EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What can Egypt do about the crisis in the Sudan?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What can Egypt do about the crisis in the Sudan?
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We hear a lot about the civilian deaths in Palestine and Iraq on here but there is little discussion about the crisis in Egypt's backyard. In the 21 year civil war, millions have died and the ethnic clensing in the Darfur region threatens hopes for peace. What is Egypt's policy towards Sudan and what can Egypt do to help peace talks?
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really feel peace can be achieved there unless some other country intervenes with force. I doubt that Egypt will enter a war against Sudan and that is what would need to happen from where I see it, because the Sudanese government is supporting the groups that are killing the Christians and Animists. Too bad the Animists don't have oil because then the US might save them... or then again the US might bomb them to pieces.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undead:
Too bad the Animists don't have oil because then the US might save them... or then again the US might bomb them to pieces.

I'm American but I agree with you. If Kuwait didn't have oil they'd be part of Iraq today. Still, the US isn't the only country that could do something. Where's the UN or NATO? I doubt that Sudan will even be discussed at the NATO summit...

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the UN is already involved, a friend of mine is there presently on a UN humanitarian effort. The problem is, they can help the victims but they can't fight a civil war. It is not really NATO responsibility given that Sudan is not in Europe, generally that is the theater of that treaty. Do you personally feel the Sudanese government should be overthrown to protect the Christians and Animists? I do, myself, but who is going to do it? Perhaps I should organize a crack special forces team and take them out
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially when Mubarak supports the facist Bashir. What can you really do? Well,I also feel sorry for the Beja people in Sudan who are Muslims but have resisted for along time with little or no support from others. How come we never hear about these people?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well with 4 million Sudanese refugees living in Egypt (many of them Christian and animist from the south) I'd say we are doing more than many countries especially with our poor overstressed economy.

Anyway aren't they almost reaching a peace agreement with the south now? I don't know about Darfur but we always hear about Egyptian support for the peace process in the south and Egyptian TV is always blasting us with political debates between south and north Sudanese that most people here yawn at.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear all,

I am not sure what role that the Egyptian government could play in the current situation in Sudan. Actually I should not say the current situation, the civil war in Sudan has lasted for the past 20 years. The war is between the Sudanese government and the Sudan people liberation movement in the south. Although there have been many attempt for resorting peace, yet the government during all the time was supporting a rebel group called Jingaweid (Arab) militia group, to mainly kill civilians from non Arab ethnic descend like Fur, Masaalit and Zaghawa. This group have killed thousands of people and has resulted in the displacement of 1.2 million from a total population of 6.7 million.

The situation has accelerated in Feb 2003, when the government has provided more support to this group which has resulted in raid on many villages and massacre of innocent civilians, rape of women and children, and ethnic genocide. Moreover, the rise of two counter rebel groups; the justice and equality movement (JEM) and the Sudan liberation movement/ Army (SLM/A).Both groups demand the Sudanese government to stop providing aid to the Arab groups.

Actually the situation is very bad, there is areas that no body including the UN could access, one of the very few NGOs that could access some parts is Doctors without Borders (MSF) and there reports are very alarming. There are increasing number of death, endemic of some disease, very high mortality rate due to lack of medical facilities, very high mal-nutrition, and sanitation related diseases and infections. I have no clue how this issue could be resolved, but kicking out the current Sudanese government is a needed step.

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com