EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Movies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Movies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
prpboy
Member # 6484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for prpboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys ...
i am very curious about egyptian movies, even though i am half egyptian .. i still do not understand what is it that makes the stars of egypt so ... unpleasant i would say !!!!
i am half egyptian half lebanese and lived most of my life in new york, i am a performance arts graduate and i thought that as soon as i set a foot in cairo i am gonna be a celeberity .. but to my own surprise .. that didnt happen and it doesnt look like its going to happen !
for some reason the standars or qualifications for celeberties in egypt are very different from the ones that are known worldwide !
i pay very close attention to the trailes of the big blockbuster movies in egypt and i was shocked to see that all the "stars" are very unattractive ( usually weird looking ), overacting, talentless people !
mohamed henedi, hany ramzy, mohamed saad and ahmed helmi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i made the mistake of my life by watching mohamed saad's movie " el lemby " on video which supposedly has the highest box office digits in the history of egyptian cinema !
i was shocked ...annoyed, depressed ... and overall just the movie ruined my night !
why did egypt go low to such standards ?
no wonder other arabs think of us low .. because the movies we send to them are the likes of the lemby !
there is a huge difference ( and i am speaking from a professional point of view )
between a sit com .. and over acting to make ppl laugh ( like talking weird, or looking weird, or behaving in bizzare manners )
in my opinion thats not art .. i do not laugh at mohamed saad because he talks like a retard .. nor that i laugh at mohamed henedi cause he is very short and weird looking .. nor that i laugh at hani ramzi cause he puts on such a dumb image !!!
and i have no respect for those "actors" whatsoever .. cause they want me to laugh at them .. when i should be laughing with them !
my question here is .. why are egyptians attracted to such movie ? why are rediculous comedies overtaking the egyptian movie industry ?
do egyptians actually enjoy this ?> does it make u laugh ??!!
if a drama or any other kinda movie was released in egypt .. would u go see it .. or does it have to be mohamed saad or henedy ?
thanx a lot for reading .. hope to get an answer to the riddle of the egyptian movies and the mentality of the audience !!!!
bye

Posts: 96 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Instant celebrity? Must be the lebanese in you.....

quote:
Originally posted by prpboy:
hey guys ...
i am very curious about egyptian movies, even though i am half egyptian .. i still do not understand what is it that makes the stars of egypt so ... unpleasant i would say !!!!
i am half egyptian half lebanese and lived most of my life in new york, i am a performance arts graduate and i thought that as soon as i set a foot in cairo i am gonna be a celeberity .. but to my own surprise .. that didnt happen and it doesnt look like its going to happen !
for some reason the standars or qualifications for celeberties in egypt are very different from the ones that are known worldwide !
i pay very close attention to the trailes of the big blockbuster movies in egypt and i was shocked to see that all the "stars" are very unattractive ( usually weird looking ), overacting, talentless people !
i made the mistake of my life by watching mohamed saad's movie " el lemby " on video which supposedly has the highest box office digits in the history of egyptian cinema !
i was shocked ...annoyed, depressed ... and overall just the movie ruined my night !
why did egypt go low to such standards ?
no wonder other arabs think of us low .. because the movies we send to them are the likes of the lemby !
there is a huge difference ( and i am speaking from a professional point of view )
between a sit com .. and over acting to make ppl laugh ( like talking weird, or looking weird, or behaving in bizzare manners )
in my opinion thats not art .. i do not laugh at mohamed saad because he talks like a retard .. nor that i laugh at mohamed henedi cause he is very short and weird looking .. nor that i laugh at hani ramzi cause he puts on such a dumb image !!!
and i have no respect for those "actors" whatsoever .. cause they want me to laugh at them .. when i should be laughing with them !
my question here is .. why are egyptians attracted to such movie ? why are rediculous comedies overtaking the egyptian movie industry ?
do egyptians actually enjoy this ?> does it make u laugh ??!!
if a drama or any other kinda movie was released in egypt .. would u go see it .. or does it have to be mohamed saad or henedy ?
thanx a lot for reading .. hope to get an answer to the riddle of the egyptian movies and the mentality of the audience !!!!
bye

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dearest prp.,
i have been wondering about the same thing, as i am not egyptian i can't answer your question, BUT i can tell u that when i was sitting in the bus from marsa alam to cairo (being the only female of course), they showed this kind of "wannabefunny" movies all night long. in one of those supposedly "funny" moments i took a look at the faces of the people and while everybody was staring at the tv screen like hallucinated, nobody moved their mouth even a tiny little milimeter towards a smile, let alone towards a laugh!!! everybody seemed deadly bored and annoyed.
so if you are talented, please, please, start to work on a great revolutionary ass-kicking show for all those many people who are bored. and let us forum users know when your first show is ready and where to go!!!

Posts: 271 | From: germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by prpboy:

Mohamed Henedia is annoying, how can such a short bald dude become a star. Saidi in the American University was a very agrivating experience to sit through. I felt like kicking this small guy in the gonads for the next few months when I saw him on TV.

Mohamed Sae3ad is a extremely funny guy, I have to be careful and not stare to hard when he is doing his hip swinging or hubby will be annoyed. He can also sing, but the hip shaking is the best. Yet what does this guy have against hair transplants?

Some of these new stars are aweful, but some are really entertaining.

No there will not be any Adel Imams for a while. Ahmed Zaki might not recover from his illness to act in many more films, real shame. My hubby looks a little like him.

Hany Ramzy I will say is really funny without being totally dorky. "Wedding by State Decree" was actually pretty good.

Now who is that red head that plays the strong seductive woman all the time. Now she is doing TV and I wish she wouldn't, playing weak roles.

You know who that red head is?

And who is that actor in Mafia? The lead actor with the large mole on the side of his head? A recent actor. He annoys me.

Mahmoud Qabeel I think this is the guy he was in college with Saddam Hussein and most of the time he is a real macho jerk in these films. I don't think he could possibly act without having at least 20 female co-star slaps in a film. I possibly could stomach his performances if he wouldn't smack women so much. Unfortunately ART has subtitles for his films often and not other films he's not in.

Hussein Fahmy is cool and often doesn't make men look like asses.

You well, if Egypt could start making films that didn't revolve around stupid love stories or try to reproduce hollywood guy films on a limited budget it might get better.

Yet romance films won't be believable until we have another Soad Hosni. That gal had talent.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prpboy
Member # 6484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for prpboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys ...
well some of the names u mentioned i would not even dare to say anything negative about them .. for example hussein fahmy, ahmed zai and soad hosni .. those people are just timeless entertainers.
if u r in to egyptian movies .. look out for mahmoud hemeda .. a very good actor in my opinion, a role model to me honestly .. also look out for lebleba .. she started out as a show girl and developed herself in to again in my opinion a phenomelal actress .. nabila ebed has some really amazing movies as well.
the red head you were talking about is madlene tabar .. yes i agree with you .. her and mahmoud abeel need to find a different career other than acting lol
i dont like ahmed el saka either .. he is such a hollywood wanna be ! plz lol
look for baheb el seema .. or i love movies .. a movie by osama fawzy ..a great director .. and mahmoud hemeda is a lead in it along side a very good actress as well laila elwy.
in the late ninties laila elwi stared in a series of sit coms which in my opinion are classic comdedies ... " sama hos" " set el setat" " tofaha " " hala hosh" " ya mhalabya ya " are a few to mention .. now those were comdey movies .. not mohamed henedi LOL
my hopes are to start up like a revolution aganist shallow movies in egypt .. i will do best

Posts: 96 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Commenting on your post I would say you are might too smart and too good-looking to get a big break in Egyptian movies.

Try Hollywood!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody ever travelled on the ElGouna bus from Hurghada to Cairo?? 90% of the time, they show the same movie.. a comedy... don't know thename, I cant read arabic!! its about 2 guys getting caught up in a robbery by mistake.....
One of the guys is very cute.... he sings too.. the other one is stupid-looking! I have no idea of the cute ones name.. in one scene he's singing with some children.... I've seen some posters with this guy too.. all in arabic!!
Anyone know who I'm talking about??

Also.. Egyptian soaps!!! the ones I've seen.. the women look like overpainted sluts, the men all seem to have dodgy wigs!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Also.. Egyptian soaps!!! the ones I've seen.. the women look like overpainted sluts, the men all seem to have dodgy wigs!!!

Yeah, theres alot of make up on those gals. But remember Dallas and daytime soaps in the 1980's in the USA. Egypt fashionwise seems to be stuck in the 1980's. That goes for the hair and makeup.

Yussra always looks fashionable and clean faced. Rarely too much makeup.

My daughter will sit down only for one thing and that is to watch Grandma's favorite soap opera with her.

What's crazy is that my hubby enjoys soaps too. Do alot of Misryan men enjoy soap operas?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Commenting on your post I would say you are might too smart and too good-looking to get a big break in Egyptian movies.

Try Hollywood!

Not a good idea. Hollywood blockbusters are dominated by men over 45-75 who chase around after girls young enough to be their daughter's or grandaughters.

Can't watch any more loves scenes that remind me of Anna Nicole Smith earning her bread.

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
prp.... don't waste yourself on Egyptian movies.... you're far too cute!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prpboy
Member # 6484

Rate Member
hey guys ...
well actually i am working on two soap operas in egypt now ... and they are good ! well written and all .. and as for the makeup .. thats a culture thing ! and personally i think middle eastern women pull off heavy make up pretty well lol
and as for the movies ... i just think its sad and depressing really
and samia .. thanx for your compliment sweetie
and someone was asking about the movie with the two guys who got stuck in a robery .. this movie is called " howa fe ah ? "
the guy who can sing is mohamed fouad .. he is a singer to begin with, and the other is ahmed adam .. one of the worst movies i have ever seen in my whole entire life LOL
u know what i was thinking ?
i was thinking if i can egyptianiz american chick flicks and give one of the female roles to a guy .. those would work here !
thelma and louise for example .. great movie .. but will egyptias understand **** like that ?
i doubt it LOL

Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Limby - I watched it on the flight over to Egypt, on returning from the bathroom it was on the screens of only the Egyptian travellers and they were ALL in hysterics (remember that they are sporting headsets!!) I had to read the subtitles to be honest, what kind of an accent is that???

Anyhow, tamsiliya's are fun, where else could you see such drama? Overpainted or not - it's a darn sight better than the scantily clad types on the box here

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prpboy
Member # 6484

Rate Member
oh waw .. i cant believe they are showing el lemby on flights to cairo ... what a nice image of egypt LOOL
the accent .. its not an accent its just literally someone who smoke up way too much pot that he no longers knows how to speak properly !
sad .. isnt it ?

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Farhana:
Speaking of Limby - I watched it on the flight over to Egypt, on returning from the bathroom it was on the screens of only the Egyptian travellers and they were ALL in hysterics (remember that they are sporting headsets!!) I had to read the subtitles to be honest, what kind of an accent is that???

Anyhow, tamsiliya's are fun, where else could you see such drama? Overpainted or not - it's a darn sight better than the scantily clad types on the box here

While Limby's 3 movies may don't have alot of content regarding the story but the indeed the funniest between all recent movies. The guy is just so unbelieveable and is talented in his way however his movies besides that of Henadi maybe regarded as very Egyptian because of the accent and expressions involved that even arab people wouldn't understand them

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Has anybody ever travelled on the ElGouna bus from Hurghada to Cairo?? 90% of the time, they show the same movie.. a comedy... don't know thename, I cant read arabic!! its about 2 guys getting caught up in a robbery by mistake.....
One of the guys is very cute.... he sings too.. the other one is stupid-looking!

Ever heard of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis? I think the good looking straightman and the goofy looking side-kick worked for them. That was in the 50's and 60's, which is where I think Egyptian filmmaking got stuck. Maybe it's the technology as much as the actors. Would have thought with Mubarak Media City being built that would have improved, but I'm guessing it didn't help that much.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever thought of the idea that Egyptians like the stuff they are watching on TV and they worship their celebrities (after all they wouldn't be stars if people don't want to see them)?

I personally love to watch Egyptian advertisings, you know commercials on TV. Most of them make me laugh hard.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
PRP... you can be Egypt's answer to Hugh Grant!! just keep away from Bl**-jobs in cars!!!!
Best of luck.. and invite me to the premiere!!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmmm, Hugh Grant, I'm owning all of his movies.

Prpboy, its time to download your picture............. I don't want to miss out on anything.

prpboy
Member # 6484

Rate Member
LOL .. well honestly i dont know how to post pictures on this forum .. let me know how and i will post my picture
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Tiger... believe me... you don't want to see this guy.. he's UGLY.... I mean REALLY UGLY... and anyway..... I saw him first!!
But I loooovvee Hugh Grant!!!
(Only kidding, prp!!)

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've always wondered what makes you ladies like hugh grant... he looks like american gummy for me!!! sorry if t sounds rude, but can you explain to me please???
Posts: 271 | From: germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
SAEEDA.... I don't really know...I suppose the fact that he's not OBVIOUSLY sexy- looking!!
Can't explain what he's got.. not even nice eyes, but whatever it is...it does it for me in a big way!!!!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me Hugh Grant means a good-looking actor with a sexy British accent and a wonderful funny personality. I love his acting, his comedies are great, one movie I love so much is called "Mickey Blue Eyes". Yes, yes, yes, Hugh you are "huuuuge" for me!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com