EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What the hell is kalesh?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the hell is kalesh?
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Egyptian and I only see the word "kalesh" on ES and other boards. So what is it anyway? What is a kalesh boy? And is it something/someone unique to Luxor because I did ask around and found no one knows the meaning of the word.
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo - are you joking?

If not - A calleche is a horse drawn carriage that is used for transport in southern Egypt - like a taxi. Costs 3 LE to get wherever you want to go, unless you are a trourist and then it costs whatever the driver can get out of you.

The drivers? Well as they mix with tourists a lot, they take advantage of the situation and "entertain" their clients with personal services.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
Kimo - are you joking?

If not - A calleche is a horse drawn carriage that is used for transport in southern Egypt - like a taxi. Costs 3 LE to get wherever you want to go, unless you are a trourist and then it costs whatever the driver can get out of you.

The drivers? Well as they mix with tourists a lot, they take advantage of the situation and "entertain" their clients with personal services.

No actually I am dead serious. I used to think that kalesh simply meant male prostitute till I read about people riding a kalesh to their hotel and I thought that's a bit hardcore.

I do know what a horse drawn carriage is but in Cairo we call it a caretta! Does anyone know if kalesh is an upper Egyptian word or one which was made up by tourists because it sure doesn't sound Arabic to me.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it certainly isn't a European word we would call it carriage.

Certainly my husband uses the word. I guess must be upper Egyptian

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The carriages are well decorated with brass ornaments and have upholstered seats and hoods to protect passengers from the sun. Some of the horses are not well cared for though and have their ribs showing. Very sad.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo, it's a 'hantour' in Arabic, like the ones you see around the Cairo tower. Caleche is a french word, I believe. I'd never heard of it either till a couple of years ago.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omelbanaat
Member # 4616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for omelbanaat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a local bastardization of english word "carriage", like "Shattab" derived from english "shut up".
Posts: 35 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo,

Calèche is a French word for carriage or HANTOUR...in Arabic as citizen said... but the word comes from a CZECH (Slovakian) sports car that was named: KOLESA, that was popular, circa 1646...

Caretta is Italian for a sort of carriage....or carrier...used in Egypt since the 40's influenced by the Italian wave towards Egypt at the time.

Same thing for example for the word ROBBA BECCHIA...that you must hear in the morning in the streets of Cairo or Alexandria...it is not Arabic, but pronounced the Egyptian way, for saying ROBA VECCHIA ..Italian, for Old clothes

quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
Kimo, it's a 'hantour' in Arabic, like the ones you see around the Cairo tower. Caleche is a french word, I believe. I'd never heard of it either till a couple of years ago.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 01 July 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
Member # 2262

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Carmen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
I am Egyptian and I only see the word "kalesh" on ES and other boards. What is a kalesh boy? And is it something/someone unique to Luxor because I did ask around and found no one knows the meaning of the word.

So what is a kalesh boythen???

------------------
Visit our community for women only at: http://pub163.ezboard.com/bthenewtreehouse

Posts: 119 | From: Spain, Madrid | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Kimo,

[b]Calèche is a French word for carriage or HANTOUR...in Arabic as citizen said... but the word comes from a CZECH (Slovakian) sports car that was named: KOLESA, that was popular, circa 1646...

Caretta is Italian for a sort of carriage....or carrier...used in Egypt since the 40's influenced by the Italian wave towards Egypt at the time.

Same thing for example for the word ROBBA BECCHIA...that you must hear in the morning in the streets of Cairo or Alexandria...it is not Arabic, but pronounced the Egyptian way, for saying ROBA VECCHIA ..Italian, for Old clothes

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 01 July 2004).][/B]

Yes of course I know caretta has Italian origins like gilati and biliacho and farawla (all in Egyptian spelling). I just said that's what we call it in Cairo.

But thanks a lot citizen and monica, it was nice to know where that word came from. Monica, how the hell do you know all this stuff?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ya Kimo..happy I could help...
to answer your Q: I guess I'm an infoholic

Join us also at http://www.youregypt.com/forum/

quote:
Yes of course I know caretta has Italian origins like gilati and biliacho and farawla (all in Egyptian spelling). I just said that's what we call it in Cairo.

But thanks a lot citizen and monica, it was nice to know where that word came from. Monica, how the hell do you know all this stuff?

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, you're a nerd too!
Well cool, a nerd with social skills.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wallahy.. weratha el zaher...
and you are too I see....

Join us also at http://www.youregypt.com/forum/

quote:
Oooh, you're a nerd too!
Well cool, a nerd with social skills.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry...KOLESA mean wheels. Not carriage, not a car name.

By the way, the car name SKODA, is also slang that doesn't have an exact english equivalent but roughly translates into "oh, that's too bad (that you had bad luck)"

always found it funny that they named a car that (though, it is also a czech surname).

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Hi there..

Thanks for the correction.

Got my info according to the Classic French Larousse (lexis/dictionary)1979 edition, that says calèche is derived from the CZECH word KOLESA described as a 'type' of 4 wheels automobile with a front high seat, and open hood/sports type ~ existing circa 1646.

French: 'voiture hyppomobile à 4 roues, découverte, munie en avant avec un siège à dossier'.

quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
sorry...KOLESA mean wheels. Not carriage, not a car name.

By the way, the car name SKODA, is also slang that doesn't have an exact english equivalent but roughly translates into "oh, that's too bad (that you had bad luck)"

always found it funny that they named a car that (though, it is also a czech surname).

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Calache boy/mn - the person that drives it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com