EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cost of apt. in Zamalek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cost of apt. in Zamalek
junadelam
Member # 6935

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for junadelam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear All,

My husband and I are moving to Cairo for either 3 months or one year. One of us will attend AUC.

We would like to live in Zamalek because we would like to have access to cafes and cultural activities.

What can we expect to pay for a 2 bedroom apt. with a washer and air conditioning? We are hoping to pay 1500 EP. Is this reasonable? If not, what is?

If Zamalek is too expensive what other options are good for a young couple?

My husband speaks intermediate Arabic, but I speak none and would like to be somewhere where I would feel comfortable and can communicate with very little Arabic (I will learn what I can). I speak English, German and Italian, and want to be able to run errands after I pick up some basic phrases in Arabic.

Thanks!

Posts: 8 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nami_pamker
Member # 6486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nami_pamker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it depends on your standards of living...You can find a nice apartment in zamalek for about 2500 LE. You can find flats at a lower prices but they are awful and the kitchen and bathroom are from the Middle Ages...when are you going to come to cairo? I was very lucky and I found an apartment recently renewed...EVERYTHING is new: the kitchen, bathroom, the carpets, the parquet, the furniture and it is also painted in nice colors...it is a dream and I will leave it in July most probably. So maybe you can talk to the owner and you can occupy it...

Posts: 140 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
junadelam
Member # 6935

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for junadelam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our standard of living will not be high. We are both Ph.D. students with a modest stipend.

I would settle for a 1 bdr., but want a comfortable place to write (a second bedroom I could use as an office)...

How much are you paying for your place?

Posts: 8 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saloma
Member # 5958

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for saloma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello nami-pamker,
I think I would be interested in renting the flat you are living now from July. Can you please give me some more details (in which area, what is the basic equipment - A/C, furniture, washing machine?, and of course what is the aproximatelly price). Can I contact you at your mail?
have a nice day
saloma

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately you have two things going against you for finding a decent place in Zamalek at a decent price.
One is a possible short term contract. If you are only staying 3 months, that will constitute short term and the price goes up. Of course I suppose you could lie and say you'll be there one year and the worst that would happen if you aren't is you'd loose your deposit.
The second disadvantage is being brand new to the area. To get one of the "deals" shall we say it helps to have lived here and know someone that knows someone that is moving out of a good place at a low price.

Since your husband speaks a little arabic, I'd plan on spending a few nights in the Canadian owned Mayfair Hotel (cheap accomodations in the heart of Zamalek @ www.mayfaircairo.com ) and get out on the streets asking the bowabs and self appointed realestate agents that hang out on the streets where flats are that rent for LE1500. They will show you some. At that point you can decide it you want to up the ante any and pay more for something more livable or if you would accept the sort of flat they are showing you. Another thing to remember is that it is pretty cheap to upgrade any flat. For example, if it has scuzzy looking wall to wall carpet in it, look under the wall to wall, and see if there isn't a more useable floor. Ask for permission to pull up the carpet. If the floor is scuzzy, you can get it as clean as it will come and cover it up with 2m x 3m cotton carpet/rugs that are no more than $10. There are loads of cute ways to make a pit much better.... especially if you aren't working, the flat can be your pet project.

Have fun with it.

P.S. The one thing I've found with the cheaper Zamalek flats is that they are usually on low floors of the buildings, which may be good because you don't have many stairs to climb, but the bad news is that you'll never see sunlight come in because all the other buildings will tower over around you. Don't get excited about having a lot of house plants, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 18 March 2005).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com