EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Beggars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beggars
melfenien
Member # 4903

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melfenien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why shouldn't foreigners give anything to children begging for something on a street?
Posts: 274 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean, why foreigners (or anybody) should NOT give money? thats a funny question! I give all the time but my (foreign) roommate says that its encouraging them not to go to school and that they like "bumming around", they are not really poor, they just want some "pocket money" and they are too lazy to work/study. Of course I strongly desagree with her but thats her "official" reason.
Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is an old man or an old woman who is unable to care for themselves then it is good to give alms to them. The same goes for those that are disabled in some way. If someone has done you a small service, even if it is only to point out a building or show you a flower then this can be rewarded. But, to just give money to children simply because they have asked for it cannot be right.

The children then learn the wrong lessons of life. They do not learn that they need to study and work hard to earn a living so that they can eventually support their families and lead a good life. They learn that the tourists are rich beyond their dreams and stupid enough to just give their money away. I am sure that is how all of Egypt's gigolos started on the road to their pitifully grubby lives. Lives that eventually run just short of outright theft.

A child that has been decently brought up by his family might ask you for "bon-bonee" or a "pen" but would never ask for money. Ask the child why "Lay" they should be given backsheesh when they have done nothing for it and they usually back off.

If you want to give your money away like that - give it to one of the orphanages. They will know where it should go.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 05 October 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I always give money but usually to people who look in need. It was late at night on a busy street in downtown Hurghada. I went to get some kushari. There was a woman, all dressed in black, sitting on the ground who had a little sleeping child lying on her lap. She wasn't holding her hand out but you could see the pain in her face. Everyone just walked by. I couldn't stand that sight being a mother myself.

My taxi driver wasn't too happy what I did. I can care less because I knew that woman was able to buy something to eat for her and her little one. Many people there live in poverty, salaries are very low, usually the men only work and who knows - she might was already a widow.

I also like to tip the rubbish people for their services. They are the ones walking miles during the day and even night time and trying to clean up. I wish more people would be doing that.

I recommend not to tip children, try candy instead. But it actually happened only couple of times to me.

I am sometimes wondering about myself that I am complaining about what I don't have in my life. Whenever I come to Egypt and see these people who live very low lives and are trying to make ends meet - I get reminded I should be thankful for all what I have......

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. I would also give to a woman with a child who looks as though she has lost her husdand (run off to Europe with an orfi wife perhaps?? ) The men who clear the rubbish do a good job and are badly paid and have earned a 'present'. The children who demand it have not done anything to deserve it. Sweets yes, but money should not be given. Give only to those that deserve it by performing a small service and to those that cannot take care of themselves

Also it can almost cause street fights. I have a friend in Luxor who gave to one boy and then was attacked and his money grabbed out of his hands by a dozen others. This is what it can lead to. The smallest boy who escaped with a note will only be beaten up and the money taken by the bigger boys. Please do not think noble thoughts about this because it does happen.

Please think carefully about what you give. Five Egyptian pounds might not seem much to you but it is probably as much as the child's father earns in a day. Why should the child ever consider working if he can make that much just by doing nothing except smile. When his smile is not enough he will turn to other things.

Egypt's youth is precious and should not be corrupted in this way.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very much agree with you LL it is wrong to give money to children in the street. I too have seen these fights break out both in Cairo and the Nubian villages. I remember having a major row with a tour guide about this, it is terrible the way the children for the Nubian villages decend on the tourists the minute they get off the boat..it is worse than a pack of dogs. The tour guides should collect the money and things people want to give and pass it direct to the head of the village for equal distribution and use in the school.

In Cairo we never give money to children on the street because as LL says you are teaching them a very bad lesson in life. They should be in school learning the things they need to know to make them decent human beings.

So please everybody you can actually make a difference by not giving them money...a pen or sweets yes...but nothing more.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akshar, I agree 100%!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
SAmia: I am confused. Do you mean you agree with Penny?
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Cairo last week my friend and I had a very funny experience.

We had gone to the Ramesis shopping centre.
When we came out there was a man and his two children begging.

They were making signs towards their mouths saying they were hungry, they were dirty and shabby looking, no shoes. We walked to the car and they followed,making signs towards their mouths.

Earlier my friend and I had been to a restaurant and as usual had been given to much food, we both have a small appetite. So with the chicken and salad we had left we made sandwiches with egyptian bread and tahina. Delicious. Thought they would be nice later for supper.

When we arrived at the car still being pursued by the clan, I said to my frien why not give them the sandwiches they are hungry.
So we offered them the sandwiches which they took in a very disgruntled manor. As we drove off they threw the sandwiches in the road, how ungrateful, but I could see the funny side of it.

The problem I find is that I want to give to all the old women and women with children.I feel so guilty when I go back to my lovely clean flat with my bags of food, I want to take them all with me, especially the dirty looking children who look up at you with their big brown sorrowful looking eyes.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megypt
Member # 5023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is, many of these kids are taken from orphanages and put to 'work' begging on the streets. These 'women in black' often do this, they are exploiting the kids. I remember there was a 4 year old girl working (begging) in the middle of heavy traffic. Everyday she was out there from morning until night. I finally had enough and approached the traffic cop in anger because he watched this everyday. One of the ladies in black said she was an orphan and indicated they did it for food. Well this lady was pretty hefty and I know that it would only cost a pound or two a day to feed such a small child. Basically this lady had 3 or 4 kids working that corner and was living off of it. I believe that these women in black claim a certain corner or intersection and it is almost mafia like.

If you worry about a child being hungry, by the kid some food rather than give them money. This still continues the cycle because it just means the woman in black doesn't have to feed the kid that day but at least you know they got something decent to eat.

Posts: 25 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
In Cairo I saw a woman with three scruffy children (and one on her hip) work the tables in a coffee shop that was frequented by Europeans. She came there every hour when the previous clients had left. In between she went to other cafes. Most of the tourists gave her five pounds or so. She was making far more each day than any working man could do. Just like the beggars on the underground in England. It can be a well paid job.

I give to those that are clearly deserving, the old and the disabled.

AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats a dollar?

A dollar is 6 LE, a family of 5 can eat off 6 LE for a whole week

1. It can buy a kilogram of fuul beans
2. with several slices of bread
3. a few cheap vegetables

nothing to me, but a lot to a starving family who may work all day long in the hot sun for 3 LE a day.

Now how have I blown a dollar, hmm let me think..
1. on lottery scratch tickets just for fun
2. on coffee, that I sipped, and threw the rest away
3. on junk I could have done without
4. tipping an undeserving waitress

I could go on, the point is, a dollar is not going to make me or break me, but it could go a long way for some. Unlike England or USA, its not on some bum who plans to use it on drugs or booze. I think if I'm blessed enough to blow a dollar, I can give it to a begging child without having to think of a lecture of what is this teaching a child. Here's an idea, ask them to shine your shoes, if you want to teach them to work, but usually beggars in poorer countries are hungry and desperate, not lazy drug addicts.

Penny In my opinion, I think you stepped very low to compare ANY kids to a pack of dogs. I was in complete shock reading it.

But then again, we're blessed westerners with money to blow, on everything else.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LL weren't you talking about how women from the UK are abusing your country's benefits system and coming to live in Egypt like they are middle class with their play boys.

Isn't it interesting how our government and tax payers blow money on low moral women like this, while countries like Egypt dont even have anything near a benefits system. I mean women can get social benefits for sitting on their lazy butts getting screwed while people work all day and dont get near as much.

Its amazing the money the west has to blow.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherNewMember:
LL weren't you talking about how women from the UK are abusing your country's benefits system and coming to live in Egypt like they are middle class with their play boys.

Isn't it interesting how our government and tax payers blow money on low moral women like this, while countries like Egypt dont even have anything near a benefits system. I mean women can get social benefits for sitting on their lazy butts getting screwed while people work all day and dont get near as much.

Its amazing the money the west has to blow.

AnotherNewMember, you like to talk and hear yourself, don't you?

If you are so concerned about if you should spend a dollar or not on someone or something then watch your own spending.

But if you are coming to a normal discussion board with a quite normal topic (I guess) and you can't find anything but attacking some other people than I guess I am just pressing my "ignore" button.

Simply stick to the subject. And if you can't remember the actual topic then check the first posting........

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherNewMember:
[B]Here's an idea, ask them to shine your shoes, if you want to teach them to work, but usually beggars in poorer countries are hungry and desperate, not lazy drug addicts.

(/B]

????????????????? Look to South America. There are many street children and adults who f. e. sniffing glue. Its cheap, gets them high and they might not live the following month........

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit that this is an issue I am still struggling to work out the best way to deal with, as I agree giving to people who are actively begging on the streets can encourage a dependency and discourage people from seeking work which may be less lucrative. However in a country with a possible 30% unemployment rate getting a job cannot be easy for many people, particularly if the they have little or no education or a bunch of kids to look after...no free workplace daycare centres here! Even if they can get work, can they earn enough to support a family? In Cairo I am often approached by road sweepers begging for money to supplement their income. (I have even heard that some people borrow road sweeper’s uniforms to go begging in!)

In an Islamic society this problem would be much reduced as everybody would be paying the zakah (obligatory annual charity “tax”) on their savings, gold, and other required items. (Some scholars say that due to the economic situation in Egypt that the nisab on savings should be that for silver rather than gold, and as that is less than 200LE...from what I remember...then I guess that a very large number of Muslims here should be paying it.) But it’s a sad fact that most people do not pay this, they pay the zakah fitrah (to be paid in Ramadan) which is only about 10LE, and either forget or don’t know about the other. There will always be people, particularly in developing countries, who for one reason or another cannot support themselves and will need help, which is one of the justifications for the zakah system.

I was told by Egyptian friends when I came here that they give 25/50 piasters to people who are begging or who look in need, as it is too easy to judge that a person could be cheating or being used by someone else to get an easy income and not do anything, but it might be that that person hasn’t eaten for a long time too and does actually need assisitance, and they didn’t want that on their conscience.

Just a note about the street kids. It’s easy to say that the children should be in school, but unless they have parents to register them and a home address I understand that they wouldn’t be admitted into school. The orphanages do take many kids, but many of them are so poorly funded that it’s not surprising some of them take to begging to get an income. I don’t know if you read this article when I posted it before, but this seemed an appropriate place to bring it up again.
http://www.streetchildren.org.uk/reports/Egypt%20Child.doc

“…With regard to the age of children on the streets, random NGO samples suggest that 13 years is the average. A quarter of the street child population is believed to be less than 12 years old, with two-thirds between 13 and 16 years old and only 10% over 17.

Factors pushing children onto the streets: The key factors pushing children onto the streets in Egypt are family break-up (divorce, separation, remarriage, and death), large family size, child abuse and neglect, low income and educational levels, unplanned rural-urban migration and children’s difficulties in coping with the formal school system, increasing the rate of drop-out.

Constraints and challenges: Legislation is a problem in that it still permits police to arrest children who are not suspected of crimes but who are ‘vulnerable to delinquency’. This hinders the work of NGOs by preventing children from reaching drop-in centres for rehabilitation. It is also very hard to obtain legal documents for the children such as birth certificates to allow them access to governmental facilities such as healthcare, school or vocational training.

The quality of education and training for social workers is very low and work with street children is not respected in society, which makes it difficult to find qualified or motivated staff. There is very little understanding of children’s needs among actors throughout the system, including police, judiciary and social workers.

There is a lack of cooperation between NGOs and government agencies, which has greatly reduced the range and quality of services available to street children, particularly in terms of alternative rehabilitative strategies such as fostering, which is still not recognised.

Finally, stigma and violence towards street children also hinders active community participation and motivation regarding sustainable rehabilitation programmes…”

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand by what I said Another New Member. My description was simply acurate. We are not talking about starving kids in these Nubian villages, they are making a good income from tourism by Egyptian standards. Maybe you haven't been there...try stepping off a boat as a visitor to their village and being decended on by a hoard of kids all trying to prize your hand open to see if you have any money.
Sorry but this is no way to greet tourists when you are dependant on them for your livelihood. The stupidity of it is that if they greeted the tourists in a courtious manner people would happily leave far more. Most of us were so disgusted we left little or nothing.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

If you are so concerned about if you should spend a dollar or not on someone or something then watch your own spending.

But if you are coming to a normal discussion board with a quite normal topic (I guess) and you can't find anything but attacking some other people than I guess I am just pressing my "ignore" button.

Simply stick to the subject. And if you can't remember the actual topic then check the first posting........

TL I remember the topic was should you give money to begging kids, and MY response was if you have money to "BLOW" then you have money to "GIVE", and if our government has wasteful spendings on people that ABUSE the benefits system then it won't kill us to give in countries that don't have these benefits. I think your use of "attack" in this case is quite overrated on this so-called "normal" board. And I will give my opinion whenever I please. If you don't like it then your IGNORE button (if you can find it), should suit you just fine!

Penny, no I never experienced a group of kids descending upon me in a manner of vicious dogs, so I guess I can't relate to it. However I have had some grown-up men approach me in a manner, that a few four legged creatures come to mind. Nevertheless we're all entitled to our opinions. I was just shocked, nothing more, nothing less.

AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

TL I remember the topic was should you give money to begging kids, and MY response was if you have money to "BLOW" then you have money to "GIVE", and if our government has wasteful spendings on people that ABUSE the benefits system then it won't kill us to give in countries that don't have these benefits. I think your use of "attack" in this case is quite overrated on this so-called "normal" board. And I will give my opinion whenever I please. If you don't like it then your IGNORE button (if you can find it), should suit you just fine!

Penny, no I never experienced a group of kids descending upon me in a manner of vicious dogs, so I guess I can't relate to it. However I have had some grown-up men approach me in a manner, that a few four legged creatures come to mind. Nevertheless we're all entitled to our opinions. I was just shocked, nothing more, nothing less.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com