EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What's the reputation of Americans in Cairo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the reputation of Americans in Cairo?
junadelam
Member # 6935

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for junadelam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What's the reputation of Americans in Cairo?

Posts: 8 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by junadelam:

What's the reputation of Americans in Cairo?

Huh? I think you need to expand your question. What is it you really want to know?

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I agree with Debbie... I dont understand the question.. but, as you're planning to come and stay here, maybe you need to have done a little research first!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Sorry I agree with Debbie... I dont understand the question.. but, as you're planning to come and stay here, maybe you need to have done a little research first!

Innocent enough question. This is part of a phd studies. Its the Phd studies that bring her here, not Cairo.

Now how many international students know everything about Lincoln Nebraska before they come to study agriculture? How many Chinese international students know everything about Austin Texas when they arrive to complete a engineering thesis? How many Greenlanders know about Nome when they arrive to write their thesis on Indigenious cultures? How many Japanese understand Helenski when it comes to a research project on meterology?

I mean its valid.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol.

I think Junadelam is moving to Cairo and simply would like to know how Egyptians perceive Americans who live there (as opposed to tourists.)

Junadelam - Egyptians are extremely friendly and warm. They are also intelligent enough not to confuse US individuals with US policies and don't hold the view that you either represent or are responsible for your govt's crappy decision making.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argumentative
Member # 6791

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for argumentative     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

I think Junadelam is moving to Cairo and simply would like to know how Egyptians perceive Americans

And why are you replying?

quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

They are also intelligent enough not to confuse US individuals with US policies and don't hold the view that you either represent or are responsible for your govt's crappy decision making.

That's a bunch of bull. Egyptians are intelligent to know for a fact that the US policies in the middle east is supported by the majority of US individuals as proven by the last Elctions. Egyptians have always been aware of the US support to Israel , a country which to this day most Egyptian consider an enenmy and a threat to Egypt's security.

Americans are treated relatively well in a "skin deep" sort of relation. But you will never be trusted or even repected.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was my opinion based on my experience and there's nothing "bull" about that.

If you feel that you are not trusted or respected by Egyptians, that (if your nickname is an indicator) may be a reflection of your character not your nationality.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broadzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as an american, i have to interject. americans do not support the president of the united states. they're just too busy buying dvd's and getting fat on mcdonalds to do anything.
Posts: 20 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairoexpat
Member # 1023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairoexpat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Broadzilla:
as an american, i have to interject. americans do not support the president of the united states. they're just too busy buying dvd's and getting fat on mcdonalds to do anything.

You will fit in nicely here. Plenty of fast food to get fat on and unlike America you can get delivered to your door step for next to nothing and almost 24/7 a day. The selection of dvd’s is getting better day by day and as fare as politics go’ in Egypt we never have to worry about having recounts, run off election, or scandals about the poor quality of paper ballets we only have one candidate we vote for so there is not much point in going to the polling station. No matter what he gets reelected all the time, so you can stay home and enjoy your fast food and celebrate his reelection in the comfort of your apartment.

Posts: 133 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argumentative:
That's a bunch of bull. Egyptians are intelligent to know for a fact that the US policies in the middle east is supported by the majority of US individuals as proven by the last Elctions. Egyptians have always been aware of the US support to Israel , a country which to this day most Egyptian consider an enenmy and a threat to Egypt's security.

Americans are treated relatively well in a "skin deep" sort of relation. But you will never be trusted or even repected.

I dont see any bull about that statement, it is true that most egyptans think this way of American individuals, they may like them and fl free to befriend them or deal waith them as individuals,
and Americans may have voed for bush but that doesn mean allthose who voted for im agre with his Agenda in te middle east,
most americans are intrested only in thier daily life, they care for what would put more money in thier pockets and take less taxes at the end of the year, they care for the school system for thier kids, and the real-estate procices, and f waging a war against heaven itself that ther leaders wage, will benifit them , they would go for it, they will just speak out once in a while about justice, and freedom, but they dont really care, ( not a bad thing) they only care about thier kids, and there own lifes, if Bush's war in the middle east is bad, at least he is reducing the taxes and refund some of it back to us, oh and he must know how to get back the expensise back from the Saudies or by selling the Iraqi Oil,

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com