EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Gym in maadi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gym in maadi
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for leaving the us     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just found out that Gold Gym cost LE250 a month, that is kind of expensive for a gym in Egypt.
is that the going rate for a Gym membership or is there less expensive gym in maadi.

Posts: 23 | From: ny | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maadi_guy
Member # 3075

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maadi_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a normal price for gym at maadi.. and what u've to know is that Gold's gym dosen't accept monthly payment.. so u've to pay for at least 6 mothes.. as I konw.. but believe me u'll not find a cheaper one at Maadi.. I hope to be a member at it too but I've to save money first
quote:
Originally posted by leaving the us:
i just found out that Gold Gym cost LE250 a month, that is kind of expensive for a gym in Egypt.
is that the going rate for a Gym membership or is there less expensive gym in maadi.

Posts: 87 | From: Maadi, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for leaving the us     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks newman575
that is what I pay here in the us, I didn't expect to pay the same in Cairo.
so one month of membership is the same like 250 falafel sandwiches "I’ll take the falafel" after all that is why I am leaving the us.

Posts: 23 | From: ny | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bucket
Member # 5331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heard its full of faggots
Posts: 16 | From: london | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Compared to other gyms in the same category it's not expensive. I checked out a few gyms the past months and they were around 3500 to 4500 LE a year, around 650 LE a month if you don't subscribe longterm.

Don't live in Maadi but I heard that there are a few good gyms which are quite reasonably priced, CSA for example.

Anyway, I was a member of Gold's Gym on the nile for a year and I hated it in the end.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for leaving the us     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia
why did you hate it.

TheMark
Member # 5541

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheMark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get some info about wadi degla club: if i'm not wrong the price is almost the same, but there's a lot to do there, in addition to gym u have swimming pool, tennis, soccer, horseriding, running....

quote:

Posts: 23 | From: Milan-Italy, living in Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dalia
why did you hate it.

1) the music. Very loud, very aggressive. I used to wear earplugs, but even that didn't help much. Found myself feeling tense instead of relaxed after a workout.

2) The people. Too many AUC type girls just showing off their latest sportswear and acting inconsiderate in the locker room.

2) The aircondition. Going there in summer is quite suffocating.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara the miserable
Member # 5571

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sara the miserable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salamalekum, dear..?
There is a nice gym in Zahraa El Maadi.
Monthly 40 Pounds.
Have a nice time, and do not forget to read a book about islam...you will like it...i promise!
Sara

Posts: 83 | From: Zahraa El Maadi, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeeka
Member # 5516

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeeka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I know a few GYM's in Maadi, if you would like, I can meet with you and show you around, please email me @ hzeeka@yahoo.ca

quote:

Posts: 252 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband used to go daily to the Gold's gym in Maadi while living there. He never complained ........ and so didn't I.

The best thing is to check out couple of gyms and decide on an affordable one. But also here - the cheaper is not necessarily the better. Good luck and enjoy your workouts!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 18 October 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks newman575
that is what I pay here in the us, I didn't expect to pay the same in Cairo.
so one month of membership is the same like 250 falafel sandwiches "I’ll take the falafel" after all that is why I am leaving the us.

Well if you doing that than you really have to join a Gym............

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
all I am going to do the first month is eat all the good food I been missing for 14 years. "falafel, shawrma, kofta".
Then I will join a gym.

I am already a member at maadi club “free” but they do not have any good weight lifting machines, the pool and the other stuff is good but the machines are a joke, so I just need to join a gym for working out only, every thing else that Gold gym offers I have at maadi club.

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The most famous two Gym in Egypt is :-
1- GOld's Gym ( Giza & maadi )
2- Samya Alloba (Maadi & manyother but i don't know where)

other Gyms is nearly equal in machines and what it offers.

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
My husband used to go daily to the Gold's gym in Maadi while living there. He never complained

Maybe he loves Techno music and AUC babes ...

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[b]My husband used to go daily to the Gold's gym in Maadi while living there. He never complained

Maybe he loves Techno music and AUC babes ...

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hm, Dalia, let me think ........ na, at this time he was a big fan of Sarah MacLachlan. You know the Canadian singer, she's playing the piano and almost all her songs sound like what people playing at funerals (sind aber keine "Grufti"-Lieder)!

About the AUC girlies ........ after all when I think back he was always very exhausted when returning home. Hm, let me check on this and I'll get back with you!

lemonspice
Member # 5667

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lemonspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,i'll tell u what i know about maadi gyms,since i had to do sort of a 'resaerch' about them recently(!) The csa is an excellent place where they have a gym,small but effective!(4 rd21)with a good price,270le/month.As far as i know,they got brand new spinning bikes recently,&they got friendly fitness classes too.The maadi hotel(55 misr helwan rd) has a health club on the roof,i must say that the gym's terrible,but the pool-on roof-with great nile view-is quite nice actually-and its 20 le for day use!And ofcourse creative dance& fitness centre(13b rd 254,degla-opp CAC)250/month. Let me tell u that gold's gym cannot be 250le,its definitely more,plus u cant join for less than3/moths.it is definitely turned into a 'dress to impress' place,so look around before u decide.Hope i was of some help. If anyone's intersted in more about gyms around,u can always ask!
Posts: 604 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leaving the us
Member # 5309

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for leaving the us     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks every one.
After what Dalia is saying about Gold Gym, I have no choice but to go there. LOL

maadi_guy
Member # 3075

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for maadi_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can u tell me where's it exactly? or do u have a telephon number for it?

quote:
Originally posted by Sara the miserable:
Salamalekum, dear..?
There is a nice gym in Zahraa El Maadi.
Monthly 40 Pounds.
Have a nice time, and do not forget to read a book about islam...you will like it...i promise!
Sara

Posts: 87 | From: Maadi, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's in the mainstreet, just go there and ask the people, then you will find it, inschaallah.

By the way, the Wadi degla Club is too expensive, takes a sign-in fee of about 35ooo Pounds and a yearly fee of 2500 Pounds. Poeple say so, don't know if it is true.

Good luck

Sara

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aussiemat
Member # 6132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aussiemat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which gyms are good near downtown must be aircon and have good weights
Posts: 70 | From: australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maadi_guy
Member # 3075

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maadi_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by germansara:
It's in the mainstreet, just go there and ask the people, then you will find it, inschaallah.

By the way, the Wadi degla Club is too expensive, takes a sign-in fee of about 35ooo Pounds and a yearly fee of 2500 Pounds. Poeple say so, don't know if it is true.

Good luck

Sara

maadi_guy
Member # 3075

Rate Member
where exactly I couldn't find it..?
quote:
Originally posted by germansara:

Good luck

Sara

superman45
Member # 7311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for superman45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to attend AUC pretty soon. I'm pretty serious about weight lifting. Which gym has a combination of good free weights and a good price. Will I be able to do it for less than 300LE a month?

And what about finding supplements in Cairo? Will I be able to find Creatine and Protein powders?

How does everyone else get their daily supply of protein?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by superman45:
How does everyone else get their daily supply of protein?

Foul, lentils, feta cheese ...

superman45
Member # 7311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for superman45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by superman45:
[b]How does everyone else get their daily supply of protein?

Foul, lentils, feta cheese ...

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, beans are always good. But too much fiber in my diet backs me up.

Will I be able find canned tuna?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:

Will I be able find canned tuna?

Yes, even the smallest stores usually carry it.

superman45
Member # 7311

Rate Member
quote:

Yes, even the smallest stores usually carry it.

Great, thanks. I really appreciate your help, Dalia.

Do you also happen to know of any other weight lifting gyms near the AUC campus and what the yearly membership cost? I'm not interested in pools and tennis courts and all the extra ammenities. I just need some weights and a treadmill for my cardio.

Thanks again for your help.

[This message has been edited by superman45 (edited 17 April 2005).]

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:

I just need some weights and a treadmill for my cardio.

That's exactly what I was looking for when I first came here and I didn't want to pay for pool, sauna and all the stuff I won't use ...

Unfortunately I don't know of anything downtown, there are several places in Zamalek and Mohandessen, though. I will update you if I hear of anything. Good luck!

superman45
Member # 7311

Rate Member
quote:
I will update you if I hear of anything. Good luck!

Ok, great. Thanks! I hope something turns up or I'll end up using Gold's Gym. How much was the membership at the one you went to on the Nile? I looked at a map and it seems reasonably close to AUC, like under 2km or so.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
How much was the membership at the one you went to on the Nile? I looked at a map and it seems reasonably close to AUC, like under 2km or so.

Yes, it's a five to ten minute taxi ride from Tahrir, depending on the traffic.

I don't know how much I payed, I got a company discount, plus I think they raised their rates. It should be around three- to four thousand LE per year.

But, as I mentioned before, I really can't recommend it. Plus there are many new gyms that opened during the last year and they have better equipment than Gold's for a similar price ... and a functioning aircondition ...

superman45
Member # 7311

Rate Member
quote:
But, as I mentioned before, I really can't recommend it. Plus there are many new gyms that opened during the last year and they have better equipment than Gold's for a similar price ... and a functioning aircondition ...

Yeah, Gold's Gym staff seem to hate cool air, no matter which country you're in. And not to mention the sweet smell of urine in the locker rooms.

Are any of these other weight lifting gyms within walking distance to AUC? If so, I'm thinking that maybe I could just find an apartment in that area and then be able to walk to AUC and the gym.

I think a lot of people agree with you about the annoying blasting Arabic music in Gold's. Someone else was saying the same thing on another forum.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, Gold's Gym staff seem to hate cool air, no matter which country you're in. And not to mention the sweet smell of urine in the locker rooms.

To be fair, I think it's not their fault. The gym is on a boat (the same boat that hosts Dr. Ragab's papyrus museum) and has windows from floor to ceiling. So in summer and if the gym is full of people the a/c just doesn't make it.

Showers and locker rooms are very clean, though.

quote:

I think a lot of people agree with you about the annoying blasting Arabic music in Gold's. Someone else was saying the same thing on another forum.

If it was at least Arabic music I wouldn't mind that much. But what they seem to play in every gym here is really really aggressive techno music. Plus they don't seem to have a big selection and play the same CDs over and over again.

germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newman575:
where exactly I couldn't find it..?

---------------------------

Ohh, sorry, didn't read this earlier..

From Maadie's El Arab coming you cross the Satellit-field, turn right, then left direction Zahraa El Maadi.
You will find one already in the nerco area on this big street after about 500 metre on the right side. I think it's name is 'Sports-line'.

Good luck

Sara

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superman45
Member # 7311

Rate Member
quote:
Showers and locker rooms are very clean, though.

That's always a good thing. Gold's Gym is a pretty good franchise. (And they have cool shirts.)

jngah
Member # 8244

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jngah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately I don't know of anything downtown, there are several places in Zamalek and Mohandessen, though. I will update you if I hear of anything. Good luck!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi,

I'm new in Cairo and living in Zamalek for 5-6 months. Looking for a simple gym (weights & bicycle maybe for cardio) in the Zamalek area. You said you knew of some? Any help would be much appreciated. Also - if you know how much it costs, pls tell.

THANKS!

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soum
Member # 4840

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI there

there is another center : samia allouba center it is about 220 EGP per month and you can pay monthly basis , it in degla area tel. 5196575

Posts: 62 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiko
Member # 10895

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check grand hayat, though I think it will be more expensive than Gold's Gym
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com