EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Clothing/Sewing Patterns in Cairo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clothing/Sewing Patterns in Cairo?
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this is similar to other current threads, I am away of that.

Yet I am contemplating whether to buy clothing patterns in USA or somewhere in Egypt.

This is the kind I am refering to: http://www.sewing-patterns.com/

Now, fabrics I had seen in both Cairo and Sixth of October weren't the quality I was looking for, so I'll bring my own fabric. But if I am going to pay $5, $10, $15, or $22.50 here for clothing/sewing patterns, what would I pay in either Cairo or Sixth of October?

And I know buttons and zippers are sort of a joke. So I will bring those.

Any ideas people?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, dear,

use your time better...
just buy your cloth from C&A ...
Anything bought in egypt is tooo bad, after a short time of use you can just forget it..
My mom bought for my kids cloth from C&A...
what a different in Quality and view...after hundreds of washings still like new!

Best wishes

Sara

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by germansara:
Hello, dear,

use your time better...
just buy your cloth from C&A ...
Anything bought in egypt is tooo bad, after a short time of use you can just forget it..
My mom bought for my kids cloth from C&A...
what a different in Quality and view...after hundreds of washings still like new!

Best wishes

Sara

What do you mean by C&A?

And I am one to keep clothes for a decade. I don't wear trendy fashions, but more classical and I hand wash half of everything.

And I am refering to my own needs. My in-laws basically fight over who will buy my daughter what. One person goes off and buys two outfits and the next goes off and buys four, they do this with all the girls. Some of this she only wears once. ??!!?!!?!?!

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 12 March 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RetirementBitches
Member # 6332

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RetirementBitches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
What do you mean by C&A?

a german chain stores

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
molly
Member # 6744

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for molly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RetirementBitches:
a german chain stores

Dutch, actually

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhhhhhhh,

yes, C & A we have a lot in germany.................but I thought it's american based...?

...not important anyway sweeties...

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by germansara:

That's not completely true. I'm the type of person who wears clothes for many years and if I buy something I can usually tell whether it's good qualitiy or not.

I know that lots of the clothes and fabrics you get here are not good quality and will fall apart after a while, but I also bought many things that are not only good looking but also good quality.

Btw, if you have a good taylor you don't even need sewing patterns, mine just works from pictures you show him and he does a great job.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nami_pamker
Member # 6486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nami_pamker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for a taylor to do a night dress. You think yours can do it? How long he will take it and how much it will cost?
Thank you very much!!

Posts: 140 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, he can do anything and it usually takes about a week. I don't know his rates by heart because I haven't been there in a while. But to give you an example I had a pair of winter pants made last year and I payed about 70 pounds for everything, meaning the fabric plus the work.

He's a bit more expensive than many others but he does a great job and is a very nice elder man. I don't have a phone number but can get you the address if you're interested. He's in Zamalek ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Yes, he can do anything and it usually takes about a week. I don't know his rates by heart because I haven't been there in a while. But to give you an example I had a pair of winter pants made last year and I payed about 70 pounds for everything, meaning the fabric plus the work.

Wowsers, I pay a good $20 for a pair of slacks or jeans and thats it, here in the USA. I have paid a good $50 for a blazer or wools cardigan. But I don't buy unless its 60%-90% off the retail price first.

$14 for a pair of slacks is good for USA standards, and I might have to do that. To get quality here is not what I can afford right now.

I have been fortunate, my mother does thrift stores for antiques and runs across new clothes with their store price tags still on them. My city is one of the worst in the mid-west for compulsive shoppers. Thats why I can find these deals. Luckily the women who compulsively shop aren't all a size 4.

Dalia, is linen, rayon, good cotton hard to find. I am not takign primary colors here. Muted earth tones.

I had seen a posting of yours Dalia in 2003 about fabric shops behind the Sharaton in Cairo. I have it marked in "moving to misr" folder, but since then have you found quality fabrics outside of these two stores?

molly
Member # 6744

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for molly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

quote:
Wowsers, I pay a good $20 for a pair of slacks or jeans and thats it, here in the USA. I have paid a good $50 for a blazer or wools cardigan. But I don't buy unless its 60%-90% off the retail price first.

$14 for a pair of slacks is good for USA standards, and I might have to do that. To get quality here is not what I can afford right now.

I have been fortunate, my mother does thrift stores for antiques and runs across new clothes with their store price tags still on them. My city is one of the worst in the mid-west for compulsive shoppers. Thats why I can find these deals. Luckily the women who compulsively shop aren't all a size 4.

Dalia, is linen, rayon, good cotton hard to find. I am not takign primary colors here. Muted earth tones.

I had seen a posting of yours Dalia in 2003 about fabric shops behind the Sharaton in Cairo. I have it marked in "moving to misr" folder, but since then have you found quality fabrics outside of these two stores?

Wowsers..........sooo sorry I need a new pair of trousers, Dalia
Can you help me, I also have a folder, only I call it 'moving to Egypt', I don't have to call it 'moving to misr' to make myself feel important on Egy boards

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by molly:
Can you help me, I also have a folder, only I call it 'moving to Egypt', I don't have to call it 'moving to misr' to make myself feel important on Egy boards

Moll, since you are already in the mood to be spiteful and contribute nothing but spite go and fill that vodka tumber like seven more times. A ring leader to bash and bully whoever you don't agree with. Oh and I saw the banner for "CamelGirls". Now that is really derogatory. What a shame.

I was once told by a wise professor:

"Alcoholism is a slow suicide, without the bravery of full fledge suicide. In the mean time the alcoholic punishes the people around him/her with the behavoir that doesn't punish the alcoholic, just forces his/her loved ones, neighbhors, co-workers into making painful adjustments. Meaning not only is the alcoholic a coward, but also has made a life long pledge to harm everyone around him/her. The alcoholic hates others and much as him/herself. Which is really pathetic. So much hate, and yet the alcoholic shames and guilt trips others into supporting their slow draw out suicide."

I for one do not support cowardise, nor support self-inflicting addictions.

If you cannot contribute in a helpful manner why post at any forum at all?

molly
Member # 6744

Rate Member
quote:

I for one do not support cowardise, nor support self-inflicting addictions.

If you cannot contribute in a helpful manner why post at any forum at all?

[/B]

sonomod, this is really, REALLY good coming from you. On this forum, you have posted more spite, venom and malice than just about everybody else put together. I could count on the fingers of one hand the helpful posts you've made, compared to hundreds if not thousands of illogical, raving, bigoted, racist, prejudiced, idiotic posts attacking people who actually DO know what they're talking about. And because you are SO full of yourself, there are people who actually think (until they get to know you better) that you have something to say.

I for one do not support malicious, two faced people who think that posting about sewing patterns and suncreams means that a record of vindictive, slanderous, malicious posts in the past is just forgotten. I don't know HOW mant topics have been started on here, asking innocent questions like this one, where you've jumped in with your assumptions and accusations and idiotic posts about your family......I'm just returning the favour.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com