EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Friend in trouble

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friend in trouble
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all
i am posting to see if there is any information i can get to give to a young friend of mine that lives in cairo egypt, well in Mansoura, he and his brother were arrested last week and now after 3 days they let him go but not his brother. His brother is being held in el menya but no one is allowed to see him. Ahmed says that he was beaten alot in jail and that they took all of his books and his computer and his id from his home..they will not give info on his brother and told him not to return or he would never leave the place.They also will not return his belongings that they took from his home or his id. I do not know what he can do to help free his brother, does anyone know any way??? They are very religious men, both muslim.. Ahmed says that they have been accused of being terrorists but i highly doubt either are.. i know ahmed isnt, he swears that they have not done anything at all to be arrested.. So any thoughts out there???? I have never met these people in person only here on net so i dont know what is going on for sure but i have known them for about 8 months on here and always they have been very religious and respectful... i also talked with their sister on here too....... please if anyone can help let me know.

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Amensty International I am sure they would either be able to advise you or point you in the right direction
Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Try Amensty International I am sure they would either be able to advise you or point you in the right direction

Thank you i will pass it on to him, as i told him all i could do was ask around to see if anyone knows how to help him and his brother. I asked my fiance but he wasnt sure there could be anything done at all for them.

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of being negative, given the fact you don't really know these people - just "met" via internet - I would prepare to next hear how if only they could afford a lawyer all would be ok, but they have no money.

Really, in Egypt when people get into serious trouble, they turn to their close circle of family and friends. Not strangers they chat over the internet.

Sounds like a version of a well know scam.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
At the risk of being negative, given the fact you don't really know these people - just "met" via internet - I would prepare circle of family and friends. Not strangers they chat over the internet.

Sounds like a version of a well know scam.

I suggested a lawyer to him, the family has the money but what he told me was that he didnt feel a lawyer would be able to help because when he was being held a lawyer asked about him and the police told the lawyer that he was not there when in fact he was.... The family members other than his mothers husband do not want to get involved because of fear of the police. His mothers husband was arriving today to ask about his brother but Ahmed was afraid that they would also lie and say he was not there (they had told ahmeds family that ahmed died) then after a couple days released him. No they are not looking for money, they have plenty and are much too proud to ask for that. But this man is 20 years old and he is very scared for his brothers life who is 26,, he keeps telling me over and over how they did nothing wrong and he doesnt understand why they are doing this, the police will not tell him the reason they think they are terrorists.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, if they had plenty of money his family wouldn't be afraid of the police. It just doesn't add up. If his family isn't willing to help and use every connection they can think of, then there's probably a reason they're staying away.

As anywhere in the world these days, if your country's govt suspects you of any activities related to terrorism, there is not much you can do. It's the same as you being arrested in the US/UK and asking him for help/suggestions.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is under the 'emergency-law' like in a war-time. That means, that the police can take 'anybody' who is 'suspected'.
It doesn't mean, that those friends are really guilty.
After a couple of time they will get free for sure, if they are innocent.

Sara

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Attorney at Law
Member # 6396

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Attorney at Law     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want from me to help them, please contact me.

Yaser
Lawyer
info@egypt-law.com

Posts: 94 | From: Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by yaser12345:

Yaser
Lawyer
info@egypt-law.com

I will pass your info to him,,, as he knows best as to what is going on it is best you speak with him,, thank you so much

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume he was taken by the NS (National Security) after midnight?

Depends on how serious is the accusation. If he is not tied to any Group (say Jama'a Islamiyah, Takfeer, Qutbeen etc...) then it will be matter of days and connection MAY help, but if he got friends related to any group then it depends on what kind of grop was it and will at least take several months between court and jail even after proven innocent will stay for sometime and connections wont be able to do anything no matter innocent or not, they only can tell how difficult or good is the situation but no one can risk being involved in these cases. This is the case from my experince with this whole thing but things might have changed.

Pray for him

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mysticheart:
Hi to all
i am posting to see if there is any information i can get to give to a young friend of mine that lives in cairo egypt, well in Mansoura, he and his brother were arrested last week and now after 3 days they let him go but not his brother. His brother is being held in el menya but no one is allowed to see him. Ahmed says that he was beaten alot in jail and that they took all of his books and his computer and his id from his home..they will not give info on his brother and told him not to return or he would never leave the place.They also will not return his belongings that they took from his home or his id. I do not know what he can do to help free his brother, does anyone know any way??? They are very religious men, both muslim.. Ahmed says that they have been accused of being terrorists but i highly doubt either are.. i know ahmed isnt, he swears that they have not done anything at all to be arrested.. So any thoughts out there???? I have never met these people in person only here on net so i dont know what is going on for sure but i have known them for about 8 months on here and always they have been very religious and respectful... i also talked with their sister on here too....... please if anyone can help let me know.

The Hisham Mubarak Law Center

working for the promotion and the protection of human rights through campaigning, litigning, and legal research

Cairo office: 1, Souk El-Tewafikiah St., 11111, Cairo, Egypt. Tel./Fax: (202) 575 8908,Asoan office: 89 Cornich El Nil, Apt. 14, Tel./Fax: (202)(097)324382 email: hmlc@link.net, site: www.hmlc.fg2o.com/

http://www.ahrla.org/en/index-e.htm

http://www.eohr.org/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Automatic For The People (edited 03 April 2005).]

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi to all

Can you get him to contact me ASAP at:

automaticfortheegyptianpeople@yahoo.com

Thanks

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by yaser12345:

Yaser
Lawyer
info@egypt-law.com

Can you give them an idea on what remedies the have under the Law and what a Lawyer can do for them.

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The People:
Can you give them an idea on what remedies the have under the Law and what a Lawyer can do for them.

hi, I am trying to contact him but I am afraid that maybe he has been arrested again, we arranged a time for him to meet me online but he never showed and also i have left him messages on the yahoo but he has not replied,, this is very very unlike him, he never misses an appointed time with me and always leaves me messages, he has not. I am fearing the worst but praying and hoping for the best. Thanks to all,

Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
quote:
hi, I am trying to contact him but I am afraid that maybe he has been arrested again, we arranged a time for him to meet me online but he never showed and also i have left him messages on the yahoo but he has not replied,, this is very very unlike him, he never misses an appointed time with me and always leaves me messages, he has not. I am fearing the worst but praying and hoping for the best. Thanks to all,

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant his brother or anyone in his family for that matter.
Contrary to what Troubles stated, there's a lot that his family and anyone willing to help can do. The first thing he needs is a good Laywer, one who is knowledgable and experienced with similar cases.

I don't know the man and I don't know whether he is a criminal or not NOR DOES IT MATTER.

Emergency Law notwithstanding, he has certain rights under Egyptian Laws as well as the United Nations Charter.

The idea is to let his family know their rights and that they should not be afraid.
The more they know the less they will fear.

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Well that is what i mean, both Ahmed and his brother Mohammed were arrested to begin with each in different towns.. they let Ahmed go after 3 days of beating him but kept his brother. Ahmed contacted me to let me know what was happened and i told him i would try to find out something to help his brother. We arranged a day and time to meet online again and he didnt come, he said he was afraid because the police kept his id that he might have trouble again. He always always keeps his times with me and always leaves me offline messages, he has done neither since the day he told me that they had been arrested and what happened. I am so worried for him and his brother. His sister does not have me on her messenger i think she doesnt even have messenger, i talked with her through his messenger with him there too, so i think she does not have his passcode. Please pray... It has been near a week since i last heard anything, we talked every day before this happened.
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member

hi, I was told to relay a thank you to those of you that have offered help and to let you know he will contact you. Shukran to you my friends.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com