EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » CAIRO METRO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CAIRO METRO
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for noiretblanc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello friends!
I have downloaded from Internet a map of Cairo metro, but I am totally lost. I would like to get info about the metro stops in each neighbourhood because I have a map of Cairo City with main streets, squares...

Thank you very much!!!

Posts: 182 | From: Madrid, SPAIN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DubaiDoctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
You'll probably won't need to know all this information there are few stations that you'll probably need to know. Mubark for Ramsis train station, Sadat for midan tahrir and AUC. for down town there are probably few stations which close to mubark and sadat Opera for Zamalik and Jezira area. most other station like Ma'adi, Dar Al-salam are named after parts of town.

good luck

quote:
Originally posted by noiretblanc:
Hello friends!
I have downloaded from Internet a map of Cairo metro, but I am totally lost. I would like to get info about the metro stops in each neighbourhood because I have a map of Cairo City with main streets, squares...

Thank you very much!!!

Posts: 77 | From: Dubai UAE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The North South line runs from Shubra north to Helwan south. The east west line runs from eastern parts of downtown to the outreaches of Giza.

As Dubai doctor said only the few downtown stations are dubiously named, everything else is very descriptive.

There are three Maadi stations, all on street number 9. Hadayek el Maadi serves the Hadayek area, Maadi serves old Maadi and central parts of new Maadi (e.g. grande mall and gazayer street), Sakanat el Maadi serves the end of street 9 as well as Degla and Zahraa el Maadi (take this station if you want to go to Carrefoure for example).

Hope this was helpfull, though I admit my knowledge is very local. If you have more specific questions shoot.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for noiretblanc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello again and thank you for your quick response!!! well, I am planning to live in Zamalek, but I thought that this neighbourhood did not have metro. Is the nearest metro station named GEZIRA?? I know that SADAT is located in MEYDAN TAHRIR, but what about Garden City and Mohandissen? What are the best metro stations to go to these neighbourhoods?

Thanks again folks, you are great!!

Posts: 182 | From: Madrid, SPAIN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello again and thank you for your quick response!!! well, I am planning to live in Zamalek, but I thought that this neighbourhood did not have metro. Is the nearest metro station named GEZIRA?? I know that SADAT is located in MEYDAN TAHRIR, but what about Garden City and Mohandissen? What are the best metro stations to go to these neighbourhoods?

Thanks again folks, you are great!!

Umm, I think the station is called Opera not Gezira. Anyway, Mohandessine, mmm, you need a taxi from the nearest station anyway. Okay, you can leave in Dokki and take a taxi, that should be a 5 min ride or something in good traffic. Cairo university and bohooth are also somehow close. Garden city is really really close to Tahrir, so Sadat will do okay there. The question is where in Garden city, for example the American embassy is a 5 minute walk from Sadat.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Thaaaaaaaaanks again! Now I have a clear idea about correspondence of Cairo Map with the METRO. As far as I understood Garden City is much better communicated than Zamalek...right??
Thanks again Kimo!

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
As far as I understood Garden City is much better communicated than Zamalek...right??

Well yeah I guess. It's in downtown so it's as well connected as anywhere. But Garden City has its problems too! I think Zamalek is a bit calmer and more open. And in any case distances in this area are very small. Zamalek is really close to Garden city and downotown is an easy walk from the two. A very short taxi ride will take you from the most outlying areas of Zamalek to downtown or Mohandessin. So I guess transport should not be a very big factor if you are choosing between the two. Good luck.

turtle
Member # 2745

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the other station that's close to garden city is zaad zaghloul, but it all depends where you want to go. i lived in 2 places in garden city (first one close to sadat, the other one closer to zaad zaghloul), and whenever i had to go to zamalek, i took a taxi. it's just so much faster and really not expensive.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Thanks again!
Now I can see that Zamalek, Mohadessen, Garden City, Downtown...are really close and you can "travel" from one neighbourhood to the others in a short ride. Now, the most difficult question for you? Which one do you prefer to live? I would like to live in a nice neighbourhood but not in a isolated one, with no restaurants, bars, amenities...
Thanks folks!!

DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DubaiDoctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They all have the same stuff. Zamalik is probably the best, it has all the above, it is much greener than the others and it is way less polluted.

I personally live in Al-Rehab

good luck

quote:
Thanks again!
Now I can see that Zamalek, Mohadessen, Garden City, Downtown...are really close and you can "travel" from one neighbourhood to the others in a short ride. Now, the most difficult question for you? Which one do you prefer to live? I would like to live in a nice neighbourhood but not in a isolated one, with no restaurants, bars, amenities...
Thanks folks!!

[This message has been edited by DubaiDoctor (edited 25 August 2004).]

Posts: 77 | From: Dubai UAE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Ok. I understand. I think I will check these neighbourhoods when I will arrive to Cairo and I will decide where to live. Where is the area in which you are living?
turtle
Member # 2745

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garden city doesn't have that many places to go out, but it is really close to downtown, so that's covered. i chose to live over there because i had to take the metro to kobri al qobba every day, and wanted to safe time - it would have taken a lot longer to get the underground from zamalek to sadat and stuff.
most people i knew in garden city either had to do the same, or studied in the AUC, which is in walking distance, so they chose to live there. both areas are green and nice. it really depends on what you want.

see for yourself when you get there!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
thank you Turtle. You were more than clear. Although I posted some messages asking for advise to find a flat, to chose the right neighboorhood and although many people tried to help me, I did not get the idea until now. Thanks a lot!
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
I wonder if there is a card (one month, or six month card) to use METRO daily, or if you pay everytime you enter in. Thanks!

noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
I read somewhere that there are also two more lines which will be ready soon. Is it true?
turtle
Member # 2745

Rate Member
quote:
I wonder if there is a card (one month, or six month card) to use METRO daily, or if you pay everytime you enter in. Thanks!

apparently you can buy a card, but i always bought the card when i got in. it depends on where you are going, i am not sure about the price now, but it used to be very, very cheap. it is the same kind of thing as the metro in paris. you buy the ticket, you insert it into the machine, the door opens, and you are in....

noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Yes, i understand, I have been in Paris and the METRO works like that. Also in Madrid and in other European cities is the same. Thanks for your information!
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most likely, you will walk from downtown to zamalek just once. and after you recover, you'll never do it again. you have to take some of the major streets and you will get a lot of attention from cars, other strolling romeos on the bridge, etc.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for noiretblanc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Extin. I got it!!
DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
That is right, they are currently working on one from Salah salem up to Imbabah with a station in Zamalik. they even might connect the Airport. I think in total there should be 5 lines but only God knows when any of this will materilize.

quote:
I read somewhere that there are also two more lines which will be ready soon. Is it true?

noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Thanks! At the beginning I thought that Zamalek did not have METRO!
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello, the metro is probably not like in other european cities. Its a train: only a few stations are underground. It costs 75 piastres for one way (12 cents US) I dont think they have monthly passes, you buy tickets at the door but they are good almost forever so you can buy many at the same time. KEEP YOUR TICKET, you need to put it back in the machine to exit.
I wouldnt want to live in Zamalek because: its the nicest neighbourhood in Cairo so everything is more expensive, everywhere. Its an island so you are isolated, always dependent on taxis although they are cheap if you take 2 per day, the bill goes up quickly. The metro is on the other side of the island so you would probably have to take a taxi to the metro anyway.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
I understand now better Annie: it would be better to live for instance in Mohandessen for instance I think...How is it like??
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The French are currently building a line from Ataba to Abbassiya which will extend to Nasr City and the Airport. It will run to Giza in the opposite direction via Roda Island. There also 3 more lines in the planning stage but they won't be up and running until - wait for it - 2022 at the earliest!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait til you get here before you try to get your head around an exact location you want to live in. You proabably are not going to live walking distance to the Metro, as is with most Urban planning, the Metros run though the worst areas of town or underground. You might think about Dokki, but if you are thinking Mohandiseen, you may as well think about Zamalek too. They are both a taxi ride to the Metro station, but it's like 3LE to get there....not a big deal. If super cheap transportation is a HIGH priority, then think Heliopolis, as we have a working tram system that hooks up with the regular Metro system and that can be dirt cheap to use. I can get lots of places for one EGP.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member

Thanks Debbie. You are right and I understood your argument. I will stay in a hotel in Zamalek and then, I will try to find a flat after walking around the area.
Thanks a lot!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Wait til you get here before you try to get your head around an exact location you want to live in. You proabably are not going to live walking distance to the Metro, as is with most Urban planning, the Metros run though the worst areas of town or underground. You might think about Dokki, but if you are thinking Mohandiseen, you may as well think about Zamalek too. They are both a taxi ride to the Metro station, but it's like 3LE to get there....not a big deal. If super cheap transportation is a HIGH priority, then think Heliopolis, as we have a working tram system that hooks up with the regular Metro system and that can be dirt cheap to use. I can get lots of places for one EGP.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
It's like Debbie said noire, you have to choose yourself because what's good for someone is hell for another. For example I simply can't take Mohandessin, but I know a lot of people who love it. I have a soft spot for Heliopolis, but a lot of people think of it as "out there in the desert". So it depends.
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
hello, the metro is probably not like in other european cities. Its a train: only a few stations are underground. It costs 75 piastres for one way (12 cents US) I dont think they have monthly passes, you buy tickets at the door but they are good almost forever so you can buy many at the same time. KEEP YOUR TICKET, you need to put it back in the machine to exit.
I wouldnt want to live in Zamalek because: its the nicest neighbourhood in Cairo so everything is more expensive, everywhere. Its an island so you are isolated, always dependent on taxis although they are cheap if you take 2 per day, the bill goes up quickly. The metro is on the other side of the island so you would probably have to take a taxi to the metro anyway.

What you said is true for the old line (only a few stations underground), but it's probably the other way around for line 2. And yes they do have passes, they are called "ishtirak", the ticket you get is blue instead of the normal yellow, and it comes out of the other side on exit as well as entry. You will see it with schoolchildren all the time (at least with the ones who don't sneak in).

noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for noiretblanc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Kimo! I did not have news from you for a while. Why do not you like Mohandesseen? Just curious.
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Mohandessin (Sahafyeen actually), but I don't particularly like it, it's very crowded and too fancy for my taste. When I moved to Cairo my work was in Mohandessin, that's why I wanted to live either there or in Doqqi or Zamalek.

But, given a choice I'd move to Heliopolis any day, I just like the atmosphere, or maybe downtown or Maadi ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Hello Kimo! I did not have news from you for a while. Why do not you like Mohandesseen? Just curious.

Hi noire, just a couple of hectic days. I don't like Mohandessin for about the same reasons Dalia listed. Driving there is a nightmare, there are young people with "hot new cars" testing their maximum speed at ungodly hours. There is a dubious and widespread red lights activity come night. It's crowded. You can't park. Everything is overpriced. And (sorry if this sounds insensitive) come midsummer, the Arab invasion is just overwhelming. Of course there are fabulous areas in Mohandessin but you'd have to pick carefully.

noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
I got it friends!! I really like crowded places, with shops, suqs, etcetera, and I will not have a car, but I do not like people doing races with the cars...I really do not hate it! I will visit the area and I will decide when I will see it. Any more suggestions???
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I will not have a car, but I do not like people doing races with the cars...I really do not hate it!

Wait until you've tried to cross Gameat el-Dowal, LOL ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com