EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Anwar Al-Sadat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anwar Al-Sadat
permasun
Member # 5003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for permasun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be working in Cairo in the Summer of 2005. I've been told many young Egyptians that they are almost completely uninterested in politics. I've also read recently about Anwar Al-Sadat. What struck me is that as part of his military training he studied the American's Civil War Battle of Gettysburg, during which my great grandfather was killed.
This makes me wonder. What to Egyptians think of Al-Sadat in light of his assasination, his peace with Ireal and how he compares with the current president of Egypt. Just wondering. Egyptians only respond please. Shukran

Posts: 9 | From: Raleigh, NC USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear....its not a matter of not being interested...its a matter of being scared the wrong people might hear them
Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mouny-Cairo
Member # 2490

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouny-Cairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Anwar el sadat so much, he was a great president,he made a great victory in war with israel.
The peace is a nice thing no problem in that coz we have all our land and that's the important thing, he also was great in applying democracy and helping people.
He really was a great person

Posts: 66 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ayman24:
I like Anwar el sadat so much, he was a great president,he made a great victory in war with israel.
The peace is a nice thing no problem in that coz we have all our land and that's the important thing, he also was great in applying democracy and helping people.
He really was a great person

With or without Sadat Egypt was going for that victory before he even become a president.In fact he messed with our vectory and was the direct reason behind the famous dafrswar "thaghrah". Probably you didn't read for the man who was in charge at that time "El Shazly"...as for democracy, what are you talking about?

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Natashiah:
My dear....its not a matter of not being interested...its a matter of being scared the wrong people might hear them

This was during Nasser's period.You would make fun of something the government did and next day you find yourself in jail. I heared a bout a man who was sent to prison and his crime was insulting the soviets. this man thought soviet was a name of a person not a country.

Now it's different, you say whetever you like as long as you don't collect people and protest. None will care what you say, at the end they have the power and media in thier hands

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt_Canada
Member # 5408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egypt_Canada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Natashiah:

It’s not because of being scared, but because talking and protesting proved to be useless.

Posts: 51 | From: SaskCold, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
permasun
Member # 5003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for permasun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natashia's response is interesting. I spoke over the telephone with a friend in Syria and I mentioned Qatar's leader and his outspoken wife and their "quasi" promotion of womens rights and democracy. She said we cannot talk about this over the phone. When I asked why she said "you never know who's listening." This made me sad. I have the greatest respect for Arab peoples as well as their history and culture. When I come to work in Cairo next year how will I be accepted on the "street" as an American?
Posts: 9 | From: Raleigh, NC USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com