EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Living in Maadi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Living in Maadi
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslandSha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read several posts about the prejudices against Maadi but does anyone have anything good to say? We arrived in Cairo last night (we thought until this week that we would be living in Alexandria) and I am beginning my search for a place to live. We are currently staying at a hotel in Zameleck so this is the only area we've walked around so far. My husband will find out tomorrow more about where he will actually be working so that will be a big indicator too.

He is anxious to get a car and start driving and I say absolutely no. I watch the traffic out the window and just can't believe how wild it is. When we lived in Croatia last year we walked unless we left the city. Parking was a nightmare.

Posts: 25 | From: Christianstand, St. Croix | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyman30
Member # 5311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyman30   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, i have red your post and i would like to know where do you prefer to settle in cairo and what is your budget and for how long time because i have a good flat in a so Qiute place in Nasr city if it not so far from you and it has 2 air conditon and everything you need and neer so good building and near form everything you would when you want to walk aroud so feel free to contact me

Posts: 1 | From: Cairo,Downtown, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please give us more details about the apartment, how many rooms etc., what equipment and furniture is in it, which part of Medinet Nasr is it in, which floor in the building, and how much is the rent if it’s a long term lease and are any services included?

By the way IslandSha, this area would take at about 30 minutes on a good run by taxi/car to Zamalek and over an hour by public transport. Sorry, but you will have to wait for comments from people who in Maadi as they will be able to tell you more about the area than I can, but as you say, best to wait until you know where your husband will be working first. Driving here isn't that bad really once you switch into the right mentality and realise that the other people don’t want to hit you any more than you want to be hit!!! You just have to be brave and go for it!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Im from Canada and I moved to Maadi 2 months ago (long-term). I love it!
Maadi rocks! Downtown is poluted, dirty, crowded and, as you noticed, traffic is crazy. Maadi is GREEN, uncrowded (by Egyptian standards!), clean, beautiful. And of course it as all the shops youd want to have nearby. Its more quiet too. Go for it. It might be a bit far from downtown but it is certainly worth it. The quality of life is much better. Appartments are much cheaper too.
At first I didnt want to live in Maadi because I knew that it was where most foreigners live and I wanted the "real" Egyptian experience. DOnt worry, there are enough Egyptians around! When I first came, my stress level lowered by half! It doesnt stink and it doesnt take 15 minutes to cross a street. I love it.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I too have lived in Maadi and its a lovely place, many up market people, good shops, the Grand Cafe to sit and have a coffee near the Nile, a multiscreen cinema, the Grand shopping Mall. If your worried about driving then Maadi is a "little less congested" and theres a fab Metro service not far which will take you straight into many parts of Cairo. Not to far, green what more can I say and its a little more lively than Zamalek too.
Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslandSha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your wonderful responses. Once we determine where my husband will be working, I'll begin a search for permanent housing. A location with more green space and less crowding sounds great. I'd also love to be able to walk to meet and greet friends at cafes/restaurants. This hotel is fine for the short term but it's definitely small. Once my stuff arrives from the US there will just not be enough room here.
Posts: 25 | From: Christianstand, St. Croix | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sallyally
Member # 3426

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sallyally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Canada and have settled in Maadi. Definately quieter and greener than other parts of Cairo. I've recently started driving and have found that it's much easier on my nerves to be the one behind the wheel. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. Good luck!
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
I think we'll wait on driving for a while although one of the women that worked in husband's position previously said it was no big deal to drive.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I checked out your picture website Annie. I hope to get started posting pictures soon. We really haven't been here that long so I'll get there.

annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Islandsha, thanks! hope you liked the view!
Sally, where in Canada are you from? Im from Montreal and I go to AUC. What about you? Are you a teacher in Maadi?

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meriah2
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for meriah2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I'm also from Canada (British Columbia) and living in Maadi! I agree that it is a nice place to live - the trees are especially nice The only thing that I really dislike about living in Maadi is that the prices are a bit higher than in some other areas. Shopping is a bit more expensive, but I don't think it's something that is a major problem. It is great for walking around, especially in the evenings, and there are all of the shops and things that you will need. Have a good stay!
Posts: 44 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Oh No, a Canadian invasion. Do you all mind if I ask why you moved here? I moved with my husband who works here. Today was his first day of work. The company will continue to arrange transportion while we're staying in the hotel this month. Once we're settled they are arranging a shuttle type service to pick up workers around the city.

I am not sure whether I'll try to work or not. I have computer/internet type work to do but that is on my own time schedule. I would like to live in an area that there is all the facilities I'll need: shopping, entertainment, etc.

Also, does anyone have any idea of how much utilites will be? I want to make sure we stay within our budget.

sallyally
Member # 3426

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sallyally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Vancouver, BC and I moved here to teach (in a British school outside Maadi).
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello, I first visited Egypt last year and fell in love with the country, people, culture, etc... So I applied at the American University in Cairo (AUC), and here I am!!
:-) Im in grad school, in the "forced migration and refugee studies". After I graduate next June Im hoping to fins a job in Cairo.

JOSHUA
Member # 4946

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSHUA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
hello, I first visited Egypt last year and fell in love with the country, people, culture, etc... So I applied at the American University in Cairo (AUC), and here I am!!
:-) Im in grad school, in the "forced migration and refugee studies". After I graduate next June Im hoping to fins a job in Cairo.

I miss AUC

Posts: 321 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l1nux
Member # 5824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for l1nux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
Hello, Im from Canada and I moved to Maadi 2 months ago (long-term). I love it!
Maadi rocks! Downtown is poluted, dirty, crowded and, as you noticed, traffic is crazy. Maadi is GREEN, uncrowded (by Egyptian standards!), clean, beautiful. And of course it as all the shops youd want to have nearby. Its more quiet too. Go for it. It might be a bit far from downtown but it is certainly worth it. The quality of life is much better. Appartments are much cheaper too.
At first I didnt want to live in Maadi because I knew that it was where most foreigners live and I wanted the "real" Egyptian experience. DOnt worry, there are enough Egyptians around! When I first came, my stress level lowered by half! It doesnt stink and it doesnt take 15 minutes to cross a street. I love it.

hi annie_81
relly you live in maadi? i live in to can i meet you and can i be a friend

Posts: 16 | From: Maadi,Cairo,Egypt. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrumpyGherkin
Member # 4970

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrumpyGherkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi IslandSha

I really think the area you live in in Cairo is a case of 'differnt strokes for different folks'. Also I think it depends on which area your husband will be working. The commute from downtown to Maadi in peak hour traffic 2 times a day is a nightmare and draining. If you are going to live in Maadi, you have to drive as it is a big place. Also there is not much in the way of shopping or entertainment and it seems after dark everything is closed and you will need to rely on those sleazy taxi drivers to get around. I lived in Maadi and hated it.

I also lived in Zamalek and loved it. There is everything you need there, shopping, loads of pubs and clubs, entertainment and it is all within walking distance.

Good luck on your move

Posts: 84 | From: Gherkin Land | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com