EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Is US$900 a month enough to live in cairo (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is US$900 a month enough to live in cairo
homelessagain
Member # 4880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homelessagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends, I am presently hoping to relocate to Cairo and have found myself with a 900 dollar a month pension for life. Would it be enough for a comfortable life in cairo? My expectations are not real high and am pretty good at the simple life. Let me know.
Posts: 7 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ye Gods, you will be rich !!
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL LL, I was thinking the same thing. From my visit there & everything I've heard, yes, you will live among the more well-off Cairenes with that income.
Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkhnAton*   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
900 USD r something about 5500 LE.
A very good sallery in egypt is 2500 LE, that means that 900 USD will be enoughe. U can get a nice flat with forenatures with 1000 LE a month. Ur not egyptian, cause of this they charge u more then from the egyptians. But as i told u, for 1000 u can get something good. And the life is not expensive like in europe or USA. So 900 USD is a very good money.
I wish u the best.

Akhnaton

------------------
White water, white sky.
If we can swim, we can fly.

Posts: 44 | From: Cairo & Stuttgart | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homelessagain
Member # 4880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homelessagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now really, would I be rich...I do know taht the salaries are low there but keep in mind I will be getting charge more for being American. Also, anyone know how easy it is to stay in the country in regards to visas. Thanks for the info.
Posts: 7 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you will be rich. When I visited as a *tourist*, an AMERICAN tourist no less, I found the prices to be incredibly low. I could have a fabulous meal at an upscale restaurant for less than US$10 (add $2 for the Stella though ).
Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visas are no probmem. Get a one year visa when your present one runs out (any passport office will do it) and then get a re-entry visa if you want to come in and out of the country.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I earn 1000$ per month and it is enough.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkhnAton*   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by homelessagain:
Now really, would I be rich...I do know taht the salaries are low there but keep in mind I will be getting charge more for being American.

Hello,
yes but only the first time till the people know u and till u have some friends who help u. U have just to take care about the rent and the contract. Make one for 3 month. Than u have the chance to look for something else cause maybe u discover that u would like to live in another place.

Im sure some of this board can help u in this. If u need help, i also can help u of course, cause i know how hard the beginning of something like this is.

Its normaly wrong to say something about a nation in general, but take care. All egyptians seams to be friendly and nice, but many people think alot about money, so dont trust anybody in the beginning. When u ask somebody for help they will always tell u "mefish mushkela" (no problem). But often u dont get really what u wanted.

So, take care,
God bless you.

Aknaton

Posts: 44 | From: Cairo & Stuttgart | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Good advice Akhnaton. Stay alert.
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$900 a month to live in Egypt!!??? Marry me!!!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
$900 a month to live in Egypt!!??? Marry me!!!!!

Hey Homeless, MABROUK!
I guess ur moving to egypt starts good and you are more than welcome ;-)
All you need now is something about 10 000 USD for gold and marriage.
I would prefere Nile-Hilton for the party. I hope we will be all invited.

(just kidding)

Akhnaton

[This message has been edited by AkhnAton* (edited 27 July 2004).]

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey people, that's not very good advice. I don't know about Luxor but in Cairo he would not be rich. He may be okay, but it depends on:
1-Where you will rent, and will your landlord charge in dollars or LE? Some people in Maadi charge incredible sums from foreigners (you are a foreigner aren't you?), they know you are paid by the dollar and they will charge accordingly.
2-Utilities, especially electricity, especially if you leave the AC on all the time, especially if you have one of those 3 phase connections.
3-Will you be eating out all the time in fancy restaurants? Will you be buying a lot of imported stuff and spirits and **** ?
4-Do you have kids, will you be sending them to the CAC? Will you be paying for it?

If you calculate well you will be able to live comfortably. If you feel you are "rich" you will probably find out the hard way that you can't be rich enough in this country.

But hey, you said you are a simple person. On $1000 you will do better than "simple" for sure.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeagain
Member # 4900

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello homelessagain, I'm homeagain :0), thank heavens for that. I lived in Cairo as an expat, and I can assure you that these people are exaggerating about you being rich. Maybe they have only lived as a tourist or have never lived in the states.

In comparison to an average Egyptian, you may be viewed as rich, but in comparison to an average american, $900/month is simplistic to say the least.

If you are a typical American, like myself, you may be already spoiled by American conveniences, like a dishwasher, washer and dryer, telephone, fax machine, DLS connection, modern appliances, and modern bathroom accomodations. These things are modern conveniences enjoyed by almost every American household that we take for granted when living in less developed countries. So of course, along with all other American expats I lived in Maadi-Sarayat to continue enjoying the amenities we take for granted. In all honesty, $900 would barely get you a 1 bedroom in Maadi. My family lived in a modern 3 bedroom flat and our rent was $2500 U.S. dollars, not Egyptian LE. Now mind you, I worked for the embassy and my salary was $5000 U.S. dollars a month,which included my housing allowance. So I'm left with $2500 a month after allowing for the same accomodation I would have at home. And yes, you're right, you will pay more for things being an American because they (native egyptians) automatically assume we can afford it. To get an American Curriculum cost us $6,000 a year for our son at CAU. We paid 3 times more for taxi's, more for gym memberships, Our cell phone was higher because we made more international calls. We paid more for groceries because we wanted more imported foods. We even found out it was less expensive to eat out every day, but could add up. I'm one of those that didnt have patience to bargain, and typically paid whatever price I was quoted (as long as I knew it would have been a 'reasonable' American price for the same good or service)We're social drinkers, and yes alcholic beverage was very costly.
So in the end, to live like I was accustomed to living in the US was quite a price to pay, and we didn't fair any better had we stayed in the states, I know we could have purchased a home for $2500/month, but that's the price we pay for our spoiled 'imported' lifestyle.

In the states we're middle class and were not about to lower our standards. But if you have a more simplistic livelihood, and don't mind living in less patriotic surroundings then you should do fine. Remember the government was sponsoring us, but you will be completely on your own. So be wise with your money, and down-play your Americanness as much as possible, those people think we're loaded.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
If you want the American lifestyle then why come to Egypt? Stay in America. Egypt is Egypt. It's not 'lowering standards' - it's accepting a different lifestyle. Who the hell needs all those trimmings.

I thought that Homelessagain was on a pension. Retiring to Egypt is wonderful experience. If Cairo proves too expensive - move to Luxor. There are no American goodies for you to buy, but there are wonderful Egyptian foods in the souk and accommodation is cheap. And, best of all you get to live next door to Egyptians !!

You can eat out for a pittance - even in Cairo you can get a meal of cooked chicken or fish for 10 LE - taxis cost little and life is good.

However, if you want to live like the Rockerfellers then you need an income to match. It's the same the whole world over.

homeagain
Member # 4900

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello luxorlover, I didnt mean to sound as if I'm offending your country. Personally I never went to Luxor, but I did hear it was nice. I am an American civil service worker for U.S. embassies worldwide, I travel to a new country on a different assignment every 3 years. Some countries live up to American standards, some don't. Our government provides Billions of dollars in aid to Egypt, and expect it's support staff to be able to live comfortably while providing a service. Do you know that if countries didn't have embassies, our citizens would not even be protected as tourists? My job is to protect American citizens interests all over the world that they visit. You also have several Egyptian consulates in the US, and your government would expect the same treatment if you were here as a diplomat. Do not take it too personally, if Americans had to lower their standard of living it would be difficult to get them to accept overseas assignments. And these positions can only be filled by Americans, not the natives of the country. I'm back in America for a few years, and my next assignment will be in South America, Brazil, I would expect the same lifestyle when I'm assigned there to protect American citizens, that's my job. I am not there as a tourist. Maybe Homelessagain will not have the same expectations since his choice to go on his own, not on assignment. But keep in mind that if it were not for people in the embassy, there would be no foreigners visiting Egypt. We have a job assignment to complete, not there just for adventure.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have to agree with this. Come on, LL, homeagain just showed his/her persepctive on things. Actually if it is not helpful to homelessagain, it does give a perspecitve on what to expect if you do expect no change in your lifestyle, i.e. the American lifestyle specifically. So it is useful for other people. In fact I did appreciate reading it.

LL, when you said you will be rich on $900/month, you did not specify what you can afford in terms of a basket of goods, while homeagain did. Bbeing rich or poor on $900 is relative, don't you think based on one's standards, as long as $900 is enough to meet min needs in Cairo. That was the cenral question first. Is $900 enough for basic needs? This is really the first most important question: what can you afford with this kind of money?

Oftentimes when people say you can live like a king with the same amount of money you make in a less developed country, it is deceiving. I think Homeagain illustrated that. As an example, some may think that just because an average person may make $300-500 a month in Russia (for instance), that somehow purchasing parity theory will hold. Guess what? It does not! In Moscow it costs you thousands of dollars to buy one square meter to own! here you go, it is actually even cheaper to buy a condo in downtown Chicago! Food is just as expensive as in USA, and clothes are even more so. So here, $300-500/month means poverty and purcahsing power parity theory is a bunch of bull in this case.

Also, both of you are right: it all depends on objective of being in Cairo. While people have ability to adopt, it is absolutely true to make somebody accept an overseas assignment, they do not expect to change their lifestyle, quite on the contrary to gain in terms of a lifestyle. However, if your retirement goals is to enjoy quiet lifestyle, it may be well sufficient to live on $900/month.

Also, come on, Luxorlover, what homeagain described is by far not a "Rockefeller" lifestyle $5000/month is $60K a year! This is not even a pocket change for Rockefeller types!

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 28 July 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
What Katrina said.

LL, I was kind of surprised at the harshness of your reply. I wonder if it wasn't perhaps just some anti-American bias talking??

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LL, I don't see any problem with homeagain's first post.

HOWEVER, HOMEAGAIN, don't you think your second post is a bit provocative and patronising? Especially when you find out that LL is British! I don't know where you got the idea we (and I AM Egyptian) didn't appreciate the work you do in the embassy? And where did you get the idea that we didn't believe embassy workers should live as comfortably as they could possibly afford? I actually respect the fact that you didn't mind spending money so that you and your family could live comfortably. I just think your seond reply could have been a bit less condescending (especially in light of LL not being Egyptian).

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo, Homeagain and anyone else that shed light on the possibilities that $900 might not go as far as you need it to go are right. I am just an average JO American citizen trying to live in Cairo for the rest of my life. I don't have luxury Embassy style accomodations, and I don't (and won't) live in Maadi. I have a comfortable flat in Heliopolis, but it is not luxurious by any stretch...it's home. I'm sure that is probably what Homelessagain is hoping to find, but even with that, it isn't cheap. My rent contract is written in LE, which is helpful, but every year it goes up 5%, which isn't helpful (although to be truthful, with the exchange of USD/LE, I guess it actually is less expensive than when I first moved in 4 yrs ago).
Anyway, long story short, I try to live frugally as possible, I use the Metro and trams for transportation as much as I can instead of taxis and I probably will never own a car here, but I probably eat out or via OTLOB.COM at least 3 or 4 times a week. While it is cheaper to do that here than it would back home, it still adds up. I try to limit myself to $1000 a month and I tend to run a bit short usually. Electric bills, phone bills, etc sneak up on you and take a big bite out of that budget when you least expect it.
Granted, if you want to live on foul and tamayia all the time, yes, you can eat and live pretty inexpensively in Egypt, and it is my choice for a retirement home, but you may have to change some of your expectations for the way you will live if you want to be comfortable on that $900/mo. If you have some savings or can invest some of it to add a bit to the pot, you should be able to do ok.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I am sorry for if I sounded harsh but I have never in my life earned that kind of money and very few people that I know ever have. I never had that level on income even in England which is one of the most expensive countries in Europe to live in. It not only highlights the gap between Egyptian and American levels of income it also highlights the difference between British and American ones.

I have lived in Egypt on the same level of pension of Homlessagain for the last six years and I have never ever been short of money - but I don't smoke and I don't drink so that might make a difference. During much of the time I kept my partner's family on that too and managed to pay for my flights backwards and forwards.

Embassy officials have a different lifestyle than most others - in London they live in the posh areas where I can only gawp. Had I known that Homeagain was an embassy employee I would not have bothered to comment at all as I could not afford that kind of lifestyle anywhere. It was not meant to sound anti-American, it was anti demanding a western level of everything in a developing country.

Homelessagain can make a good life in Egypt on the money she has coming in each month. Please do not let this put you off. It is not going to be a grand lifestyle but compared with what most Egytpians earn - you will be rich - and yes that is a comparative term. If you have been used to living in style - then it will not support it - but I doubt that actually ever expected it to - otherwise why come to Egypt. I did not want you to be put off living here by thinking that you could not afford it - when you can.

Egypt has so much to offer. If Cairo is so expensive, (and I am still not convinced that it is) then if you do not have to live there, come and live in Luxor.

My outgoings:-

Rent 6 bed flat 1,500
Elec with 2 air con 100
Gas and water 10
Taxis usually walk
or get a service car 100
Eating out once a day 600
Basic food stuff chicken veg etc 600

Total LE 2,910
per month

That will leave you more than enough to follow any other persuits that you want to. Most of the expats in Luxor live on less than £400 per month and are perfectly happy.

To consider that someone would be starving on that level of income (900 $) is almost immoral. The headmaster of my local school (big one) earns 240 LE per month. That puts it in context.

If I offended anyone I am sorry.

PS: Homelessagain: A thick piece of pepper steak with all the trimmings at Maximes (the best restaurant in Luxor) costs around 25 LE - so it would not be a case of living on foul and tamia every day. My last telephone bill, including the internet charge, was 165 LE for four months use. If I sent all my clothes to the laundry every day instead of washing and ironing them myself it would add about 150 LE to my bills.

Kat: you have never lived in Egypt - you live in America.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 28 July 2004).]

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Homeagain - it's nice to know that the Americans are protecting me from all those Egyptians Joke - honest.
homeagain
Member # 4900

Rate Member
Luxorlover after reading all the statements, I kind of agree with Carleen that your tone is somewhat anti-american. After learning from the maniac that you are not even Egyptian, it's interesting to know that the US has provided 45 Billion dollars in AID to Egypt in the past 26 years, this is far more than British has provided. When the cruise ship was bombed in middle Egypt, this put a damper on the tourist income the country was used to receiving, there were not just Americans on that cruise ship, yet the U.S. provided Aid to lighten the burden of lower tourist dollars.

Furthermore American embassies are designed to protect the interests of American taxpayers, who do you think are funding those billions? These are bilateral agreements that strengthen relations in both countries and both countries benefit.

We are not there to protect one nation "from" the other, if that's what you are implying. Are the many Egyptian embassies in the U.S. here to protect Egyptians from Americans? I think you know better.

I'm sorry that you didn't have the opportunity to earn my salary in your lifetime, but that does not mean that I should apologize for how I earn a living. Actually I don't earn $60,000 a year when living in the states. I pointed out that $2500 was a housing allowance, if the cost to have the same accomodations that I enjoy in America had only cost $500 a month, then that's all my housing allowance would have been. I'm just trying pointing out that one of the incenives of attracting civil service workers abroad is to ensure the same accomodations that would be provided in the states at whatever costs. As Katrina pointed out, it's all comparative. Which is why my housing allowance fluctuates depending on the American comparative accomodations in foreign lands. I don't even receive a $2500 housing allowance in the Washington D.C. area, because the cost of a 3 bedroom apartment here is only $1500/month. If I was working in my hometown of Charlotte, NC, the allowance would only be $900 month, as that is the cost of living in a modern 3 bedroom home there. Do you understand what I am expressing to you? It is not the amount of money per se, but rather the assuarance of all the modern conveniences we would have in the states. If for example, your country sent you to a country where everyone lives in straw homes, does it mean that you have to live in a straw home to complete your assignment? Would you accept the assignment if you would be lowering your living standards? I doubt it, this is a job assignment, not a back-packing adventure. Again if it only cost $300/month to live the same way I would live in the states, then that's what my housing allowance would have been, I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Homelessagain, if you have no problem adopting a simplistic form of living, then you will be fine off $900 a month, and that would also depend on your family size, or if you have school aged children that you want to receive an American curriculum. As no certified American school teacher would go to work in Egypt for the same salary the Egyptian teachers are paid. It is a developing country, is that the Americans fault? No. Is our government assisting them in their development for the benefit of both countries? Yes. Should foreign teachers apologize for their salaries? No. Should Egyptians blame Americans for their salaries? NO.

A lot of people are anti-American these days, but Americas is not responsible for all the woes of the world. Sometimes you must look at your own government. Yes we give them billions in aid, should they decide to spend the greater portion on their military rather than education is not greatly influenced by us.

Also while we were living in Egypt we lived side by side with a lot of Natives enjoying the same modern lifestyle. There is huge income divide amongst the middle class and working class, and that is not our fault either.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by homeagain:
Luxorlover after reading all the statements, I kind of agree with Carleen that your tone is somewhat anti-american. After learning from the maniac that you are not even Egyptian, it's interesting to know that the US has provided 45 Billion dollars in AID to Egypt in the past 26 years, this is far more than British has provided. When the cruise ship was bombed in middle Egypt, this put a damper on the tourist income the country was used to receiving, there were not just Americans on that cruise ship, yet the U.S. provided Aid to lighten the burden of lower tourist dollars.

Furthermore American embassies are designed to protect the interests of American taxpayers, who do you think are funding those billions? These are bilateral agreements that strengthen relations in both countries and both countries benefit.

We are not there to protect one nation "from" the other, if that's what you are implying. Are the many Egyptian embassies in the U.S. here to protect Egyptians from Americans? I think you know better.

I'm sorry that you didn't have the opportunity to earn my salary in your lifetime, but that does not mean that I should apologize for how I earn a living. Actually I don't earn $60,000 a year when living in the states. I pointed out that $2500 was a housing allowance, if the cost to have the same accomodations that I enjoy in America had only cost $500 a month, then that's all my housing allowance would have been. I'm just trying pointing out that one of the incenives of attracting civil service workers abroad is to ensure the same accomodations that would be provided in the states at whatever costs. As Katrina pointed out, it's all comparative. Which is why my housing allowance fluctuates depending on the American comparative accomodations in foreign lands. I don't even receive a $2500 housing allowance in the Washington D.C. area, because the cost of a 3 bedroom apartment here is only $1500/month. If I was working in my hometown of Charlotte, NC, the allowance would only be $900 month, as that is the cost of living in a modern 3 bedroom home there. Do you understand what I am expressing to you? It is not the amount of money per se, but rather the assuarance of all the modern conveniences we would have in the states. If for example, your country sent you to a country where everyone lives in straw homes, does it mean that you have to live in a straw home to complete your assignment? Would you accept the assignment if you would be lowering your living standards? I doubt it, this is a job assignment, not a back-packing adventure. Again if it only cost $300/month to live the same way I would live in the states, then that's what my housing allowance would have been, I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Homelessagain, if you have no problem adopting a simplistic form of living, then you will be fine off $900 a month, and that would also depend on your family size, or if you have school aged children that you want to receive an American curriculum. As no certified American school teacher would go to work in Egypt for the same salary the Egyptian teachers are paid. It is a developing country, is that the Americans fault? No. Is our government assisting them in their development for the benefit of both countries? Yes. Should foreign teachers apologize for their salaries? No. Should Egyptians blame Americans for their salaries? NO.

A lot of people are anti-American these days, but Americas is not responsible for all the woes of the world. Sometimes you must look at your own government. Yes we give them billions in aid, should they decide to spend the greater portion on their military rather than education is not greatly influenced by us.

Also while we were living in Egypt we lived side by side with a lot of Natives enjoying the same modern lifestyle. There is huge income divide amongst the middle class and working class, and that is not our fault either.

You know what's really interesting, it's how defensive Americans are these days. I never heard anyone in Egypt complain about how much a CAC teacher makes (most people here don't even know what the CAC is!!) Let alone any Egyptian on this thread saying anything that may be in any event be misconstrued as "anti-American."

And you know what else is interesting, it's how 95% of the time whenever an American posts on this board they absolutely HAVE to mention USAID. You know we are gratefull and all, granted of course you give more aid to Israel, infinitely more if you measure it per capita. But we are gratefull nevertheless, you don't have to pay us this aid and you still do. But pause for a minute and think:
-USAID is not as essential or far reaching as you think it is. A bit under $1bil is not that huge a sum of money. It does affect confidence level in the economy, but it does very little physically.
-Let's not forget that the US also benefits from Egypt. You have an ally in a region that totally hates your guts. You are paying us this for a reason.
-Aid DOES come with strings attached. The US DOES tell Egypt where to spend it, in fact it supervises every step insuring that any raw materials, expertise, and machinery are bought from US firms, and limiting military quality and quantity to guarantee Israeli superiority.

Despite all this, we appreciate USAID, we just don't appreciate people using it as a point in arguments this way. Where the hell does USAID fit in with homeless's original question or even with LL's post????

Lighten up pal.

karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

In some points I agree with Kimo. America doesn't give the Aid for free, it takes a return for it, and usually not all the money is spend for Egypt or Egyptians, as you have Americans workers, have to deal with American companies....etc, so a lot of the money it returns back to US, still we thank them but it doesn't mean that without the aid Egypt will die.

As for $900 it all depends on how you live, and you don't have to worry will do ok.

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Homeagain: I did not expect a sermon on Development Aid. I thought this line was a about whether Homelessagain could live in Egypt on a 900$ per month pension. I say YES - you say ..... I'm not sure what you say. By the way did all of that Aid come out your pocket

I apologised if I offended you - you have obviously decided not to accept it. I even cracked a joke with you. Wasted.

If you want to go on in that line. Britain could fit into a small corner of Texas but was stupid enough to follow the USA into a ridiculous war. 2,000,000 people walked through London to oppose it. There are only around 55,000,000 people in the entire country. They were ignored.

When I came to Egypt I lived for four years in a small village. I was there because I wanted to be there, not because I was sent there. My home had dirt floors and no internal plumbing to start off with. AND I LOVED IT.

You obviously have no love for this country at all. It was just a job with a high standard of living. Good for you. I am not jealous of you or your salary. I would not change places with you for anything.

Unless you are as uptight as Homeagain - you can have a good life here.

PS: Who/what are Natives ???????? That is usually a derogatory term.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 28 July 2004).]

AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
Hello,
i also agree with kimos post.
Why do americans always think that somebody who says something kritikal about america is an anti-american???

Listen homeagain, you salery is not much higher then mines, but i dont like people when they have to show that they have money. Of course the egyptians charge u in everything more, cause u let them feel that u r something better and that u have the money. Look, im dressed normaly and i found a good way to communicate with the people and they dont charge more from me. But we are not talking about you or me.

2 Things about america:
1. America is ONLY giving when they can take more than the double from another side. So there is nothing what they give for free, cause they wanna help the world. So its nothing you should be proud on it.

2. America dont has to be afraid from other countries, nobody would attac america but on the other side i wanna show u this here:

SOME of the american-wars from 1946 since 1999 (written in german)

· Kalter Krieg: weltweit, 28 Februar 1946 bis 25. Dezember 1991

· Korea-Krieg: 27. Juni 1950 bis 27. Juli 1953

· Suez-Krise: Ägypten, 26. Juli 1956 bis 15. November 1956

· Operation "Blue Bat": Libanon, 15. Juli 1958 bis 20. Oktober 1958

· Talwan-Straße: 23. August 1958 bis Juni 1963

· Kongo: 14. Juli 1960 bis 1. September 1962

· Laos: 19. April 1961 bis 7. Oktober 1962

· Berlin: 14. August 1961 bis 1. Juni 1963 Operation "Tailwind": Laos, 1970

· Operation "Ivory Coast/Kingoln": Nord-Vietnam, 21. November 1970

· Operation "Endsweep": Nord-Vietnam, 27. Januar 1972 bis 27. Juli 1973

· Operation "Linebacker I": Nord-Vietnam, 10. Mai 1972 bis 23. Oktober 1972

· Operation "Linebacker II": Nord-Vietnam, 18. Dezember 1972 bis 29. Dezember 1972

· Operation "Pocket Money": Nord-Vietnam, 9. Mai 1972 bis 23. Oktober 1972

· Operation "Freedom Train": Nord-Vietnam, 6. April 1972 bis 10. Mai 1972

· Operation "Are Light": Südostasien, .18. Juni 1965 bis April 1970

· Operation "Rolling Thunder".- Süd-Vietnam, 24. Februar 1965 bis Oktober 1968

· Operation "Ranch Hand": Süd-Vietnam, Januar 1962 bis 1971

· Vietnam-Krieg: Vietnam, 15. März 1962 bis 28. Januar 1973

· Kuba-Krise: weltweit, 24. Oktober 1962 bis 1. Juni 1963

· Operation "Powerpack": Dominikanische Republik, 28. April 1965 bis 21. September 1966

· Sechs-Tage-Krieg: Mittlerer Osten, 13.Mai 1967 bis 10. Juni 1967

· Operation "Nickel Grass": Mittler Osten, 6. Oktober 1973 bis 17. November 1973

· Operation "Eagle Pull": Kambodscha, 11, April 1975 bis 13. April 1975

· Operation "Frequent Wind". Evakuierung in Saigon, 29. April 1975 bis 30. April 1975

· Operation "Mayaguez": Kambodscha, 15. Mai 1975

· Operation "Eagle Claw/Desert One": Iran, 25. April 1980

· EI Salvador, Nicaragua: 1. Januar 1981, 1. Februar 1992

· Golf von Sidra: Libyen, 18. August 1981

· US Multinational Foree: Libanon, 25. August 1982 bis 1.Dezember 1987

· Operation "Urgent Fury": Grenada, 23. Oktober 1983 bis 21. November 1983

· Operation "Attain Document": Libyen, 26. Januar 1986 bis 29. März 1986

· Operation "EI Dorado Canyon": Libyen, 12. April 1986 bis 17. April 1986

· Operation "Blast Furnace": Bolivien, Juli 1986 bis November 1986

· Operation "Praying Mantis": Persischer Golf, 17. April 1988 bis 19. April 1988

· Operation "Ernest WillI"- Persischer Golf, 24. Juli 1987 bis 2. August 1990

· Operation "Promote Liberty": Panama, 31. Januar 1990

· Operation "Just Cause": Panama, 20. Dezember 1989 bis 31. Januar 1990

· Operation "Nimrod Dancer": Panama, Mai 1989 bis 20. Dezember 1989

· Operation "Ghost Zone": Bolivien, März 1990 bis, 1993

· Operation "Sharp Edge": Liberia, Mai 1990 bis 8. Januar 1991

· Operation "Desert Farewell"- Südwest-Asien, 1. Jan 1992 bis 1992

· Operation "Desert Calm"-. Südwest-Asien, 1. März 1991 bis 1. Januar 1992

· Operationen "Desert Sword"/"Desert Sabre": Südwest-Asia, 24. Februar 1991 bis 28. Februar 1991

· Operation "Desert Storm": Irak, 17. Januar 1991 bis 28. Februar 1991

· Operation "Imminent Thunder": November 1990,

· Operation "Desert Shield": 2. August 1990 bis 17. Januar 1991

· Operation. "Eastern Exit": Somalia, 2. Januar 1991 bis 11. Januar 1991

· Operation "Produetiv Effort/Sea Angel": Bangladesh, Mai 1991 bis Juni 1991

· Operation "Fiery Vigil": Philippinien, Juni 1991

· Operation "Victor Squared": Haiti, September 1991

· Operation "Quick Lift"-. Zaire, 24. September 1991 bis 7. Oktober 1991

· Operation "Silver Anvil": Sierra Leone, 2. Mai 1992 bis 5. Mai 1992

· Operation "Distant Runner".- Rwanda, 9. April 1994 bis 15. April 1994

· Operationen "Quiet Resolve"/"Support Hope": Rwanda, 22. Juli 1994 bis 30. September 1994

· Operation "Uphold/Restore Demoeraey": Haiti, 19. September 1994 bis 31. März 1995

· Operation "United Shield": Somalia, 22. Januar 1995 bis 25. März 1995

· Operation "Assured Response": Liberia, April 1996 bis August 1996

· Operation "Quick Response": Zentralafrikanische Republik, Mai 1996 bis August 1996

· Operation "Guardian Assistance": Zaire/Rwanda/Uganda, 15. November 1996 bis 27. Dezember 1996

· Operation "Pacirie Haven/Quick Transit": Irak - Guam, 15. September 1996 bis 16. Dezember 1996

· Operation "Guardian Retrieval": Kongo, März 1997 bis Juni 1997

· Operation "Noble Obelisk": Sierra Leone, Mai 1997 bis Juni 1997

· Operation "Bevel Edge".- Kambodscha, Juli 1997

· Operation "Noble Response": Kenia, 21. Januar 1998 bis 25. März 1998

· Operation "Shepherd Venture": Guinea Bissau, 10. Juni 1998 bis 17. Juni 1998

· Operation "Inrinite Reach": Sudan/Afghanistan, 20. August 1998

· Operation "Provide Hope I-V": GUS, 10, Februar 1992 bis 10. Mai 1999

· Operation "Golden Plieasant": Honduras, ab März 1988

· Operation "Safe Border": Peru/Ecuador, ab 1995

· Operation "Resolute Response": Afrika, ab, August 1998

· Operation "Laser Strike": Südafrika, ab April 1996

· Operation "Steady State"- Südamerika, 1994 bis April 1996

· Operation "Support Justice": Südamerika, 1991 bis 1994

· Operation "Wipeout": Hawaii, ab 1990

· Operation "Coronet Oak": Zentrales und Südamerika, Oktober 1977 bis 17. Februar 1999

· Operation "Coronet Nighthawk": Zentrales und Südamerika, ab 1991

· Operation "Desert Faleon": Saudi Arabien, ab 1991

· Operation "Southern Watch": Irak, ab 1991

· Operation "Northern Watch": Kurdistan, ab 31. Dezember 1996

· Operation "Provide Comfort": Kurdistan, 5. April 1991 bis Dezember 1994

· Operation "Provide Comfort 11": Kurdistan, 24. Juli 1991 bis 31. Dezember 1996

· Operation "Vigilant Sentinel": Kuwait, ab August 1995

· Operation "Vigilant Warrior": Kuwait, Oktober 1994 bis November 1994

· Operation "Desert Focus": Saudi Arabien, ab Juli 1996

· Operation "Phoenix Scorpion I": Irak, November 1997

· Operation "Phoenix Scorplon II": Irak, Februar 1998

· Operation "Phoenix Scorpion III": Irak,November 1998

· Operation "Phoenix Scorpion IV": Irak, Dezember 1998

· Operation "Desert Strike": Irak, 3. September 1996;

· Cruise missile Angriffe: Irak, 26. Juni 1993 17. Januar 1993,

· Bombardements: Irak, 13 Januar 1993,

· Operation "Desert Fox": Irak, 16. Dezember 1998 bis 20. Dezember 1998

· Operation "Provide Promise": Bosnien, 3. Juli 1992 bis März 1996

· Operation "Determined Guard": Adria, ab Dezember 1996

· Operation "Decisive Enhancernent": Adria, Dezember 1995 bis 19. Juni 1996

· Operation "Sharp Guard": Adria, 15. Juni 1993 bis Dezember 1995

· Operation "Maritime Guard": Adria, 22. November 1992 bis 15. Juni 1993

· Operation "Maritime Monitor": Adria, 16. Juli 1992 bis 22. November 1992

· Operation "Sky Monitor": Bosnien-Herzegowina, ab 16. Oktober 1992

· Operation "Deliberate Forke": Bosnien-Herzegowina, ab 20. Juni 1998

· Operation "Decisive Endeavor/Deeisive Edge": Bosnien-Herzogowina, Januar 1996 bis Dezember 1996

· Operation "Deny Flight".- Bosnien, 12. April 1993 bis 20. Dezember 1995

· Operation "Able Sentry": Serbien- Mazedonien, ab 5. Juli 1994

· Operation "Nomad Endeavor": Taszar, Ungarn, ab März 1996

· Operation "Nomad Vigil": Albanien, 1. Juli 1995 bis 5. November 1996

· Operation "Quick Lift": Kroatien, Juli 1995 Operation "Deliberate Force": Republika Srpska, 29.8.1995 bis 21.9 1995

· Operation "Joint Forge": ab 20. Juni 1998

· Operation "Joint Guard": Bosnien- Herzegowina, 20. Juni 1998

· Operation "Joint Endeavor".- Bosnien- Herzegowina, Dezember 1995 bis Dezember 1996

· Operation "Determined Effort": Bosnien, Juli 1995 bis Dezember 1995

· Operation "Determined Faleon": Kosovo/Albanien, 15. Juni 1998 bis 16. Juni 1998

· Operation "Eagle Eye": Kosovo, 16. Oktober 1998 bis 24. März 1999

· Operation "Sustain Hope/Allied Harbour": Kosovo, ab 5. April 1999

· Operation "Shining Hope": Kosovo, ab 5. April 1999

· Operation "Cobalt Flash": Kosovo, ab 23. März 1999

· Operation "Determined Force": Kosovo, 8. Oktober 1998 bis 23. März 1999

· Anschließend Krieg gegen Jugoslawien."
-----------

I know that americans feel attacced from this posting now, but really, im not anti-american. The dates are the truth and millions of people died. Children, Fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters. For what? For peace?

Im dont writing this to make propaganda against america cause normaly the people that living in a country dont make the decission. But they are proud of their country and gouvernement...

America is not better than any other country. They just have a better live-standard cause the gouvernement plays "world-police"

Im sorry when this is off topic now, but the arrogants of some people here is making me abit angry.

homeagain
Member # 4900

Rate Member
hello Kimothemaniac, my reponse was directed at Luxorlover and thanks to you I learned that he was not an Egyptian. I originally responded to a fellow American asking specifically for advice on living in Cairo, I thought it would give him some realisitic advice in comparison to living in America, you or Luxorlover may find this difficult to comprehend if neither of you have ever lived in America. I wanted him to be aware of the things we take for granted in America and to be prepared for them when living abroad, simple as that.

Then suddenly Luxorlover makes a few statements that some Americans may feel are anti-american, or rather anti-capitalist, for example;

"If you want the American lifestyle then why come to Egypt? Stay in America."

" Who the hell needs all those trimmings."

"There are no American goodies for you to buy,"

", if you want to live like the Rockerfellers then you need an income to match."

The tone of these statements show a tad bit of anti-american lifestyle, what may be considered extravagances for others, are simply modern conveniences for us. Even some of the poorest Americans own washer/dryer, air conditioners, etc.

So yes to appear more humble, my original statement to him was rather patronising. Of course after learning that he is not even Egyptian, put a new twist on things. Especially since Britain has one of the highest cost of livings in the world. I thought to myself, how could a Brit sound so anti-capitilistic, isn't that where it all started (capitalism that is). Britain has never ever had a socialist government, so I was actually taken back a little at how he could trade his western lifestyle for a more simplistic one and then criticize others for not doing the same. It didn't make since. If he moved to Luxor for a simpler life, that's his choice, but don't try to force your crude ideals on others. As for my bringing up the US AID was again directed at him for his statement "thanks for protecting us from the Egyptians" to clarify that our job at the embassy is not to protect the British, but for our own citizens. He claims he was joking, but that's a joke that could have been left unspoken, again having an anti-american tone to it. As if we're trying to police the world against Egyptians. Also the US Aid was brought up to point out to his original statement "Stay in America", yet he's British, we provide more Aid, and have just as much right to travel to Egypt as any Brit does. It was not to boast about what we do, I did state that it in fact benefits both countries (please re-read the statement).

Now why is Israel brought into the discussion? Israel has been an ally of the U.S. longer than any other country in the middle east including Egypt, who once supported the Soviet Union.

Now he wants to turn this into a political argument by bringing up the war. Well Brits were not the only people in the west that opposed the war, in case you have not been following American polls, more than Half of them opposed the war as well, which would equate to 20 times the number Brits, if you want to use the size of Texas in analysis.

And I guess your last crack at calling me "uptight" is meant to engage me in a flame war with you, but I will not respond any further, as you're obviously an unhappy individual with a need to trash the well-off with your socialist idealism. Who knows why you moved to Egypt, you say because you love it, but it could also be that living around people less fortunate than you make you feel like a bigger person than you were in Britain since you specifically stated that compared to an Egyptian you'll be rich. Maybe you need to stand out in a country of less fortunate people, but I decided to live around people that lived like the average American, and not the Rockefellers of America.

Good luck, Homelessagain, with whatever you choose. I will not be responding any further. Just be aware that in America a 92' Toyota can be purchased for $3000, in Egypt it could cost you 3 times as much!! Yes the cost of imported goods in that country is ridiculously high, maybe some day the country will lift the price expensive tarriffs, so that even their average citizens can afford to drive real cars rather than donkey carts.

homeagain
Member # 4900

Rate Member
akhanaton, please start your anti-american agenda somewhere else, myself, nor the average American citizen are in a position to defend wars that occured before most of us were even born, and we don't expect the Germans to defend Hitler, or the British to defend colonialism, or the rest of the world to defend the numerous wars they too were involved in.

Yes we're the most powerful military and economic country in the world. And we're also the most democratic. The soviet Union failed, East German failed, Egyptian Socialist party faile, one day we may also fail, but until then I will not apologize for being an American, nor will I carry all of it's debts on my shoulders. Have a good life.

Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please continue to post, HomeAgain! Sometimes I feel very alone on this board. :-)
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"America is not better than any other country. They just have a better live-standard cause the gouvernement plays "world-police"

[/B][/QUOTE]
You obviously did not study enough about market economy, did you? This is a very narrow-minded conclusion. Why are people in Sweeden or Norway better off than in many countries, and they care less about oil and they do not police the world? Did you think of that before making your conclusion? Maybe you should read Adam Smith

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 28 July 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
You obviously did not study enough about the market economy, did you? This is a very narrow-minded conclusion. Why are people in Sweeden or Norway better off than in many countries, and they care less about oil and they do not police the world? Di you think of that before making your conclusions? Maybe you should read Adam Smith[/B]

Yeah, I didn't quite see the connection there either. Some people find it very hard to discuss the US past those two topics - oil & war. Legitimate topics, mind you, but not related to this thread.

AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
quote:

Yes we're the most powerful military and economic country in the world. And we're also the most democratic.

wake up!

BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes we give them billions in aid, should they decide to spend the greater portion on their military rather than education is not greatly influenced by us.

This brings back to my memory when the Jewish lobby (may2004) was pressuring the American government to limit the military aid to Egypt and convert it to economical aid.

Anyways, the USA got no choice but to give us aid so don’t complain about it. We will have the aid if u likes it or not.

I don’t know why homeagain is accusing us as being anti American, as if it is something bad. That is natural feeling. No we are not anti American because we hate ur democratic system or ur high standard of living but it is ur black history in interfering in everything. I thought that people in the Middle East are the only ones that don’t like America but I was wrong.

We don’t want u to be sorry for being American but we want to you to leave us alone to live in peace. Are we asking for too much?

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bay212
Member # 3424

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bay212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeagain..Paying $2500 rent in Egypt is equal to the pentagon paying their suppliers $800 for toilet seats,or ajapanese tourist getting ripped off in NYC..yours is just another example of US gov. waisting money .nothing to bragg about.As long as the US Gov. is willing to blow the money,there will be plenty of takers,in this case it is the capitalist Egyptian landlords..
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

This will not stop
Erhamona Wa Kifaya Kida

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I feel as though I must respond to Homeagain as it was me that caused the problem here in the first place by not thinking that he was magnificent for paying three times as much in rent as Homeagain was to have in the entire pension.

I am a woman by the way - not a man. You seem to have missed the point Homeagain. Homelessagain can live here on the money he/she has. I am sorry that you could not - end of story.

As for me wanting to be a big fish in a little pond - I ended up having far less prestige here than in England. I never ever earned your salary but I was a univeristy lecturer and proud of it. I live in a big house in England - I love that as much as I love my Egytian home. But I chose to live in Egypt. Strangely I think that there is so much more to life than a dishwasher and a tumbler dryer. My life is richer, not poorer for being in Egypt. I have fewer luxuries but I have so much more of the things that really matter.

The experience of living in an Egyptian village. Now that is something that was truly enlightening. Despite its trials and tribulations . I would not have swapped that for a microwave oven.

America's aid to the developing world - massive like your ego - and there is always a price tag with it. Anti-American. Not particualrly - although I have always had problems over Vietnam - but now you might well have made me more so. There are things in this life that you cannot buy - one day you might realise that.

Am I an unhappy person - I would say No. You Sir cannot comment about it as you do not know me and , I hope that you never will.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 29 July 2004).]

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Homelessagain - you are also American. Did my advice to you or my willingness to pass on information on how you can live in Egypt sound anti-American to you? NO. So, what was the difference in the two postings that changed the nature of the advice.

Perhaps it was Homeagain's scorn of Egyptian life coming through that upset me. Since then he has done nothing except re-enforce my original conception that he was in Egypt against his will.

malachi2004
Member # 4707

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malachi2004   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Homeless again, don't give away $900 American dollars to those unappreciative terrorist! Hey those people are anti-american, anti-semetic, anti-christian, anti-black, and the only reason they are anti-war is because they lost all of them, he he he. They are losers!

Hey Israel is only the size of a small U.S. city, and all those big bad Arab losers have embarassingly lost every war to them! Imagine that, a small city in the U.S. winning a war being attacked on all sides by the big guys. They are humiliated! The embarassed over the defeat!

1949- Israel War of Indepedence- 6 Arab Nations invade (tiny little Israel) and got the crap beat out of them..Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Lebanon, and Palestine...WHOA! terror in the middle east huh? And they lost!

1967- Israel crushed Egypt, Syria, Iraq, and Jordan, in as little as 6 days! WHOA!

1973- Egypt, Syria with the (AID) of Iraq, attack Israel and were sadly DEFEATED! WHOA!

1982- Guerilla attacks on (tiny little Israel) by Lebanese and Syria lead to an embarassing defeat of the Arabs! WHOA!

1991- Iraq launched scud missiles on Israel (hey the Arabs always leave this part out right) Israel didnt even retaliate ( Iraq was already getting a major internationally ass kicking! Whoa!

And the saga continues...

These losers have the gall to question why the US aids Israel. Hey Israel has always been loyal to the U.S. Egypt has not!

The only reason the U.S. gives AID to Egypt is because they signed a peace treaty with Israel. You should be thanking Israel for that! You ungrateful scum!

That money was to be used to privatize your economy, the government owned everything! No wonder your government is so rich, and the people so poor! Hate America, you should be thanking us for bringing you out of the dark ages! Thanks to us, you're model Arab citizens, all the backward Arab world wants to live in Egypt. Hey why are you so backward? Waging war and constantly defeated huh? Blame Israel, Blame America, Blame the whole developed world because you were a backward underdeveloped country while your government lived in Palaces. Thank us! One day the Iraqi's will thank us for bringing them out of the dark ages too! Why did Sadam Hussein own several palaces, drive ver expensive cars, and his people lived in tents and ride camel? Ha ha ha, you idiots should kiss the ground American walk on! You're nothing without us. Arabs are the most illiterate people in the entire world! Half of you population can't even read and write! But Hey, the prophet mohamad was illiterate too, gee what was I thinking?

Hey Mokoo, where are you dude, please save our American friend from making the biggest mistake in his life, moving to a backward war torn country that makes their living off the greatness of the past smarter Egptians, Romans and Greeks, my has that country gone backwards since the Arabs invaded.

Shalom
Malachi

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gimme $900 a month and i will live quite happy in Luxor ta very much, and I can bring all the bandAID ya need from UK.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i see we got another Mokoo, a malachi now. or maybe its the same guy made another id to help himself not look such a pratt............no, rephrase that, to help him look more of a pratt. sad.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by malachi2004:

Hey Mokoo, where are you dude, please save our American friend from making the biggest mistake in his life, moving to a backward war torn country that makes their living off the greatness of the past smarter Egptians, Romans and Greeks, my has that country gone backwards since the Arabs invaded.

Shalom
Malachi

Yeah, I'd rather he moved to the only apartheid remaining in the world. War torn, are you joking, how is Egypt doing much than the country of God's chosen people in that, how could it possibly be?

Anyway, just have fun Malachi, I think that you are not a real Jew or anything, you are just too stereotypical in your behaviour.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by malachi2004:
1949- Israel War of Indepedence- 6 Arab Nations invade (tiny little Israel) and got the crap beat out of them..Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Lebanon, and Palestine...WHOA! terror in the middle east huh? And they lost!

1967- Israel crushed Egypt, Syria, Iraq, and Jordan, in as little as 6 days! WHOA!

1973- Egypt, Syria with the (AID) of Iraq, attack Israel and were sadly DEFEATED! WHOA!

1982- Guerilla attacks on (tiny little Israel) by Lebanese and Syria lead to an embarassing defeat of the Arabs! WHOA!

1991- Iraq launched scud missiles on Israel (hey the Arabs always leave this part out right) Israel didnt even retaliate ( Iraq was already getting a major internationally ass kicking! Whoa!

Oh, let's not talk about 1973 baby, remember Golda Meyr weeping

You know what's cute, you won none of these wars without direct US help, sometimes even in the form of personnel

You know what, you didn't mention getting bazookas rammed up your ass in South Lebanon that you had to withdraw voluntarily. Or having been kicked so thoroughly in Gaza that you have to leave now, sad eh, those few thousand settlers now have to leave the 97% of Gaza that they occupied.

And one more thing speaking of ignorance. What American city or even metropolis is the size of Israel??? Did you by any chance mean small STATE?

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Homeagain, I will try to summarise what everyone here has been trying to say. Once again a major theme that Americans use whenever they feel defensive is that ALL THE WORLD is jealous of their democracy and wealth. Well, no, no one on this thread, and very few people in the world are actually jealous of America. I know the concept may be shocking to many Americans who think the whole world wants to immigrate to America, but frankly your country is a nice country, but it's just one of many, it's not the centre of the universe.

So when you start patronising by saying stuff like "Don't ask us to apologise for our standard of living" and total crap like that, don't be surprised when a stereotype of an arrogant, ignorant American takes hold in most people's minds.

And before you accuse me of being jealous, I don't think that what you made when you were here was *that* enormous.

I don't know why you or LL turned this innocent thread into a personal fight, kiss and make up you two.

P.S. Isn't it nice when your closest ally is an apartheid

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Quite right Kimo.

All I wanted to do was tell Homelessagain that he/she could live well on 900 US$ per month. Homelessagain has been wise and deserted the thread to let the battles rage. I shall leave it alone now.

Ayisha - I agree with you entirely. 900$ - ta very much - that will do nicely. Where shall we celebrate our good fortune?

By the way Malachi is American not Israeli - otherwise he would not have used the phrase "You are nothing without us".

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:

Ayisha - I agree with you entirely. 900$ - ta very much - that will do nicely. Where shall we celebrate our good fortune?

sadly the only watering hole i know by name is Ali Baba on west bank :rolleyes and not too impressed either but it might have got better if i had been drinking then

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Ali Baba on the West Bank. It got itself closed down for a while (so I am told) due to its exta-curricular offerings in the back rooms. It will have to be the East Bank.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
i knew there was some reason i didnt like it

quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
Ali Baba on the West Bank. It got itself closed down for a while (so I am told) due to its exta-curricular offerings in the back rooms. It will have to be the East Bank.

faustine somma
Member # 4925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for faustine somma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am quite impressed by the degree of hysteria displayed by some people on that forum !
As to the 900 dollars a month of our friend, of course it is enough to live comfortably in Cairo. But you must be prepared to meet Western people working for western compagnies on a much huger salary and also some very rich Egyptians from the upper class. However, it should be far enouggh to live happily ! And you will learn to knwo the "egyptian" prices agter a few months.
Now as to our american friend, paying 2500 dollars a monthly rent simply means he is completely stupid ! And he gives a terrible image of the USA. If you need extraordinary sums of money to get drunk, I feel sorry for you. I you've never been to Luxor, I'm sorry for you. You are incredibly cliché, the very rich American guy who has no culture at all. Telling that life in Egypt was as expensive as in the States is completely crazy. Open your eyes my friend !

Posts: 4 | From: paris, France | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on get real!!!! 900 dollars is good money here if u are sensible!!
if you want to live like the Americans, you deserve to get ripped off with stupid rents!! They sure can see you coming!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com