EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Can't believe she pardoned him

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't believe she pardoned him
Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As we all know, the husband of the Saudi TV Anchor who beat her up got only 6 months in jail.
What is more shocking is that she pardoned him!!
Read the story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3866969.stm

Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saladin:
As we all know, the husband of the Saudi TV Anchor who beat her up got only 6 months in jail.
What is more shocking is that she pardoned him!!
Read the story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3866969.stm

Saladin, as a frequent visitor of BBC.com, I read this story when it happened. It is unbelievable! I believe he had to serve the full term and actually years ago.

When you take your private life to the public level as a public figure, what kind of message do you send to the rest of the Saudi women with similar problems? pardon beaters? Forgiveness is a virtue, I admit, the proof of pure and loving heart. At least she did not get back to this creep and will sue for custody of her kids. Should we judge her actions harshly? I do not know, but maybe from the stand point of her society, she has already taken a brave move? It is still her private matter

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 05 July 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omelbanaat
Member # 4616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for omelbanaat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect this was probably the only way to guarantee that he wouldn't fight for custody of their boys. If so, good for her; at least she's out of the marriage.
Posts: 35 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very important fact on Middle Eastern/North African/Arab culture.

The father of OUR Children...is FORGIVEN...whatever he does. And usually...it is vice-versa...in terms of forgiveness only.. not taking them back. There are exceptions of course.

So, in this case.. she already did a super great step for the women of Saudi by creating the awareness, and taking that part of her life public, with courage...but at the end of the day, she forgave the father of her children...

Most women in the Middle East do. ( Most)

quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
Saladin, as a frequent visitor of BBC.com, I read this story when it happened. It is unbelievable! I believe he had to serve the full term and actually years ago.

When you take your private life to the public level as a public figure, what kind of message do you send to the rest of the Saudi women with similar problems? pardon beaters? Forgiveness is a virtue, I admit, the proof of pure and loving heart. At least she did not get back to this creep and will sue for custody of her kids. Should we judge her actions harshly? I do not know, but maybe from the stand point of her society, she has already taken a brave move? Maybe it is still her private matter. ??????

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Very important fact on Middle Eastern/North African/Arab culture.

The father of OUR Children...is FORGIVEN...whatever he does. And usually...it is vice-versa...in terms of forgiveness only.. not taking them back. There are exceptions of course.

So, in this case.. she already did a super great step for the women of Saudi by creating the awareness, and taking that part of her life public, with courage...but at the end of the day, she forgave the father of her children...

Most women in the Middle East do. ( Most)

I guess, if he beat her to death, there would not need to forgive. Father of her children.. abuser... If he were indeed that father, he would not have beaten her... I cannot call him "father", husband, etc. he is a criminal, enough said. regardless of culture...Such mentality actually promotes further abuse and teaches kids exactly what? How about that?

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
I guess, if he beat her to death, there would not need to forgive. Father of her children.. abuser... If he were indeed that father, he would not have beaten her... I cannot call him "father", husband, etc. he is a criminal, enough said. regardless of culture...Such mentality actually promotes further abuse and teaches kids exactly what? How about that?

Dear kate,

Remember we had pervious discussions on the concept of " negotiating power" and as Monica said, she probably has given up her right " power" to sue him in return of her children's custody.

We have also talked about how these communities especially in the gulf area are tribal communities. Therefore, whether to sue him or not is not a individualistic decision, it is more a communal one. Think about it from this perspective. This does not diminish the fact that he is a abuser and deserves the highest possible sentence.

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really creeped me out was her interview on MBC. I mean she had everyone on her side after that, and she didn't seem to be about to forgive him (rightfully so). But the weird part is she seemed to still love him!!! She said he had problems (as in psychological problems) and he was not really like that, but she wouldn't forgive him anyway. She sounded very forgiving, I can't even picture a battered Egyptian anchor/actress/singer being that composed, they would sure raise hell.

As for what message she sends by doing this, I guess it's none of out buisness. Public figure or not (I had never heard of her before that), her private life is her private life. She can't just base her decisions on sending messages to the public, screw the public.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
. She can't just base her decisions on sending messages to the public, screw the public.

that is a good point

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
Dear kate,

Remember we had pervious discussions on the concept of " negotiating power" and as Monica said, she probably has given up her right " power" to sue him in return of her children's custody.

We have also talked about how these communities especially in the gulf area are tribal communities. Therefore, whether to sue him or not is not a individualistic decision, it is more a communal one. Think about it from this perspective. This does not diminish the fact that he is a abuser and deserves the highest possible sentence.

Cheers

Mooly, reading the article, I did suspect that she traded her right... I understand it as part of her rational decision under the circumstances and rules of the society she lives in, as you say. But simply forgive because he is still a father of her children, beats me, because guess what, he is not a good father and is not a good husband. The mentality that prevails otherwise, hell surely creates a vicious circle for this kind of problem.

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 06 July 2004).]

Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the decision is up to her and that the society is different and all that. It doesn't mean that in this case the rules and norms of the society is correct. This man battered his wife to within an inch of death. 6 months in jail for that is completely wrong. Just like it is wrong that Jordanian men can kill women for 'violating the family honor' and spend 3 months in jail.

Norms and conventions in our society shapes how we interact with each other, it gives us our unique character and defines the order of things. However, these norms and conventions can also bring down a great deal of harm onto an individual. This is when change needs to occur. Ms. Baz's photographs had planted the seeds of that change. It brought promise that no longer would domestic violence be swept under the rug. It brought the ugly face of a topic that so many people choose to ignore into our homes. It raised awareness and spurned discussions. These were the beginnings of change.

I myself find it very hard to believe should would have required any concession from her husband in order to obtain a divorce and full custody. Nevertheless, whatever her motivation, it is a sad day that this criminal, this barbarian did not even serve the full term of what was already a paltry sentence.

Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In many cases ,marriage, education, divorce…etc, the decision should/must an individual one. However, in the land of fact/reality it is a communal decision, meaning that the nuclear and extended family, neighbours , friends ……interfere and influence if not force the decision. Whether this is right or wrong, whether we like or it, this is the situation in many cases and especially in our communities.

Of course there is a need to change a lot of ideologies in the community , to empower women, to eliminate social stigma and gender based violence. The need for social change is a Must. There is the need to exercise Rights, but rights are also related to the changing properties of political, cultural, values that have to do with dispositions of power in a given society. So in my opinion what is needed is not one single act against exercised violence, but rather a collective understanding of the right, which provide individuals with choice and hence possibility of diversity.

cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com