EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Facts about safety in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Facts about safety in Egypt
ah_farrag
Member # 4717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ah_farrag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt has, and continues to be one of the friendliest nations in the world to visit. For everyone, it has always seemed that even the most average Egyptian is, by nature, a gracious host. We often use the example of walking down a side street in Cairo with a camera and being met by an Egyptian. He will greet you with "welcome", and a warm smile, making you feel that the words were not just said, but meant. This has happened to a tourist on many occasions, in a city of more than16 million people, but could you imagine a similar occurrence in the much smaller city of New York, or even smaller Miami?
Today, Egypt is a very safe tourist haven for many different reasons. First of all, there is the crime rate, which is virtually zero in Egypt. Traveling around in the US, and many other western nations, a tourist most likely threat is from criminals, and indeed, many tourists have and continue to be subjected to violent criminal problems in western tourist destinations. But crime is not a real problem in Egypt, and the likelihood of a tourist in Egypt coming into contact with this threat hardly exists at all.
The second reason tourists are so safe in Egypt is simply because the government exerts a high priority on their safety. Unlike many western nations, tourism is one of the top economic contributors to the Egyptian economy, and as such, the government of Egypt takes many steps to ensure that tourists have a safe and enjoyable visit.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Egypt is more and more a modern member of the world community. Not just the country, or the government, but the people themselves. Many if not most of the people that tourists come into contact with are well educated and even sophisticated by world standards. Upon their first visit to Egypt, most tourists will be surprised by the number of cell phones, the modern dress, the new automobiles and the amount of western media and interaction to be found everywhere. In other words, Egypt is not, and doesn't seem so far away from home

Posts: 674 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been visiting egypt for the last 10 years and never had any problems
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great post. i have to add that while the verbal harrassment on the street a young female encounters does frustrate one (almost to tears on a particularly vile day) - in no other capital in the world have i had the luxury of walking down a low-lit street at 3am and not have to worry about my safety.

one of cairo's hidden luxuries is not having to clutch your purse under your arm and knowing if you ever yell back at whoever you troubling you, a small crowd of passerby's will appear at a moment's notice, ready to interfere and defend you as needed.

indeed, the one comment i hear over and over again from people who know me is their surprise at what they deem are my generous offers of hospitality. a trait which has blossomed in me as a direct result of having lived among egyptians.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya@hotmail.com
Member # 5853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find what AhFarag says about the friendly Egyptians who just love to approach tourists. However, in my experience such friendly approaches always end up as financial in some way or another. Either they want to take you to see the sites of antiquity, or show you to some hotel disco (where the tourist of course does all the paying) or they want to invite you home and make a personal friend of you for life. Since they are always comparitively poor (the rich people are not so inclined to approach strangers in the street to say "hello") the chances are you will be exploited for your money. Of course this doesnt happen only in Egypt, you find it in all economically deprived countries.

As I always choose my friends as to whether they are a plus (to me) or a minus, consequently I dont have any "friends" who need my money. My friends are genuine ones.

I am prepared to guarantee that ANYONE who simply approaches another on the street, first of all has no respect whatsoever for that persons right to privacy and right to walk about hassel-free, and secondly they are on the make. Why else would they simply walk up to one if they werent after something?

Charlie

Posts: 431 | From: luxor egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just you and your pessimistic outlook. Or Luxor and the lack of an alternative means of making a living (other than agriculture and tourism-related).

I've met a lot of hospitable Egyptians who don't want anything in return. If you ever go to Cairo, just go to any middle class neighborhood. Stand in the middle of the street and look confused. Instantly you will have people offering to help you out, wondering if you are lost. And usually they ones that approach you are young girls who know a bit of english with their smiling mom behind them.

So what are you prepared to 'guarantee' me, exactly?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
[B]great post. i have to add that while the verbal harrassment on the street a young female encounters does frustrate one (almost to tears on a particularly vile day) -

Somehow I never had a bad experience with this, I was called nice names, but surely these are not harrassing?
Come on, if someman shouted hay pretty, I would be over the moon, not get into tears?
I do enjoy walking the streets of Cairo when home.
Here in London, no body gived a damn about anybody else- they call it civilisation..!

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salama:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
[B]great post. i have to add that while the verbal harrassment on the street a young female encounters does frustrate one (almost to tears on a particularly vile day) -

Somehow I never had a bad experience with this, I was called nice names, but surely these are not harrassing?
Come on, if someman shouted hay pretty, I would be over the moon, not get into tears?
I do enjoy walking the streets of Cairo when home.
Here in London, no body gives a damn about anybody else- they call it civilisation..!

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacia
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The verbal harrassment is ridiculous. It's bad manners and totally RUDE!!!
Posts: 190 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, friendliness "with strings attached" diminishes exponentially the further away you get from Tahrir Square!

However, in the non-touristed areas of the city, it never ceases to amaze me how genuinely hospitable the people one meets randomly on the street are. It takes a bit of getting used to for someone accustomed to the "walking-zombie-syndrome" we have in the indifferent West. In Cairo, people actually look you in the eye when they speak to you and take the time to converse.

Crime-wise, no other city of its size, save perhaps Tokyo, is as safe as Cairo. It's a miracle that pandemonium doesn't break out considering the daily hardships that many Egyptians have to endure in such a hopelessly crowded city. It's a credit to the strong-binding social networks that Egyptians still enjoy that prevents them from strangling each other in frustration!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya@hotmail.com
Member # 5853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant say too much about Cairo, but certainly in Luxor, the biggest mistake anyone can make is to "look lost". Just to demonstrate this point when I was with a couple of tourists I did this to show them just what they were up against. I was standing outside of McDonalds with my friends "looking lost". We were besieged with Calesh drivers to take us back to the Emilio Hotel (3OO yards away) Well, we got there eventually via Karnak temple and he wanted l2O egyptian. This is not a one off, this happens all the time, its all just a big con to rip the tourist off. If you stand still in the bazaar for more than 2 minutes, theyll have your shoes off. Charlie
Posts: 431 | From: luxor egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warda_rosie
Member # 2509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warda_rosie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even people hassle tourists they are just trying to make their living (one way or another)... too many mouths to feed.
i've been guiding lots of groups and they tell me it's annoying to get hassled but nothing more. they do not feel mistreated or insulted by any egyptian. i always say they treat you with the respect you give to them. in some cases that's half true i mean when these "charming valentinos" are trying to get ladies attention.

Posts: 34 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya@hotmail.com
Member # 5853

Rate Member
Dear Warda Rosi, People guided in groups are far less vulnerable than individuals or couples out on their own in the town. I am referring here to Luxor. I know many people, some of them my own friends in fact, who do not come to Egypt because of street hassle. One friend only stayed for 2 days because of the rudness he met on the streets from Calesh drivers who just will not take "no" for an answer. This level of hassle seems peculiar to Luxor. I didnt find it in Hurgarda, or even in Cairo. If things really are as rosy as the picture you paint, then why are tour operators in the hotels always advising people not to book their own trips to temples etc or "go it alone" The simple fact is the inexperienced traveller to Egypt is not free to do as he or she pleases, or enjoy their holiday in peace.
Charlie.

warda_rosie
Member # 2509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warda_rosie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
people do not go around city as a group. they do go to souk on their own and also other places. reps, guides or tourleaders don't take them to everywhere and it would be stupid to do so. i've been living in luxor 5 yrs and i know about hassle and about galesh drivers and felucca guys... best medicine is to act like you are blind and deaf if galesh driver is after you some people get angry while visiting luxor and some don't. i don't think they should take it too seriously as they are only on their 1 or 2 week holiday. there is always a possibility to stay at hotel if it's too much for them and go out only with group, like you said.
Posts: 34 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com