EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving to Cairo in two weeks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving to Cairo in two weeks
AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndyP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm moving to Cairo at the end of the month, from Dublin. As I haven't ever set foot in the place, I was wondering if anyone could give me a name of a good European style bar or two. Not that I intend to spend my time hanging around western style watering holes...just that I'm sure there'll come a time when I'll be glad of one. Also, if there's anywhere worth avoiding, please let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo - soon | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aussiemat
Member # 6132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aussiemat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think there is a good irish bar at the marriot
Posts: 70 | From: australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndyP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...guessed there'd be an Irish bar somewhere!

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo - soon | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know Cairo at all but you are right in thinking that sometimes it is good to know a place where ex-pats hang out. New places come sometimes be lonely and when I first came to Egypt I longed for European company and thoughts of 'home'. You can be sure that others feel the same and that means that you are always welcome.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
I don't know Cairo at all but you are right in thinking that sometimes it is good to know a place where ex-pats hang out. New places come sometimes be lonely and when I first came to Egypt I longed for European company and thoughts of 'home'. You can be sure that others feel the same and that means that you are always welcome.

...but I see, from the username, it grew on you.

[This message has been edited by AndyP (edited 09 January 2005).]

Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Andy

Check out www.cairodining.com, search under 'night spots' - this has a fairly good list of bars/nightclubs. Some of my favourite places are After Eight, Cairo Jazz Club, Absolute and Deals.

Enjoy your stay in Cairo.

Cheers
Ann

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Andy

Check out www.cairodining.com, search under 'night spots' - this has a fairly decent list of bars/nightclubs. Some of my favourite places are After Eight, Cairo Jazz Club, Absolute and Deals.

Enjoy your stay in Cairo.

Cheers
Ann

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew

How long will you be in Cairo? Are you coming for work?

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kardous
Member # 5784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kardous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello andy ....
contact me on kardous2003@yahoo.com ...
i am male 29 yrs old ..live in cairo work as cinematographer and cameraman ,,,,

A

Posts: 51 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.yallabina.com

for bars, clubs, restaurants, movies, etc. around cairo and alex.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Hi Andy

Check out www.cairodining.com, search under 'night spots' - this has a fairly good list of bars/nightclubs. Some of my favourite places are After Eight, Cairo Jazz Club, Absolute and Deals

Thanks, I'll have a look - I'd heard that Cairo Jazz Club is good...

AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
Andrew

How long will you be in Cairo? Are you coming for work?

I think I'll be there for a year or so. I write for a couple of newspapers in Ireland, and I'll be able to carry on doing about half of what I'm doing at the moment. So I probably won't need local work, but I might try and get some part-time work. My main reason for moving is to learn the language...

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will love it. Cairo is wonderful.

Any help please email me.

kenzie257@yahoo.com

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy - you are right. It grew on me and now I am totally confused as to where my 'home' is. Egypt is winning this internal battle hands down at the moment.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
You will love it. Cairo is wonderful.

Any help please email me.

kenzie257@yahoo.com

Thanks Kenzie, I'll drop you a line if I have any difficult questions...

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Kenzie is a mine of information about Egypt and will give you a lot of help.

The main thing to come to terms with living in Egypt is a complete dismissal of time. Few Egyptian homes have clocks - they are seldom needed. It takes some getting used to, but when you do it is complete liberation.

Kerry
Member # 6310

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi first welcome 2 cairo i will tell u some places and when u arrive there u will find so many interesting people which will tell u more...i dont know where u will stay but here we r :
*L´aubergine in Zamalek
*Cairo Jazz Club in Mohandessin
*Deals in Zamalek, Heliopolis and Mohandessin
Those r my Top 3
*Sangria its a pretty place but more in summer its right next 2 the nile at Cornich El Nile
*La Bodega in Zamalek

Ohh i think when u visit one of them u will find contact to others and than u will be MR. NIGHTLIFE OF CAIRO

GOOD LUCK

Posts: 147 | From: Mainz,Germany/ Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:
Hi first welcome 2 cairo i will tell u some places and when u arrive there u will find so many interesting people which will tell u more...i dont know where u will stay but here we r :
*L´aubergine in Zamalek
*Cairo Jazz Club in Mohandessin
*Deals in Zamalek, Heliopolis and Mohandessin
Those r my Top 3
*Sangria its a pretty place but more in summer its right next 2 the nile at Cornich El Nile
*La Bodega in Zamalek

Ohh i think when u visit one of them u will find contact to others and than u will be MR. NIGHTLIFE OF CAIRO

GOOD LUCK

Thanks Kerry...I'll definetely check all three of them out.

Viel Spass (I'm sure I've spelt that wrong!),
Andrew

Kerry
Member # 6310

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kerry...I'll definetely check all three of them out.

Andrew

NO U u wrote it RIGHT MABROUK thats arabic and means GRATULATION

Posts: 147 | From: Mainz,Germany/ Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:
Andrew

NO U u wrote it RIGHT

Nope! According to German spelling rules it should read "Viel Spaß" ...

I agree with your recommendations, would maybe add After Eight for dancing, Andrea Zamalek for warm summer nights in a hip loungy outdoor setting and Andrea Maadi for nice, reasonably priced Egyptian food and a gorgeous view of the Nile, especially when there's a full moon.

And btw ... there are quite a few Irish people in Cairo ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndyP
Member # 6319

Rate Member

[/b][/QUOTE]
Nope! According to German spelling rules it should read "Viel Spaß" ...
[/B][/QUOTE]

Pedant! Thanks for the tips. There seems to be a lot more to Cairo than I thought...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com