EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Social interactions in the Metro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Social interactions in the Metro
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am writing a paper for one of my classes on Social Interactions in the Metro (in Cairo). What are your impressions? What have you observed? Any anecdotes or stories to relate? You might describe behaviour that is puzzling to you, annoying/appreicated, things that you dont understand and/or your analysis. Whatever.
If you reply to this topic I might quote you in my paper which will NOT be published. thanks.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queueing to enter a metro car is a totally alien concept to many Cairenes. As soon as the doors open, crowds on the platform surge forward preventing those who wish to alight from getting out. I've seen more than my fair share of curses and clenched fists being exchanged from disgruntled passengers - and that was just the women!

I remember reading something regarding queueing as a phenomenon in general which I found interesting. The author argued that lining up in an orderly fashion hasn't really caught on in places where there has traditionally been a culture of poverty and deprivation. Therefore, clawing for everthing you can get, at every available opportunity, is understandably more accepted. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by timbuctoo (edited 28 October 2004).]

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think many people enjoy breaking rules here. there are rules about which doors you use to get out and which you use to get in Metro but never met anyone who cares and I myself didn't notice those rules untill very recently though they have been there written inside the Metro for long time. May be the pressure people live under is one factor of why people feel like doing something they can show there objections and rebele to those kind of pressures (like economic,political and traditional pressures..etc)
Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
Hello, I am writing a paper for one of my classes on Social Interactions in the Metro (in Cairo). What are your impressions? What have you observed? Any anecdotes or stories to relate? You might describe behaviour that is puzzling to you, annoying/appreicated, things that you dont understand and/or your analysis. Whatever.
If you reply to this topic I might quote you in my paper which will NOT be published. thanks.

Sometimes it's amusing to just sit in Metro and enjoy observing the language people show silently. there alot of conversations happen in a silent way. You get to see a man sneaking around woman sometimes she would show a sign of admiration and another would give cold shoulder, more than that you can see more than one man trying to get a woman through looks. I think we Egyptians are very easily to be read by face, you know which one has troubles at home or work, who is happy and who is worried about something. it's a big silent life under there.

One more think you will relaize is how some women don't like the company of other women, they would leave the cars made specially for women which sometimes has more space and prefer not to be surrounded by many women. It could be because they feel they will find a place to sit at easily as men will sometimes stand up for them or they don't like the noise women do when they re together, ..they talk too much or they could be just looking or or or...

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 29 October 2004).]

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timbuctoo:
Queueing to enter a metro car is a totally alien concept to many Cairenes. As soon as the doors open, crowds on the platform surge forward preventing those who wish to alight from getting out. I've seen more than my fair share of curses and clenched fists being exchanged from disgruntled passengers - and that was just the women!

I remember reading something regarding queueing as a phenomenon in general which I found interesting. The author argued that lining up in an orderly fashion hasn't really caught on in places where there has traditionally been a culture of poverty and deprivation. Therefore, clawing for everthing you can get, at every available opportunity, is understandably more accepted. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by timbuctoo (edited 28 October 2004).]

Just a comment regarding the queueing theory.
If you have ever stood in a queue for a ski lift sourounded by Germans or Italians you would know it is certainly not just the poorer nations that do not queue

Egyptians certainly love to break the rules.
I find it impossible to drive with my husband in the car. His idea of 'take your rights' is somewhat different to mine and my nerves are not up to the Egyptian way of driving. Has anyone ever seen a learner driver on the road under instruction?? how exactly do they learn to drive?

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com