EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » question for all

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question for all
Mary_77
Member # 5264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary_77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybey i am not the only one. But i get confused on old ideas of culture. Or wrong information. For example.

When i am in Cairo, people seem to think i am wild, love to party, live on my own alone in a house, have a lot of boyfriends. When i am in Holland i hear things that may seem to be wrong in my eyes to if it is about Egypt. People seems to think most of the girls wear headscars, are virgin and are not allowed to work. I want to hear the modern ideas of your culture and maybe mine. What is wrong, and how do things go these days. What i seemed to find very funny, is that they say that my sister in law looks and acts more european, and that i seemed to be more acting egyptian. Please share your ideas with me. I am getting tired of feeling confused by so called ideas...............

Posts: 38 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doffa
Member # 4904

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doffa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Cairo; If we divided Egyptian people into categories A,B,C; U ll find how different the classes are from each other as if they r from different cultures and countries……
Low classes here are uneducated, closed minded and stupid mother fckers, they always wanna bother people that looks different or act differently from them.

But other classes are completely different, they don't care what u r wearing or what u r drinking, but we party all the time, we love to see beautiful ladies wearing sexy dresses going wildly every night and if u don't have a boyfriend we consider u weird.

So, to live a happy life in Egypt, never interact with low classes or even care about what they say or staring at u.

Posts: 88 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary_77
Member # 5264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary_77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel what you are saying. I had something like this when i was there. I was at a place with my sister. And we were there with friends. and one of the guys came along, nobody knew. And he did not speak english, he wanted me to learn arabic to interact with him (ask me, how can someone learn arabic for going out one day). He was constanly touching and jaleous about other people, even my sister. And there was a time i really liked someone. My sister said i would be carefull with him. He i not like us. She meant, different class. But you can not help who you like ect ect. After a while all seemed to be okay. But he became more aggressive, didn't want me to go out, if i needed food or something i needed to wait until he was there. Could not talk to other people. He used to fight with a lot of man for even loking or trying to talk to me. I felt really uncomfortable. And being with my egyptian family, it was totally different. I met men there too. They were more relaxt. and because they were, i could be myself. And i can tell you, i am a bit "weird" right now. That has a reason too (weird for not having a boyfriend). but the egyptian culture is much better ( that is my personal feeling), than the palce i live. And also, never judge someone the first time you see them. I think a lot of people have ideas about me, but i can tell you, not a lot of people are right......
Posts: 38 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doffa How can you ever accuse someone or a group of people for being low class just because they don’t have the opportunities you had,
low classesim is only in behavior, not on social standards or level of education, and some people would interpret your DIRTY mouth as a very strong indicator of what class you are from I think I can use your reply to Mary_77 that you speak out of experience about LOW class people who are rude, Dirty mouth, close minded

Mary_77; I understand where your confusion come from, although I think you are a little bit moor worried than you should be, just be yourself and follow your instinct, you shouldn’t worry about having to many male friends, boyfriends or not having one, it is your life, and no one ever have the right tell you what you should or shouldn’t do.
The Egyptian culture is as diverse as any other culture, there is the conservatives, the fundamentals, close minded, open minded, liberal, crazy, wise, dumb and normal, and there is no way of pleasing everyone, not all Egyptian women are veiled, and not everyone in Egypt think that the woman should be covered from head to two,

you are right about what you said about yourself comparing to your sister in law< that she might look and act more western that most Egyptian girls, and you are more Egyptian like than all other foreign women, it happens all the time, although everyone is directly link to the culture he/she grow in, but at the end everyone shoes who they want to be, I personally think that my sister in law who is 10000% pure American, is more Egyptian like than many women I knew in Egypt

quote:
Originally posted by Doffa:
Here in Cairo; If we divided Egyptian people into categories A,B,C; U ll find how different the classes are from each other as if they r from different cultures and countries……
Low classes here are uneducated, closed minded and stupid mother fckers, they always wanna bother people that looks different or act differently from them.

But other classes are completely different, they don't care what u r wearing or what u r drinking, but we party all the time, we love to see beautiful ladies wearing sexy dresses going wildly every night and if u don't have a boyfriend we consider u weird.

So, to live a happy life in Egypt, never interact with low classes or even care about what they say or staring at u.

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary_77
Member # 5264

Rate Member
can i react with just a little very little commend on what you said. Not that i have to explain myself. I feel better if i put things right. I do not have a lot of boyfriend, i never have a lot of boyfriend. Something very funny, i am very very old fashion if you know wat i mean. I like to experience people myself. But if people say the same things a lot, you start wondering, am i doing right or wrong for me. But we all do not know all.......
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understood that, I wasn't talking about you having many boyfriends, ( that’s why I said male friends or boyfriends). sometimes having to many male friends could be miss interpreted in Egypt ( I have to admit) and also having too many girlfriend, I mean female friends, it never even crossed my mind that you have ALOT of "Boyfriend" Boyfriends, even to a very liberated person that wouldn’t be a very good thing. and by the way I believe that someone could be very open-minded, and liberal, yet keep his/her decency.

it is very good that you are old-fashioned. I like old-fashioned people myself, I am one when it comes to certain things

quote:
Originally posted by Mary_77:
can i react with just a little very little commend on what you said. Not that i have to explain myself. I feel better if i put things right. I do not have a lot of boyfriend, i never have a lot of boyfriend. Something very funny, i am very very old fashion if you know wat i mean. I like to experience people myself. But if people say the same things a lot, you start wondering, am i doing right or wrong for me. But we all do not know all.......

[This message has been edited by welsafty (edited 08 September 2004).]

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took me a little while to work out what you meant exactly by old fission or old assassin. English is such a horrid language for a foreigner because it follows no rules but the actual spelling is old-fashioned. Hope that helps

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
hee hee < I should read what I am writing before I even post it, yes spelling was never one of my best trades
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
It took me a little while to work out what you meant exactly by old fission or old assassin. English is such a horrid language for a foreigner because it follows no rules but the actual spelling is old-fashioned. Hope that helps

Doffa
Member # 4904

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doffa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by welsafty:
your DIRTY mouth as a very strong indicator of what class you are from I think I can use your reply to Mary_77 that you speak out of experience about LOW class people who are rude, Dirty mouth, close minded

I don't have to explain my point of view in details….
Maybe it's my fault cuz I thought I m talking to adults but I ll handle U insulting me this time and I ll reply u saying that INDEED Humans with Low level of education have no experience with no shiiit, how can they interact with other girls while they never saw one in school or university!!! They will stay in one fixed level of communication (Mom & Sis).

Moreover, without a doubt his Social Standard and his home have an effect on the way he acts and ways of living (I don't have to explain why this too!)

I m not talking here about wealthy ness, I did not say that I have a Black Porsche. My business life gave me the ability to interact with different categories; You r not A CLASS by how big is your account is but how moderated and civilized u r.

AGAIN: welsafty Try to read between my lines when I reply any topic or do not bother answering me.

Posts: 88 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Doffa, I understand your frustration. Like when you walk by any shop, the workers hanging outside will serenade you with stares till they can't see you no more, they've got to have something better to do. But I think you used the wrong word "class" is not it! In my experience the nosieness and judgementalism cross all boundaries. I've some friends who come from not so rich families who are some of the best people I've ever seen, they work hard and they don't care about what anyone else does.
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

............ read between your lines, DOFFA, I believe I need glasses from now on.........

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 09 September 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi Mary, welcome to another culture!!!!!

Egypt is definitely another place than Holland but give yourself time to figure things out and understand the new culture. As time goes by you will understand why people think like this, guys act like that, who you can build a friendship with (maybe even more) or better stay away from.

The best way to deal with Egyptian men is always to act kind of "cold", don't start chatting it up with everybody, just don't be too friendly. And seriously, don't invite anyone in the beginning into your house (as the man could have other things in mind than nipping on a cup of tea . Only by talking to a man on the street see some Egyptians as you would like this person (and actually you are just trying to find the way to the museum )

Dating in Egypt for foreign women is very easy (in meaning of you are very popular!) and thats why it is so difficult to find someone who loves you for the person you are. If you somehow attractive it can be a hassle for you just to walk down couple of streets to get some groceries; even if you are properly dressed and "behaving well". It can really get on your nerves, believe me.

Sometimes check out how Egyptian women act in certain situations - you almost can't get wrong by doing so.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Mary.

Avoid eye contact at all times and if you really do not want any hassle dress from head to foot in black.:

Be yourself and be respectful and you will not go wrong now in upper Egypt..............
well that is another story.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member

quote:
I don't have to explain my point of view in details…

why dont you have to explain yourself? you just dump a big pile of garbage and we just have to swallow it because you dont have to explain?

quote:
Maybe it's my fault cuz I thought I m talking to adults but I ll handle U insulting me this time and I ll reply u saying that INDEED Humans with Low level of education have no experience with no shiiit

Normally ADULTS don’t swear every chance they get to prove their point, instead they use logic,
I didn’t insult you (as of yet) I only pointed out the sick logic you use to judge people, and you are the one who started by insulting a whole group of people because you think they are less than you, as if you are Super, And they are garbage.
when did education reflect wisdom, decency, manners, or knowledge?
How could you tell that some educated person is smart or dumb,
I can remind you with number of people who changed the world with the knowledge they have gevin us with no UNVERSITY DEGREE....
How about Tomas Edison? How about Al 2qad, how about Jesus (PBUH) , how about Mohammed (PBUH)??? non of those had a university degree, but sure we all benefit from the knowledge they passed down to us .
How many Idiots with Degrees you have seen ?
Education is only bunch of books someone have to read , memorize and sometimes understand to pass a test and get a degree.
For your information : not everyone understand what they are reading, and not everyone need the book to gain the knowledge.
How many university graduates from accredited US Universities, don’t even know that Canada is north of USA and in the continent of Northern America?, and how many poor uneducated farmer in Mexico Knows the location of Madagascar ?
quote:
how can they interact with other girls while they never saw one in school or university!!! They will stay in one fixed level of communication (Mom & Sis).

That could be MORE than enough for someone like this to treat every woman he meets with decency and respect

quote:
Moreover, without a doubt his Social Standard and his home have an effect on the way he acts and ways of living (I don't have to explain why this too!)

of course....... you don’t have to maybe because you cant explain it

quote:
I m not talking here about wealthy ness, I did not say that I have a Black Porsche. My business life gave me the ability to interact with different categories; You r not A CLASS by how big is your account is but how moderated and civilized u r.
and could you please EXPLAIN to us what is MODERATION or even CEVILIZATION ?
once again I know you DONT HAVE to explain anything

quote:
AGAIN: welsafty Try to read between my lines when I reply any topic......

OK I'll read between the lines once again
first you classified Egyptian people into 3 categories A,B, And C,
the first category (that would be "A")
quote:
Originally Classified and posted by Doffa: (CATEGORTY A)

quote:
Originally Classified and posted by Doffa: (CATEGORTY B)

maybe you notice that you have omitted the third classification ??!!!

so you basically said that there are the LOW class people (uneducated) nosey, conservatives, and what else ?? oh yes... "Mother ****rs". and on the other hand there is the high class people (like yourself of course because you started by saying "they" and continued your sick argument with "we") who are open minded and don’t really care, but yet prefer to see beautiful ladies wearing sexy dresses going wildly every night.
and if mary_77 doesn’t have a boyfriend YOU would conceder her weird!!!
I don’t know but if this is how you see Egyptian people, I diffinatly don’t want to be from you high class, and see a woman only as a sex object who’s only purpose of existence is to ware sexy dresses, and going wildly every night. and maybe just maybe give you a hard on ???
you know they have a name of this high class of yours. !!! yes they call it horny

quote:

quote:
AGAIN: welsafty Try to read between my lines when I reply any topic or do not bother answering me.

who the heck you think you are? telling what, and what not to do..
I do whatever I want, whenever I feel like it,
maybe it is just the right time to start insulting you....
when I see and Moth*****r like yourself ( hey I only use your words!) dumping SH** at us, nothing would hold me from Dumping it back at you

Doffa; I only thought you are a horny kid who is trying to find the Californian hippie girl with her marijuana, and public beer drinking, and drunkenness, with her (HOT) tongue pierced, to score or any other stupid girl for all what it matters, I only now realized that you are far more stupid and shallow than that.

[This message has been edited by welsafty (edited 09 September 2004).]

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow welsafty, chill man, too heavy.
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doffa
Member # 4904

Rate Member
It seems that I came exactly on the wound, Welsafty.
Sorry, I really didn't mean that…And I m ending this conversation cuz I can't handle anyone to insult me more trying to show off even my age compared to urs doesn't accept that, I only said my point of view to Marry. What's up with u guys!!!???

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welsafty, i thought you wre egyptian...no? you at least have lived in egypt, right?

i mean, if i got what he meant,and mary got what he meant, then surely you got what he meant too?

no need to go on a crusade to point out that every generalization has an exception.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ge Ge:
Welcome Mary.

Avoid eye contact at all times and if you really do not want any hassle dress from head to foot in black.:

Be yourself and be respectful and you will not go wrong now in upper Egypt..............
well that is another story.

Isn't this statement a bit contradictory? On the one hand ou suggest dressing head to to in all black, then on the other hand just be yourself.

I like the be yourself advice best. Like some of these posters have pointed out, Egyptians are very tolerant of foreigners. Unless you go to some desolate area out in the middle of the desert where there is no contact with the outside world, then I would say you should be fine. Egyptians, unlike most of arabic countries have been in contact with foreigners since ancient times. And they do not expect you to walk like them, talk like them, and behave like them when you're in their country. So wearing all black from head to toe under pale white Netherland skin will may you look more out of place than simply being you. There is no requirement that you should become a muslim, wear a hijab or galebeya, just to come visit or live in Egypt.

Place like Sharm and Hurghada actually have more foreigners living there than Egyptians, and personally I've witnessed more Egyptians trying to be like them than the opposite. Especially in Hurghada, I dont think they personally care what Egyptians think of them, they're spending money and being themselves. And I've never heard one complaint from an Egyptian. Most of the complaining you hear will probably be from other foreigners, as if someone appointed them as National spokes persons just because they live there.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doffa What wound you are talking about?? never mind Kiddo, It's Ok , your apology is accepted
quote:
It seems that I came exactly on the wound, Welsafty.
Sorry, I really didn't mean that…And I m ending this conversation cuz I can't handle anyone to insult me more trying to show off even my age compared to urs doesn't accept that, I only said my point of view to Marry. What's up with u guys!!!???

kimo_the_maniac LOL, I am chilling right now, I am listening to Pink Floyd, oh and by the way, "Heavy" is my middle Name

quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
Wow welsafty, chill man, too heavy.

ExptinCAI that’s correct,.. Born in the USA, High school, and first collage degree from Cairo (lived in Egypt almost half my life 15 years) and now I am Back in Egypt

quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI :
welsafty, i thought you wre egyptian...no? you at least have lived in egypt, right?

AnotherNewMemberGGGGRRRRR I cannot believe that !!!, but I have to admit, I agree with you this time, Good play, keep the good work........................ (thumbs Up for AnotherNewMember)

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherNewMember:

Isn't this statement a bit contradictory? On the one hand ou suggest dressing head to to in all black, then on the other hand just be yourself.

I like the be yourself advice best. Like some of these posters have pointed out, Egyptians are very tolerant of foreigners. Unless you go to some desolate area out in the middle of the desert where there is no contact with the outside world, then I would say you should be fine. Egyptians………………. you hear will probably be from other foreigners, as if someone appointed them as National spokes persons just because they live there.

AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsafty:

AnotherNewMemberGGGGRRRRR I cannot believe that !!!, but I have to admit, I agree with you this time, Good play, keep the good work........................ (thumbs Up for AnotherNewMember)

Why Welsafty, you frisky little animal you. You're just so full of compliments to me lately, if I didnt know any better, I'd think you have a crush me.

*blushing, turning red and batting eyes*
:O

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANM dress head to foot in black was a joke,you know meant tongue in cheek,not to be taken seriously.

Everyone takes things so seriously this week,must be something in the air.

Once again Mary just be yourself and act in a respectful manner and you will not go wrong but if you do go wrong you can always dress from head to foot in black......a joke ok.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
crush??? On who ?? you??
You give yourself toooo much credit, have you looked to yourself lately??
You are really lucky that we are in a respectable forum; otherwise I would have told you what I really think about you,

Having this conversation with you makes me feel like Dr Doolittle talking to a little rat, and this is only because he haven’t talked to any lower forms of life. (no wait a minute did he talk to a bug ??)

and of course I had to complement you, when someone sees an imbecile making fool of himself all the time and one day this imbecile manages to flush after he uses the bathroom, he needs some sort of encouragement,
A thumb is just another figure, and I chose to give you the biggest one there is.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherNewMember:
Why Welsafty, you frisky little animal you. You're just so full of compliments to me lately, if I didnt know any better, I'd think you have a crush me.

*blushing, turning red and batting eyes*
:O

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

...Mary Mary Mary...before I came to Egypt i thought of it as an "Islamic country"...exspecting everything the oposite of my country...instead it was more like the west then it was the east.People have their own ways of doing things...and just like they are judgemental in the west they are in the east.Just like we love some designer outfits...so do they.Yes they do have classes....but it has nothing to do with money...like my mom used to say..."you cant buy class"!I personally found that I was more "religious" in certain ways than some of the women in Egypt...things that will never be allowed to be done in my community are allowed in Egypt...i do not want to go into detail.

Anyway my dear...you know yourself better than anyone else...so do what is best for yourself! ...my trips are always pleasant because i try to blend in with the locals...their ways and their culture...that way my life is a bit easier and that goes for any country...not just Egypt!

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsafty:
[b] Doffa How can you ever accuse someone or a group of people for being low class just because they don’t have the opportunities you had,
low classesim is only in behavior, not on social standards or level of education, and some people would interpret your DIRTY mouth as a very strong indicator of what class you are from I think I can use your reply to Mary_77 that you speak out of experience about LOW class people who are rude, Dirty mouth, close minded

Mary_77; I understand where your confusion come from, although I think you are a little bit moor worried than you should be, just be yourself and follow your instinct, you shouldn’t worry about having to many male friends, boyfriends or not having one, it is your life, and no one ever have the right tell you what you should or shouldn’t do.
The Egyptian culture is as diverse as any other culture, there is the conservatives, the fundamentals, close minded, open minded, liberal, crazy, wise, dumb and normal, and there is no way of pleasing everyone, not all Egyptian women are veiled, and not everyone in Egypt think that the woman should be covered from head to two,

you are right about what you said about yourself comparing to your sister in law< that she might look and act more western that most Egyptian girls, and you are more Egyptian like than all other foreign women, it happens all the time, although everyone is directly link to the culture he/she grow in, but at the end everyone shoes who they want to be, I personally think that my sister in law who is 10000% pure American, is more Egyptian like than many women I knew in Egypt
[/B]

well said welsafty wel ya wel
no honestly, you spoke my mind mate, but I do agree with some of the posts that you need to tone it down a bit.
Mary, I've commented on your question in another thread by mistake, you can read it there if you wish.

I do agree with Doffa on deciding to close the issue, by the way.
Peace !!

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welsafty, I got just as upset as u did when I read Dofta's comments but you surely expressed all my concerns better than I could have.

Im specialy concerned about this quote:
"You r not A CLASS by how big is your account is but how moderated and civilized u r."
Dofta, do you realise that this is the basis of racism (no, racism isnt only about colour or so called "races"). Them: Savages, You: Barbarous, Us: Civilised. the idea that humanity evolves on a linear scheme, from those naked people in the jungle, to those barbarous people who treat their women like *that* to the great British (or in this case: Upper class) civilisation, is indeed, racism (for lack of a better word in the english language).
Do you see what I mean? Liberalism should not be the goal of humanity. What you think is polite or acceptable behaviour differ for the people around you and you are not allowed to judge that and specialy not to STEREOTYPE them into A-B-C (or S-B-C; savage, barbarous, civilised) Consider "educating" yourself with the meaning of Cultural Relativism (as you noticed, classes are very much a culture of their own): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_relativism
please read the whole page.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com