EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » clueless about diving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: clueless about diving
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I want to know where is a cheap place to learn how to dive in red sea area (I heard Dahab is very cheap?) How much should I expect to pay to get the certificate and how long does it take? Any general or specific info you can give me about diving is welcome!

[This message has been edited by annie_81 (edited 05 November 2004).]

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can I dive in january? is it cheaper to take a course during the low season?
Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
can I dive in january? is it cheaper to take a course during the low season?

Annie maybe Samia will be around later to tell you a bit more than I. I dive in Sharm and yes I believe Dahab is a bit cheaper but there is a great deal of competition and now prices are about the same everywhere. You can certainly dive in January but there is no high or low season for diving ..prices are the same year round. Please don't think about diving without getting the proper certifates first..this is your life we are talking about...and you need to be properly trained. The best advice would be to get hold of the PADI course book now and start learning all the theory before you turn up to dive, then you can just concentrate on the prcatical classes. I can recommed dive schools in Sharm but sorry can't help with Dahab. As you are living in Cairo and a student It would be worth asking for a discount.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you're an auc student, then you should check with your school. i believe they contract wt a diving school for a certain number of interested students and so can offer their students a lower rate than most other places. you'd take your classes in cairo (they're usually 2 nights, 3-4 hrs each but very easy to sit through as you mainly watch cheesy PADI videos) and then either than pool test in cairo or in sharm/dahab and the final open water also in sharm/dahab. i think they price it as an entire package including the cost of traveling/staying in sharm or dahab and the equipment.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie, if you want to learn to dive.. the Red Sea is the best place in the world to do it!!
Beautiful reefs.... millions of fish, and one of the cheapest places in the world too!!
prices.... you can find many cheap divibg centres in Hurghada, but, honestly... you get what you pay for!! A centre that offers you courses too cheaply is probably skimping on safety!!
At the dive centre where I work, you can expect to pay around 300 Euros for a 4 day open Water course... this is including your certification. Once you have this certification, you can dive anywhere in the world.
Forget learning in Cairo.... come straight to the Red Sea!
It's no cheaper in january than any other time... just maybe less busy!!
If you want more info... feel free to get in touch.. I can give you some recommendations!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com