EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » I'm looking to move to Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm looking to move to Cairo
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broadzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you give me an idea of what each of the districts are like? How do they differ from each other?

Ma Salaama

Posts: 20 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would take a ver long essay answer. Could you perhaps narrow it down a little bit by giving us the names of some neighborhoods you are entertaining?

Here are some ideas:
Maadi - Good if you want to live in Little America. A large percentage of the expat population lives in Maadi. If you have children this may be a good choice as the better American type schools are in this area. $$$$$
Zamalek - A great place for the 30-something single set and others that appreciate what he 30-something single set like. It is clean, green and the cultural center of Cairo as well as well located in the center of Cairo proper. $$$$$
Mohandiseen - Very close to Zamalek for 1/2 the price. $$$
Dokki - Next to Mohandiseen and Zamalek. $$$
Heliopolis - Very much like Mohandiseen, but with wider streets and more green area. Close to the President so few water and electric outages compared to some other areas of town. Not as many foreigners living in Heliopolis as Zamalek or Maadi. $$$
Nasr City - Next to Heliopolis, but in a direction that makes transport more difficult and more expensive. A bit of a concrete jungle. $$

The $$$ signs are just to give you an idea of which area will have more expensive flats than the others. Don't take that as gospel though. There are flats of all price ranges in all areas... and if your company will pay for your flat, who cares?

Happy moving.

(Hopefully this will get the ball rolling for you with answers to your question... I suggest you go read the thread by Tall Tom about moving to Egypt too. He inspired a bit of talk about Heliopolis vs Maadi vs Zamalek.)

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broadzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. my mother just came back from staying with a friend in Maadi and she loved it. its also sounds like the one most compatible to me and my family. i thank you kindly and will look for the other thread.
Posts: 20 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com