EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » going to the airport

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: going to the airport
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is El Marg metro station the closest one to the airport? How much is a taxi from there?

Im going to pick up a friend. How much should I pay for the taxi ride back to Maadi? 60 LE (assuming we will be 3 foreigners with bagage handling)?
Should I bargain the price at the airport or do as usually, and just pay the fair price once I arrive?

------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did that once before, but i rode all the way to saray el kobba, i think that was too much, but being totally ignorant of helipolis i figured that was where heliopolis is. El marg is too far...I think Saray el kobba is better. I took a cab from there but i paid 40LE and this was in 1999. So i think a taxi back to maadi will cost quite a bit, more than 60 I would say. But definitely try to bargain.
Hope this helps

quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
Is El Marg metro station the closest one to the airport? How much is a taxi from there?

Im going to pick up a friend. How much should I pay for the taxi ride back to Maadi? 60 LE (assuming we will be 3 foreigners with bagage handling)?
Should I bargain the price at the airport or do as usually, and just pay the fair price once I arrive?

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMWBOY
Member # 5795

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for BMWBOY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well annie_81, "El Marg" metro station is far from the airport... i think you're located at "El Maadi" as i see from your posts, so the best way is "The Ring Road".
Take a taxi to go there and the way back, just 40 minutes away.
To be honest with you, because you're a foreigner and also your friends so the taxi cap will try to get as more as he can!!
But i'll tell what you do take the cap from el maadi to the airport, try to get the cap number secretly (ex. Taxi Cai 000000) then pay just 45LE or 50LE. If the driver want to argue don't pay attention and go, if he tried to to yell, go to any police officer, he will do the rest... also the way back.

TRY IT AND WAITING YOUR RESPONSE

BMWBOY

Posts: 10 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BMWBOY:
try to get the cap number secretly (ex. Taxi Cai 000000) then pay just 45LE or 50LE. If the driver want to argue don't pay attention and go, if he tried to to yell, go to any police officer, he will do the rest... also the way back.

TRY IT AND WAITING YOUR RESPONSE

[b]BMWBOY[/B]

I think this is a very silly way to deceive the driver ...I think it's a deal so , u settle it with the driver before u launch and either both of u accept it or refuse...the last time I took a taxi from Maadi to the airport and back to Maadi I paid 80 L.E besides the 5 pounds ticket.

[This message has been edited by egy_prince (edited 24 November 2004).]

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Find a taxi driver who agrees with you on a reasonable price. And as said before take the taxi from Maadi because the other guys at the airport would rip you off big time.

I definitely recommend that you get a taxi because your friends will be already culture-shocked just from looking out of the cab window.

Hope your friends will have a wonderful und unforgetable stay!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 24 November 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for you replies but...
Im not gonna take a taxi from Maadi and back!! thats crazy, way to much money!

to go: metro to Saray el kobba and then from this station to the airport, how much?? with 40 LE I know I can go to Tahrir from the airport so it shouldnt be more than 20, right?

Airport to Maadi: the limousine they have there charge 60 LE to go to Tahrir thats why I figured that 60 LE is a fair price for a regular taxi for Maadi. isnt it?
Considering that you can hire a taxi for a full day for about 100 Le...

damn taxis! and Egy_prince says he went from maadi to the airport and back to maadi with 80!! I better improve my arabic before next month!!

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

to go: metro to Saray el kobba and then from this station to the airport, how much?? with 40 LE I know I can go to Tahrir from the airport so it shouldnt be more than 20, right?

Airport to Maadi: the limousine they have there charge 60 LE to go to Tahrir thats why I figured that 60 LE is a fair price for a regular taxi for Maadi. isnt it?

damn taxis! and Egy_prince says he went from maadi to the airport and back to maadi with 80!! I better improve my arabic before next month!!

I think there is an air conditioned buss that go to airport and i think u can find it in Sakr Qurieiah which almost locate beside maadi and also u can find it Tahrir and it only cost u 2 or 3 pound per person and they call it CTA . i use it one or two times while my car was damaged but it is good anyway

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think there is an air conditioned buss that go to airport and i think u can find it in Sakr Qurieiah which almost locate beside maadi and also u can find it Tahrir and it only cost u 2 or 3 pound per person and they call it CTA . i use it one or two times while my car was damaged but it is good anyway

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Airport to Maadi it costs 50LE (Maadi to the Airport is the same), i never pay more than that although they do ask for more. I have also never had to pay the 5LE entrance ticket.... the driver should include that in the cost of the journey! Otherwise you pay the driver 45LE and pay the entrance cost yourself.

If you want a guaranteed price then contact this company http://www.thebluecab.com/2.html
a friend of mine used them before and they were on time, clean and no hassle. Should be about 50LE also.

Good Luck

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie, you find taxi drivers like this and like that.

Don't start discussing with them. Go off to the next taxi cab. Go for someone who seems not greedy.

You know what worked sometimes too for me? I just walked off and they would scream after me that they price would be okay. Try it......

Did I mention that couple of times the taxi drivers didn't want to get a fare at all from me? They were just happy to serve me. It was kind of strange and of course I still payed them.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Annie, you find taxi drivers like this and like that.

Don't start discussing with them. Go off to the next taxi cab. Go for someone who seems not greedy.

You know what worked sometimes too for me? I just walked off and they would scream after me that they price would be okay. Try it......

right

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MohdAnwar:
right

What you mean? You don't believe me? Well, sometimes its good to be a female and foreigner in Egypt........

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
What you mean? You don't believe me? Well, sometimes its good to be a female and foreigner in Egypt........

I am serious u are right, i ensure u and i beleive u. and not just cause u are forginer or cause u are female but it happend with all ppl once the price is above 10 pound. they just trying with u to get what they can from u

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
I am serious u are right, i ensure u and i beleive u. and not just cause u are forginer or cause u are female but it happend with all ppl once the price is above 10 pound. they just trying with u to get what they can from u

What 10 pounds? I still pay from Zamalek to Mohandseen 3 pounds. Thats still fair, right? I mean they see a difference between an Egyptian and a foreigner and accordingly to that requesting a different fare.

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
What 10 pounds? I still pay from Zamalek to Mohandseen 3 pounds. Thats still fair, right? I mean they see a difference between an Egyptian and a foreigner and accordingly to that requesting a different fare.

:d :d u are so clever , better to not deal with u in a businees

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

:d :d u are so clever , better to not deal with u in a businees

How much would you pay a taxi driver for the same distance? Or do you prefer the microbus?

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
How much would you pay a taxi driver for the same distance? Or do you prefer the microbus?

Before i buy my car since 4 years i always never pay less than 3.5 L.E in any distance like that (u could say it is a mimum charge for me)

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hey, Annie, just had a great idea:

You must know people who have a car. Any friends around who own a car? Great, they will do it for you as a favor or you just give some gas money in return.

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:

Hey, Annie, just had a great idea:

You must know people who have a car. Any friends around who own a car? Great, they will do it for you as a favor or you just give some gas money in return.

If he is Egyptian , an advise don't tell him or her to take the gas money.
another idea if u have a driving license u can rent a small car and it could be less than 60 L.E. if it is a small car and it will be with u all the day

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No it's not fair unless you are making LE600 a month yourself.

I wouldn't pay less than LE5 and if we're stuck on the bridge for 1/2 an hour, you better believe I'll give him LE10 (and be grateful he accepted to take me there knowing there would be heavy traffic).

Really, there's being fair and then there's just being cheap.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 24 November 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, thanks for the tips. Ill try to find that bus and not get ripped of my the taxi on the way back!

and NO, I do not have friends with cars and I do not have a driving license. If I did I would not dare dying on my way to the airport anyway, my firend wouldnt enjoy her stay very much...

Zeeka
Member # 5516

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeeka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have sent you an email on this
Posts: 252 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com