from books).

Yes, it did help. Before going to Egypt I was very angry with him for dying on me the way he did. Afterwards I understood things from his perspective as well, and now am free.

Cairo is definitely the place to be in Egypt. It was a shock because of the sharp contrasts between new and old, clean and dirty, many people seemed poor and yet happy, you know, a lot of contradictions.

Oh, and I did not like being stared at and excessively smiled at and followed.

Why did I chose Sharm? Well I grew up by the sea, and I need it. I could not live without it. Now I live in a country without sea. It's terrible. When I went to the travel agency, my request was "where can I still swim in the sea in December?"

What I feel is calling me back? I don't know. I feel I lived there in a past life, long ago. It was like RECOGNIZING things everywhere, such a weird feeling.

I was taking Arabic classes with a teacher, but she is Syrian and I don't like her accent and don't want to speak like that.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo you would not let me seduce you and you deserted me for hussies with sushi so I've pushed my way in here for some peace and quiet. Please don't evict me. I'm being slaughtered on another line (not quite as bad as Monica was though) and I'm fed up with it.

Can we highjack this line for a "What is good about Egypt" topic?

I live in Egypt, if Allah loves me then I will die here - a happy woman. What more could I ask of him.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Look Mooly, I don't know if you mean me or soeone else. But if you mean me then I'll let you know:
1-I joined ES way before most people here. Actually no one that still posts here has been on ES longer or as long as me except for about five people.
2-I don't think I talked about your sex life or anything too personal.

Kimo,

Why you are so defensive , I never meant you at all. In fact I was not referring to a particular person, rather to group of people. I do not know whether you agree with me or not, but the dynamic of this forum has recently changed. You can see for yourself, Monica who used to post at least 20 reply each day stopped, as well as many members.

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akshar has accepted a challenge I set her and started a new line. Well done Akshar - I'm proud of you.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 18 June 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
Akshar has accepted a challenge I set her and started a new line. Well done Akshar - I'm proud of you.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 18 June 2004).]

Shukran, but i hope others will join in.i know there are plenty of us here with good experienes and who feel Egypt is our home.

Mind you this time i have kept a copy of my post lol

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori,

Sorry if I did'nt answer your question before...I was focusing on what happened on the thread. As far as I understand it, all topics seem to be acceptable here.

When a full thread is removed it is usually at the request of the member that started the thread or if the thread is offending from the first post. That is what I understand.

Maybe the moderator could correct me, if I'm mistaken. Thank you.

Best always,

Monica

quote:
This did not answer the question - what is acceptable as a topic here.

And I really do not appreciate a moderator deleting the only two postings I have made that day.

Short of a personal apology from the moderator, I will not honor this website with my postings any more.

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 18 June 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you remember the name of the topic? if you do, you can make a search for it.

quote:
Originally posted by nefertity's eyes:
i was looking for a topic about loving egypt ther was no insult it was a good one but it was removed how could i find it again

egyptianman
Member # 4506

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for egyptianman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dare I start another thread like the one that got deleted?

I posted it... went to sleep... got up in the morning and found it gone.. it was getting interesting I guess.

But if it contained personal insults.. it is better that it had got deleted. I think there was another similar thread started by Kimo.

Nah.. better not

------------------

[This message has been edited by egyptianman (edited 18 June 2004).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com