EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Need map...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need map...
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me again.........where can I find a map of Luxor...streets,areas etc.Need specificly for non tourist area but if I can get the whole thing thats fine too.Is there perghaps a website where I can get it?
Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There might be one but I do not know of any web site that would offer anything comprehensive. (Let me know if you find one).

Most of the non-tourist areas are a rabbit warren of streets that do not appear to have any names. If you let me know when you are arriving then I can meet you and at least show you around a bit - it might help you find a location for your business in Luxor itself or in Awamia or Karnak. Have you considered the WEst Bank?

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im trying to sort out my things...but I need to study Luxor a bit more...I hate being in town and not being able to find my way around.I also need to know if there are any hardware stores that sells wood,tiles,etc....Interior decorating stores for fabrics,upholstery etc....Im kind of a farm girl and prefer to do things myself. Hence the hard ass attitude ...A stupid question...will it be easy for me to find equipment like power drills,titanium bits,jigsaws etc....or would you recommed I rather bring my own stuff for renovation perposes?..

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am have the same sort of attitude, I will not pay someone to do a job i can do myself and there is not a lot of D.I.Y that i can't do.
Be carefull Natashiah, Take a pipe and wire detector with you and remember the power tools will have a different wattage than they do at home.
DO NOT attempt to do something unless you are certain that you can do it, if you need a tradesman then ask on here for recomendations and negotiate price the same as you would at home.
Good Luck

Posts: 124 | From: england | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
chelle67...the voltage/wattage is the same...I never had problems with my electrical products!...There is one thing though...will the walls be able to withstand my Black & Decker? ...other than that it should be ok...but still need hardware store for materials...do you know of any in Luxor?

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You an get most things here but wood is difficult to get without employing the carpenter too. There is fun in DIY but tradesmen are not expensive and they can be useful for the hard bits - plumbing etc.

The walls are solid and will stand your drill. I brought my own Black and Decker and drill bits. The ones here are Ok but they do not seem to last a long time.

Everything else for decorating you can get. Paint, fabric etc. What I did find hard was locating a paint tray for a roller. The rollers were not a problem. They tray was. As they are light, stick a couple in your case. Paint brushes in Luxor seem to come only in a couple of sizes, so stick a few of those in too.

Is S.Africa on 220/240 volts like the UK and Egypt? I ask because kitchen equipment here does not seem to last a long time either so I brought a good quality electric kettle with me.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Yep its the same like UK/EG...remember SA was under British rule for a verrry long time ...almost everything is like in Britain just a pity the rand is so damn weak.Anyway..I really feel like doing the decorating myself but will make sure to get plummer and electrician ...dont want to shock or drown myself.I checked for chandeliers and it is affordable in EG but are there shops in Luxor that sells them.What about steam irons...Phillips,national etc. are they available in Luxor...or should I bring my own?

lotusflower
Member # 4661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotusflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natashia, there are many shops in Luxor that sell electrical goods such as steam irons, food processors,electric kettles, liquidisers, coffee percorlators with brand names such as Philips, Moulinex, Braun - beware of some imitation brand names (such as Mouuulneex with a cheaper price- these cheap imitation products are usless) other than that you can basically purchase all electrical products in Luxor without hauling these in your suit case and paying an excess luggage charge at the airport on departure. The shop Botec (near train station) in Luxor is quite good but you can shop around for cheaper products. Fabic shops (home furnishing fabrics)are a woman's paradise in Luxor.

Remember if u

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotusflower
Member # 4661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotusflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry forgot to finish above

remember if u bring electical products with you all plugs in Egypt are 2 pin and u will need an convertor adaptor if these are not 2 pin.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, I didn't know that Egypt had the same voltage as the uk, I would still get a wire/pipe detector,( Note I did say I)!!
I put up new dado and skirting last year and went through a live wire that was in the wrong place lol .Please don't try the same trick.
Kitchen equipment does not last long here either luxor, I think it is me as i have to buy a new kettle and toaster every year, they tend to go BANG

Posts: 124 | From: england | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
No it's not you Chell - they do go bang - very quickly Bring a decent kettle with you Natashah. I am not knocking Egyptian workmanship, but even the well known brand names use mainly Egyptian parts and there are too many clones.

I wish someone had recommended to me that I brought out a wire detector. Every time I drill a hole I expect to get blown up.

You do not need to worry about adaptors Natashah. (Unless it is the big AC/DC converter type). You just cut off the plugs and put 2 pin plugs on them. They only cost 1 LE each. The round European type two pin ones even have a slot for the earth wire. However, nothing in Egypt is earthed.

Chandelliers etc should be bought in Cairo and sent down on the train. There are some to be found in a shop in Medina Street and again in the 'posh' shop near the big Church, but they are expensive compared with those bought near El Geish Street (spelling?) in Cairo. As El Geish street is not far from the Khan el Khallili you get to look around there too.

Even if you are flying into Luxor, it will be worth your while to go up to Cairo for a few days shopping. The train fare is cheap and you will more than recoup it in what you save. There is a wonderful Carrefour there too. Bliss - I bought five kilos of cheddar cheese (cheaper than in England) to stuff in the freezer.

For general household stuff, there are two fixed price 'government' shops in Luxor that have just about everything you could need at a much lower cost than elsewhere.

For aircon, fridges, washing machines, etc., - a new shop has opened near the station (fixed price again) across the road from the BTEC shop and it is much cheaper and seems to stock just about everything.

Good shopping.

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Thaaaaaaanx a million everyone...LL I will make sure to get a kettle,iron,food processor here...adapters not a problem...most of the stuff here comes with 2 point plug and we have to get 3point adapters for it.So I will just keep the 2point plugs.If you guys can think of anythinh else that i should rather buy here pleeze let me know!
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
If you are to live in Luxor then it might be wise to bring some good kitchen knives. The steel of the ones here (luxor) is so thin that they bend when you use them and go blunt quickly. (Or perhaps I am just heavy handed).

It took me ages to get used to the wierd combinations of goods that shops sell here. Shops that sell lamps do not sell the light bulbs that go in them. (that is another man's business) - you get bulbs from electical shops. (Except for the big shop near the church that is). Fabric shops do not sell dressmakers pins - they come from a stationery shop. Bike oil does not come from the bike shop - it comes from the garage. And so on. Crazy but it makes shopping an interesting learning experience.

Talking of pins etc., good quality sewing needles are not easy to find either. Like the knives, the ones here bend.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 23 August 2004).]

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Yeah...I know that feeling of running around.When I was in cairo I wanted to make macaroni and cheese...i ended up going to 4 different shops...because there was tomatoe shop,egg shop,pasta shop...and cheese shop...but I enjoyed it a lot...it was fun because I worked up an apetite with all the running around ...oh by the way I hate gas stoves...dont have a clue how it works,,,but I guess now you will tell me theres no electrical stoves... .

I want to live amongst the locals and that is our plan because I have to get used to real life in Luxor....since Im not returning to SA for a verrrrrry looong time,unless its an emergency!Sooooo what what about the stoves are they safe???

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I have never had any trouble with my gas stove. In fact I have not seen a electric stove in Luxor - although there must be some. The thing about gas stoves is that they are cheap to buy and cheap to run. So long as you take the usual precautions there is little danger with it.

The boys come round the streets with a cart full of cylinders several times a day. They usually cost about 6 LE (depends on demand) and last several months. If you give the boy another 5 LE he will carry it up the stairs and fix it up for you.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking of gas stoves has anyone had the same problem as me? I eventually worked out ( after many disasters) that No1 is the hottest and No5 is the coolest setting. Is this normal in Egypt or is it just my cooker?

To be honest I hate using the oven I have to stand over it to make sure it stays alight as it has a habit of going out by itself and it scares the hell out of me. My grill is just the same.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
....how could I forget!!!!

BANKS...what about the banks????...I need to know which one would be the best to open an account with in Luxor of course!Also how accesible are they in terms of ATMS in Luxor and International basis?????

[This message has been edited by Natashiah (edited 25 August 2004).]

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
OK ...one almost last stupid question....microwave...I know Egyptians are not fond of them due to health reasons...buuut...I really cant wait that long to heat up a meal. ...Sooo what price ranges are the microwaves in Luxor..would it be better to buy one here or there?

Also i try to keep this topic alive ...so to get as much info as possible!

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member

...just trying to stay alive baby...just trying to stay alive!

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member

...Im waiting!

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member

[This message has been edited by Natashiah (edited 27 August 2004).]

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com