EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Nile Cycling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nile Cycling
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didnt you guys start a topic about cycling the Nile? Well, I was noseying around the net and I found this..... thought you might be interested
http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__district/keighley/news/KEIG_NEWS5.html

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this article. It is a shame that the report is so negative. I think that the comment towards the end saying that the women were not prepared for the trip was reasonable. You cannot prepare yourself for cycling in Egypt's heat while you live in Yorkshire.

Upset tummy's are common among tourists because they tend to stick to foods they know and they have been pre-prepared whereas if the ate freshly cooked Egyptian food, they would be OK.

The stone throwing children are a fact of life in Egypt. Discipline is unfortunately lax and a group of women riding bikes would be a prime target. I doubt that this was a frequent occurrence though. Children shout and ask for backsheesh and will sometimes grab hold of the back of the bike to be pulled along but I have never witnessed anyone ever trying to push a cyclist off their bike. I think that the women involved probably panicked and wobbled on their bikes rather than the children pushing them off them.

It is sad they did not finish the ride because of ill-health. But as the man said, it was a challenge not a holiday. Any challenge takes a lot of preparation. It seems here that the preparation was lacking.

I ride my bike a lot in Egypt but I have yet to see an Egyptian woman on a bike in southern Egypt.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Didnt you guys start a topic about cycling the Nile? Well, I was noseying around the net and I found this..... thought you might be interested
http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__district/keighley/news/KEIG_NEWS5.html

Thanks Shareen for this. Yes I was interested in trying to organise something. My thought was that it should be in the cooler months but you still can't be sure these days that the temperature would not suddenly shoot up.
Preparation is always going to be the key to these challenges ..they are not holidays.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nephew who is a sports manager recently completed a cycle ride for disabilty sport.

He cycled from John O'Groats to Lands end in 10 days. He encountered gales, rain, accidents,aching limbs,chills everything you can imagine. 20 started the bike ride and only him and one other finished.It was a total of about 900 miles.

He raised over 5000 pounds for his charity.

He could not walk for a week afterwards, but he said every single mile was worth it, to see the smile on the faces of the children he raised the money for,they would be going on holiday,made him forget all the pain he endured.

What a wonderful young man.

So how about it,we would only have to cycle a few miles a day,not ninety!

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the difference, we do not have to make it an ordeal. The ones that get there first can get the cold drinks ready for when the Tail-End-Charlies (me) arrive. There are orphanges and other good causes in Egypt that I am sure people in the UK would give support to.

One ood thing about the Nile basin is that for much of the time it is fairly flat and you are not going to get rained on.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com