EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo's 'Jack the Ripper' terrifies women

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cairo's 'Jack the Ripper' terrifies women
RetirementBitches
Member # 6332

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for RetirementBitches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past few weeks, Cairo has been haunted by one of the most ruthless killers in its history. Since the killer is as yet unknown, people refer to him (assuming that the culprit is a man) as "The Heliopolis-Nasr City Serial Killer".

He is a murky presence, stalking women in the two neighborhoods. The police have found his victims cast naked behind filling stations or in dumpsters.

Frequent reports of missing girls found dead and brutally mutilated in the two affluent areas are piling up. Families mourn their loss, try to curb their anger, and keep silent.

And because the police are typically reluctant to provide information to the public, news and rumors of Egypt's 'Jack the Ripper' are usually circulated by word of mouth or e-mail.

The story of the serial killer has been making the rounds in Cairo for several weeks now, although the Interior Ministry claims that there is no truth to it. Residents of Heliopolis and Nasr City are living in constant fear of the elusive figure.

However, what the police have dismissed as a fantasy gained more credibility when Sout Al Umma (Voice of the People) newspaper published details of the killing of three young women, aged 28 to 32. The three had their body parts distributed in garbage bags around various areas of Al Nozha, in Heliopolis.

According to the newspaper, one of them was found with no head.

Kamal Al Sadany, a doctor working in the local morgue, confirmed the arrival of disfigured female bodies there and claimed they seemed to have been killed by the same weapon. "It is either a saw, or a knife," Al Sadany told the Middle East Times.

Police denied the statements made by the doctor and assured the public of their safety.

However, these expressions of reassurance lost credibility when the deaths of two girls in a car occurred right after the official police statement was made. Inevitably, people believe the newspaper account and the e-mails, and girls are making every effort to get home before sunset.

According to the families of the two friends, the girls, whose names were withheld, went out for a drive in Heliopolis and were found later that night with their throats cut.

"I don't know how I'm going to live without my daughter," the mother of one of the deceased wailed.

While the mothers and e-mails told a story of girls butchered, the police told a different one.

Commander Mahmoud Abdel Aziz, of the Al Nozha Police Station, insists the bodies and the talk of a serial killer are nothing but a vicious rumor, aimed to keep girls locked up in their homes. "It is a silly joke, and it remarkably suits the Cairenes who have a history of infatuation with tittle-tattle," he said.

Abdel Aziz said the month of on-going drama had ended because State Security was investigating a 19-year-old student said to be responsible for circulating e-mails that caused the rumors to be blown out of proportion.

The student is accused of hosting a website, using it to publish stories of the imaginary killer, and sending out random e-mails about the phantom killer and his horrible crimes.

Samples of the e-mails were published in the newspapers: "Girls found headless. He slaughters them first then severs the head from the body, probably with a saw, and sometimes cuts the body into pieces. No signs of assault, rape or robbery. Girls were found with their virginity intact and with all their jewelry, so he has no sexual or theft motives."

And this was how the e-mail usually ended: "This information will not go public, The Interior Ministry keeps it confidential in order not to cause panic, and to cover its failure (as usual) to uncover the Ripper!

"So tell all the girls you know to watch out. Don't go out alone, night or day. Don't take a taxi alone or even in pairs. Avoid dark alleys and quiet streets. Don't go joy-riding with strangers. Preferably use public transportation or a relative's car."

But the fact that a horror-crazed student is guilty of sending out e-mails does not mean the killer does not exist.

"It does not prove anything to us. It does not explain to us the murder of the women. The killer or killers remain on the run," said Rania Gabr, a student at Ain Shams University.

Some argue the crazed student is just a cover-up story to keep people quiet.

"Where is his website?" asked Hadia Al Sherbeeny, a journalist on one of Egypt's established magazines. "We only read about a young intelligent student who is infatuated with horror movies and decided to send e-mails. No other details were given, which makes the story hard to believe."

The investigation of a maniac killer or killers has been closed, as far as State Security and the police are concerned, but it remains an unsolved riddle to the public.

Egyptians, young and old, still have their heads full of stories about 'him'. They believe the killer remains at large and the police are just too lazy to react.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I had heard this story before, so I did a quick check. The story was originally written in the Middle East Times in November 2002! Here is the link from Google, although it isn’t working now as its an old link:

MET Front Index
... Since the killer is as yet unknown, people refer to him (assuming that the culprit
is a man) as "The Heliopolis-Nasr City Serial Killer". ... www.metimes.com/2K2/issue2002-11/front_index.htm -

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, is this story true? I would never imagine that something like this could happen in a country like Egypt!
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poly
Member # 6851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh, that's an old one, a friend of mine wrote an article about it in the ME Times..
Posts: 95 | From: Italy | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I have read about it, about the young guy that had a website, and telling bs about a serial killer. He was caught, as I read they gave short sentence because he is a student and had no bad record. Anyway like anywhere just be careful.

Egypt is a safe country

Karim

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If its so safe, how do we get 6O murders a week in Cairo then? Are you blind or just in de-Nile.? Charlie the Saint.
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
60 murderes a week?....are you sure ??
Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by germansara:
60 murderes a week?....are you sure ??

Exactly. Where does that data come from? I could believe maybe if you stretched it to 60 murders in Egypt (not just Cairo) but even that is OTT. I'd be very curious to hear about and check out your source.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is it unsafe for a girl to take a taxi alone at about 11pm from, say, Zamalek to Nasr City?
Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argumentative
Member # 6791

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argumentative     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nora:
So is it unsafe for a girl to take a taxi alone at about 11pm from, say, Zamalek to Nasr City?

It is generaly safe, but ALWYAS use caution. Don't take anything for granted.

As for the story, it's most likely bogus.
This is the source of the article: http://www.artarabia.com/artman/publish/article_110.shtml
This page always has the current date on top even though the stories are the same.
Today it says "Crime News Jeddah, Sunday, March 20, 2005."

Tommorrow it will read "Crime News Jeddah, Sunday, March 21, 2005."

And so on, the date keep changing and the stories are always the same, it looks like a prank.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt
Member # 6565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for matt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this article holds no water!
there is no consistency demonstated and no motivation... HOAX! and not even a very good one

Posts: 21 | From: london,england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by matt:
this article holds no water!
there is no consistency demonstated and no motivation... HOAX! and not even a very good one

Surely it got many many women scared. What a good way of keeping them in the house!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt
Member # 6565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for matt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would worry more about the guy who thinks such a hoax is ammusing than the existence of a serial killer.. it displays an unhealthy interest in the subject matter
Posts: 21 | From: london,england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sokarya_686@hotmail.com:
[B]If its so safe, how do we get 6O murders a week in Cairo then?

If Egypt was not that safe granny/ daddy, you would not have able to stay in Egypt for so long, making money and troubles.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[B]
Surely it got many many women scared. What a good way of keeping them in the house!

What a bad fiction !!

Tiger, I lived in Cairo all my life.
As a young student, I worked in various hotels when I finished my shifts very late night and walked all the way home as buses by then were done.
I never , never had any trouble. So never did any of my girls friends or indeed my sister.

I remember once I was stopped at the early hours of the day crossing the Kasr El Nil bridge by a police officer who asked me where I was going at that time, then he
went to his superior to speak to, and then walked me all the way home at Ramsis Sq.

Try to walk in LA for a few moments? I was dreafully scared walking the street from the Grey Hound station to the nearest hotel in the middle of the day.

Egypt is the safest place on earth. It is in the books dear.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salama, not doubt about it that Egypt is one of the safest places with the most friendliest people on this earth. Why do you think I want to return?

But then again where I live in Germany now since last summer its also safe, just the people thing is another issue. I can't really warm up here even if its my homecountry.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 22 March 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[B]Salama, not doubt about it that Egypt is one of the safest places with the most friendliest people on this earth. Why do you think I want to return?

Tiger, I did live in Germany albeit for a short time, but I do have plenty of German friends. It may be strange to say that I felt very safe in Germany but never so in England.
Just a few weeks ago I was at the Club 100 down town London where the aspiring Pop groups try their luck.
Getting out of the club about midnight, we witnessed the most horrible nasty fight between English young gangs . Some of them went on smashing the tens of cars that were parked nearby. Thank Allah, we came on a taxi that time.
Not a single person dared to stop them or come near them.
Blood and smashed cars and shop-windows were all over the street, and not a single cop on sight!

If that was to happen in Egypt-God forbid- the people would appear from all over to stop it.
England is not a very safe country nowadays sadly.
One reason why my husband and I decided to retire to Egypt in time.

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 23 March 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com