EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » can i take my car to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can i take my car to Egypt
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for leaving the us     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am leaving the u.s and i would like to take my car with me, i heard if you put the car under your passport you do not have to pay taxes."is that true"
my car is 9 years old, is that ok or does it have to be 3 years or less.
please help

Posts: 23 | From: ny | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DazedAndConfused
Member # 5216

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for DazedAndConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leaving the us:
i heard if you put the car under your passport you do not have to pay taxes."is that true"

True, they never search under the passport for cars, only in the pockets

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslandSha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about bringing a car too. We are planning to bring a car as soon as we can make the arrangements. My big question is insurance? What type of insurance do we need? I know that our insurance we have currently does not cover in Egypt.
Posts: 25 | From: Christianstand, St. Croix | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was planning on bringing my car when I came to live here!! Believe me, it's a very very expensive business!! I didnt bother!! My car was a 2 year old jeep, and I had to sell it at a great loss bcs it was still cheaper than bringing it.
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
holo
Member # 4009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for holo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there r many q. u have to answer 1st :
1- r u egyptian or not ?
2- how long is the period u want to use the car at egypt ?
3- r u the first owner of the car or not ?
and there r fees to be paid deffers , depending on the answers of these q.
for further info , u can contact me at :
holo1111@yahoo.com

Posts: 63 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for leaving the us     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there r many q. u have to answer 1st :
1- r u egyptian or not ?
i am an egyptian and american, i was born in egypt and stayed till i was 15 now i am 31 and i want to leave the u.s, i have a 1994 nissan which i love and i do not want to leave behind.

2- how long is the period u want to use the car at egypt ?
long time

3- r u the first owner of the car or not ?
no i bought the car used about 5 years ago

and there r fees to be paid deffers , depending on the answers of these q.
for further info , u can contact me at :
holo1111@yahoo.com

i heard if you put the car under your passport you do not have to pay taxes."is that true" but you have to take the car to libea every year,
other wise i have to pay taxes which is going to be alot. "i might not be right about all this" please help

Posts: 23 | From: ny | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several ways to bring a car to Egypt. The one you are talking about where you have to take the car out of the country every 6 months is one way. It means leaving the car out of the country though for 6 months at a time too. I have friends that brought 2 cars over for that reason. They could alternate the cars in and out of storage. It is generally more hassle than it is worth. If you are going to stay, then pay the duty, get it over with (it's less now than it was a year ago) or buy a new/used car, if you really think driving in Egypt is something you want to do.

One thing to investigate (if I were you) is the ease of repairs to this make and model in Egypt. No sense bringing the car, even if you love it to death, if it is going to be expensive and or a nightmare to get parts for it.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for leaving the us     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Debbie.
i guess selling my car is the easy thing to do.
i agree with you, driving in cairo is a nightmare and i am not sure if i can do it.
thanks Debbie and i'll see you in two weeks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com