EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » international calls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: international calls
klausjonas
Member # 5155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for klausjonas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hallo, everbody,

could someone please explain to me the pros and cons (and of course the costs) of the various ways of making calls from Cairo to Europe? In other words: What's the best, most convenient and cheapest way of phoning from one's home. I would also need to do some faxing.
Thanks a million!

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi klausjonas!

I use an internet phone service (PC Phone) as I only have to pay local call charges from here and then the rates from the US (the service I use is US based) to wherever I am calling as the US rates are usually cheaper than the Egyptian rates. Although as I have a dial-up line the line isn’t always clear and we sometimes get cut off. Some have people recommended ICS service in Cairo (tel. 02-338 1129/02-3381089) as being very cheap and reliable too. They connect you to your number and bring the bill round next day to your house for payment. If you haven’t got an international line on your phone, then you could buy a phone card from Telecom and call directly or on your mobile, but I believe the latter options are much more expensive for regular use.

Sorry can’t help with the faxing, I do it through the office and pay the charges.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cologne
Member # 5390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cologne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hallo klausjonas (sounds very german to me)

for me the best way is to buy the 20 E.P. phone cards at any "Kiosk". With 20 E.P. you then have 5 Min. to call e.g. germany. Otherwise there are communicationcenters in different areas, where you can call from and also send faxes from.
Good luck.

Posts: 14 | From: Germany | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I researched all the options when I first came here and found all of them rather pricey. The only exception was the internet phone service. I met a few people who used it and were quite happy with it. Had to give up on that idea, though, because it turned out to be quite complicate due to the computer system I'm using.

I made arrangements with some of my friends to call me from Germany and we would split the cost, that worked very well for me. Calling Egypt from Germany costs about 1,5 cents per minute depending on the provider you chose (look under www.billiger-telefonieren.de for current rates); that's very cheap and you can talk for hours without feeling bad about it.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello,
I also use the internet to make calls.
check this out: www.skype.com
if you talk to somebody who has the program, its free. If not, you can buy "minutes" and call a regular phone or mobile from your computer. Its about 2 cents per minutes!

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslandSha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the SKYPE site and it appears to be a good idea. I'm definitely going to check it out further.
Posts: 25 | From: Christianstand, St. Croix | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klausjonas
Member # 5155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for klausjonas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all helping out with the phone query. Annie_89, the Skype svce sounds good, what's the quality? Will be having ADSL. Is it worth subscribing?
Klaus

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com