EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » mail and satellite

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mail and satellite
klausjonas
Member # 5155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for klausjonas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, everybody,
can anyone please enlighten me on the above mentioned points? will they deliver mail to your home in Cairo, or how does the system work? Will need some medicine from Germany on a regular basis. Any probs there?
Also, will it be possible to receive western european satellite programs or what kind of sat or cable tv is there? Is it worthwhile bringing a western european sat receiver over? And if anyone has any more experience with pets in flats, please tell me.
Thanks!

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tata
Member # 1062

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tata   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klaus are you German? If yes, it would be easier for me to answer your questions in German. You can email me on silke_hayman@web.de

Silke. www.suesse.hannah.ms

Posts: 73 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatshepsut
Member # 4664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatshepsut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey klaus

are your questions already anwered??

If not, tell me -will try to give you the answers.....

greetz

Posts: 127 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klausjonas
Member # 5155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for klausjonas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear hatshepsud,

unfortunately no, so any help you could give me would be more than welcome.
lookling forward to ur post. Klaus

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see couple of people offered to help you, but no one did

I know little about both subject but I'll tell you what I know anyway,
as for mail delivery< yes they do deliver to your home, and sometimes if the package is too big they send you a letter to go and pick it up yourself from the mail office,

the satellite could bring you almost any channel you want as long s it is included in any satellite package you subscribe into , and all the information you want to know about TV and channels you can get from one single phone call to your local provider

I hope I could be off any help to you

quote:
Originally posted by klausjonas:
dear hatshepsud,

unfortunately no, so any help you could give me would be more than welcome.
lookling forward to ur post. Klaus

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for satellite, you buy a decoder (these are anywhere from $150-500 depending on type/model/features.) i don't know how expensive they are where you live, but you may find a better deal on a sale item at home.

the dish will either be fixed, or rotating. everything else is free, unless you wish to subscribe to one of the american movie packages like showtime, which imports movies, tv, shows, sports, documentaries all in english and costs roughly about USD50 a month (subscriptions come in 6 month contracts, I think.)

If you have a rotating dish then you can catch all of your european channels including the german ones on certain frequencies-basically pointing the dish in a particular direction (what is it..hotbird?).. and all the middle eastern and local channels on another frequency (Nilesat). That's basically free.

As far as mail -- it could be a problem in that everything goes through customs, and there are delays and customs fees sometimes. Worst are CDs. I don't know about medicine, sorry. Mailman will try delivering 3x, leaving a note each time. If you're not home or you don't go to the post office to pick up your package, it will be returned to sender. DHL and similar couriers also operate in Cairo and the large cities.

pets -- no problem. they are not even discussed in leases so don't bother mentioning them to the landlords. the only time it becomes a problem is when you have a couple of very large dogs living in a high-rise flat with wooden floors. then your downstairs neighbors will complain to the landlord about the noise (a heavy dog lying down sounds like someone dropped a dresser).

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 09 September 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tata
Member # 1062

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tata   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hallo Klaus, hab dir eben ne Mail geschickt. Hoffe ich konnte dir weiterhelfen.

Silke. www.suesse.hannah.ms

Posts: 73 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klausjonas
Member # 5155

Rate Member
Dear Welsafty and ExptinCAI,

thank you, thank you, muchas gracias, that was good news.
Tata (Silke), Ur e-mail never arrived. Can U try again?
Klaus

Tata
Member # 1062

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tata   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ich hab die Mail eben nochmal weggeschickt. Ist sie jetzt angekommen?
Shushi
Member # 2417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shushi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Klausjonas,

Regarding the medicine from Germany, you may be able to purchase what you need from El Sedawy - a pharmacy just off Omar ibn el Yasser (near the military academy). This pharmacy acts as a wholesaler for worldwide pharmaceutical companies, importing various products into Egypt.

As for the satellite, my husband, who is a whizz on these things, tells me that you will need a 1.8m motorised satellite dish and if you need to decript your channels you will need a receiver with a cam. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck.

Posts: 26 | From: Darlington, Co. Durham, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com