EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Can we?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can we?
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told that unless you hold Egyptian Citizenship, you cannot buy and own a car.

Is this correct?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:
I have been told that unless you hold Egyptian Citizenship, you cannot buy and own a car.

Is this correct?

I think yes cause the problem come when u make registration steps. it need u to go to traffic authority and they will need your Egyptian ID to make a license for the car to could have a number for it.

I am not so sure but u could check in traffic authority.

Best Regards to u

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply and help. Very much appreciated.

Have a good day from sunny and beautiful Hurghada.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJKeefy™:   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Bought A MotorBike And Had No Problem, The Only Thing That Confused The Traffic Police When I Went For The License For The Bike To My Name, Was I Only Have 1 Forname And My Surname, They Wanted 3 Names. hehehehehehe. But Still Waiting For The Licence For The Bike, But All The Paper Work is There. Seen A Few Tourists At The Traffic police Changing The Bike/Car To There Name. Dont Change it in Luxor Its Hell, Queueing All Day And Maybe Back And Forth For 3 Days, Unless You Know Someone To Give The Usual Money Under The Table.

Posts: 137 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for your reply and help. Very much appreciated.

Have a good day from sunny and beautiful Hurghada.

this numbers u can call it .it is the Internal ministry ( one of its responsilblities are traffic and cars)
this number is for complaining but i think u can ask them

7957500 - 7953981 - 7955005
this number in Cairo if u are out of cairo call 02 as a code

this site is usefull for any help it is the ministeris electronic sites
http://www.idsc.gov.eg/Idsc%5FEnglish/

and the next link is some of the services that internal ministry do it but u have to have some to translate in this services
http://www.alhokoma.gov.eg/service_sector_services.asp?SectorID=14

hope u enjoy your life in Egypt

[This message has been edited by MohdAnwar (edited 22 December 2004).]

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens if you hire a car or rent one of somebody? Do you need any special papers? I want to rent one for a few days but will I get stopped every 5 mins by the police?
Posts: 260 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Semsema, Will ask around for you. I am wondering though if you will need an International Driving Licence? Looks as though I will have to contact DJ in case I decide to have my Honda Fireblade sent over! Charlie
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJKeefy™:   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehehehe U Got A Honda Fireblade, I have A Honda CBR 600FV In The UK. No Point In Fetching It Over There`s 100% Tax Of What the Bike Is Worth. U Can Drive On your UK Licence.

Posts: 137 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
You are all so good to try and help me.

99% sure there will be no problem in buying a car. Apparently if stopped by the police here in Hurghada, you can literally show them your 'loyalty card' from Sainsbury's and they will accept it. But knowing my luck, I will be the one to get caught so want to make sure everything is in order before buying the car.

Thanks to you all again.

Love from beautiful, sunny Hurghada.

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Thanks to you all for helping.

Just wanted to check that I was doing everything properly cos knowing me, I would be the one who would get caught.

As for the driving licence that is good to know. I thought I would have to get mine changed here.

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Well Semsema - They Accepted My UK Driving Licence At The Traffic Police OK. And When Ive Been Stopped Before, They Have Accepted my Licence.

Anyway Our Driving Licence from The UK Is 1 Million Times More Cred Than An Egyptian One, I Dont know 1 Egyptian Who Can Drive Properly And As Safety For The Road, Like We Are Taught In The UK.

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
I know what you mean DJ. You should see it here. I have a feeling I will be the only idiot on the road using indicators when I want to make a turn.

I really am wondering if it is worth it, but we feel so isolated here and there are so many wonderful beaches out of town that it would be good to visit them.

Are you sure you have to pass a driving test here? I am not convinced. Almost positive that as long as you know how to peep your horn you get a licence!

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Semsema

My husband is Palestinian and he owns a car here. He said you don't need to be a citizen but you must have residency here, meaning you hold a valid passport and your residence has not expired.

He said the taxes though are slightly higher for non-egyptians.

Hope this helps.

Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Okay latest update on the saga:

If you own a company - yes you can buy a car.

If you have residency (which I don't) - yes you can buy a car.

The only other way is that the guy who is selling the car gives you a piece of paper saying you have paid xxxx amount, but in effect the car is still his. The 'piece of paper' is your safeguard in case he tries to take the car back!!!!!

Okay, worst scenario, you pay xxxx amount, have a piece of paper, he wants the car back but has already spent the money. Yes the 'foreigner' is out in the cold once again!!!!

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Semsema, One of the advantages of getting an International driving licence in the UK, is if you go to the UK and drive, you can park on all double yellow lines, speed, and get as many fines as you can, and when you produce the International Driving Licence all the fines are cancelled!! Thats the real reason why when I get caught in speed traps on my hot rod, I never pay a fine!! It also works in other countries as well because you simply tell them you are living in another country other than the one you get caught in. Its printed in Arabic as well so even the Egyptians can read it. Charlie
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Semsema:
[B]I have been told that unless you hold Egyptian Citizenship, you cannot buy and own a car.

Is this correct?

No, it is not, all my non Egyptian friends in Egypt bought cars there.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Salama,

I would be interested to know how they did it - buy a car I mean. My husband went to the Traffic Office here in Hurghada and has been told the same thing. Unless we have residency forget it.

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by salama:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Semsema:
[B]I have been told that unless you hold Egyptian Citizenship, you cannot buy and own a car.

Is this correct?

No, it is not, all my non Egyptian friends in Egypt bought cars there.

it my entered By tribtec for few months then it will end or it may be they have a companies here sharing Egyptian

i am not sure

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
I Dont Understand Why They Are Telling You This, From What I Have Heard, This Was True A Long Time Ago, But The Law Changed. Like Now You Can Buy A Flat On Your Own Etc, Before You Only Could Do this With An Egyptian.
Anyway All I Did Was Pay A Lawer 200le, And He Got The Contract To say I Have Bought The Bike And It Is Mine, This Was Logged In The Book Down At The Courts, Had To Pay Money To The Courts As Aswell, After This The Bike Was Mine, The Difficult Part Was Changing The Licence For The Bike Over At The Traffic Police, Like I Have Said Above.

Dont Understand What Is Saying In His Post ??? - Double Dutch.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think DJKeefy is right.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
DJKeefy & Nike,

Please don't get upset by other postings.

What I understand from my husband is this:

The guy from whom we intended buying the car makes a contract which is duly stamped. In effect he is 'renting' the car to us even though we have paid him the full money.

If at any time he tries to say the car is his, we have this piece of paper stamped by the court.

Now call me a cynic if you will, but I would hate to think that we paid for the car and something went wrong and we lost it.

I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the hassle.

Thanks again people for your help and caring enough to reply. I am like a fish out of water here with the rules and regulations.

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Here is the final answer

I asked my company lawyer he told me u could buy the cars and also flat

and he told me for flats only 1 in here
and i he told me that no limits for buying cars

the only different that u will pay more expenses in the legel registration

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
THANK YOU MohdAnwar - Final Answer

Semsema Not Getting Upset From No Postings - Just Did Not Understand What
had Put Up Above - (Who`s Nike) ? - Maybe It`s One Of Those Days.

Happy Christmas

(EDIT)
Hey Semsema Its like A Live Relay Centre, U Must Be Online - Should Have Used Hotmail Or Yahoo

[This message has been edited by DJKeefy™: (edited 22 December 2004).]

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
MohanDwar,

Thank you!

Sokary whatever,

No problem with licence. Getting that at 10.am tomorrow (Inshallah).

Deroban
Member # 5403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deroban     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. To buy a car is no problem. The Problem is the registration at the traffic police. It is true u need a residant visa. This is normaly for 1 year.Is the same in Europe. No tourist can register their a car.
To buy a car is no problem.
2. If you are a residant you need an Egyptian driver licens. Otherwise you have a big problem if you have an accidant.
3. Of course the police can't take your international driver licens if they stop you for high speed or somthing alse. But they always take the license from the car and the owner of the car has the problem.
Only for information, the punishment for somthing happen on the street is between 100 LE - 500 LE. It is in the hand of the judge. Foreigner always pay between 400 - 500 :-) (be sure I know it) No friend can help. This are new rules.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Hi Deroban, Well Ive Registered My Bike Of Course My Name Is In Arabic On The Card And I Know Others Who Have, I Had A Problem Once When An Egyptian Friend Of Mine Took The Bike To The Mechanic For Me, On The Way he Was Stopped By The Police, They Arrested Him Cause He Did Not Have A Driving Licence, Of Course They Took The Bike Licence From Him, He Went to Court The Next Day, I Had To Pay 200le, Got My Bike Licence back Then.
Its Like Everything Else I Suppose In Egypt, Its How They feel At The Time.

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Maybe The Rules Are Different In Luxor, Than In Cairo Etc.. After All This Is Egypt.

Semsema Use Your Sainsbury Card, Ive Used My MetroCard before - Works Well, If Its Got A Photo On, It Looks Official, Anyway Here In Luxor If They Try To Stop Me I Tell Them To Go Away And Leave Me Alone, I Found its The Best Way Cause Half The Time They Only Want Some Money.
But You know Luxor Is Different, U Have 10yr Old Boys Zooming Around With 5 Others On The Bike, With No Respect for Anyone.

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
MohanDwar,

Thank you!

Sokary whatever,

No problem with licence. Getting that at 10.am tomorrow (Inshallah).

my name is MohdAnwar and it means Mohd >> (Mohamed) Anwar and that is my real name

Best Regards to u

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
So sorry for spelling your name wrongly, but I did try and warn everyone that I had lost the plot.

Thanks.

Memo2000
Member # 3996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Memo2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think you can buy a car in Egypt .. just you have to apply for business visa or long stay atleast .
Thanks

------------------
http://www.halim-hosting.com

Posts: 271 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
So sorry for spelling your name wrongly, but I did try and warn everyone that I had lost the plot.

Thanks.

Dear Semsema
it is ok i am just tried to explain what is my name

and by the way did u get your license or yet

best Regards to u

[This message has been edited by MohdAnwar (edited 23 December 2004).]

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Hello Semsema, everybody, Hope you were able to get somewhere with that advice I gave you over phone. Anyway, I notice DJ has a Honda CBR 6OO FV. Nice bike, I have a CRR 6OO FX with the overhead cam. The improvement makes it actually faster on the track than the Blade. But I do prefer the Blade, its got a better image like me.

Will explain in more detail later the pros & cons of an International Driving Licence, but one of the things is that, for example, if I brought my bike over to Egypt, it wouldnt be "imported" and therefore theres no import tax to pay. In any other case there is no import tax to pay if you drive in and drive out of Egypt within a one year period.

The main problem is the petrol here. Likely to get pistons burning out fairly regularly, although its unlikely theres anywhere to go to have a real burn up. Like Semsema I would like to feel free to travel around the country (not in convoys) and this another downside to living in Egypt. Had thought about going back to live in Morrocco simply so I could be reunited with my bikes and car.

By the way I dont know who put all the stuff (from Sokarya@hotmail.com) about ginger root! I notice they have made a real effort to imitate my style this time, but alas, sadly, its only one of my clones! I am not terribly interested in ginger root, but the information might be assistance to the more diet conscious.

A slight objection has filtered down from the pope about my calling myself St. Charlie. So to be politically correct I have to call myself Charlie, the Saint, or just the saint would do.

Hope you dont drop your bike again DJ .
Charlie the saint.

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Okay latest update.

NO I did not get licence. It is going to take 15 days.

My suggestion of buying a Tandem yesterday would probably run into red tape also.

I would be able to buy one, but only one of the seats would be allowed to have a saddle!!!

Guess who would be sitting on the back!

Thanks everybody for trying to help, it has been very much appreciated and restored my faith in humanity.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYBODY. I AM OFF WORK FROM 1800 TODAY UNTIL 0900 ON THE 3RD JAN.

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
You Know Im Begining To Admire Your Sense Of Humour.
quote:
Hope you dont drop your bike again DJ

Happy Christmas

[This message has been edited by DJKeefy™: (edited 23 December 2004).]

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Glad to hear it DJ. Not everyone appreciates it cos it's sick half the time. But what the heck, if you can't laugh at life living here you may as well give up!!!
Did I really say that? I think I may just treat myself to a large, very large, B&C tonight!!!!

Stuff the tandem.

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Oh God Charlie have just realised DJ was NOT alluding to MY sense of humour, but yours. So please don't think I was saying you are sick!!!

Oh please not another argument on this forum.

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Aha, but that wasnt me, this is me. The Saint.
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Are you sure you havent already started on that Barcardi? Might see you if I come down to Hurgarda. Never know. Could do with a change of scenery, but still got problems here as you know. Not so bad now though.
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Hey Saint,

How dare you infer that I have already imbibed!!!!

Now before any of you leap in to this one, the Saint and I are friends.

After the day I have had, your namesake has promised me two large ones - no smutty - bacardis.

Would love to see you in Hurghada - you know you are welcome anytime.

Take care my friend.

Logging off now for 10 days. Still available by SMS tho!

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Hello Semsema, The saint of course has been partaking in "Morning Dew", the type that comes from Scotland, so do forgive me, its quite intoxicating. I recently bought a pair of crutches, as the leg snapped off the other pair. I have been looking through some of my posts with Annie and I thought I would give a description of my current self, and I am not putting the webcam on! Well, Ive got blond-white hair, fringe at the front and cut straight all the way around the back at shoulder length, blue eyes and large thick intelligent glasses. Ive got and enormous 54" bosom before me getting in the way of the keys, I am a lesbian and have enormous hands with post office red painted nails and small 4" feet, making it hard for me to stand up and keep balance, hence the crutches. I absolutely adore penises ever since I lost mine in a most unfortunate tragic piece of reconstructive surgery a few years ago. So, now they all know darling, and I am going off now to make my saintly way back to my flat to suck up a bit more of that dew with my long pointed tongue. Charlie the saint.
soliman
Member # 2890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soliman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Is this correct?

I Made a egyptian license without test just when i show them the kuwaitian license .. so i don`t think u should make a Egyptian ID ...

------------------
I HAVE A Milion

Posts: 55 | From: kuwait | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uttt
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com