EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Where is everyone????????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where is everyone????????
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ES seems sooooooo boring these days........

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't agree with you more, Tigerlily.
I'm beginning to miss all the action we used to have here. Even if it sometimes went over the top

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay both of you, what will we do to liven it up a bit. Don't ask me to start an argument, I don't have the energy.
Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pollina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, I have a question: normally in Islam when you meet somebody you like, you can not meet that person without a chaperone and you are not allowed to have any physical contact. How do muslims get to know each other so well that they can get married after a while (don't know what the normal timeframe would be)without being afraid that their partner is totally different in real life? How he/she behaves at home, in front of other people etc.? I mean, in Europe it's difficult enough to live together with somebody. But getting married without even having a chance to know a person, seems quite hard.
Posts: 182 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, we pick 5 vulnerable female volunteers, age group 15-95 to travel to Egypt and get hopelessly involved with Egyptian gigolos. They lose all their money, hope, and will to live. Some may commit suicide or shoot us in the head, but not before submitting dramatic memoirs to the ES. After publishing the heart stopping diaries, those of us still alive or at least with partial brain function after the shooting must pick a group defending the project since the most of ES will attack it without any consideration to our excruciating headache. Armed upheaval will follow and boredom shall fade without a trace. I will gladly participate in the ES Excitement Resurrecting Committee since I am a creative person and do not mind using quite challenging witness protection program, which usually places me on a palm tree eating bananas for weeks. I can also distribute weapons of mass destruction if our newly adrenaline charged beloved forum demands more effective forms of interpersonal conflict resolution. Let's gather ideas and kick some fun into this joint already.
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pollina:
ok, I have a question: normally in Islam when you meet somebody you like, you can not meet that person without a chaperone and you are not allowed to have any physical contact. How do muslims get to know each other so well that they can get married after a while (don't know what the normal timeframe would be)without being afraid that their partner is totally different in real life? How he/she behaves at home, in front of other people etc.? I mean, in Europe it's difficult enough to live together with somebody. But getting married without even having a chance to know a person, seems quite hard.

Excellent question, I was thinking about it too.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pollina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And where do muslims meet their potential partners? When I was in Hurghada a few times, I only saw men on the streets, hardly any women. So, do they meet them at events like weddings or so? Well, perhaps at university but I don't know if the separate guys and girls there. For me it's really hard to imagine how this can work if you don't want to break the muslim rules.
Posts: 182 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is easy here in Luxor as most people marry their cousins they see each other all the time.

But their concept of marriage is often different from the west they have different expectations from a partner. There is less emotional connection.

Also their parents help with the choice try to pick compatible people but within their understandig of compatible.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
perhaps I'm hopelessly romantic but a marriage without love? Not for me. But probably western people are spoiled enough not having to worry about economic or financial reasons for a marriage. I mean we are discussing things like open toothpastes etc. No idea whether the egyptian concept is perhaps the better one.
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Say, we pick 5 vulnerable female volunteers, age group 15-95 to travel to Egypt and get hopelessly involved with Egyptian gigolos. They lose all their money, hope, and will to live. Some may commit suicide or shoot us in the head, but not before submitting dramatic memoirs to the ES. After publishing the heart stopping diaries, those of us still alive or at least with partial brain function after the shooting must pick a group defending the project since the most of ES will attack it without any consideration to our excruciating headache. Armed upheaval will follow and boredom shall fade without a trace. I will gladly participate in the ES Excitement Resurrecting Committee since I am a creative person and do not mind using quite challenging witness protection program, which usually places me on a palm tree eating bananas for weeks. I can also distribute weapons of mass destruction if our newly adrenaline charged beloved forum demands more effective forms of interpersonal conflict resolution. Let's gather ideas and kick some fun into this joint already.

Go girl!!!!!

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sofia25
Member # 5851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sofia25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a question that I have always wondered.

I was talking to it with a egyptian friend of mine (male) about the same subject: ¿how do you know the other person enough to marry????

I said to him that in western countries is usual to live toghether for a while and see if it works. Maybe, if the couple it’s very conseravtive, they do not live toghether but spend tons of time toghether before getting married.

He said literally “in Egypt we do it at the contrary. We just marry and then we see if it works”. He was serious. I mean, he was not joking!!!!!!

And when speaking about meeting the girl , he said It is quite common to be a girl the familiy knows…or a friend of a cousin of the second cousin of your mother…then you meet her in her home with her family, then you go for a walk every friday for some months and then you start making plans…

Obviously there may be other cases most “western” (and also most eastern, like obliged marriages) but I think in Egypt marriage is more a way of life and an institution, not an “end “itself. Is not the same what we western socities consider.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
so, what values are important for an egyptian guy when he wants to get married? Does he want to know a lot about his girl (western or egyptian), e.g. what education she has, details about her family, her opinion about household and children, her hobbies etc. Or is this too much western thinking? I heard so much that egyptian women are so "caring". But what does that mean? That they do everything for their hubbie, that they don't have their own opinion, that they never contradict, that they are always the ones making a mistake (never him). I really have a hard time understanding what is important for an egyptian man. I mean, we are all human. How can values be so different? Do they not care if the girl really loves them? She can do everything for him (just because she was raised like that) and still think "what an ass.... you are".
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
ES seems sooooooo boring these days........

Hi all, I think too many of us got sick and tired of one certain person and the personal attacks. Probably most of us still dip in and out and will gradually come back again. It always seems to work like that.

As for Karah Mia.... well with you here who cannot resist giving it another try!! Just love that sense of humour.

Pollina re your points...I think their expectation of love is just the same as ours, they just come at it in a different way. It was no different in the west at one time for a couple to meet formally and even to be chaparoned before marriage. Times are changing fast in Egypt. One good friend of mine says when his two daughters marry they will choose their partners themselves. Both girls are in college at present. Now way does he ever want them coming to him and being angry for choosing the wrong husband for them.

Another friend of mine keeps texting me to say his finace doesn't understand him ! and she is more than worried he doesn't love her. Both get so upset with each other...they are both looking for love and want to be sure before marriage they are right for each other.

Just like western marriage, with arranged marriages, some seem to work well and some do not. The caring Egyptian woman is a bit of a steriotype...I have hear just as many accounts of Egyptian women that are not truly in love with their husbands giving them very little care or attention once children come along. The man feels totally out in the cold and that so easily leads to a breakdown in the marriage. Divorce rates are much higher than some people think in Egypt.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sand In My Shoes
Member # 6226

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sand In My Shoes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:

*Is laughing uncontrollably~~snorting even!*

Posts: 26 | From: Louisville, KY, USA... now Tanta Egypt | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errrrmmmm Please Miss.... If I ask you very nicely, can I get hopelessly involved with an Egyptian gigolo??? I fit (only just!!) the age criteria!!!
I've got my life savings ready to give away, and I'm half-way to losing my will to live, already!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samia, What do you mean half way to losing the will to live? Just wait until tomorrow night - I bet you will quite happily jump.

Penny, good to see you back on this board.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Errrrmmmm Please Miss.... If I ask you very nicely, can I get hopelessly involved with an Egyptian gigolo??? I fit (only just!!) the age criteria!!!
I've got my life savings ready to give away, and I'm half-way to losing my will to live, already!!

Samia, in the deepest depths of my heart I just knew I could count on you! You are welcomed with wide-open arms: first volunteer that I did not have to pick myself. I see heart stopping adventures and upcoming bliss in your nearest future. I also sincerely hope we can still remain friends after our experiment ends tragically. I have explored the abyss of my 'underbed world' in search of bullet proof vest but only found a NASA vacuum helmet American Astronauts used in their 1843 conquer of Galaxy BTF/2-001. Will do for now, must protect my head also: my brain cells (those remaining) are allergic to the gunpowder lately. Now I only have to come up with the dress code name for my office that will cover the above-mentioned garment.
Samia, get them golden sandals polished: ES counts on us! Maybe tomorrow's Hurghada meeting will bring more volunteers: I really don't like coming out on the streets with my laser weapons unless I really have to!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com