EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving to Cairo - apartment and shipping needs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving to Cairo - apartment and shipping needs
tutuq8
Member # 6895

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tutuq8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I'll be moving to Cairo in the middle August. I am looking for an apartment in Ma'adi for 1500 Egyptian pounds. Can anyone provide me with a lead on that? Maybe someone who is leaving...
I am also wondering if anyone can tell me about how to ship my stuff there and the restrictions on what I can bring in. I hear that many items are taxed. Electronics? Would this include my personal laptop?
Thanks so much!

Posts: 11 | From: Kuwait | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brigitte
Member # 6771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brigitte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tutuq8:
Hello,
I'll be moving to Cairo in the middle August. I am looking for an apartment in Ma'adi for 1500 Egyptian pounds. Can anyone provide me with a lead on that? Maybe someone who is leaving...
I am also wondering if anyone can tell me about how to ship my stuff there and the restrictions on what I can bring in. I hear that many items are taxed. Electronics? Would this include my personal laptop?
Thanks so much!

Hello

I brought parts from my household to Egypt it was very expensive because you must pay tax for all things and nobody can say you how much the custom is looking and then they say how much

Brigitte

Posts: 73 | From: Al Rehab City | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DECORISTA
Member # 2848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DECORISTA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tutuq8:
Hello,
Thanks so much!

Your personal laptop is out of any customs and your mobile phone also but I'm not sure about other stuff but if u are staying for a few months , u better tell the customs in the airport so they register your stuff and not to charge u tax or customs for it.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't say where you are coming from, but don't bring electronics if they aren't 220. It just isn't worth it.

Your employer will tell you how much weight they are willing to pay for you to bring, and they should have some ideas of what is best to bring within your limits.

I suggest that clothing for all seasons is important and know that in the winter it does get cold here. If you can put in a feather comforter for next winter, you won't be sorry.
Bring along a few personal effects that will help you feel like it is home, and then buy the rest. Electronics are available here. Cooking equipment may be provided by your landlord in a furnished apt., but if not, it is available here. It will be less expensive to replace many items here than pay for shipment yourself, or over weight luggage.
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tutuq8
Member # 6895

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tutuq8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for helping me out. I'm in Kuwait right now, so some of my stuff - answering machine, printer/scanner, cd/cassette player - is 220 volts. But, I'll be making the trip from Canada.... I'm going to take my laptop and buy a mobile phone before I leave. I think I'll also bring my cordless phone/answering machine. Can I get the printer/scanner through customs without paying a hefty tax or is it just not worth it? Thanks for the clothing tip. I shall pack my winter wear as well. As for my employer, $200 is all I get for excess shipping and thus so far, no tips on what to bring and what not to bring. So, I really appreciate your advice and suggestions.
Posts: 11 | From: Kuwait | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com