EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Taxis in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taxis in Cairo
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that the government invested in low pollution emission taxis in Cairo.

How easy are these cabs to recognise - do they have special markings - and hard would it be to try to use them exclusively?

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hard time not laughing at your post and them I realised you have never been to Cairo.

No chance, it just doesn't work like that here.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saladin
Member # 4220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually they do have markings but its not mandatory. The government gave everyone, especially taxis and minibuses huge incentive to switch to natural gas. You can see cars with a little sticker with a picture of a green flame and a little inscrption in arabic saying it runs on natural gas. But not everyone puts it on and it gets peeled off easy
Posts: 94 | From: Boise, Idaho, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saladin,
I would have thought that the marking are mandatory since the cairo area taxis are black and white (and have been so for a while), while the alexandrian taxis are black and orangish in colour.

quote:
Originally posted by Saladin:
Actually they do have markings but its not mandatory. The government gave everyone, especially taxis and minibuses huge incentive to switch to natural gas. You can see cars with a little sticker with a picture of a green flame and a little inscrption in arabic saying it runs on natural gas. But not everyone puts it on and it gets peeled off easy

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!
Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
I had a hard time not laughing at your post and them I realised you have never been to Cairo.

No chance, it just doesn't work like that here.

Jane, Did you see Saladin's answer? It is true. Next time you come to the big city, we'll point out the NGV gas stations and some of the taxis, and buses. Yes, buses too. USAID, as part of the CAIP (Cairo Air Improvement Project) gave Egypt many new buses that are NGV powered, among other facilities, that they may or may not use.

It definately requires pointing out though, as it isn't something you'd notice probably without help.

(I'll see if I can point it out to Moll before she comes back.)

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 11 July 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie
Do you think it is going to make a real difference?.
I would love to spend more time in Cairo, even live there one day but at the moment I just can't cope with the air.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Jane, Did you see Saladin's answer? It is true. Next time you come to the big city, we'll point out the NGV gas stations and some of the taxis, and buses. Yes, buses too. USAID, as part of the CAIP (Cairo Air Improvement Project) gave Egypt many new buses that are NGV powered, among other facilities, that they may or may not use.

It definately requires pointing out though, as it isn't something you'd notice probably without help.

(I'll see if I can point it out to Moll before she comes back.)

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 11 July 2004).]

Yes but can you imagine being selective when you were getting one. That was what was making me laugh. All those touts and you say I want a NGV taxi. On top of trying to get the right price, trying to make yourself understood, trying to suss in the driver is going to con you and in the middle of a Cairo street. Then you want a NGV feel mish mish lol

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a hard enough time trying to select a taxi that's not held together with scotch tape and has an interior i can sit in without getting dirty.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the percentage of times taxis stop at NGV gas stations to fill up I would either guess that most of them do actually run on NG or they need to fill up a lot more than the regular taxis. If you wanted to make sure that you only took these taxis, cassia, the best thing might be to find your nearest NGV gas station and use it as your taxi rank!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Why would any taxi driver NOT want to take advantage of this?
And given the air pollution in Cairo, why would I want to NOT want to reward taxi drivers who do?

Isn't this an aspect of responsible tourism?

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by cassia:
Why would any taxi driver NOT want to take advantage of this?
And given the air pollution in Cairo, why would I want to NOT want to reward taxi drivers who do?

Isn't this an aspect of responsible tourism?

read ExptinCAI post, there is so much competition and they don't have the time to be responsible ecologically, to busy trying to feed the family

like my first post said you obviously haven't been here. Imagine NY taxi drivers, then put them in Bombay, multiply by 10, cut prices by a third and have them speaking martian. that is 1/100 of what is like in Cairo.

------------------

cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Jane, I do understand.

Its a bit of the carrot leading the donkey, or using honey rather than vinegar. But as a tourist, doing nothing is tantamount to letting the tail wag the dog, as it were.

I would *reward* those drivers who have taken advantage of the government programs with my money. Absolutely!

If driving a low pollution emission vehicle is attractive financially for the drivers, where's the harm? If all tourists began preferring them, what would the outcome be?

In the long run, the drivers' children might breathe a little freer, and might develop asthma a little later? A few less medical bills - one or two less premature deaths? The pharonic monuments might dissolve a little slower with a little less acidity - helping to ensure that the tourist sites continue generate income for future generations?

The driver doesn't have to understand any of this ... if it could be as simple as having the better vehicle assuring better income.

This is a failure on the part of the tourists. When I take my Arabic immersion classes in Cairo, you can bet these phrases will be amongst the first I cover!

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one would love to see you in Cairo and trying ot hail taxis asking them if they are environmentally friendly. Those guys are going to laugh so hard that tears will come out of their eyes.

What is this thing with tourism and taxis? If you look around at any given time in Cairo, you don't see many tourists in taxis. It's Cairenese who use taxis. Tourists get on the mini-buses provided by their packaged tour and only occassionally take a taxi. When they do, it's usually the ones close to the hotel who speak english --those are usually selected by the concierge of the hotel who gets a cut of the profits - in return the taxis are of a certain standard (ie no huge rust holes, bumper held together by wire, and interior with upholstery whose original color you cannot even begin to guess) and of course, they charge you anywhere btw 2-5x as much as a taxi you catch on the street by yourself.

Emissions from a taxi is a tiny grain of sand among the problems. Have you been here in the fall? They burn the rice fields every fall for weeks to the point where you CANNOT walk outside your house without your throat swelling and burning, and your eyes watering. This has gone on for a few years now and it's still being talked about and "discussed." Meanwhile, in what is usually the loveliest time to be outdoors, for about 6 weeks out of the year people avoid sitting outside. Can you see a bigger picture and understand why ordinary people don't really care too much about low pollution emission taxis? There's bigger health hazards and contributors to pollution to deal with first.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com